Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Awards.....Best of the 2014 D.C. Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 10:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Awards.....Best of the 2014 D.C. Auto Show

After spending three whole afternoons at the 2014 D.C. Auto Show (and a possible fourth, if I go Sunday afternoon for the show's last day), I think I saw enough there to make some definitive picks on what I would consider the show's most significant products. Unfortunately, some of the vehicles and displays that COULD have been brought there, as usual, were either first introduced at the Detroit Show or held there because of the overlap between the tail end of the Detroit show and the start of the D.C. show. The all-new 2015 Honda Fit, for example, was not here...but was shown at Detroit. So was the all-new 2015 GMC Canyon mid-size pickup...it was at also at Detroit, but Chevy DID have the Colorado here (the Canyon's slightly downscale twin), on the floor, but roped off with all the doors open. As in the past several years, Porsche and Mitsubishi skipped the D.C. show and didn't have any displays at all...for some reason, those two companies just don't spend money any more on the auto-show circuit...they even skip Detroit. We also didn't see any factory display-areas for exotic or ultra-luxury cars like Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Maybach, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Maserati, etc..... And, of course, we didn't see the long-awaited new Alfa Romeo slated here for the U.S. market later in the year...that was a disappointment, and I'm sure would have attracted some attention.

But, make no mistake about it...there was still a lot that WAS here this year. There's no way one can really see everything at the show in one day if you really stop to look at and inspect the displays. And you never really know what can happen there....surprises can happen almost any time. Last year, for example, President Obama decided to pop in one afternoon almost unannounced (fortunately, on a weekday when there were fewer people there) and tour the Alternative-Fuel Vehicle display area....a fairly good-sized display downstairs on the lower floor. His Administration, of course, has been promoting the use of these vehicles for several years, but I won't go into those politics....this is not the place for it. So, of course, while Obama was there, Secret Service agents swarmed over the whole bottom floor of the show and blocked most of it off from the public, finally leaving about 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Needless to say, most of the manufacturer displays downstairs lost a lot of potential floor-traffic during those several hours...but, that's just the way that the Secret Service works.

Anyhow, back to my awards.....and what I thought were the most significant displays at the show this year. First, I don't expect everyone at CL or CAR CHAT to agree with me on these (or disagree with me, for that matter), so I know there will be some subjective responses....that's fine; I expect them. Second, I don't usually give out awards for concept cars, exotic cars, prototypes not scheduled for production, or cars that are planned tor production in such low numbers that the public doesn't have a realistic chance of getting one. I did enough of that back in the 1990s with cars like the Maybach 57/62, Ford Thunderbird, and Plymouth Prowler, which were too expensive or too-limited production for the general public.....and carried huge price mark-ups. No, instead of picking star-studs, I think that it is more important to concentrate on cars that you, me, and the general auto-buying public can realistically expect, for a reasonable sum, to put in our own driveway/garage, and expect to be able to use everyday for commuting or errands/chores.

Using that criteria (which is what I think that most people would want), there were a number of vehicles at the show that, in my opinion, stood out from the rest or were vastly improved this year. The most significant one this year (in my view) surprised me as well as anybody else, because I had not expected it. Of course, when the Buick Verano was first announced a few years ago, at first I had not been very impressed with THAT idea either, thinking at the time (falsely) that it was going to be just another Ho-Hum, mundane GM compact or a Chevy Cruze rebadge. Boy, was I wrong...and I'll be the first to admit it. I had no idea how nice this car would actually end up being, or that I would end up buying one. Such is life.

And, this year, my Best-in-D.C.-Show award was another surprise. I had previously seen some Internet photos/images and heard some CL talk here about it in a couple of threads, but I wasn't expecting it to be anywhere near as nice as it seems to have turned out. It was sitting right in the middle of the almost-dead Lincoln display area, up on a turntable (the Lincoln display, this year, was one of the most-ignored manufacturer-displays there at the show, though its floor-traffic did pick up for the weekend).

BEST-IN-SHOW......2015 Lincoln MKC

Those of you who know me and my posts know that I have been critical of Lincoln and their products in the last several years, for a number of reasons. I've found the MKS to be an inadequate replacement for the classic Town Car (even the Lincoln reps there now admit dropping the Town Car was an error, as they get requests at every auto show to bring it back), the MKT awkward in both its front and rear styling, the MKX plush inside but otherwise styled too much like its Ford Edge twin, and the MKZ just generally disappointing overall.

But the company, IMO, has redeemed itself (and then some) with the new MKC compact SUV (one could perhaps refer to it as a CUV dressed in a tux). Even sitting up on the turntable where we couldn't actually get inside or open up the hood, it was obvious that Lincoln had a DAMN nice small SUV here. We could, however, get close enough to it to see its gorgeous paint job in detail and touch it (more on that in a minute), and, with the doors wide open, see the interior in reasonable detail.

The all-new MKC is generally built on the compact Ford Escape platform (the same platform sold as the Ford Kuga in Europe), but is far more classy-looking inside and out. It totally avoids what I think is the rather awkward exterior/interior look of the Escape, and also, with the chrome horizontal-bar grille, carefully avoids the Grinning-Bucky-Beaver look of other recent Lincoln front ends. Inside, the awkward lower-dash/console-mounted finger-touch slide-bars for stereo/climate-control found in other recent Lincolns have been replaced on the MKC with more traditional round ****-controls. The Lincoln reps there said this was done because of customer complaints with the electronic slide-bars (I had complained about them myself when I reviewed recent Lincolns)...so I'm glad the company is listening. (Now, Cadillac, it's your turn with your own customer complaints on similar problems). The interior on the display model was all-black with nice classy, realistic-looking wood trim on the dash/doors, but two-tone interiors and a variety of different wood and metallic trims will also be available.

The exterior was, in my opinion, just worlds above that of the awkward-looking Ford Escape....and, for that matter, above its own chunky-looking Cadillac SRX primary competitor (the MKC, of course, will also loosely compete with the Mercedes GLK, Audi Q1/Q3, BMW X1/X3, Infiniti Q50, Acura RDX, and some top-level versions of the Buick Encore). MKC prices have not yet been formerly announced, but according to the Lincoln reps there, are expected to start at $33,900 for front-drive (all-wheel-drive, of course, will also be offered).

One of the things that really stood out on the display MKC was its gorgeous medium-to-dark-purple Amythist paint job (which was not just a custom-paint job done for the show, but an actual planned production paint color this year). Lincoln calls it Tahitian Pearl, but never mind the name; it is the color that really stands out. This color, in my book, is classier than a tux-clad James Bond in Las Vegas. It's not a strong, in-your-face violet-purple like the Plum Crazy Challenger next door at the Dodge display....but rather, it pleases with its slightly subdued purpleness (Amythist has always been, hands-down, my favorite automotive color, but it is generally neglected by most manufacturers).

I wanted to schedule a test-drive and review ASAP (Ford and Lincoln, as they did last year, are again giving away pre-paid $50 Mastercards for dealer test-drives on any new Ford or Lincoln product). But the offer is only good until March 30, and the MKC will not debut until at least April or May (I signed up for the offer anyway, as I may use it on another Ford/Lincoln product, maybe for a CL review).

Even without being able to sit in it, I feel good about this new vehicle. I think it is going to sell. Lincoln may or may not end up hitting a home run with it, but I think that, especially if people go to see it, it will get to at least third base. There's the potential for it to be a winner. I DID suggest one improvement, however, for it, which the Lincoln reps there wrote down and will be taking back home with them...an optional V6 (perhaps Lincoln's own 3.7L), as the only planned engine for now is the same 2.0L turbo four used in the MKZ. Many buyers in this price class (35-45K), of course, want a smooth, quiet, refined powertrain....the 2.0T, though peppy, can't match the refinement of a V6. But, we also know that the Government's new CAFE fuel-economy mandates are sounding the death knell for many larger powerplants....even a lot of V6s may soon be numbered.

So, great job, Lincoln. I was very impressed. IMO, deserving of Best-in-Show.

RUNNER-UP BEST-IN-SHOW: 2015 Ford Mustang

After several years of classy-looking Mustangs with nice late-60s retro-styling (and excellent sales to boot), it was a relief to see that, unlike the original spy-configurations and press-drawings of what the 2015 model was expected to look like, the new Mustang not only retains the same (though slightly more streamlined) basic Mustang look, but, in my opinion, now even looks MORE classy. Admittedly, however, the sea of bright red-paint on the one displayed at the show could have had a little more trim, chrome, or breaks in body-lines to keep it from looking so monotone on the outside. Nevertheless, it is still what I'd consider a gorgeous design, keeping the basic Mustang look in front, along the sides, and sweeping the headlights back a little more with a slightly smaller rectangle-grille. In back, the traditional triple-vertical Mustang headlights are still there, but swept in at a somewhat greater angle (rumor is that they will flash sequentially, like some Ford products of the 1960s, but I couldn't verify that without a test-drive).

One of the biggest changes, though, is under the rear end, where the primitive but durable live rear axle and leaf springs have finally been replaced by an independent rear end/suspension on all Mustangs (Cobra, SVT, and Shelby Mustangs have had the independent rear end for some years). I understand the benefits of an IRS in ride and handling, but, otherwise, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Some high-powered Camaros and Challengers with IRS have had durability problems in the drive train. That's because a lot of young immature drivers buy and drive high-powered pony-cars, and do a lot of burnouts with them, which is very hard and abusive on the powertrain. The Mustang's durable live rear axle, of course, resisted a lot of this abuse. Ford knew that it was one of the keys to preventing a lot of premature warranty work (damage/wear from street-racing and burnouts, technically, is not covered under warranty, but it can sometimes be hard for the company to prove what happened). Yes, the more expensive Shelby Mustangs with 600+ HP engines did come with independent rear ends, but many of them also did not have a factory warranty at all....you bought one and simply took your chances.

IRS questions aside, though, a great job on Ford's part. The new Mustang will still turn heads.....and, of course, still look like a Mustang while doing it.

MOST-IMPROVED NEW VEHICLE: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon

In my opinion, the the Most-Improved New Vehicle, without question, had to go to the new Colorado/Canyon line of mid-size pickups, which are essentially twins, though the Canyon is slightly more upscale. Nothing else at the show this year seemed to show such a stunning improvement over their immediate predecessor. As stated above, GMC left the Canyon at the Detroit show, while Chevy brought a nice bright red four-door full dual-cab Colorado to the D.C. show with the optional off-road Z71suspension. It was on the floor, but roped-off. With my height and arm-reach, though, I could still get close enough to it, with the doors open, to sample some of the interior and door-panel materials.

It's not that it was necessarily the nicest truck at the show, but the stunning improvement mainly comes because the old Colorado/Canyon/Isuzu I-27/35 triplets were (to put it mildly) POS'es that IMO were not only an insult to customers, but even made the notoriously poorly-done Dodge Caliber and Jeep Compass look and feel refined in comparison. When I went to review the old Chevy Colorado some years ago, I was so disgusted with it that I didn't even finish the review...I walked out of the dealership. Later samples only confirmed my previous disgust.

Well, old trucks, RIP...and good riddance. GMC and Chevy now seem to have a REAL competitor in this field, though one of its former competitors (the Ford Ranger/Mazda B-series twins) are now gone from the American market because of poor sales. The interior trim-material upgrade this year (at least from what I could see and touch while reaching beyond the ropes) is like going from the cheapest-grade hamburger to Prime-grade Fillet Mignon. The new tailgate is not only solid as a rock now, but has a built-in damper that slowly lets it down as you release it (I was able to sample that with my arm from beyond the ropes). You can take your hand off it and it drops slowly by itself without a bang. Yet it can be raised back up quickly if desired. The old standard in-line five-cylinder powerplant is gone (and there weren't any optional engines on the old models). All four doors felt reasonably solid. The sheen and quality of the paint job (another sub-standard item on the old trucks) is now worlds better as well. Though there were a few things that I couldn't see everything clearly on the new instrument/gauge panel from my position outside the ropes, from what I COULD see, it also seems, in general, to be much better designed as well.

Well done, GM. Just one more piece of evidence (among a growing number of vehicles now) that the buyout/reorganization of the corporation several years ago was worth the money and effort.

I'll sign off now as I usually do in my auto-reviews...........

And, as always.......Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-02-14 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-02-14, 11:03 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

All good choices IMO

As far as the sequential tailights on the Mustang, I'm pretty sure the current model already has that feature. I think it started on the 2010 refresh. The brake lights and turn signals are sequential.
Old 02-02-14, 11:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Porsche, Mitsubishi and some of the exotics will have displays at the Chicago Auto Show in a week or so.

Nothing for me to see from Mitsubishi but I always visit Porsche and the exotics.
Old 02-02-14, 11:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
All good choices IMO
Thanks. As I saw it, the Colorado/Canyon was a relative No-Brainer...the old model was so unimpressive that almost anything would have been a big improvement. The MKC, though, was somewhat of a surprise for me. I had not expected Lincoln to have done as nice a job on it as it seems to have actually done.

As far as the sequential tailights on the Mustang, I'm pretty sure the current model already has that feature. I think it started on the 2010 refresh. The brake lights and turn signals are sequential.
Perhaps so. The display narrators, though, of course, standing there with the car, generally recite their talking like they were reading off of cue cards.....and, in this case, simply focused on the new 2015 without much reference to the past versions.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-02-14 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-02-14, 11:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Porsche, Mitsubishi and some of the exotics will have displays at the Chicago Auto Show in a week or so.

Nothing for me to see from Mitsubishi but I always visit Porsche and the exotics.
If you get a chance to see the new Mirage at that show, give us at least a brief word on it. I would have liked to see it here, but Mitsubishi crapped out of the D.C. show again now for about four or five years in a row. Porsche had even skipped the Detroit show for a few years ...but, apparently is now coming back to Chicago (my guess to show off their new smaller SUV)
Old 02-02-14, 11:36 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Excellent read and clever thread Mike

I cannot wait to sample both the MKC and 2015 Mustang at my local dealer. And agreed on the Colorado/Cayon twins. We've discussed numerous times the pathetic 1st gen precurssor.
Old 02-02-14, 12:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Excellent read and clever thread Mike
Thanks. And it was a pleasure checking out these vehicles.....as far as the display-limitations would allow. But there were a number of other nice ones there at the show as well.....notably the new upcoming 2015 VW Golf. I didn't formally do a Second-Runner-Up (or Second-Most-Improved). But, if I had, the upcoming VW Golf would probably have gotten it. Its paint and interior quality are both quite a bit better than its predecessor....and we all know that VW skimped and cost-cut on the old American-Market Jetta version of the previous Golf.

cannot wait to sample both the MKC and 2015 Mustang at my local dealer. And agreed on the Colorado/Canyon twins. We've discussed numerous times the pathetic 1st gen precurssor.
Have you had a chance to personally see the new Colorado/Canyon yet? They make you wonder how the engineers could have ever let the old ones out of the factory.
Old 02-02-14, 12:18 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you had a chance to personally see the new Colorado/Canyon yet? They make you wonder how the engineers could have ever let the old ones out of the factory.
When I stopped by a local GMC/Buick/Chevy/Caddy to check out a CTS VSport for a static review (will go back to test drive later) I did not see a new Colorado/Canyon at the time.
Old 02-03-14, 08:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
When I stopped by a local GMC/Buick/Chevy/Caddy
So...in your area, GM dealerships handle all four brands at once? Here, in the D.C. area, it's generally split between Cadillac shops and Chevy/Buick/GMC shops.
Old 02-03-14, 08:54 AM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure what's so special about mkc. i've seen it and i thought it was just another good offering. but it didn't stand out to me.

stang was a great choice though.
Old 02-03-14, 09:05 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the 2015 Lincoln MKC did look great (saw it at the Houston show).

nice post.
Old 02-03-14, 09:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hlee12
not sure what's so special about mkc. i've seen it and i thought it was just another good offering. but it didn't stand out to me.

stang was a great choice though.
First, I thought that the MKC was, overall, the best new offering that Lincoln has come up with in the last several years. They needed a good competitor to the Cadillac SRX and the small upscale European SUVs/CUVs.....something that the MKX, which was simply a well-trimmed Ford Edge, lacked. That doesn't seem to be the case with the MKC....which, body and interior-wise, is far different from its Ford Escape roots. Second, although color alone isn't necessarily a be-all and end-all, the MKC offers some really classy paint jobs...not only the stunning Amythist (Tahiti) purple of the display model but some other production colors slated for this year as well. Third, the interior seems well-done, with excellent-looking trim and real woods, not fake. Fourth, the MKC (due to earlier customer complaint with other Lincolns) carefully avoids the awkward finger-touch/slide controls for some of the stereo/climate functions, using, instead, much more user-friendly conventional round *****. Fifth, it seems to be just the right size for a lot of everyday driving/parking/shopping, which is what a lot of small SUVs are used for today. Sixth, it offers a choice of FWD or AWD depending on the weather conditions it will typically be exposed to. Seventh, while not a cheap vehicle by any means, it is not priced out of the reach of many buyers....the typical MKC, accordring to the estimates of the Lincoln people there, will list for around 40K, including options.

It DOES, however, IMO, have one potential fly in the ointment....the current lack of a non-turbo V6 option. The standard (production) engine is slated to be the 2.0L turbo currently used in some other Ford and Lincoln products. While the 2.0T has adequate power for a luxury-leaning vehicle in this class, it typically lacks the quietness/refinement of a V6...something that buyers of a 40K luxury-oriented vehicle, IMO, have a right to expect. I gave that suggestion to the Lincoln people there, and they passed it back to the factory. We'll see if the factory acts on it or not....but the latest government-imposed CAFE fuel-economy rules, no doubt, are killing off a lot of larger-size powerplants.
Old 02-03-14, 10:21 AM
Hoovey689

So...in your area, GM dealerships handle all four brands at once? Here, in the D.C. area, it's generally split between Cadillac shops and Chevy/Buick/GMC shops.
Mostly yes. Typically GMC/Buick/Cadillac are grouped together and the Chevy's are more standalone. This local one though supports all 4 - and a few years ago had Hummer and Saturn too
Old 02-03-14, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
the 2015 Lincoln MKC did look great (saw it at the Houston show).

nice post.
Thanks.

This new vehicle, though, IMO, deserves some mention for more than just styling, though it does look a heck of a lot better than the Ford Escape, whose platform it's based on. It also has more sensibly designed controls than some other new Lincolns. My only significant complaint so far is the lack of a non-turbo V6 (which you can at least partially blame the Government CAFE rules for, which I think have become absurdly restrictive). I just don't think that, refinement-wise, a turbo 2.0 four usually cuts it in this class, though, admittedly, Audi has had a nice-running turbo 2.0 for years, and I'll reserve final comment until I actually test-drive the MKC's 2.0T.

BTW, since you say you saw it at the Houston show, did they display the one with the Amythist dark purple (Tahitian Pearl) paint job? That paint job (along with the MKC's styling) was just about the only thing that dragged ANYBODY into the Lincoln display here. Except for the MKC, their products here at the D.C. show attracted about as much interest as a convention of dentists.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-03-14 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-04-14, 05:38 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

BTW, since you say you saw it at the Houston show, did they display the one with the Amythist dark purple (Tahitian Pearl) paint job? That paint job (along with the MKC's styling) was just about the only thing that dragged ANYBODY into the Lincoln display here. Except for the MKC, their products here at the D.C. show attracted about as much interest as a convention of dentists.
honestly the only thing I remember is that it was grey....I only spent about 10 secs glancing at it when I was on my way elsewhere....but the exterior styling is what caught my eye.

Quick Reply: MM Awards.....Best of the 2014 D.C. Auto Show