Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Volvo XC90

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 08:58 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nick01
Now that is what I'm talking about. Stepping up so far Volvo. When are they supposed to be hitting the streets?
Not until sometime in Q2 2015 most likely. I think we're still about 9 months or so away.
Old 07-09-14, 03:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Not until sometime in Q2 2015 most likely. I think we're still about 9 months or so away.
which in the spectrum of things isn't so bad considering how long we've been waiting for this anyway
Old 07-09-14, 04:00 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
which in the spectrum of things isn't so bad considering how long we've been waiting for this anyway
I'm more impressed that the 10+ year old design from Volvo can meet today's Top Safety Pick + rating when many of Toyota/Lexus new designs can't.
Old 07-22-14, 06:17 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Volvo XC90's Parking Assist Tricks Revealed

Don't you feel a sense of accomplishment when you park your car in the tightest of spots without touching another vehicle or the curb, all by yourself, perhaps with a little help from a storefront's window reflections?

If the answer is yes, then you'll probably be meh about all these parking assist systems found on modern cars, but on the other hand, you might be grateful they exist the next time someone leaves their vehicle's paint on your bumper…

To assist less capable drivers when parking (well, they don't say it like that, but isn't it what they mean?), Volvo has created a suit of systems for its upcoming 2015 XC90 SUV, which include an automated Park Assist Pilot that offers automatic reversing into a parking bay as well as entering and exiting a parallel parking spot, plus a Bird's Eye view displayed on a screen.

The automated parking system utilizes 12 ultrasonic sensors positioned around the car and it takes over the steering wheel, with the driver controlling the gearbox and gas pedal. A display in the instrument cluster then guides the driver via texts and animations. The system works when a parallel parking spot measures at least 1.2 times the car’s length, while in a bay parking situation, the slot needs to be as wide as the car plus one meter (3.3 feet).

Also found in the new XC90 is a 360-degree Surround View that displays the area around the car as seen from a point above and a Cross Traffic Alert, which warns the driver of approaching traffic up to 30 meters (~ 100 feet) on each side through audio and visual signals on the center screen.

The new XC90 will be presented at the Paris Motor Show this October.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/07/new...st-tricks.html
Old 07-22-14, 06:18 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2015 Volvo XC90 safety equipment previewed [videos]

Debuts next month

Volvo has released extensive details about the numerous safety features incorporated in the upcoming all-new XC90.

Promising to be "one of the safest cars in the world", the 2015 XC90 will be the first vehicle in the world to offer run-off road protection. The car will automatically detect an accident causing the car to go off the road and the system will react by tightening the front safety belts in order to keep the occupants in position. The belts will remain firm until the car comes to a full stop while Safe Positioning will prevent spine injuries by reducing vertical occupant forces up to 33 percent as the energy is absorbed between the seat and seat frame cushions.

Volvo is also offering systems to avoid run-off scenarios by implementing Lane Keeping Aid which applies additional steering torque if the XC90 is about to exit the lane unintentionally. There's also Driver Alert Control detecting and warning inattentive or tired drivers while Rest Stop Guidance provides info about the nearest rest area.

Moreover, the all-new Volvo XC90 features an auto brake function activated in an intersection if the driver turns in front of an oncoming car. The system can detect a potential crash and it automatically brakes to avoid an impact.

The list of safety and assistance system continues with extended road sign information, blind spot information and queue assist which in slow-moving queues automatically accelerates, brakes and steers the car according to the vehicle in front.

We remind you about a year ago Volvo provided details about the XC90's safety tech saying it will come with animal detection, adaptive cruise control (with steer assist), as well as road edge and barrier detection (with steer assist). They also talked about pedestrian detection in darkness and Car 2 Car Communication (available from 2016) which will work based on communication between transmitters fitted in cars and the road infrastructure (road signs, traffic lights).

Volvo has already announced a full reveal is scheduled for August.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11407227...eviewed-videos
Old 07-22-14, 06:47 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been this excited for a Volvo ever, I hope this is as good as the previews suggest.
Old 07-22-14, 09:57 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by doge
I haven't been this excited for a Volvo ever, I hope this is as good as the previews suggest.
Couldn't agree more
Old 08-12-14, 06:28 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Volvo Releases First Exterior Photo of All-New XC90, Details New Modular Platform

There are only two weeks left until the Stockholm preview of the all-new Volvo XC90 SUV, the brand’s first vehicle to be built on the Scalable Product Architecture (SPA).

On this occasion, Volvo has released details about the modular chassis technology developed in-house, as well as the first exterior photo of the SUV, which reveals a part of the front end including the headlight and a portion of the grille.

The design of the LED daytime running lights is similar to the one seen on Volvo’s latest concept cars: the Concept Estate, Concept XC Coupe and Concept Coupe. The T-shaped running lights have been christened “Thor’s Hammer” by the design team after the shape of the hammer used by the famous Norse god of thunder Thor. The grille appears to be much bigger than the current XC90’s, with another significant detail being the sculpted hood.

Volvo says SPA has been under development for the past four years and is the cornerstone of the company’s ongoing $11billion (€8.2 billion) transformation plan. Following the introduction of the XC90, the platform will be rolled out across Volvo’s product range in the future.

According to the Swedes, the modular platform has two main advantages. First of all, its flexibility liberates Volvo’s engineers and designers, allowing them to come up with a wide range of new design features, and improves drivability by introducing safety features, connected car technologies and creating more interior space. For instance, the new XC90 will feature three rows of seats for up to 7 passengers, with the seats in the third row being usable by passengers up to 170 cm tall.

Secondly, SPA allows a wide range of cars, powertrains, electrical systems and technologies to be fitted on the same architecture, helping Volvo achieve significant economies of scale.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/08/vol...-photo-of.html
Old 08-12-14, 07:15 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to see this thing!
Old 08-12-14, 09:22 AM
Hoovey689

TWO MORE WEEKS ! Should be a good spark for a Volvo resurgence

Originally Posted by pbm317
I'm more impressed that the 10+ year old design from Volvo can meet today's Top Safety Pick + rating when many of Toyota/Lexus new designs can't.
Yeah I'm pretty certain this 08' would crumple like a soda can, I'm just relying on my attention and the cars agility
Old 08-12-14, 09:33 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
TWO MORE WEEKS ! Should be a good spark for a Volvo resurgence

Yeah I'm pretty certain this 08' would crumple like a soda can, I'm just relying on my attention and the cars agility
Don't you want it to crumple during an accident ?
Old 08-12-14, 11:52 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has blade suspension... Interesting...
Old 08-12-14, 12:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by weezer
I absolutely LOVE my 14' Kia Sorento SXL, but I think this Volvo will be my next purchase! I need a little extra space, love the style direction, and the infotainment looks perfect. My other main reason for considering this is safety. I drive about 40,000 miles a year or so, and safety is my biggest concern. Second to safety is reliability. Any previous or current Volvo owners that can speak about the safety or reliability. I know this will be an all new platform, but hopefully they are doing this right and not rushing it to market. Thanks!
Make sure that the new XC90's ride is not too stiff for you. Consumer Reports has remarked on how many Volvos have stiff, uncomfortable rides. But I agree that the interior trim looks nice, at least from posted images....arguably the best one I've seen on an American-market Volvo product.
Old 08-16-14, 05:40 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2015 Volvo XC90 Features Thor’s Hammer Running Lights

Just the Facts:
  • The 2015 Volvo XC90's front end gives a major nod to Norse mythology with its T-shaped running lights that are patterned after Thor's hammer, the automaker said in a statement on Tuesday.
  • Thor, the Norse god of thunder, used his hammer to battle trolls, giants and dragons.
  • The redesigned XC90 will do battle with the 2015 Acura MDX, Buick Enclave and Infiniti QX60.

GOTHENBURG, Sweden — The 2015 Volvo XC90's front end gives a major nod to Norse mythology with its T-shaped running lights that are patterned after Thor's hammer, the automaker said in a statement on Tuesday.

Thor, the Norse god of thunder, used his hammer to battle trolls, giants and dragons.

The redesigned XC90 will do battle with the 2015 Acura MDX, Buick Enclave and Infiniti QX60.

The Swedish seven-passenger SUV will be unveiled in two weeks in Stockholm. Key details such as U.S. pricing and launch timing have not been announced.

The story of the new XC90 has been unfolding in bits all summer. One of the running themes is the SUV's nod to its Swedish heritage and use of Swedish materials. For instance, the gearshift lever is made of crystal from Orrefors, the Swedish glassmaker.

The announcement about the Thor's hammer running lights came as Volvo revealed the first look at the "face" of the SUV.

The face is "distinguished by its T-shaped running lights, christened ‘Thor's hammer' by the design team after the shape of the hammer used by the famous Norse god of thunder Thor," said Volvo in a statement.

The unusual light treatment is designed to give the XC90 "presence" on the road, according to the automaker.

"Anyone who looks in their rearview mirror is going to know immediately that there is a new XC90 behind them," said Thomas Ingenlath, Volvo senior vice president of design.

The XC90 will be built on Volvo's Scalable Product Architecture, a modular chassis technology said to give engineers and designers the chance to introduce new design features, interior flexibility and a wider range of powertrains.

Volvo says the XC90 T8 twin-engine plug-in hybrid model will be the only seven-seat plug-in hybrid SUV available in the U.S.

Another option for U.S. buyers will be a 316-horsepower T6 supercharged and turbocharged gasoline engine.

Edmunds says: Volvo turns to Norse mythology to craft what it hopes will be an SUV of mythic proportions.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015...ng-lights.html
Old 08-16-14, 08:46 PM
Hoovey689

The 2015 Volvo XC90's front end gives a major nod to Norse mythology with its T-shaped running lights that are patterned after Thor's hammer, the automaker said in a statement on Tuesday.
Thor, the Norse god of thunder, used his hammer to battle trolls, giants and dragons.
I love homage

This gives me an idea for a XC90 Polestar...

Quick Reply: 2016 Volvo XC90