Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Edmunds: Top 10 Vehicles for Seniors for 2014

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 11:41 PM
LexFather

Post Edmunds: Top 10 Vehicles for Seniors for 2014

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...cat=affiliates

Top 10 Vehicles for Seniors for 2014
01/09/2014 - By Warren Clarke

Age is merely a number and there are some older drivers who have experienced little if any physical diminishment. Still, for many, the march of time brings with it ailments and conditions that can make driving uncomfortable and downright dangerous. Fortunately, today's automobiles are available with a host of features designed to help compensate for many of the physical changes that can come with aging.

Lower-body mobility issues such as limited knee range and leg pain are common for those over 55. Features such as adjustable power seats, a low door threshold and adjustable foot pedals can help lessen or eliminate discomfort.

Many seniors also face upper-body mobility issues that can cause pain or stiffness in the back, neck, arms or shoulders. Adjustable lumbar support and heated seats can help soothe aching backs and shoulders. Large wide-angle mirrors and large rear windows aid visibility, and can work with a rear backup camera, active parallel-park assistance, and front and rear parking sensors to help senior drivers maneuver their vehicles without engaging in too much of the upper-body twisting and turning that can be painful for those with stiffness in the neck or shoulders.

Age can bring with it shorter stature. Starting at age 40, people typically lose about a half an inch in height with each decade, according to studies conducted by Harvard Medical School. Age can also bring weight gain. A recent study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that one-third of seniors aged 65 and older wrestle with obesity. Features such as adjustable seats, adjustable foot pedals and a tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel can help both shorter and overweight drivers to find safe and supportive seating positions.

Arthritis is a common disease of aging, and it can result in stiff fingers and compromised fine-motor skills. A thick steering wheel is easier for arthritic hands to grasp, and keyless entry and ignition helps these drivers avoid the potentially painful hand movements involved in inserting and twisting a key. Other user-friendly features for arthritic drivers include a heated power mirror and larger dashboard controls. In SUVs and crossovers, an automatic tailgate closer can be a real bonus for drivers with arthritis.

Vision is another faculty that can diminish with age. Older drivers may have difficulty reading information presented on their vehicles' instrument panels. Their eyes may also recover more slowly from glare. Features such as extendable sun visors, larger audio and climate controls, auto-dimming low-glare mirrors and a high-contrast instrument panel can help seniors who face these challenges behind the wheel.

The following 10 vehicles (listed in alphabetical order) each offer features designed to support drivers coping with the conditions discussed above. Our picks include both sedans and SUVs, and range from top-of-the-line luxury models to those with very affordable price tags.

For an even wider array of choices, the American Automobile Association offers a useful tool that you can use to find vehicles with the right automotive features to support the physical changes that can come with aging. Though this tool looks at model-year 2013 vehicles, in many cases, the features shown are carried over for 2014 models. Additionally, for more information on features that benefit older drivers, see our story "Smarter Cars and Fit Evaluations Can Keep Older Drivers Safe."

Get the best deal on your vehicle by researching its True Market Value before negotiating a purchase. You might also find these models offered through Edmunds.com's Price Promise program.

1. 2014 Acura RDX SUV
Senior-friendly features: Heated, power-adjustable seats with lumbar support; low door threshold; thick tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel; keyless entry and ignition; larger dashboard controls; automatic tailgate closer; rear backup camera; extendable sun visors; larger audio and climate controls; high-contrast instrument panel; large, heated, wide-angle, auto-dimming and low-glare power mirrors.

Other perks: Strong fuel economy, ample rear legroom and available all-wheel drive.

2. 2014 Audi A8 Sedan
Senior-friendly features: Heated, power-adjustable seats with lumbar support; low door threshold; thick tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel; keyless entry and ignition; larger dashboard controls; rear backup camera; extendable sun visors; high-contrast instrument panel; large, heated, wide-angle, auto-dimming and low-glare power mirrors; front and rear parking sensors.

Other perks: Stylish, luxurious cabin, superb ride and handling, standard all-wheel drive, and cutting-edge technology features. Available with diesel powertrain.

3. 2014 Ford Taurus Sedan
Senior-friendly features: Heated, power-adjustable seats with lumbar support; low door threshold; thick tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel; keyless entry and ignition; larger dashboard controls; rear backup camera; extendable sun visors; larger audio and climate controls; high-contrast instrument panel; large, heated, wide-angle, auto-dimming and low-glare power mirrors; adjustable foot pedals; large rear windows; active parallel-park assistance; front and rear parking sensors.

Other perks: Smooth, quiet ride; huge trunk; and a long list of standard features and cutting-edge options. Available all-wheel drive.

4. 2014 Honda Accord Sedan
Senior-friendly features: Heated, power-adjustable seats with lumbar support; low door threshold; thick tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel; keyless entry and ignition; larger dashboard controls; rear backup camera; extendable sun visors; larger audio and climate controls; high-contrast instrument panel; large, heated, wide-angle, auto-dimming and low-glare power mirrors; large rear windows.

Other perks: Spacious, high-quality cabin; quick acceleration; and responsive handling. Available with hybrid powertrain.

5. 2014 Hyundai Sonata Sedan
Senior-friendly features: Heated, power-adjustable seats with lumbar support; low door threshold; thick tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel; keyless entry and ignition; larger dashboard controls; rear backup camera; larger audio and climate controls; high-contrast instrument panel; large, heated, wide-angle, auto-dimming and low-glare power mirrors.

Other perks: Outstanding fuel economy, ample standard features and options for the money and a generous warranty. Available with hybrid powertrain.

6. 2014 Lexus ES 350 Sedan
Senior-friendly features: Heated, power-adjustable seats with lumbar support; low door threshold; thick tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel; keyless entry and ignition; larger dashboard controls; rear backup camera; extendable sun visors; larger audio and climate controls; high-contrast instrument panel; large, heated, wide-angle, auto-dimming and low-glare power mirrors; large rear window; front and rear parking sensors.

Other perks: Comfortable ride and composed handling, luxurious cabin, smooth V6 engine and ample rear legroom. Available with hybrid powertrain.

7. 2014 Mazda CX-9 SUV
Senior-friendly features: Heated, power-adjustable seats with lumbar support; low door threshold; thick tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel; keyless entry and ignition; larger dashboard controls; automatic tailgate closer; rear backup camera; extendable sun visors; larger audio and climate controls; high-contrast instrument panel; large, heated, wide-angle, auto-dimming and low-glare power mirrors; front and rear parking sensors.

Other perks: Roomy cabin, easy-access third-row seat with room for adults and responsive steering.

8. 2014 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan
Senior-friendly features: Heated, power-adjustable seats with lumbar support; low door threshold; thick tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel; keyless entry and ignition; larger dashboard controls; rear backup camera; extendable sun visors; larger audio and climate controls; high-contrast instrument panel; large, heated, wide-angle, auto-dimming and low-glare power mirrors; front and rear parking sensors; active parallel-park assistance.

Other perks: Superb ride quality, and a long list of safety features. Available with diesel and hybrid powertrains.

9. 2014 Toyota Avalon Sedan
Senior-friendly features: Heated, power-adjustable seats with lumbar support; low door threshold; thick tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel; keyless entry and ignition; larger dashboard controls; rear backup camera; extendable sun visors; larger audio and climate controls; high-contrast instrument panel; large, heated, wide-angle, auto-dimming and low-glare power mirrors.

Other perks: Roomy cabin, large trunk and strong fuel economy. Available with hybrid powertrain.

10. 2014 Volkswagen Passat
Senior-friendly features: Heated, power-adjustable seats with lumbar support; low door threshold; thick tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel; keyless entry and ignition; larger dashboard controls; rear backup camera; extendable sun visors; larger audio and climate controls; high-contrast instrument panel; large, heated, wide-angle, auto-dimming and low-glare power mirrors; large rear window.

Other perks: Roomy, high-quality cabin and a refined, quiet ride. Available with diesel powertrain.

View more Top 10 articles
Font Size: AAA

Old 01-31-14, 12:07 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprisingly I agree with nine out of ten vehicles on the list except Acura RDX, since I think Lexus RX is a better choice for senior.
Old 01-31-14, 12:47 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Eh for the most part the car I agree with yes. This doesn't mention the technology though which does have a learning curve for the elderly. i.e. Infotainment System Interfaces
Old 01-31-14, 01:17 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Surprisingly I agree with nine out of ten vehicles on the list except Acura RDX, since I think Lexus RX is a better choice for senior.
I'd have to agree with this. Most of the people I see in the RDX are well under 55. The people I know who own RDXs are all under 40.
Old 01-31-14, 06:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

surprised to see the audi a8. why the a8 vs a lexus ls, a mb s, a jag xj, etc.?
Old 01-31-14, 07:26 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Lincoln's, Buick's, or Cadillac's? Seems odd
Old 01-31-14, 07:27 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Having qualified as a senior several years ago, I agree with most of the criteria listed in the article. There are a number of accessories that make an automobile more senior-friendly, and they are available on many cars today. I question the inclusion of some of the sedans on the list because they require a lot of bending and stooping to enter and exit - where most mid to full-size SUV's are a simple matter to slide into the seat. Maybe it's just me, but I find an RX a lot easier to climb in and out of than an ES.

An SUV also provides an elevated sightline in traffic, allowing the driver to spot potential problems well ahead, helping to add a bit of cover to reduced reaction times. In many parts of the country AWD helps get you out of many situations you've gotten yourself into - although it does not make you invincible. In the words of Harry Callahan, "A man's got to know his limitations."

I would add the availability of GPS (either factory or aftermarket units) to the list of "must have's" for seniors. Most of us are tech-savvy enough to operate one, and it's an invaluable help to anyone reaching an unfamiliar destination. I usually program my destination into the GPS whenever I get into my car - and have for the past ten years. My wife used to question me for doing this, even when we are going to a familiar destination, but for me there are two benefits: first, it helps remind you of upcoming turns, and second, if you have to get off the freeway for construction or traffic, it will immediately re-route you through an unfamiliar neighborhood.

Backup cameras are a great help to those of us who aren't able to easily swivel our heads around when backing, although they can lead to a false sense of security. As far as park assist is concerned, most of us never parallel park these days anyway - it's sort of like opting for an expensive socket for your buggy whip for the great majority of drivers.

High-performance audio systems are largely lost on us seniors as our hearing has deteriorated, particularly at high frequencies, and we don't need the distraction of loud music, phones, texts, e-mails, etc vying for our attention when we should be concentrating on the task of driving. I don't think it's a question of being able to use technology. This isn't just for seniors alone, we just don't need the distraction. I think that applies to just about everyone.

Finally, what about power? Most of us on fixed incomes would probably opt for a bit more economy than performance we aren't going to use that often anyway. We've outgrown our tire-smoking youth and there's a good bit of self-preservation in the equation now. When we were teens and twenty-somethings we thought we were immortal and I for one have done things in a car - even in my forties - that make me cringe today. Having met your own mortality, you tend to think before doing something incredibly stupid and select another option.
Old 01-31-14, 07:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
No. All three companies have been virtually ignoring their traditional older buyers for several years now....the ones that have kept these companies in buisness. That's why the DTS, Town Car, and Lucerne are gone. Much has been posted and discussed about this in other CAR CHAT threads.
Old 01-31-14, 08:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Good thread, Mike, though, in general, the only one out of these ten that I personally think has a smooth enough ride for seniors (and non-seniors who also like a smooth ride) is the Mercedes E-Class. I don't know why the even smoother-riding S-class is not on the list, though, except maybe for its high expense. Can't comment on the A8, though, because I haven't test-driven one for awhile. But most of the rest of these vehicles, IMO, have underpinnings and tires that are just too stiff for ideal ride-comfort.
Old 01-31-14, 09:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Yes it does seem odd. These brands appeal to, and are bought by seniors for a reason. I agree with many of the cars on the list, but as with most lists, there are some omissions that I don't understand.
Old 01-31-14, 10:38 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seniors need less horsepower, less tech, but more safety nannies.

All those high-end gizmos wow older populations, but are rarely used.

I'm surprised econoboxes like Scions, Soul, Forte, Cubes, and such didn't make the list.
Old 01-31-14, 03:22 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The RDX makes little sense. I don't find seniors all that interested in entry level luxury SUV's.

The Taurus is the worst choice and little research was done if it was recommended. The front seating is cramped and closed in thanks to an oversized center console and tunnel. This also makes moving around inside a hassle, as well as getting in and out. Additionally, rear visibility is poor thanks to the high rear deck and oversized C-pillars. I see fail all over that combination, as a deteriorating driver needs all the visibility he/she can get.
Old 01-31-14, 03:46 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Allf of this is mostly anecdotal but when shopping recently for a CUV, the RDX was one of our 2-3 finalists. We are seniors. A friend, also a senior is seriously considering one as a replacement for his Pilot.
Old 01-31-14, 03:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The RDX makes little sense. I don't find seniors all that interested in entry level luxury SUV's.
I snooped around, its not really a young people's SUV and if you driven it, its like a 1980s Town Car in drive and steering feel and lacks basic technology. So it makes sense especially since its cheaper than the real luxury brands.

Old 01-31-14, 11:31 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No Corvette or Cadillac. I can appreciate that.

Quick Reply: Edmunds: Top 10 Vehicles for Seniors for 2014