Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Volvo XC90

Old 08-27-14, 02:11 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Reliability isn't best for current models however Volvo is saying this car is a 100% Volvo design. Meaning no FoMoCo parts, I wonder how this will help or hurt the ratings
Volvo has so much riding on this vehicle I suspect they will make every effort to get it right. As for our experience with past Volvo reliability, prior to the current ES300h, my wife preferred Volvos. She drove a 1984 GL, a 1992 850 (one of my all time favorite cars), a 2000 S80, and a 2006 S80, with no issues.
Old 08-27-14, 02:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If the XC90 is any indication (well S60 and XC60 got the ball rolling), I expect the next S80 to be a stellar offering too
Old 08-27-14, 03:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Reliability isn't best for current models however Volvo is saying this car is a 100% Volvo design. Meaning no FoMoCo parts, I wonder how this will help or hurt the ratings
it is really hard to know... considering how much new things vehicle has and Volvo not being "reliability" brand, it is quite possible there might be issues... From platform to engines to infotainment/tech, it is all brand new.

But thats why it is a cool car and why you have a warranty...

In general, I dont think it is smart of them to price their vehicles above Lexus in USA and new XC90 above Q7 4.2 V8 TDI in UK. I always saw Volvo as "premium", "smart buy" brand and not straight up luxury... If I was deciding between XC90 4cly diesel and Q7 V8 diesel for the same price, I am not sure I would even remotely consider XC90.

Same goes for Jaguar - even though Jaguar definitely has big brand name behind it, their pricing is really too high and their sales have been suffering greatly due to that.
Old 08-27-14, 03:31 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is really hard to know... considering how much new things vehicle has and Volvo not being "reliability" brand, it is quite possible there might be issues... From platform to engines to infotainment/tech, it is all brand new.

But thats why it is a cool car and why you have a warranty...

In general, I dont think it is smart of them to price their vehicles above Lexus in USA and new XC90 above Q7 4.2 V8 TDI in UK. I always saw Volvo as "premium", "smart buy" brand and not straight up luxury... If I was deciding between XC90 4cly diesel and Q7 V8 diesel for the same price, I am not sure I would even remotely consider XC90.

Same goes for Jaguar - even though Jaguar definitely has big brand name behind it, their pricing is really too high and their sales have been suffering greatly due to that.
But then perhaps Volvo is gunning for the such respect. Future products will indicate if this is true or not but I do applaud them for trying.

And just to play devils advocate, aside from Mercedes I think Jaguar is far more luxurious than BMW or Audi and hence can command a larger premium, that and their pedigree. Entry XE should drive sales numbers, but still the more limited the cars are (similar to Ferrari) they tend to be revered in a better light. With XE, XF looks to elevate and surely the XJ will too. F-Type has also forced the XK to go big or go home. I think Jaguar is in a good position.
Old 08-27-14, 04:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
But then perhaps Volvo is gunning for the such respect. Future products will indicate if this is true or not but I do applaud them for trying.

And just to play devils advocate, aside from Mercedes I think Jaguar is far more luxurious than BMW or Audi and hence can command a larger premium, that and their pedigree. Entry XE should drive sales numbers, but still the more limited the cars are (similar to Ferrari) they tend to be revered in a better light. With XE, XF looks to elevate and surely the XJ will too. F-Type has also forced the XK to go big or go home. I think Jaguar is in a good position.
Consider that Jaguar sold only 77000 vehicles in 2013, which has been their record for a while. Not sure if I consider that successful - luckily they have Land Rover besides it to spruce up the numbers so overall they are profitable and growing... but I bet Jaguar side with low sales is likely losing money even now.

At the same time Volvo is opposite brand from Jaguar. They cant get these profit margins that get JLR out of hot water. They never had such luxury brand reputation and their main deal for next year is that they will start exporting cars from China to USA. How can they achieve same margins as JLR?

Would you consider getting loaded XC90 at the same price as RR Sport SE?
Old 08-27-14, 06:00 PM
Hoovey689

Consider that Jaguar sold only 77000 vehicles in 2013, which has been their record for a while. Not sure if I consider that successful - luckily they have Land Rover besides it to spruce up the numbers so overall they are profitable and growing... but I bet Jaguar side with low sales is likely losing money even now.

At the same time Volvo is opposite brand from Jaguar. They cant get these profit margins that get JLR out of hot water. They never had such luxury brand reputation and their main deal for next year is that they will start exporting cars from China to USA. How can they achieve same margins as JLR?

I'm sure the XE will add the volume they need to continue making compelling luxury vehicles that can command higher prices. Adding to their already rich heritage.

Volvo on the other hand needs the volume, but it is crucial that they lay the groundwork now for even more luxurious vehicles in the future. What better cars to do it with than their XC90 and the S80/S100 flagships. If they can change consumer perception of the brand, smaller cars like the S60, C30, C70 will be more easily justified for their premiums too. Perhaps they need another S40 (modernized of course) to drive volume.

If by loaded you mean the 400hp version of the XC90 vs the Supercharged V6 in the RR Sport SE then yes (if I'm getting a RR it's going to have a V8 )
Old 08-28-14, 07:05 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If money is not an issue, I would. I see the RR sport everywhere. I would get the 400hk plugin hybrid T8 version. It's fun to be different when you can afford it.
Old 08-28-14, 10:30 AM
flyfishman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking SUV, just unfortunate this is a Chinese-owned brand now. Refuse to support.
Old 08-28-14, 11:23 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfishman
Nice looking SUV, just unfortunate this is a Chinese-owned brand now. Refuse to support.
That seems unfortunate to have that type of immediate write off. The Chinese provided a much needed infusion of capital and investment, and look what they've been able to do. A whole new family of pretty competitive and modern powertrains and an all-new modular architecture. Similar big gains for Jaguar/Land Rover with Tata's bankroll.
Old 08-28-14, 11:42 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfishman
as much as I understand your point on this...the device or PC you're typing these very words on are probably from China too. it's basically impossible to not purchase something with a Chinese manufacturing component.

nevertheless, PBM is right...had it not been for the Chinese investments for the brand, they were basically folding up and becoming extinct. in this effort, they've stirred some news and hopefully continues upward
Old 08-28-14, 01:34 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by pbm317
That seems unfortunate to have that type of immediate write off. The Chinese provided a much needed infusion of capital and investment, and look what they've been able to do. A whole new family of pretty competitive and modern powertrains and an all-new modular architecture. Similar big gains for Jaguar/Land Rover with Tata's bankroll.
Still mainly Swedish design, engineering etc.. They're just using the Chinese coffers to pay for it. I have no problem with it
Old 08-29-14, 12:47 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Polstar XC90. No the real deal, but it looks nice!
Old 08-29-14, 03:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If by loaded you mean the 400hp version of the XC90 vs the Supercharged V6 in the RR Sport SE then yes (if I'm getting a RR it's going to have a V8 )
no, Volvo pricing means loaded 4cly turbo is about the same as RR Sport SE supercharged V6. With similar (but not same) equipment, there is $2k extra for RR Sport SE V6.

plugin hybrid version of XC90 has no pricing announced (or release date).... $66k is for loaded 4cly model.

So loaded 4cly XC90 is similarly priced to RRS SE V6 in USA and Q7 V8 TDI in Europe.

I have a feeling that people thinking that pricing is cool dont realize that it is for 4cly turbo engine. In any case, we will see how many buyers vote with their wallets... since that is what is important in the end.
Old 08-29-14, 05:32 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

no, Volvo pricing means loaded 4cly turbo is about the same as RR Sport SE supercharged V6. With similar (but not same) equipment, there is $2k extra for RR Sport SE V6.

plugin hybrid version of XC90 has no pricing announced (or release date).... $66k is for loaded 4cly model.

So loaded 4cly XC90 is similarly priced to RRS SE V6 in USA and Q7 V8 TDI in Europe.

I have a feeling that people thinking that pricing is cool dont realize that it is for 4cly turbo engine. In any case, we will see how many buyers vote with their wallets... since that is what is important in the end.
The new 4 cylinder engine is more fuel efficient. But it all depends on how it drives.
Old 08-29-14, 10:18 AM
Hoovey689

I understand just wasn't sure if you talking about a loaded 316hp or 400hp powertrain as both are motivated by a 2.0. If it's the former then yes I'd so with RRS SE V6, but if given the choice of that 400hp XC90 or the 340hp RRS SE I'd go Volvo. Both are great cars, and have equally impressive attributes. Both vehicles would seemingly make their owners happy, LR maybe more strongly because of the badge, but the Volvo is so unique. So many quirks, yet thoughtful, inspired, not pretty but handsome in its own right. Besides looks are subjective, I'm sure there are plenty who appreciate Swedish design, LR design won't appeal to 100% buyers nor will any automaker. A 400hp Volvo sounds like a grand idea to me

Originally Posted by UpSideDown

Polstar XC90. No the real deal, but it looks nice!
I like

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Volvo XC90