Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official S-Class Coupe Thread

Old 02-12-14, 01:03 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad Mercedes has righted the ship when it come to styling, I really thought they lost the plot when they redesigned the SL. But the new C class, S Class and redesigned E Class look really nice to me.
Old 02-12-14, 01:21 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Am I the only person who see's Accord Coupe in the rear third quarter profile?

I could see Accord coupe resemblance in that one side rear quarter shot especially with the rear end/tail lights. It is surprising how un Mercedes this coupe looks, much more sporty and smaller looking then previous S class/CL coupes but so far it looks like a good design, definitely something I would like to see in person.
Old 02-12-14, 01:41 PM
RYKR
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yowps3
I don't care what anyone says but before I purchased my 2IS I checked out the C250 and it was the epitome of trash.
Comparing the C250 to S-Class, is like comparing Shiet to Chocolate
Old 02-12-14, 07:57 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
yes you are the only person.
LOL

Yep
Old 02-13-14, 12:01 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 152 Likes on 90 Posts

The biggest surprise with this new coupe is Mercedes departure of vertical taillights to horizontal ones. This is totally out of left field, as the previous CL and much of the rest of the line-up is plagued with dumpy vertical units.
Old 02-13-14, 01:25 AM
pman787
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a beautiful car, but I'm not feeling the tail lights. Almost looks like something from VW.
Old 02-13-14, 10:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KevinGS
LOL

Yep
Lol!!! Make that two people in the universe....

Originally Posted by UDel
I could see Accord coupe resemblance in that one side rear quarter shot especially with the rear end/tail lights. It is surprising how un Mercedes this coupe looks, much more sporty and smaller looking then previous S class/CL coupes but so far it looks like a good design, definitely something I would like to see in person.
There is 0 accord resemblance, this is more elegant than ANYTHING Honda/acura could ever make.

Old 02-14-14, 12:16 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Glad Mercedes has righted the ship when it come to styling, I really thought they lost the plot when they redesigned the SL. But the new C class, S Class and redesigned E Class look really nice to me.
All the post-2012 MBs were designed under Gorden Wagener, except the current SL. That was designed in 2007 under Peter Pfeiffer. The current R172 SLK was rushedly designed after it in early 2008 and was set in stone by June of '08. The R231 SL sat on ice for 2 years, being green-lighted in early 2010. He hates it, almost as much as he nearly chastised the SLS' retro cues.

Wagener came literally as design patents were being filed for the yet to be released 2012 SLK in June 2008, so if anything he's already overseen design of future SL and SLK facelifts by now. The first MB fully designed under him was the current A-Class in 2009 and the latest publicized design was the recent E-Class facelift, finalized in 2011. Wagener if anything intensely hates the angular design philosophy of his predecessor, so that's why the E-Class facelift was so extensive, as is the upcoming major M-Class facelift.

The new 2014-15 S-Class range and 2015 C-Class were all designed between January 2009 and late 2010, while the E-Class refresh came after. Unlike TMC/Lexus, both Daimler and VAG maintain some of the longest design-to-launch lead times in the industry. The next E-Class, was already designed by December 2012 and isn't due until 2016. Prototypes for that should be out soon.
Old 02-14-14, 11:11 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
All the post-2012 MBs were designed under Gorden Wagener, except the current SL. That was designed in 2007 under Peter Pfeiffer. The current R172 SLK was rushedly designed after it in early 2008 and was set in stone by June of '08. The R231 SL sat on ice for 2 years, being green-lighted in early 2010. He hates it, almost as much as he nearly chastised the SLS' retro cues.

Wagener came literally as design patents were being filed for the yet to be released 2012 SLK in June 2008, so if anything he's already overseen design of future SL and SLK facelifts by now. The first MB fully designed under him was the current A-Class in 2009 and the latest publicized design was the recent E-Class facelift, finalized in 2011. Wagener if anything intensely hates the angular design philosophy of his predecessor, so that's why the E-Class facelift was so extensive, as is the upcoming major M-Class facelift.

The new 2014-15 S-Class range and 2015 C-Class were all designed between January 2009 and late 2010, while the E-Class refresh came after. Unlike TMC/Lexus, both Daimler and VAG maintain some of the longest design-to-launch lead times in the industry. The next E-Class, was already designed by December 2012 and isn't due until 2016. Prototypes for that should be out soon.
Thats pretty interesting insight there, thanks! At this rate, they will probably start working on the next S Class pretty soon.
Old 02-14-14, 01:07 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

First time in here and wow, pleasantly surprised. It looks great! Much better than the current CL.
Old 02-15-14, 12:54 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Lol!!! Make that two people in the universe....

There is 0 accord resemblance, this is more elegant than ANYTHING Honda/acura could ever make.
LOL, you are as predictable as the sun coming up with your usual Honda/Acura hate, should have put a 5..4..3..2..1 on the original comment before SICKLEX throws a hissy fit Honda was mentioned and makes a Honda bashing comment.

It is pretty apparent for many without a blind hate for Honda to see these 2 coupes do share a similar profile and look from some angles, same can be seen when you see the camoed models. Nobody is saying they look just like each other or stupid things like the Accord coupe inspired/influenced the S class coupe but from some angles the S class coupe does share a similar profile along with new BMW coupes.

Just a quick look at what some people are saying about it on other sites and you see others are also saying it has some similarities to an Accord coupe, better go attack them too.

http://jalopnik.com/2015-mercedes-s-...hed-1519282869
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/10/f...upe-leaks-out/
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...es+class+coupe

You can say the new S class coupe looks more elegant then ANYTHING BMW, Infiniti, Cadillac, Lexus could ever make too Well, many would say the Acura NSX looks better then anything Mercedes has made aside from the original 300SL Gullwing.
Attached Thumbnails Official S-Class Coupe Thread-2015-mercedes-benz-s-class-coupe-spy-photo-inline-photo-502141-s-original.jpg   Official S-Class Coupe Thread-2013-honda-accord-coupe-spy-shots-041-1024x640.jpg   Official S-Class Coupe Thread-2013-honda-accord-ex-l-v-6-coupe-rear-three-quarters.jpg   Official S-Class Coupe Thread-2015-s-class-coupe-_12_.jpg   Official S-Class Coupe Thread-120703264728748764.jpg  

Old 02-15-14, 01:30 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Thankyou!

And seriously I wouldn't hesitate to say that the Accord has better build quality and is put together better.
Old 02-15-14, 02:16 PM
LexFather

Udel I'll share your comments with my friends at Mercedes and give them a good laugh. Enjoy the sidelines.

Have a good day.

Last edited by LexFather; 02-15-14 at 02:26 PM.

Old 02-15-14, 02:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Three pages of "this S-Class Coupe looks like an Accord". Give it a rest folks. It's a coupe, looks like other coupes.

How about highlighting some features about the new S-Class Coupe such as:

MAGIC BODY CONTROL, the first "suspension with eyes", had its world première in the S-Class. With the curve tilting function the Coupé introduces a further world first for series-production cars: The Coupé leans into bends in a manner similar to a motorcyclist or skier. The lateral acceleration acting upon occupants is reduced in a way akin to when driving in a steep curve, and passengers sit more firmly. On country roads in particular, the new curve tilting function enhances motoring enjoyment and comfort.
Or the attention to detail. It's immaculate

Old 02-15-14, 02:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Three pages of "this S-Class Coupe looks like an Accord". Give it a rest folks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official S-Class Coupe Thread