Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How many of you are driving cars your parents paid for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-14, 09:58 AM
Tim1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many of you are driving cars your parents paid for?

Be honest. My mom is paying for my new Audi lease and will pay for my next purchase as well.

But I'm only a College Freshman so that's acceptable.

I want honestly here.

Who else is getting their sedans or suvs paid off by Mom/Dad?
Old 01-25-14, 10:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

My first car, decades ago (at least the first one officially in my name, as I had driven my parent's cars previously), was a high-school graduation gift from my dad. His income was limited, and he couldn't afford to buy me a brand-new car, unlike many parents today who give their kids new Mustangs or BMWs. At that age, I was just starting to work (part-time) myself, and didn't have a lot of money saved up yet. I bought my first new car when I was out of college, at age 23. By then, I could afford to pay cash for it without a car loan, as I have with every new car I've owned since.
Old 01-25-14, 10:28 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not of that age anymore, I can pay for my own cars now haha
Old 01-25-14, 10:37 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i am paying for my wife Lexus...does that count ?

If it was me, i would never spoil my children to any of the Brands such as Audi, Cadi, Beemer, Lexus...etc. i would buy them a used civic...and go from there.

But to answer your question, honestly...not many people who drives Lexus or Audi is having parents paying for them...that is due to logical senses, and financial situations
Old 01-25-14, 10:42 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

I am still driving the car my parents bought for me since I was in college. It's been 6 years, but I can't seem to let it go yet. Now that I make my own money, I still want to keep the car and get another one.
Old 01-25-14, 10:43 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

My parents paid for both my sister's and my first car. They rightfully said that's it from the beginning. My sister received a Lexus, I a Mercedes.

Many people may see this as a classic case of spoiled children but I don't care what people think. To me, spoiled children are characterized by their attitude towards material processions, parents, and society - not what they own. My sister and I are modest beings who wanted something safe and some creature comforts.

but on a less serious note, if you can lease a MB C class for less than $300 a month, its not a far cry from a non luxury brands

Last edited by RXSF; 01-25-14 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-25-14, 10:54 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
My parents paid for both my sister's and my first car. They rightfully said that's it from the beginning. My sister received a Lexus, I a Mercedes.

Many people may see this as a classic case of spoiled children but I don't care what people think. To me, spoiled children are characterized by their attitude towards material processions, parents, and society - not what they own. My sister and I are modest beings who wanted something safe and some creature comforts.
+1.

My mom bought me my Lexus (used) my freshman year of college. Now that I'm out of college I plan on driving it as long as I can while I save up my money...
Old 01-25-14, 02:11 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My mom wants me to buy her a car...
Old 01-25-14, 02:33 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Interesting.

I inherited a car ('99 Legacy GT Limited) from my dad and fortunately it lasted me through grad school. There is a clear difference between how my girlfriend and I spend money as her parents bought her a new car when she graduated from college. I bought a used car when my Legacy died, but I must say at 27 years old it's a very sweet feeling as I pick out the features for the 2015 WRX I intend to buy. There's a sense of accomplishment that I wouldn't have if someone paid for a car for me.
Old 01-25-14, 03:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

When I was in high school and asked my mom and dad if I could get a car, they said sure. So I got a job and eventually bought one. I've always paid for my own cars.
Old 01-25-14, 03:16 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

When I was school, I wanted to buy a new Civic Coupe EX. My parent's feared for my safety so they kept asking me if their was any other car I'd like. I kept saying no since no other car interested me at that pricepoint. As a joke, I said the only car I'd want would be and IS250. To my suprise, they offered to pay for the downpayment, hich made the monthly payment affordable for me. I was so happy to have such a nice car.

Fast forward 6 years. I now have an NSX which I paid off by myself and I'm making payments on my new 13' Civic Coupe EX. I ended up getting a Civic after all!
Old 01-25-14, 03:21 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

My parents helped pay for my first car, a beater.

I've bought my own cars since then. I'm currently borrowing their 91 ls, but I plan to buy a car again soon

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 01-25-14, 03:43 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I got my license and wanted a car my parents co-signed a loan for me but that was it. They basically told me if I wanted a car I needed to get a job. I always chide them about it too when it comes up because I found that to be highly hypocritical as their parents gave them multiple cars before they were out on their own! haha
Old 01-25-14, 03:48 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim1988
Be honest. My mom is paying for my new Audi lease and will pay for my next purchase as well.

But I'm only a College Freshman so that's acceptable.

I want honestly here.

Who else is getting their sedans or suvs paid off by Mom/Dad?
A college freshman leasing a new Audi is "acceptable"?
Old 01-25-14, 04:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I got my mom's hand-me-down car when I was a kid, it was a nice Explorer but a hand me down nonetheless.

I don't have a problem with parents buying their kids new cars. One big reason I would/will is safety. Its all well and good for your child to go out and work to pay for a beater...but new cars have much better safety features, are much more safe to drive. Hard to learn a lesson about working for things if you're dead.

What I do not agree with however is buying/leasing your children LUXURY cars. I see it all the time, and did when I was a kid too. A luxury is something that you should work for and aspire towards. If kids get handed luxury cars and gold cards and whatever at the very beginning of their adult life, what do they have to aspire to? Don't you want your kids working to build and grow their own lives, not working trying to keep up a lifestyle you have provided to them that they couldn't possible pay for on their own? I've seen a lot of people get into debt young trying to keep up a standard of living.

Necessities can be given, luxuries should be earned IMHO.

Quick Reply: How many of you are driving cars your parents paid for?