Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How come Lexus/BMW/Mercedes double Audi's sells in America?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 08:55 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I never really noticed audi until the Transporter movies made them cool.
Did they? I don't remember seeing a single Audi in transporters. I only remember the camaro and maybe an Acura SUV as well.
Old 02-01-14, 09:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The guy drives an A8 through the whole movie.
Old 02-01-14, 09:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

They are unreliable relatively . Like most they have been getting better but I would spend my money at Lexus first then BMW or Mercedes if I was going to the dark side
Old 02-01-14, 10:06 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

They're nice when brand new. But they do really age pretty quick and have far too many issues with interior, engine, electrical etc
Old 02-02-14, 07:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3
They're nice when brand new. But they do really age pretty quick and have far too many issues with interior, engine, electrical etc
I know people with modern Audis that are 3-4 years old now and they are aging very well, owners have had no issues. I have one coworker with the previous generation A6 and it still looks fresh and sharp.
Old 02-02-14, 08:16 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
From news article:
Audi, the best-selling premium brand in China, sold 42,778 vehicles in the country. For the first eight months, the automaker delivered 312,683 units in the country, keeping it on pace to meet its 450,000-vehicle sales target for this year.

I guess Audi was more focus on the Chinese market for the past 10 years. Since the Chinese market is settle down.....Audi is gaining market share in US rapidly.
Originally Posted by SW13GS
This is really it. Audi's reputation in the US is still on the mend from the 80s and the 5000 disaster. Ask your parents where the saying "I'm Audi 5000" came from to denote that one is leaving quickly LOL. Fewer dealerships. Their leases are terrible, and thats a BIG one. I would be in an A6 right now if the lease was similar to Lexus/BMW/MB. $200 a month more because of poor residuals.

I believe that it is an image problem: Audi lacks the image as a prestigious brand that Mercedes-Benz and BMW have here in North America. It takes time to establish an image and Audi has not been at it that long in North America.

VW and Audi were in China early, (much) earlier than most other western brands and so have established the image.

In North America, Audi did not handle the sudden unintended acceleration issue well, letting the media define their image rather than aggressively fighting it. As a result, sales took a huge hit; Audi was effectively not existent in North America until recently.

Consumers have a short memory so they are not aware of the SUA problem that Audi had a 25+ years ago; all they see is a 'recent' addition to the luxury market.
Old 02-02-14, 08:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I believe that it is an image problem: Audi lacks the image as a prestigious brand that Mercedes-Benz and BMW have here in North America. It takes time to establish an image and Audi has not been at it that long in North America.
Consumers have a short memory so they are not aware of the SUA problem that Audi had a 25+ years ago; all they see is a 'recent' addition to the luxury market.
Audis image is improving fast....building great cars does that...ask Lexus.

Consumers may not remember the SUA problem, but they remember the idea that Audis are reliable and even unsafe...they just don't remember why they feel that way. Its part of our lexicon:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=Audi+5000

Audi 5000

An adjective desribing one or more people who intend on leaving a particular place. Audi's model 5000 sedan was plagued with a problem charcterized by unintended acceleration, in which drivers' complained that the vehicle lurched forward when their foot was on the brake pedal. In reality, it turned out that the acclerator and brake pedals were unusually close together. This is why Audi 5000 is associated with leaving quickly, because that is what this vehicle did when some old fartknocker hit the gas instead of the brakes.
"I'm Audi 5000". or "I'm Audi".
Old 02-02-14, 10:02 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no compelling reason to buy an Audi.

People who want a German luxury car would rather choose a MB or BMW (better prestige, recognition etc...). Those who are more practical will go Lexus.

So where does that leave Audi? Audi doesn't do sport better than BMW, luxury better than MB, or sport/luxury/reliability better than Lexus. Styling and AWD is what they have, and that's a niche market. A lot of these premium cars are purchased on the west coast, where Quattro is kinda redundant versus a good RWD car.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 02-02-14 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-02-14, 11:25 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

The guy drives an A8 through the whole movie.
Oops

Yeah I really didn't remember. The transformer movies were mostly forgettable to me.
Old 02-02-14, 11:48 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Did they? I don't remember seeing a single Audi in transporters. I only remember the camaro and maybe an Acura SUV as well.
Not Transformers; The Transporter. Jason Statham....
Old 02-02-14, 12:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Oops

Yeah I really didn't remember. The transformer movies were mostly forgettable to me.
Transporter movies...not Transporter movies...thats the issue we're dealing with I think LOL

Originally Posted by Mr Burns
There is no compelling reason to buy an Audi.
I disagree completely. Audi has many very compelling offerings. I loved the A6...like I said I would have one if their lease was better, I crossed the E and 5 off my list before the A6. I would select an A8 over a 7 Series (the S Class is really on its own level), I love the A5/A5. I would choose an A7 over a CLS or 6 Series GC. I love the Q5, no way I would buy an X3 or GLK over a Q5.

Audi is doing quite well sales wise too, so obviously I'm not alone.
Old 02-02-14, 12:50 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ I agree, Audi A6 is a superior car to any GS, 5series or E. It is a beautiful performer and the technology is amazing. and the 3l tsfi engine is very reliable. they have issues with the 2l turbo.
I am not keen to their 2l turbo engine they're using to the A4 and not offering a performance engine to A4 i think it;s a big handicap. They do have the S4 but the difference is $15k more
Old 02-02-14, 01:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by keyframe13
^^^ I agree, Audi A6 is a superior car to any GS, 5series or E.
I wouldn't make that distinct a statement. All the cars in this segment are fantastic cars, and they all have their areas where they excel. The A6 to me is a little bit smoother riding down the road than the GS and 5 Series while they are more agile feeling (the A6 feels a lot more like a FWD car than a RWD car). I think the GS has a much better interior than the A6. Stylingwise (which is subjective) I think the A6 is beautiful, understated, classy, well built. Audi has great colors. They're all great looking cars, but I would rate them for styling in order 5 Series, A6, GS, E Class. Interior I would say GS, 5 Series, A6, E Class. Drive from a ride perspective I would say A6, GS/5 Series (tie), E Class. From a fun to drive perspective I would rate them GS, 5 Series, A6, E Class.
Old 02-02-14, 01:20 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tex2670
Not Transformers; The Transporter. Jason Statham....
Transporter movies...not Transporter movies...thats the issue we're dealing with I think LOL

I disagree completely. Audi has many very compelling offerings. I loved the A6...like I said I would have one if their lease was better, I crossed the E and 5 off my list before the A6. I would select an A8 over a 7 Series (the S Class is really on its own level), I love the A5/A5. I would choose an A7 over a CLS or 6 Series GC. I love the Q5, no way I would buy an X3 or GLK over a Q5.

Audi is doing quite well sales wise too, so obviously I'm not alone.
Ok now it all makes sense
Old 02-02-14, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And then I said "Transporter movies...not Transporter movies" instead of "Transporter Movies not Transformer movies".

Apparently we've all started drinking for the Super Bowl early!

Quick Reply: How come Lexus/BMW/Mercedes double Audi's sells in America?