Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How many of you are driving cars your parents paid for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 01:47 PM
fly2low
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents drive the car I paid for. Honest enough?
Old 02-01-14, 12:17 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
My mom bought the GS new and it was my graduation present 7 years ago. All my other cars I bought with my money.
She bought a 1999 GS "new" in 2007?
Old 02-01-14, 05:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 199 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
She bought a 1999 GS "new" in 2007?
I read it as she bought it new in 1998/99, drove it for 8-9 years, then gave it to him as a graduation present. Much like I might do with my 2011 335d (though I didn't buy it "new", it was a demo, never titled with 7k miles).
Old 02-01-14, 06:03 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

For me, all my vehicles were purchased by my parents, except my BRZ (owned for 5 months). I've never personally owned a Lexus, but only frequent CL concerning new upmarket developments on the Japanese end. My family is quite car crazy nowadays (since about 2005), but they like to believe I'm the only one that is.

Initially, my parents bought me my first car, a 2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 in January 2007 when I turned 16. I remember not wanting that car, as I very much "campaigned" throughout 2005-2006 for either a '07 WRX STi Limited, '07 Legacy GT Spec. B, B7 Audi A4/S4, or a 2007 Infiniti G35.

I felt ashamed and embarrassed to be seen in a Hyundai, especially because of my family's background and other affluent peers I wanted to stick it to. Prior to that I'd been enjoying the use of my parents' secondary cars and mostly sharing my sister's '06 CR-V SE. Both my older sister and I were not initially given luxury cars, as my dad didn't believe it was a necessity. He made a 180 after that due to my mother's pushing.

In August 2007, while on my way to one of my dad's clinics to deliver items, I was carjacked by 4 armed delinquents in an unsavory area of town. After assaulting me and making away with my car, they crossed the U.S.-Mexican border. Eventually they were caught in Chihuahua, Mexico by local police days later and then totaled/destroyed it in a chase. All four of them died on impact, that the interior was practically a graphic mess of their remains.

I was shaken by this experience for weeks. I had almost died and my first car was gone, being a crushed cesspit of bloody stains. Didn't eat, drive nor even go out unless it was school or was forced to by my parents. In early October 2007, my dad surprised me with the choice of any 4-door under $40k before TT&L. I chose a 2008 G35S 6MT, which I still have today, but may never buy from Infiniti again(see Q50S). The insurance reimbursement was coupled with his own money, otherwise I'd be back in a Sonata.

In June 2008 during a family return vacation visit to see extended family in England (I'm from the West Midlands, England), my father took delivery of a 2008 Land Rover Defender 90 SVX from Colliers, which I've currently been driving as a DD since August and until recently in the terribly wintery weather.

In June 2009, I unusually received my '09 G55 AMG as a surprise graduation gift. It had been purchased by my dad in early 2009 for his older brother (to later be reimbursed for), who instead wanted the yet to be available 2010 GL550 facelift. The request had been poorly interpreted by my uncle and the dealer refused to take it back, despite my dad being a valued customer.

My mother then recommended it as a surprise gift to me, since my older sister had already received similar 2 years earlier in her '08 RX400h. Unlike the RX, a lot of family friends despised that gesture and chastised my parents for it. All of us have received a car for HS, for university, and university graduation, while I opted out since Infiniti's Q50/Q60 weren't satisfactory last summer. My older sister did lastly receive an IS350C for university graduation, despite the 2011 disaster causing shortages. Most of these later unusual purchases were mostly championed by my mother and I, as my dad is very modest in comparison.

For security/safety reasons (unwanted attention; almost killed by robber/stalker as lack of Keyless Go didn't help matters) and clashing with my parents ("lifestyle choices"), it was taken back down to Texas in mid-2012 and now belongs to my dad. I took back the G35 to school, which I previously used when visiting home on holiday (2009-2012) and still use on visits.

I purchased my first car with my own money last March, a 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited out of mere curiosity. Interesting little car, but it felt a little underpowered and useless in Manhattan. I sold it before moving last August.

For my birthday, I just received 3 weeks ago a new 2014 Evoque Coupe SD4 Dynamic Lux 6MT from my parents (they used my JLR discount). The Defender is unfortunately not a viable daily driver outside of summer. Also, any remaining household vehicles are Jaguar Land Rover competitors (750Li, LC200 V8, RX450h) and another one of them is too extravagant for a novice engineer.

To this day, I miss that Sonata and wish I better appreciated what many people couldn't even afford outside of the developed world. It brought me down to earth a bit back then, at a time when I believed I deserved everything due to my parents' financial resurgence from independent successes and family lineage. My circumstances are quite unique and some may see me as spoiled, but having been well-behaved and a hard-working individual, my parents have been very cautious raising my siblings and me to be productive citizens.

I have not bought nor will I buy a car myself again soon after selling the BRZ, as I'm saving (12 more months) for my first home and pretty much on my own financially now.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 02-01-14 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Typo mistakes with "U.S. border" paragraph.
Old 02-01-14, 10:16 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
For me, all my vehicles were purchased by my parents, except my BRZ (owned for 5 months). I've never personally owned a Lexus, but only frequent here concerning new upmarket developments on Japanese end. My family is quite car crazy, but they like to believe I'm the only one that is.

Initially, my parents bought me my first car, a 2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 in January 2007 when I turned 16. I remember not wanting that car, as I very much "campaigned" throughout 2005-2006 for either a '07 WRX STi Limited, '07 Legacy GT Spec. B, B7 Audi A4/S4, or a 2007 Infiniti G35.

I felt ashamed and embarrassed to be seen in a Hyundai, especially because of my family's background and other affluent peers I'd wanted to stick it to. Prior to that I'd been enjoying the use of my parents' secondary cars and mostly sharing my sister's '06 CR-V SE.

In August 2007, while on my way to one of my dad's clinics to deliver items, I was carjacked by a by armed delinquents in an unsavory area of town. After assaulting me and making away with my car, they crossed the border. Eventually they were caught in Chihuahua, Mexico by local police days later and then totaled/destroyed it in a chase. All four of them died on impact, that the interior was practically a mess of their remains.

I was shaken by this experience for weeks. I had almost died and my first car was gone, being a crushed cesspit of bloody stains. Didn't eat, drive nor even go out unless it was school or was forced to by my parents. In early October 2007, my dad surprised me with the choice of any 4-door under $40k before TT&L. I chose a 2008 G35S 6MT, which I still have today, but may never buy from Infiniti again(see Q50S).

In June 2008 during a family return vacation visit to see extended family in England (I'm from the West Midlands, England), my father took delivery of a 2008 Land Rover Defender 90 SVX from Colliers, which I've currently been driving as a DD since August and until recently in the terribly wintery weather.

In June 2009, I unusually received my '09 G55 AMG as a surprise graduation gift. It had been purchased by my dad in early 2009 for his older brother (to later be reimbursed for), who instead wanted the yet to be available 2010 GL550 facelift. The request had been poorly interpreted by my uncle and the dealer refused to take it back, despite my dad being a valued customer.

My mother then recommended it as a surprise gift to me, since my older sister had already received similar 2 years earlier in her '08 RX400h. Unlike the RX, a lot of family friends despised that gesture and chastised my parents for it. All of us have received a car for HS and university, while I opted out since Infiniti's Q50/Q60 weren't satisfactory. My older sister did lastly receive an IS350C for university graduation, despite the 2011 disaster causing shortages.

For security/safety reasons (unwanted attention; almost killed by robber/stalker as lack of Keyless Go didn't help matters) and clashing with my parents ("lifestyle choices"), it was taken back down to Texas in mid-2012 and now belongs to my dad. I took back the G35, which I previously used when visiting home on holiday (2009-2012) and still do.

I purchased my first car with my own money last March, a 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited out of mere curiosity. Interesting little car, but it felt a little underpowered and useless in Manhattan. I sold it before moving last August.

For my birthday, I just received 3 weeks ago a new 2014 Evoque Coupe SD4 Dynamic Lux 6MT from my parents (they used my JLR discount). The Defender is unfortunately not a viable daily driver outside of summer. Also, any remaining household vehicles are Jaguar Land Rover competitors (750Li, LC200 V8, RX450h) and one of them too extravagant for a novice engineer.

To this day, I miss that Sonata and wish I better appreciated what many people couldn't even afford outside of the developed world. It brought me down to earth a bit back then, at a time when I believed I deserved everything due to my parents' financial resurgence from independent successes and family lineage. My circumstances are quite unique and some may see me as spoiled, but having been well-behaved and a hard-working individual, my parents have been very cautious raising my siblings and me to value hard work and honesty.

I have not bought nor will I buy a car myself again soon after the BRZ, as I'm saving (12 more months) for my own custom built detached home and land isn't cheap in Edgbaston.
Very interesting story. Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-01-14, 02:26 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Very interesting story. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you. Making an observation, my mother dominated most of those decisions that came from them, as otherwise I'd still have my Hyundai if up to my dad. I do apologize for the lengthiness, as I'm terrible at summarization.
Old 02-02-14, 03:37 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Technically my parents never paid for any of my cars I've owned, but they did give me my first car when I was a Junior in HS. A Family friend actually gave them an old 79 Mustang so they could give it to me. So it was free. My 2nd car I used my graduation money and put a down payment for my first new car a 91 Acura Integra. Since then I gave my dad my old 94 ES300, and I bought him a new 2010 Tacoma in late 2009. My sister gave my mom her old Honda, then her and her husband gave my mom their old 99 ES300. We grew up poor, so when the kids of my parents started making a little bit of money we tend to help our parents out.

I on the other hand intend to buy my son his first car when he reaches driving age because I'm just a car guy and half the fun would be that gets into modding cars and I can help him mod them.
Old 02-03-14, 07:16 AM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmk1
My circumstances are quite unique and some may see me as spoiled
LOL yeah, some might.
Old 02-03-14, 12:58 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

very interesting experiences by folks here- mines are not really that much captivating..
My first car was a $900(my own money) 91 Camry i bought in 2000- first year in college. My parents really didnt have the means to buy us a nice cars etc- but they raised us well and we all believe in hard work.

then in was nissan atlima - the old square ones to a maxima 96 then my gs400 last year in college- at that time i was already working paying for my college (i actually worked about 50 hours while in college to pay)-

have come a long way since then