Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

maserati ghibli superbowl ad - lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-14, 03:35 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you mean your thread? anyway, not sure we need to put all car advertising discussion in one thread since the topic is very broad and covers every brand.
Make a dedicated The Official Superbowl Advertisement Thread then, there's several ads that could be clustered together for better archiving
Old 02-03-14, 04:18 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe like a maserati it was intended to be 'unusual', and maybe they've succeeded because we're talking about it, but i can't imagine it made anyone want to buy one!?
Well the main purpose of a lot of these kinds of ads is just to raise awareness. Even if it didn't sell anyone on the car by itself, it might have made a few prospective buyers aware of its existence. And maybe they then googled the car, found out some more and thought "hey, that's kinda cool! I think I'll go waste some moniez on that!"

... But yeah, with all that said, it was still a pretty strange ad.
Old 02-03-14, 04:25 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Yea, I didn't get the 'car' part of the commercial either. It was more like someones surreal dream.

And what was the part of changing the plugs in the motor cycle engine? Well maybe the stockholders will understand the money they spent
watching it again, yes, the message was great, but it still comes across as a PSA against bullying more than a car commercial.
Old 02-03-14, 04:50 PM
ssigs4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That exhaust note was pure sex. No one can compete with that on an oem system. Ad must have worked it drove so many people to Maserati's web site that it crashed.
Old 02-03-14, 05:02 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

lol I guess they see themselves as the underdog. Sounded like something from the hunger games, lol.

Narrator was a poor choice.
Old 02-03-14, 06:55 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Weird commercial for Maserati - no mention of Italian heritage.

I agree the Jag one was much better.

Old 02-03-14, 07:39 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The idea behind this style of commercial is clearly to lock one's attention where you can't help but find out what all the drama buildup is about. It succeeds at that but yes there's technical mistakes, such as a child narrator.

Airing the 90 sec spot cost $12 million, not counting production costs. Maserati is extremely low volume. How many cars with they need to sell just to make that money back? And how many will sell because of this commercial ? Worth it?
Old 02-03-14, 08:05 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

It done its job, it has all of you talking about it. I don't see a thread about the silverados ad campaign.
Old 02-03-14, 08:08 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
The idea behind this style of commercial is clearly to lock one's attention where you can't help but find out what all the drama buildup is about. It succeeds at that but yes there's technical mistakes, such as a child narrator.

Airing the 90 sec spot cost $12 million, not counting production costs. Maserati is extremely low volume. How many cars with they need to sell just to make that money back? And how many will sell because of this commercial ? Worth it?
Ghibli has been selling well, U.S sales are up 76%, Keep in mind its priced to compete with GS, E, 5, etc...
Old 02-03-14, 08:18 PM
vietzboi87
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love how the car sound in the commercial.
Old 02-03-14, 09:59 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also thought it was a great ad. Drew the viewer in and really held their attention once the car did appear, vs. just a bunch of car shots as usual.

Funny how Maserati and Infiniti are looking quite similar these days.
Old 02-04-14, 04:30 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

yes, at a glance, you could mistaken it for an infiniti.

commercial is spot on. It's so ugly you'd only want to drive it in the dark, and with black paint, when no one can see you.
Old 02-04-14, 08:13 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

http://press.autotrader.com/2014-02-...er-Bowl-XLVIII

Auto Ads Win Over Car Shoppers During Super Bowl® XLVIII

Feb 3, 2014

ATLANTA, Feb. 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Automakers spent millions on ads during Super Bowl® XLVIII to grab the attention of car shoppers, and based on search activity on AutoTrader.com®, the investment paid off. For the third year in a row, analysts measured activity on AutoTrader.com during the big game to see which ads went beyond entertaining viewers to entice them to actively seek out more information about the brands and vehicles shown.

One of the big stories of the night was around shopper interest in luxury vehicles, particularly exotics. Surprise advertiser Maserati saw the biggest lift in searches at both the make and model level: searches for the Ghibli model rose 2,143% the hour after their ad ran, while searches for Maserati as a whole were up 385%. First-time big game advertiser Jaguar wasn't too far behind – searches for the F-Type were up 1,460% the hour after their "Rendezvous" spot ran, while searches for Jaguar overall rose 208%.

Luxury vehicles from the higher volume manufacturers also drew in a significant amount of car shopper interest: the Audi A3 saw the third largest gain from a make/model perspective with a 379% increase in search activity coming from their "Doberhuahua" spot, with Hyundai right on their heels with a 373% lift in searches for the Genesis. However, automakers didn't necessarily have to have a high-end offering to break through; the lift in searches for mainstream models Toyota Highlander and Ford Fusion were also significant – up 84% and 81%, respectively.

"While the strong performance of the exotic manufacturers was impressive, it's in a way more relevant to see which of the volume vehicles broke through," said Rick Wainschel, vice president of automotive insights, AutoTrader.com. "Models like the A3, Genesis, Fusion and Highlander have a significant amount of competition and are on more consumers' shopping lists, so it means a bit more when they can stand out."

From a brand perspective, Kia was another big winner of the night, with a search lift of 150% the hour following "The Truth" spot. Hyundai and Audi performed well in the brand category as well, with searches up 50% and 47%, respectively. The Chrysler brand ad featuring Bob Dylan was another strong performer, with a lift of 47%.

"It's not easy to achieve these kinds of large shifts in search activity at the brand level, so it's clear that these ads were doing something right," said John Kovac, vice president of Marketing, AutoTrader Group. "The Kia ad in particular was a great example of leveraging smart creative to shift brand perception in a very relevant, intentional way, and it definitely resonated with car shoppers."

To reach these conclusions, AutoTrader.com expert analysts measured search activity at the make and model level in the hour immediately after the ad ran and compared it to activity the hour before the game (5-6 p.m. EST). This timeframe was determined to be the most statistically appropriate baseline after an extensive analysis of site traffic patterns over several years. With more than 17 million consumers visiting the site every month to research and shop for their next vehicle, AutoTrader.com is an ideal bellwether of automotive shopping behavior.

AutoTrader.com analysts will continue to monitor how the ads impact searches in the days and weeks ahead to identify which spots were most effective in sustaining consumer attention. Researchers will also be gathering attitudinal insights from on-site surveys and the site's big game social landing page, where consumers can watch all of the automotive commercials, comment and vote on their favorites.
Old 02-04-14, 08:37 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Ghibli has been selling well, U.S sales are up 76%, Keep in mind its priced to compete with GS, E, 5, etc...

I wish they would have emphasised this. at under 70K (base level 5 series pricing) for a MASERATI, I would have been researching the car too. However many people saw the Trident emblem/Maserati name, and assumed that the car was out of their reach.
Old 02-04-14, 09:47 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by ExtremeDimensions
I wish they would have emphasised this. at under 70K (base level 5 series pricing) for a MASERATI, I would have been researching the car too. However many people saw the Trident emblem/Maserati name, and assumed that the car was out of their reach.
I think they did that on purpose, people will take to the web regardless. Once you see that they start at 67k its another wow. Now you have two separate events in your mind, the ad and the reasonable price.

Search results are up 26XX%, I think this has done well for them.

Ad's don't have to be funny, macho etc... all they have to do is make an impression and than the subconscious take over. Look how much attention its getting on this forum?

Quick Reply: maserati ghibli superbowl ad - lol