Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 2014 Formula One Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-14, 05:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ecclestone planning Historic Formula One series

If you're one of the legions of racing fans disappointed by the lack of noise from the new turbo V6s in Formula One and nostalgic for those old-school V10s, we have good news for you. According to reports, a new racing series is in the works that would bring back not only retired F1 cars, but also retired F1 stars.

The project , according to European trademark applications, is called Historic Formula One, and it's already gaining support and potential participation from the likes of three-time world champion Nelson Piquet, former champ Nigel Mansell, race winner Gerhard Berger and Martin Brundle (a former F1 driver, Le Mans winner and race commentator).

The series is being organized by none other than Bernie Ecclestone himself, the controversial and embattled billionaire in charge of Formula One. Ecclestone also runs the GP2 and GP3 series that give potential future F1 drivers a ladder to climb. The addition of the Historic Formula One championship to the portfolio would give those on their way out a chance to continue competing.

While it may be too early to say what cars they would be driving and what format the races would take, the signs at present seem to be pointing towards the V10 racers that reigned supreme in the 1990s and into the new millennium. As for the events in which they'd compete, we could be looking at support races for the existing grands prix to give fans an extra spectacle on the same ticket.

This wouldn't be the first time we'd see a racing series for old F1 cars and drivers, but could emerge as the most successful. The last was the Grand Prix Masters series ran one race at Kyalami in 2005 and another two (Qatar and Silverstone) in 2006 before shutting down. There are many other individual events at which owners of retired F1 cars compete, but seldom in an organized series with retired stars at the helm.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/22/h...estone-report/
Old 04-22-14, 09:24 PM
LexFather

Please bring back the sound...its like listening to a field of fast *** goats

Old 04-22-14, 11:07 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's interesting idea, but what about crash regulations? Are they gonna modernize them somewhat to make it safer? As far as I know f1 cars were still fairly dangerous in the nineties.
Old 04-22-14, 11:56 PM
Hoovey689

Would love to hear some V10's again
Old 04-23-14, 09:41 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Would love to hear some V10's again
seriously....THE MUSIC OF MY PEOPLE

Old 04-23-14, 11:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry, folks. I'm not an F1 fan. Too boring for me .....a lot like watching a road-rally, except without the drifting.

Racing?.....THIS is what I consider TRUE racing.....everybody bunched up on a super-speedway, fender-to-fender, at 200 MPH.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-14 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-23-14, 12:00 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sorry, folks. I'm not an F1 fan. Too boring for me .....a lot like watching a road-rally, except without the drifting.

Racing?.....THIS is what I consider TRUE racing.....everybody bunched up on a super-speedway, fender-to-fender, at 200 MPH.

Hahahaha the irony Mike is that most I know (and in this thread) would consider Nascar to be the boring one since it's make a left make a left make a left go straight (repeat) !
Old 04-23-14, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Hahahaha the irony Mike is that most I know (and in this thread) would consider Nascar to be the boring one since it's make a left make a left make a left go straight (repeat) !
Don't let the geometric simplicity of those tracks fool you. NASCAR driving is FAR more difficult than it looks on the surface, especially when many drivers are bunched up at high speeds. A split-second error could wipe out a dozen cars and drivers. I have enormous respect for those drivers.

I agree, BTW, that NASCAR is probably not very popular on CL, but much of that is probably due to its (outdated) redneck Southern image and of the also-inaccurate idea of it being a sport of simple monkeys behind the wheel making endless left turns. Many people don't know how difficult that driving actually IS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-14 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-23-14, 05:15 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Don't let the geometric simplicity of those tracks fool you. NASCAR driving is FAR more difficult than it looks on the surface, especially when many drivers are bunched up at high speeds. A split-second error could wipe out a dozen cars and drivers. I have enormous respect for those drivers.

I agree, BTW, that NASCAR is probably not very popular on CL, but much of that is probably due to its (outdated) redneck Southern image and of the also-inaccurate idea of it being a sport of simple monkeys behind the wheel making endless left turns. Many people don't know how difficult that driving actually IS.
I agree that racing NASCAR isn't as simple minded as haters tend to portray it. They're talented drivers, no doubt. However, I don't think it compares to what it takes to compete at the top level of F1. Not only that, but the technology & performance of the F1 cars themselves makes NASCAR look like a soap box derby in comparison. The bleeding edge technology is a huge part of what made me transition from a NASCAR to F1 fan. I'm not a NASCAR hater, but once I got into F1, not much else can measure up for pure performance around a track (IMO).

However, don't get me started on the 2014 rule changes! Aside from some basic specs (dimensions, weight, safety, etc), I think F1 should be unlimited in the technology that teams can use!

-Mike
Old 04-23-14, 05:29 PM
Hoovey689

I work for Hendrick Automotive so trust me I'm well versed in NASCAR, but that doesn't mean I have to like it
Old 04-24-14, 12:14 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just found this thread... Awesome!

You can add me as a NASCAR fan as well. How are we feeling about Gene Haas getting involved with Formula One? I for one am excited because you know... 'murica.

So the Ecclestone bribery trial begins... Should be interesting.
Old 04-24-14, 04:10 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

yep, anyone seen that video of the 2010 fly bys vs the 2013? a huge tone difference lol
Old 04-24-14, 04:48 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Ratedg
yep, anyone seen that video of the 2010 fly bys vs the 2013? a huge tone difference lol
Post #43 is a good video from Melbourne from a spectator comparing 2013 vs 2014
Old 04-24-14, 08:08 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A place to centralize all F1 news, races etc. . .
Thanks for this thread, it's a good one.

Well since we're comparing F1 to other race venues, I will say I am a fan of F1 but not so much of NASCAR.

I like endurance sports car racing best - IMSA TUSCC in the US (includes 24 hours of Daytona) and FIA WEC in Europe (includes 24 hours of Le Mans). A little less slick and more real and gritty than F1, NASCAR or Indy with mixed classes (including pro and amateur, prototype and GT), all-night parties in the paddock and race-prep'd factory (GT) cars so you can route for your favorite(s) (Porsche, Ferrari, Austin, SRT Viper, Corvette, etc.). The cars have to be fast for a long time and so must be durable. Some of the venues, like Daytona, put the race on the NASCAR banks and then into curvy road courses in the infield - best of both worlds - flat out then onto the brakes for the infield curves - for 24 hours. Prototype Le Mans cars run on the street / track (not banked curves) Le Mans course for 24 hours at average speeds of 120 MPH - including pit stops. That means routinely they're up around 200 MPH.

My biggest frustration right now is finding decent, complete TV coverage of the FIA WEC races in the US but, on the other had, I have tickets for the IMSA races at Laguna Seca coming up in early May and so will watch it live then go home and watch again on DVR.

I also follow F1 but not NASCAR or Indy.

So, when will we see Lexus RC-F GT cars at the 24 hours of Daytona or Le Mans? Bet that would stir up some interest around here.
Old 04-25-14, 12:11 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
Thanks for this thread, it's a good one.

Well since we're comparing F1 to other race venues, I will say I am a fan of F1 but not so much of NASCAR.

I like endurance sports car racing best - IMSA TUSCC in the US (includes 24 hours of Daytona) and FIA WEC in Europe (includes 24 hours of Le Mans). A little less slick and more real and gritty than F1, NASCAR or Indy with mixed classes (including pro and amateur, prototype and GT), all-night parties in the paddock and race-prep'd factory (GT) cars so you can route for your favorite(s) (Porsche, Ferrari, Austin, SRT Viper, Corvette, etc.). The cars have to be fast for a long time and so must be durable. Some of the venues, like Daytona, put the race on the NASCAR banks and then into curvy road courses in the infield - best of both worlds - flat out then onto the brakes for the infield curves - for 24 hours. Prototype Le Mans cars run on the street / track (not banked curves) Le Mans course for 24 hours at average speeds of 120 MPH - including pit stops. That means routinely they're up around 200 MPH.

My biggest frustration right now is finding decent, complete TV coverage of the FIA WEC races in the US but, on the other had, I have tickets for the IMSA races at Laguna Seca coming up in early May and so will watch it live then go home and watch again on DVR.

I also follow F1 but not NASCAR or Indy.

So, when will we see Lexus RC-F GT cars at the 24 hours of Daytona or Le Mans? Bet that would stir up some interest around here.
No problem

Yes very excited to see the RC F GT in action

Quick Reply: The 2014 Formula One Thread