Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why is Subaru the only mainstream car maker to offer AWD sedans?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 08:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why is Subaru the only mainstream car maker to offer AWD sedans?

AWD is the rage among luxury cars. I realize that it provides an added benefit to snow belt customers, who might otherwise shy away from luxury cars that are RWD. Many luxury features trickle down to more mainstream cars after a few years (nav, heated seats/steering wheels, memory seats, etc, etc.). Why hasn't AWD made this list? Sure, you could get a Subaru or a VW CC 4-Motion (can you still get an AWD Fusion?); and I suppose you could add the Dodge / Chrysler flagship sedans to that list. But how about an AWD Camry, Accord, Altima, Maxima, Mazda6, Malibu, etc? Seems like it's an untapped market.
Old 02-08-14, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Ford Taurus/Fusion, Buick LaCrosse/Regal offer AWD. So did the Suzuki Kizashi sedan, if you want to look at a used one a couple of years old....Suzuki, of course, no longer sells new vehicles here in America. The Toyota Venza and Honda Crosstour offer AWD, though their rear rooflines don't necessarily qualify them as "sedans".

Subaru sells almost all of its American-market products with standard AWD because, except for the RWD BR-Z sports-coupe it shares with Scion (FR-S), Subaru decided that, as of 1995, that AWD would be its primary marketing strategy in the U.S. One cannot argue that, especially with the Forester and Outback, the standard AWD policy here has worked very well for them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-08-14 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-08-14, 09:03 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

The Fusion still offers it on the Titanium model.

I imagine the reason it hasn't taken in the mid-size sector yet is pricing, perhaps. I'd guess that they're not predicting enough demand for it to justify the expense of developing AWD systems for these models and offering them at a premium.
Old 02-08-14, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The Fusion still offers it on the Titanium model.

I imagine the reason it hasn't taken in the mid-size sector yet is pricing, perhaps. I'd guess that they're not predicting enough demand for it to justify the expense of developing AWD systems for these models and offering them at a premium.
I don't think that pricing and development is a major issue. Most of the AWD hardware has already been developed for the manufacturer's car-based SUVs, which often share platforms with sedans.
Old 02-08-14, 09:57 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think that pricing and development is a major issue. Most of the AWD hardware has already been developed for the manufacturer's car-based SUVs, which often share platforms with sedans.
I agree. Honda CRV and CrossTour could be adopted to Accord. Toyota Venza to Camry/Avalon. Mazda CX 5/7/9 could be adopted too.
Old 02-08-14, 10:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I agree. Honda CRV and CrossTour could be adopted to Accord. Toyota Venza to Camry/Avalon. Mazda CX 5/7/9 could be adopted too.
small % of buyers get them, thats why. For a long time Toyota has had AWD versions of all of their smaller cars in Japan, but never sold them outside of Japan. For instance, both Yaris and Corolla have AWD versions in Japan.
Old 02-08-14, 10:24 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

^^^ yup. People would rather focus on sky high mpg figures. The Fusion and upcoming 200 have AWD available though.
Old 02-08-14, 11:01 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subaru = Japanese Audi (in the way that both carmakers are promoting their AWD platforms ; quattro for Audi and Symmetrical All Wheel Drive for Subaru)

I guess in the field of Marketing, something like this would be considered as their "Unique Selling Proposition" (i.e. their push for promoting ALL WHEEL DRIVE vehicles).

Personally, I love what both Subaru and Audi are doing and I know they will continue with this approach because it works well for them
Old 02-08-14, 11:19 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

I read a rumor that the Mazda6 may come out with a diesel AWD model. If they did, I think that would be my next car.
Old 02-08-14, 12:06 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Subaru = Japanese Audi (in the way that both carmakers are promoting their AWD platforms ; quattro for Audi and Symmetrical All Wheel Drive for Subaru)

I guess in the field of Marketing, something like this would be considered as their "Unique Selling Proposition" (i.e. their push for promoting ALL WHEEL DRIVE vehicles).

Personally, I love what both Subaru and Audi are doing and I know they will continue with this approach because it works well for them
Audi is still FWD based. They don't have their own platform for most of their cars. One can say Audi share AWD system with Bugatti, but it's still a FWD based.
Old 02-08-14, 12:10 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWD adds cost, and hurts MPG because it increases power train losses. Consumers seem to desire less costly cars and better MPG more than they desire AWD. Because most cars we are talking about here aren't performance oriented anyways, AWD would add almost no benefit to the driver. These drivers aren't encountering wheel slip upon corner exit.

Auto manufacturers, too, must meet fleet average MPG, so unless the cost of the option makes up for the cost of a lower average, they'd prefer to not offer it. This is why we see it only offered on top trim levels, and why it mostly remains a luxury item.
Old 02-08-14, 02:19 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Luxury features trickled down because most consumers want navi, heated seats, and other fancy features; but most consumers don't want AWD.
Old 02-08-14, 04:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Why is Subaru the only mainstream car maker to offer AWD sedans?
Other than some of the above statements, which are all valid, standard AWD is also a selling point and part of the brand image. Because of this I despise the BRZ..
Old 02-08-14, 04:38 PM
LexFather

I think the market moved to SUVs for those that want AWD capability… These cars are FWD since it is cheaper to develop and offers packing efficiency.

Old 02-08-14, 05:02 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
AWD adds cost, and hurts MPG because it increases power train losses. Consumers seem to desire less costly cars and better MPG more than they desire AWD. Because most cars we are talking about here aren't performance oriented anyways, AWD would add almost no benefit to the driver. These drivers aren't encountering wheel slip upon corner exit.

Auto manufacturers, too, must meet fleet average MPG, so unless the cost of the option makes up for the cost of a lower average, they'd prefer to not offer it. This is why we see it only offered on top trim levels, and why it mostly remains a luxury item.
Yup Plus a lot of people don't live in regions that would benefit greatly from having AWD

Quick Reply: Why is Subaru the only mainstream car maker to offer AWD sedans?