Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Volvo XC90

Old 06-04-14, 05:42 AM
nick01
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really hope this comes with a high mpg diesel option. If they can deliver tdi or better performance that would be an awesome setup. Like it so far though
Old 07-08-14, 05:50 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 Volvo XC90 Gets an All 4-Cylinder Engine Lineup, Including 400HP Plug-In Hybrid

The all new Volvo XC90 will be the cleanest powerful SUV in the world, according to the Swedish carmaker. Thanks to a newly-developed Twin Engine technology, the range-topping model will emit just 60 grams of CO2 per kilometer, despite having a powertrain producing 400hp and 640 Nm (472 lb-ft) of torque.

The all-wheel drive, seven-seat SUV will offer a top of the range plug-in hybrid model that will carry the T8 badge and will combine a 2.0-liter four-cylinder supercharged and turbocharged Drive-E petrol engine powering the front wheels and an 80 hp (60 kW) electric motor driving the rear wheels. Combined output stands at an impressive 400hp and 640 Nm (472 lb-ft) of torque.

The supercharger fills in the bottom end of the power range to give the engine a big, naturally-aspirated feel, while the turbocharger kicks in when the airflow builds up. The electric motor on the rear wheels provides immediate torque. However, at the push of a button the driver can switch to quiet and emission-free city driving on pure electric power, with a range of around 40 km (25 miles).

The XC90 lineup will consist of other four-cylinder petrol and diesel Drive-E engines as well, including the D5 twin turbo diesel engine with 225hp and 450 Nm (332 lb-ft) of torque which returns 6 l/100 km (39.2 mpg US), as well as the D4 turbo diesel engine with 190 hp and 400 Nm (295 lb-ft) of torque which averages around 5 l/100 km (47 mpg US).

Volvo will also offer two petrol engines, a T6 turbo engine with supercharger and turbo with 320 hp and a maximum torque of 400 Nm (295 lb-ft), and a T5 with 254 hp and 350 Nm (258 lb-ft) of torque.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/201...-cylinder.html
Old 07-08-14, 05:56 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Supercharger + Turbocharger + Battery =

It seems like Volvo is throwing everything at this new XC90. I'm very excited to see the final product.
Old 07-08-14, 07:31 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice one Volvo!! Certainly sounds good on paper!!

Its really nice to see Volvo try and make good cars, this engine/motor combo sounds really complex, I hope they can keep it reliable. Also this car is kinda preventing me from pulling the trigger on a new RRS or X5. Im waiting for them to reveal the body before committing to anything.
Old 07-08-14, 08:17 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

OK Volvo. You have my attention. That's pretty awesome!
Old 07-08-14, 08:49 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The interior shots look good, and this powertrain is very interesting. Excited
Old 07-08-14, 10:00 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The powertrain does sound interesting but why not use a V6 instead of a twin-charged (super- + turbo-charged) 4-cyl? There is going to be a lot of pressure in that engine, with the addition of a supercharger for low-end torque and turbocharger for high-end torque. The twincharger will make that small 4-cyl engine drink fuel like a larger 6-cylinder engine.

But I guess Volvo made the decision to use only 4-cylinder engines from now on, regardless of the car it powers. They should have taken a lesson from Lotus and bought the Toyota GR V6 engine.
Old 07-08-14, 11:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The powertrain does sound interesting but why not use a V6 instead of a twin-charged (super- + turbo-charged) 4-cyl? There is going to be a lot of pressure in that engine, with the addition of a supercharger for low-end torque and turbocharger for high-end torque. The twincharger will make that small 4-cyl engine drink fuel like a larger 6-cylinder engine.

But I guess Volvo made the decision to use only 4-cylinder engines from now on, regardless of the car it powers. They should have taken a lesson from Lotus and bought the Toyota GR V6 engine.
official emissions and consumption will be lower, plus asian countries have engine size based taxes plus Volvo wants to develop as few engine series as possible.
Old 07-08-14, 03:18 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
official emissions and consumption will be lower, plus asian countries have engine size based taxes plus Volvo wants to develop as few engine series as possible.
Same with europe, anything over a 2l is big and is taxed at a premium.
Old 07-08-14, 03:59 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
You are right -- official, government-mandated fuel consumption and emissions measurements will be lower -- but I am willing to speculate that real-world consumption will be no better (if not worse) than a comparatively-powered V6.

And now that all automakers are cheating the system by offering sub-2-litre engines with as much power (and as much fuel consumption) as larger engines, it is time to change that taxing structure.

That twincharged engine will always be running boosted (never running naturally aspirated as it theoretically could with just a turbocharger) so it really is cheating the system.
Old 07-08-14, 04:11 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the Drive-E will prove to be closer to its EPA figures because it's always running boosted.
Old 07-08-14, 04:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
You are right -- official, government-mandated fuel consumption and emissions measurements will be lower -- but I am willing to speculate that real-world consumption will be no better (if not worse) than a comparatively-powered V6.

And now that all automakers are cheating the system by offering sub-2-litre engines with as much power (and as much fuel consumption) as larger engines, it is time to change that taxing structure.

That twincharged engine will always be running boosted (never running naturally aspirated as it theoretically could with just a turbocharger) so it really is cheating the system.
yep... but you cant change taxing system in tens of countries... so they work with what they have. Many, many Asian countries have huge taxes on anything over 2.0l in size while not caring about fuel consumption at all.... and most are moving to huge tax differences based on fuel consumption - so basically f* real world, if you want good price of the vehicle for your customers, you need low MPG, who cares how you get it.

Here in Europe, in my country we have 30% tax difference between 518d and 535i. Imagine 535i having "gas guzzler" tax of $30k, who would buy it? Everyone would get 520i and pay $30k less in taxes.

Many asian countries have crazy taxes over 2.0l and 2.5l, up to 50% extra tax as well.
Old 07-08-14, 04:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I think the Drive-E will prove to be closer to its EPA figures because it's always running boosted.
basically when it is using S/C, it is going into Miller cycle for better fuel consumption... but of course, it is going to be much better in EPA. There are other cars using the same system, from Audi to small Nissan 1.2l engine and all get awesome official mpg's and not so great real world (of course still great engines).
Old 07-08-14, 07:06 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Impressive engine tech. Loving this vehicle more and more, but too big for purchase. Next XC60 in 2-3 years (?) looks promising.

One pet peeve, not fond of the Chrysler/Jeep looking center dash display/vents.
Old 07-08-14, 11:40 PM
nick01
Pole Position

Now that is what I'm talking about. Stepping up so far Volvo. When are they supposed to be hitting the streets?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Volvo XC90