Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on the 2014 nissan rogue

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-14, 09:02 AM
Felixldang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on the 2014 nissan rogue

Hey guys. So I'm thinking of buying the new nissan rouge, I live in the Midwest where we are getting pounded by the snow here ( seems never ending) anyways it have a is350 awd, but I think an SUV would be better prepare for out crazy winters.

Looking at the new rouge I see that it doesn't look to bad and when put in comparison with thenCRV and the RAV 4. I think it's has more amenities the the other two car cargo space 3row sitting (even tho it's very small) 33 miles per gallon etc, and it's reasonably priced.

What are you guys thoughts of this car..

Input will be very appreciated

Tks
Old 02-05-14, 09:08 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, huge improvement over previous model. ...and yes this thing w/AWD and A/T tires would work well in the snow. Its not gonna be powerful/quick with a 170hp motor but, it'll get the job done.

The Xterra has 261hp but its a true 4WD not AWD, no 3rd row and shtty MPG.

another option is the Mazda CX-5 w/184hp AWD MSRP: $26,065* (IDK about 3rd row) Mileage city/highway (mpg): 24/30

Last edited by bagwell; 02-05-14 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-05-14, 10:23 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got a 2014 CR-V, I felt that the CR-V is more powerful and more roomy, and the third row doesn't really serve a purpose for me. Does looks slightly more modern I guess you can say, and does have more features if you do choose the high end model, like the bird's eye monitor if those are important to you, but I only went with a basic EX.
Old 02-05-14, 10:43 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I like the new Rogue, however I think I would get a top-level Forester in this class.
Old 02-05-14, 11:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Good looking little ute, and worlds better than the outgoing model. Some reviews however have it placing somewhere midpack vs the competition
Old 02-05-14, 11:17 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Juke Nismo just to keep some driving fun.

Have you looked at the escape, seems like a better value than the Rogue
Old 02-05-14, 12:30 PM
Felixldang
Driver School Candidate

I'm not a fan of the honda crv look.. The back just doesn't do it for me :/

Tks for the input guys.. I haven't looked at the escape just cause I was alway drawn into foreign cars cause of reliability.. But if the Americans reliability is better then before I'll look into it.
Old 02-05-14, 12:30 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove all of these vehicles late last year and ultimately narrowed it down to the Rav4 and CX-5. It seems that the Rogue has some very nice features, a nice interior, and gets great MPG as well. The Rogue was not out when I was buying. In my experience, they are all a little different and offer unique pros and cons, so I recommend test driving them all. Good luck!

One thing I will add is that after last week's snow and ice storm here in Atlanta, I was blown away with my Rav4's AWD. The Dynamic Torque Control acts in a torque-vectoring manner and even driving up hill, down hill, quick maneuvers on ice, it kept me 100% on track without as much as a slip. I was easily cruising past 4x4 full size trucks and SUVs. The only other vehicles on the road around me (moving) were quattro Audis, SHAWD Acuras and a few others.
Old 02-05-14, 01:14 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Felixldang
I'm not a fan of the honda crv look.. The back just doesn't do it for me :/

Tks for the input guys.. I haven't looked at the escape just cause I was alway drawn into foreign cars cause of reliability.. But if the Americans reliability is better then before I'll look into it.
I wouldn't go that far. The Escape has been no pinnacle of reliability.
Old 02-05-14, 01:23 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
One thing I will add is that after last week's snow and ice storm here in Atlanta, I was blown away with my Rav4's AWD. The Dynamic Torque Control acts in a torque-vectoring manner and even driving up hill, down hill, quick maneuvers on ice, it kept me 100% on track without as much as a slip. I was easily cruising past 4x4 full size trucks and SUVs. The only other vehicles on the road around me (moving) were quattro Audis, SHAWD Acuras and a few others.
Care to explain? I don't think Dynamic Torque Control has any torque vectoring abilities. I'm pretty sure that system just sends more power to the rear wheels more often (up to 50%) when driving aggressively and to help mitigate understeer. Quite similar to Subaru's AWD system, except that system is always sending some power to all 4 wheels.

I was surprised to see so many SUV's on the side of the road during that ice storm, as these newer SUV's can come equipped with some advanced grip-focused 4WD systems (limited slip on both ends, 100% torque transfer, etc.).
Old 02-05-14, 02:21 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Care to explain? I don't think Dynamic Torque Control has any torque vectoring abilities. I'm pretty sure that system just sends more power to the rear wheels more often (up to 50%) when driving aggressively and to help mitigate understeer. Quite similar to Subaru's AWD system, except that system is always sending some power to all 4 wheels.
"Torque vectoring" allows the differential to send different amounts of power to each wheel. In Sport mode on Rav4s equipped with AWD, the system apportions power based on input from the steering angle and yaw rate sensors of VSC. When turning into and through a corner, power is sent to the rear wheels to maximize traction available at each wheel.

In standard mode, it operates much as you are saying, apportioning up to 50% of the power to the rear wheels when needed, and 10% in turns when additional traction isn't necessarily needed.

I can't say that Toyota's system offers a strong torque vectoring element like SH-AWD, which is constantly torque vectoring, but from what was explained to me and what I have read, it seems that in Sport mode specifically, differing amounts of power can reach each wheel based on need. If indeed different amounts of power can be sent to each wheel, that would would make it a torque vectoring system in some capacity. I am not 100% clear on this myself.
Old 02-05-14, 02:27 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Best to just go straight to the source. From toyota.com:

"Our All-Wheel Drive (AWD) system with Dynamic Torque Control made its debut on RAV4 AWD. It improves handling by distributing engine power from front to rear and manages the vehicle’s braking system from side to side for maximum control."

As for the Rogue, I think it's okay but not thrilled about the CVT. I would probably go with the RAV4 or maybe a CX-5.
Old 02-05-14, 02:35 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^Didn't even think to look at Toyota.com. Whoops. It seems that what distinguishes true torque vectoring is the ability to transfer power between wheels, and even from that excerpt above, it appears that power is sent front to rear and electronics manage the suspension side to side. I'm just unclear if/when/how power is sent side to side as well.

Sidenote: I hope that all of the next generation Lexus products get DTC AWD, and I imagine that they will. I have really enjoyed it on my car so far, be it spirited driving, dirt, wet grass, mud or ice. It's been a great system for me
Old 02-05-14, 02:45 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Cool stuff. I love that more attention has been given to the AWD systems in all vehicles as of late. Sorry for hijacking your thread OP. Get out there and go on some test drives!
Old 02-05-14, 02:46 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^Didn't even think to look at Toyota.com. Whoops. It seems that what distinguishes true torque vectoring is the ability to transfer power between wheels, and even from that excerpt above, it appears that power is sent front to rear and electronics manage the suspension side to side. I'm just unclear if/when/how power is sent side to side as well.
The way I read it is that the system can deliver the torque to the front or the rear, in various amounts. In addition, it can, in a way, send torque left or right, but it does it by decreasing the opposite wheel, by using the brakes on that wheel.

So let's say it's at 50/50 front/rear. One rear wheel slips. It can use the brakes on the one rear wheel to effectively give the opposite rear wheel more torque (by brake limiting the torque on the other wheel). It makes for a somewhat limited but cost effective implementation of full torque vectoring.

Clear in my head, but perhaps not in my text. I hope that helps.

Does anyone know what the Rogue has for AWD? (Trying to stay on topic )

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the 2014 nissan rogue