Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are the days of negotiating new car prices coming to a end?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-14, 02:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
The whole art of negotiation is able to get the price without giving away your game.
If I can snag 0% with bad credit, that is a negotiation. How can/will it work with your plan?
I see what he's getting at. Think of it as appealing to an internet consumer who is the sort of consumer who would buy with a no-haggle price. Something like this wouldn't replace the process now, but add to what say an Internet sales manager can offer a consumer who wants to anonymously complete a fair deal online.

There are more and more internet consumers who want to do business this way.

For me, I know I can do better in person...so I probably would not do this. Or I would try it for a price comparison...
Old 10-28-14, 02:08 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
The whole art of negotiation is able to get the price without giving away your game.
If I can snag 0% with bad credit, that is a negotiation. How can/will it work with your plan?
What do you mean snag 0%
Old 10-28-14, 02:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
A lot of those "no-haggle" prices are psychological. I got a new car for my wife 2 years ago, and looked at a Toyota Highlander. I called a dealer about 1 hour from me, and they had a new "no-haggle" policy, which they claimed their customers "really responded well to." That was the highest quote I had on a Highlander out of 10 dealers.
The problem sometimes (in fact, most of the time), is that different price quotes are for apples and oranges. It's one thing to say that you got ten different quotes from ten different dealerships on a Highlander....that can happen any time. But, was it a discount for the the EXACT same Highlander, trim-line, color, options, accessories, etc......with the same factory-list price, at ALL TEN dealerships? Pardon me for being a little skeptical, but, I'd be willing to bet a solid no. It's rare to find the exact same car, with exactly the same options/list price, in stock at ten different nearly dealerships all at the same time. That almost never happens.

I'd bet that what happened is, if one dealership had a Highlander close to (or even exactly) what you and your wife were looking for, they simply quoted you a price on that one. Then the next dealership quoted you a price on one that was close to (but probably not the same) as the one at the first dealership.......and so on, down the line. So, in fact, the best deal out of the ten would probably have been the one with the lowest price on the one with the most equipment/options (assuming you wanted those options).

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-28-14 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-28-14, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

It depends on the car company. For Toyota/Lexus, they ship them in a few configurations, and the MSRP is exactly the same for those configurations.
Old 10-29-14, 04:01 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The problem sometimes (in fact, most of the time), is that different price quotes are for apples and oranges. It's one thing to say that you got ten different quotes from ten different dealerships on a Highlander....that can happen any time. But, was it a discount for the the EXACT same Highlander, trim-line, color, options, accessories, etc......with the same factory-list price, at ALL TEN dealerships? Pardon me for being a little skeptical, but, I'd be willing to bet a solid no. It's rare to find the exact same car, with exactly the same options/list price, in stock at ten different nearly dealerships all at the same time. That almost never happens.

I'd bet that what happened is, if one dealership had a Highlander close to (or even exactly) what you and your wife were looking for, they simply quoted you a price on that one. Then the next dealership quoted you a price on one that was close to (but probably not the same) as the one at the first dealership.......and so on, down the line. So, in fact, the best deal out of the ten would probably have been the one with the lowest price on the one with the most equipment/options (assuming you wanted those options).
In general you are correct, When you get multiple quotes you need to make sure it has same options. majority of time cars shipped eqiped with same options to the dealer. Ocasinally there will be cars with additional equipment, even if that so, once you got a price quote you can easily go to Edmunds.com and see each option invoice price

Last edited by FastTags; 10-29-14 at 06:17 AM.
Old 10-29-14, 05:41 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I understand what you are saying, but that is not the case here at all. Plus, you know as well as I do that, especially when you are shopping for a Limited version, 90% of the models sitting on dealer lots are equipped exactly the same--maybe some have the $300 towing package. I'm talking $1500 to $2000 swing from the "no-haggle" price.
Old 10-29-14, 07:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

dealers have NO incentive to provide 'fair' quotes unless forced to by negotiation or by major competition, but even with the latter they will try every trick possible to extract maximum money from customers. the tricks are all well knows, low ball or high ball on price, options, rates, trade-ins, terms, payments, 'dealer add ons', fees, and on and on... they can make all but the most diligent person's head spin.

for car purchase, only 3 things matter:
- trade value
- new car price with no surprises
- finance rates / terms (if not buying outright)

all the rest is aimed to confuse.

and 'no haggle' dealers just means the dealer wants to state a price, and no matter what it is, they can play shenanigans with trade and financing, so it's all a (bad) joke.