Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

time to get rid of the CD slot?

Old 02-05-14, 03:59 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I too still use CD's and would not be very happy if they removed it. They sound great with the ML system. I will not mess with a phone while driving, as we all know that is not a safe thing to do so if that was the only way to get music then I would be looking for a different vehicle.
Old 02-05-14, 06:16 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why do most new cars still have a CD slot? who the heck uses CDs anymore?

thoughts?
Unlike 8 track tapes and cassette tapes, CDs will last many years longer, and many people have huge collections. More importantly, you need that player for DVDs.
Old 02-05-14, 08:03 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

If my next car had bluetooth, then I'm going to stick an NFC tag in the console somewhere that pairs my phone with the radio and starts the music.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-05-14, 08:12 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still use the CD slot and don't want them to go away yet. AUX IN jacks are nice, but controlling whatever you have hooked up is awkward and the quality on that sort of connection can be really flaky. I burn MP3 CDs and am pretty happy. The quality is great, skip protection is very good, and it's minimal cost both in terms of money and physical real estate. In lieu of a CD slot, I'd accept a USB port for memory keys, but then I'd need to find a memory key just for the car. I can burn whatever CD I want and then forget about it.
Old 02-05-14, 08:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I still use the CD slot and don't want them to go away yet. AUX IN jacks are nice, but controlling whatever you have hooked up is awkward and the quality on that sort of connection can be really flaky. I burn MP3 CDs and am pretty happy. The quality is great, skip protection is very good, and it's minimal cost both in terms of money and physical real estate. In lieu of a CD slot, I'd accept a USB port for memory keys, but then I'd need to find a memory key just for the car. I can burn whatever CD I want and then forget about it.
sure, new cars have even 2 usb ports, like 3IS.

Still, it would be simply a cost cutting move to remove CD's, i think in the USA, around 30-40% of music is still sold as CD...
Old 02-05-14, 09:14 AM
dirtyjohn
Driver School Candidate

Yes remove the CD slot, bluetooth audio all the way!
Old 02-05-14, 10:45 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would still prefer they keep the disc drive slot.

However, some cars (like the facelifted Jeep Grand Cherokee) do not have CD players anymore.

I guess there is a trade-off involved (for those cars at least)
Old 02-05-14, 04:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

for those who want them to keep the slot, when was the last time you bought a cd?
Old 02-05-14, 05:37 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

for those who want them to keep the slot, when was the last time you bought a cd?
I still buy CD's....this was a recent purchase

Old 02-05-14, 06:12 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I know it will get phased out as it should but I still like to use my mixed CDs as an option. After us old school people die off it will no longer be thought of being an issue.
Old 02-05-14, 06:57 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Last month... well that's just days ago but you get the idea...
Old 02-05-14, 07:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I can't remember the last time I played a CD. Seriously...I think my 2010 ES was purchased and traded three years later and the CD player was never used. Never been used on my 4GS, never been used in the Jeep.

New Jeep/Chrysler products have no standard CD slot, you can buy one as an option and it goes in the armrest, just one disc. I personally wouldn't care if they did away with it.

To me the BT connection to my iPhone provides access to all the music I could ever want in great quality. Every CD I own from when I listened to CDs is downloaded into iTunes.
Old 02-05-14, 07:34 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
I know it will get phased out as it should but I still like to use my mixed CDs as an option. After us old school people die off it will no longer be thought of being an issue.
We didn't wait for baby boomers and older to die before yanking 8-Tracks and Cassettes

Thinking about it now, my family owns at least 3 vehicles that didn't come with CD players. The 91 LS that I'm driving(Radio/Cassette only, in a Lexus!), my sister's 99 Saturn SL2 (also Radio/Cassette only), and our 92 F350(AM/FM only, but that radio eventually shorted out and we replaced it with a CD player with aux inputs).

I guess I could throw in my dad's 67 Firebird which he upgraded to a cassette player.
Old 02-05-14, 08:12 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Back when music was really good!
Old 02-05-14, 08:19 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've only used the CD slot once but I like knowing that its there if I ever wanted to use it. I don't think the slot takes away from the console layout

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: time to get rid of the CD slot?