Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fiat S.p.A approves name change: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-14, 02:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Fiat S.p.A approves name change: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V

Official Press:

Fiat S.p.A. Reorganizes After Completion of the Purchase of Chrysler Group LLC
January 29, 2014 , Turin, Italy - Today, the Board of Directors of Fiat S.p.A. ("Fiat") approved a corporate reorganization and the formation of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles ("FCA") as a fully-integrated global automaker.

Following Fiat's acquisition of the minority equity interest in Chrysler Group LLC, previously held by the VEBA Trust, the Fiat Board of Directors has reviewed options for the most appropriate governance and corporate structure.

In order to establish a true peer to the major global automotive groups, in both scale and capital market appeal, the Board has decided to establish Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V., organized in the Netherlands, as the parent company of the Group. FCA's common shares will be listed in New York and Milan.

"A new chapter of our story begins with the creation of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. A journey that started over a decade ago, as Fiat sought to ensure its place in an increasingly complex marketplace, has brought together two organizations each with a great history in the automotive industry and different but complementary geographic strengths. FCA allows us to face the future with a renewed sense of purpose and vigor," said John Elkann, Chairman of Fiat.

Sergio Marchionne, CEO of Fiat and Chairman/CEO of Chrysler Group said: "Today is one of the most important days in my career at Fiat and Chrysler. Five years ago we began to cultivate a vision that went beyond industrial cooperation to include full cultural integration at all levels. We have worked tenaciously and single-mindedly to transform differences into strengths and break down barriers of nationalistic or cultural resistance. Today we can say that we have succeeded in creating solid foundations for a global automaker with a mix of experience and know-how on a level with the best of our competitors. An international governance structure and listings will complete this vision and improve the Group's access to global markets bringing obvious financial benefits."

Under the proposal approved by the Fiat Board, Fiat shareholders will receive one FCA common share for each Fiat share they hold and the FCA common shares will be listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) with an additional listing on the Mercato Telematico Azionario (MTA) in Milan. FCA is expected to be resident for tax purposes in the United Kingdom, but this is not expected to affect the taxes payable by Group companies in the jurisdictions in which their activities are carried out.

In order to foster the development and continued involvement of a core base of long-term shareholders, FCA will adopt a loyalty voting structure, under which Fiat shareholders who are present or represented by proxy at the Fiat shareholder meeting called to vote on the proposal and who continue to hold their shares until the closing, regardless of how they vote, are eligible to receive special voting shares equivalent in number to the newly-issued FCA common shares they receive. The special voting shares will be subject to specific terms and conditions.

After the closing, shareholders who hold their FCA common shares for at least three years would also be entitled to participate in the loyalty voting structure.

FCA shareholders will be eligible for loyalty voting until they transfer their common shares. This structure is intended to facilitate a stable shareholder base and reward long-term share ownership, while allowing the Group enhanced flexibility to pursue strategic opportunities.

The proposed transaction is subject to approval of the final documentation by Fiat's Board of Directors and shareholders.

The transaction would also be subject to limited closing conditions, including listing on the NYSE and a €500 million cap on the exercise of withdrawal rights arising under Italian law by Fiat shareholders and opposition rights by Fiat creditors. Listing on the MTA in Milan is expected to occur after trading on the NYSE has commenced.

The transaction is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

Today's decisions, and the jurisdiction of the parent company in particular, are based on the needs and opportunities resulting from the creation of a large, global auto group through the union of Fiat and Chrysler.

The existing organization based on four operating regions will remain central to the operating and management structure of the new Group. All activities forming part of FCA will continue with the same mission, including manufacturing plants in Italy and elsewhere around the globe, with no impact on headcount.

The Group will present a long-term business plan to the financial community at the beginning of May 2014.

Fiat and Chrysler Adopt a New Logo
January 29, 2014 , Turin, Italy - Following an initial phase with the two corporate logos appearing side-by-side – symbolizing the desire to respect the history, culture and industrial roots of the two groups – both Fiat and Chrysler now require a new corporate identity representative of an organization that is much more than the sum of its two component parts, based on strong core values that represents a unique corporate culture, a common vision and a Group with an international reach.

Created by RobilantAssociati, this branding project began with definition of a distinct strategic concept that served as the basis for creation of the name, logo, house style and entire corporate identity, whose universal and essential forms are strongly expressive and evocative.

Use of an acronym helps create a transition from the past, without severing the roots, while at the same time reflecting the global scope of the Group's activities. Easy to understand, pronounce and remember, it is a name well suited to a modern, international marketplace.

The three letters in the logo are grouped in a geometric configuration inspired by the essential shapes used in automobile design: the F, derived from a square, symbolizes concreteness and solidity; the C, derived from a circle, representing wheels and movement, symbolizes harmony and continuity; and finally, the A, derived from a triangle, indicates energy and a perennial state of evolution.

The logo's design lends itself to an extraordinary range of symbolic interpretations. It uses a versatile, modern language capable of expressing continuous change without losing its core identity.

The new logo will be adopted by Fiat and Chrysler as soon as practicable and before completion of the reorganization of the new Group.
Old 01-29-14, 02:17 PM
Hoovey689

Sergio Marchionne, CEO of Fiat and Chairman/CEO of Chrysler Group said:

"Today is one of the most important days in my career at Fiat and Chrysler. Five years ago we began to cultivate a vision that went beyond industrial cooperation to include full cultural integration at all levels. We have worked tenaciously and single-mindedly to transform differences into strengths and break down barriers of nationalistic or cultural resistance. Today we can say that we have succeeded in creating solid foundations for a global automaker with a mix of experience and know-how on a level with the best of our competitors. An international governance structure and listings will complete this vision and improve the Group's access to global markets bringing obvious financial benefits."
Good for him. He's very proud of what he's created and not only did Fiat save Chrysler, but Chrysler has saved Fiat. I wish them a long and prosperous union
Old 01-29-14, 05:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

pretty cool. Had no idea this was int he works. Still wouldn't buy a Fiat or a Chrysler .
Old 01-29-14, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
pretty cool. Had no idea this was in the works. Still wouldn't buy a Fiat or a Chrysler .
To borrow an old Ford phrase, have you DRIVEN one......lately?

I can think of at least five or six different ones I'd (now) buy without a second thought.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-29-14 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-29-14, 07:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Sergio Marchionne, CEO of Fiat and Chairman/CEO of Chrysler Group said: "Today is one of the most important days in my career at Fiat and Chrysler. Five years ago we began to cultivate a vision that went beyond industrial cooperation to include full cultural integration at all levels. We have worked tenaciously and single-mindedly to transform differences into strengths and break down barriers of nationalistic or cultural resistance. Today we can say that we have succeeded in creating solid foundations for a global automaker
Corporate jabber. Speeches like this are enough to put one to sleep.

I don't see where a simple name/logo change is going to make much difference.....or sell more cars. Today's Chrysler products (and Fiats, for that matter) are selling because of their newfound build-quality/refinement, and the way they drive, NOT because of the way the logo appears or how the company titles itself.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-29-14 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-29-14, 09:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I can think of at least five or six different ones I'd (now) buy without a second thought.
From a driving perspective...absolutely. My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a great driver, probably the best highway vehicle I have ever owned aside from the LS...it just gobbles up miles, very refined and quiet (big ol high profile tires you'd love ) Great looking vehicle, I REALLY like it.

BUT...quality and reliability are not there yet. My Jeep has easily been the most problematic vehicle I've ever owned with 27 warranty repairs in the first two years of ownership, mostly small electrical problems (switches failing, control panels going bad, nav head unit) and also some production problems (the sunroof drains on mine were never connected, and on the Jeep forum I post on there are a lot of misaligned doors, paint flaws, incorrect trim for the trim packages, one guy got the wrong color fuel door, for a while all the summits were shipping with Overland steering wheels that had a completely different wood color, a lot of buybacks, stuff you don't read about here for instance). As much as I really do like the Jeep...its a very frustrating vehicle because its very high maintenance. Dealer service is also quite poor. No loaners, even for multi-day warranty work.

One poor SOB on the forum had the Jeep he was given after his first one was bought back die on the road with 400 miles on it honking and freaking out...cause? Sunroof drains were never hooked up and it flooded a computer module. Same issue I had mine just luckily flooded the seat belt anchors in the C pillars (spreading stagnant water all over my mother's blouse one time taking her out to dinner when she pulled the seatbelt across her. Nice touch.

So...I would wait a while before I BOUGHT a Chrysler I was going to keep a while. Lease one, sure.
Old 01-29-14, 11:27 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by SW13GS
From a driving perspective...absolutely. My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a great driver, probably the best highway vehicle I have ever owned aside from the LS...it just gobbles up miles, very refined and quiet (big ol high profile tires you'd love ) Great looking vehicle, I REALLY like it.

BUT...quality and reliability are not there yet. My Jeep has easily been the most problematic vehicle I've ever owned with 27 warranty repairs in the first two years of ownership, mostly small electrical problems (switches failing, control panels going bad, nav head unit) and also some production problems (the sunroof drains on mine were never connected, and on the Jeep forum I post on there are a lot of misaligned doors, paint flaws, incorrect trim for the trim packages, one guy got the wrong color fuel door, for a while all the summits were shipping with Overland steering wheels that had a completely different wood color, a lot of buybacks, stuff you don't read about here for instance). As much as I really do like the Jeep...its a very frustrating vehicle because its very high maintenance. Dealer service is also quite poor. No loaners, even for multi-day warranty work.

One poor SOB on the forum had the Jeep he was given after his first one was bought back die on the road with 400 miles on it honking and freaking out...cause? Sunroof drains were never hooked up and it flooded a computer module. Same issue I had mine just luckily flooded the seat belt anchors in the C pillars (spreading stagnant water all over my mother's blouse one time taking her out to dinner when she pulled the seatbelt across her. Nice touch.

So...I would wait a while before I BOUGHT a Chrysler I was going to keep a while. Lease one, sure.
sounds priceless
Old 01-30-14, 04:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Sounds like FIAT all right... thats what you get when you pair two most unreliable manufacturers in western world.

It all looks great on paper but then....
Old 01-30-14, 07:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
sounds priceless
Oh yeah...she was thrilled LOL
Old 01-30-14, 07:54 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The good news is, the production and QA processes have continuously improved at the Jeep plant since the 2011 models rolled out. Sergio has been driving some impressive rigor in these plants, although there is still room to grow. They were operating on an extremely tight budget without the right management processes, even in 2012.
Old 01-30-14, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I know that the current-generation JGC had some teething problems the first year or so (a few other owners here on CL also reported some warranty problems) . But that was 3-4 years ago, and things have improved some.

My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a great driver, probably the best highway vehicle I have ever owned aside from the LS...it just gobbles up miles, very refined and quiet (big ol high profile tires you'd love ) Great looking vehicle, I REALLY like it.
The JGC's drivetrain (particularly the new smooth-shifting, multi-gear automatic) is also head and shoulders above older Jeep/Chrysler drivetrains in refinement.

Past-generation JGC's, though, have often had unreliable final-drive (differential) units. We'll see if the newer ones, in the long run, prove more reliable than in past models.

The high-profile tires, though, are not done so much for ride-comfort (though, all else equal, the ride DOES benefit), as for tough off-road ability. One obviously does not want rubber-band, low-profile rubber going over sharp rocks which could damage them, across creek beds, slogging through deep mud/snow, or begging for traction on hard-packed snow or ice. That is why most true off-road vehicles, today, unlike the bean-count specials, still come with true full-size, usable spare tires/wheels instead of run-flats, temporary/donunt spares, or tire-inflator cans. Out in the boonies, a tire failure can be serious business, and cost-cutting substitutes just won't cut it. Trail-Rated versions of the new 2014 Cherokee, one step below the Grand Cherokee, don't come with a true spare standard, but it is at least an option.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-30-14 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-30-14, 09:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, I know that the current-generation JGC had some teething problems the first year or so (a few other owners here on CL also reported some warranty problems . But that was 3-4 years ago, and things have improved some.
Originally Posted by TangoRed
The good news is, the production and QA processes have continuously improved at the Jeep plant since the 2011 models rolled out. Sergio has been driving some impressive rigor in these plants, although there is still room to grow. They were operating on an extremely tight budget without the right management processes, even in 2012.
Noooo...

I split my time between here and a big Jeep forum. Its actually much worse with the 2014s. There were teething problems in 2011, but mine is a end run 2011 built right before they started building 2012s. The GC was refreshed for 2014 and the rollout of the refresh has been a disaster. All of the buybacks and things I'm talking about are happening to 2014s, the guy who's Jeep was bought back and then the replacement broke down with 400 miles...both were 2014s...all the issues I've mentioned with trim, wrong trim pieces, misaligned doors, wrong color fuel doors...thats happening right now on 2014s. The big block of Overlands being shipped with Summit steering wheels...those were 2012s.

These issues are ongoing...it is really stunning to read through the forums there and then here.

I would say 2012 and 2013 were better than 2011...but 2014 is much worse. CR dropped their recommended rating of the GC because of it...you'll see a HUGE drop off in IQS for Jeep next year.
Old 01-30-14, 09:06 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

To be honest buddy, I have not driven one recently. They turn me off because of their reputation so they have fallen off the radar. What I desire in my cars in reliability , luxury, and refinement. So far in my opinion and some objective info as well these car offer luxury, some refinement, but not enough of the reliability for me to consider to buy one. My nightmare scenario would be falling in love with one , buying it, and then hating myself for buying it once it starts to give me headaches. I am straight up OCD about my vehicles so I continue to stick with the Japanese brands. I have been looking over the fence at the Porsche Panamera recently but only because the brands reliability is generally rated as second to Lexus. I want something fast and special for my next car and I am beginning to get the notion that a GTR with 2 kids ( and even a minivan ) may be a bad choice. A super sedan would be a great option. It is tempting when you read the kind of silly HP the Americans drop in their inexpensive sooped up V8 models, but I dont want to be kicking myself. I guess much of this is simply having a closed eye to the American brands like Chrysler, Ford, and even GM because of their previous rep. In the end I guess the " fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" kind of deal. So many friends and family members have sworn off these brands I would almost feel foolish trying to go in that direction again.
Old 01-30-14, 09:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
My nightmare scenario would be falling in love with one , buying it, and then hating myself for buying it once it starts to give me headaches.
This is my life now. Its such a nice vehicle, replacing it with anything else for remotely the same money is going to be a downgrade in many ways...so I don't really want to do that...but it is a huge hassle to have to deal with these issues...and out of warranty? Forget about it.

Its telling that in order to buy a Chrysler extended warranty, you have to let them do an inspection of the vehicle at your expense (non-refundable) to make sure that there are no pre-existing issues...even during the factory warranty. I've never needed to do that with another carmaker's product.
Old 01-30-14, 09:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The GC was refreshed for 2014 and the rollout of the refresh has been a disaster. All of the buybacks and things I'm talking about are happening to 2014s, the guy who's Jeep was bought back and then the replacement broke down with 400 miles...both were 2014s...all the issues I've mentioned with trim, wrong trim pieces, misaligned doors, wrong color fuel doors...thats happening right now on 2014s. The big block of Overlands being shipped with Summit steering wheels...those were 2012s.
You mean to say, on the new 2014s, that they are actually attaching the wrong trim pieces and different color gas-doors? That sounds to me like some sort of sabotage or collusion on the assembly line.....some PO'ed employees maybe trying to get back at management for something. I certainly haven't seen anything like that on ANY other new Chrysler product (though some Dodge SUVs may share the same assembly line as the Grand Cherokee). I mean, unless somebody (or group of somebodies) among the inspectors is deliberately letting these through, it's pretty hard to not notice, say, a green vehicle with a white filler-door, or a Jeep with Laredo trim on one side and Overland on the other. Heck, Stevie Wonder could spot something like that.

Quick Reply: Fiat S.p.A approves name change: Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V