Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus make a new IS-F base on 3IS?
Yes, the M3, C63, RS4, and ATS-V sedan needs some competition.
85.71%
No, the RC-F should get the job done.
14.29%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus IS and IS-F rumors and news

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 04:06 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus IS and IS-F rumors and news

I couldn't find the IS 3 thread, but feel free to merge threads mods

Despite rumors of its cancelation, Japanese magazine Mag-X reports that Lexus plans to release a next-generation Lexus IS F after all.

The first mention that the high-performance sports sedan would be discontinued came last year in an article from USA Today — the debut of the RC F coupe and spy shots of a GS F sedan seemed to support the argument, as it appeared Lexus would replace the IS F with two separate models.

As the very first high-performance Lexus model, a next-generation IS F would be welcome news — Mag-X reports that development is proceeding a rapid pace, and with a possible debut sometime in 2015.

(The image above is a rendering from Mag-X, not a photo of the next-generation IS F.)
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2014/01/2...-is-f-planned/
Old 01-23-14, 04:07 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus IS-F [scoop! ]: 2014/01/07

2-door coupe of the Lexus to be announced at the Detroit show in January 2014, RC-F was supposed to be the successor model of the IS-F. However, plans to develop an F based on the current IS emerged. I was supposed to work is advanced at a rapid pace

Or decisions in helping an eye to the trend of rival

While possible to prepare the chitin RC-F, which corresponds to the successor vehicles, Why make the IS-F too late. The biggest reason lies in the number of door and body shape. Use scene is limited RC-F because it is two-door coupe. However, for the base, getting on and off of the livability of the occupant only sit in the rear seat can be secured to the four-door sedan IS-F. In other words, he was also aimed at expanding needs while aiming for high performance. This would be of aware of the trend of rival car probably. Such as the BMW M3 and Mercedes-Benz C63AMG has lineup sedan as well as coupe. Audi RS4 became the only grade of Avant wagon without a configuration of the sedan.

That is, even in high-performance model of 10 million yen class lineup of wagon and sedan's essential. In the above reasons, it seems to have led to the IS-F is also developed on very short notice. That of RC-F, which is preceded developed based on IS is used to power system and drive system. Engine will be equipped with the improved version that was pulled up to output 450ps / maximum torque 55.0kg-m a 5L V8 in the current IS-F. In the exterior, similar to the current model, fender also be widened in order to wear a wide tire that matches the high power. It will be a form with the force. ※ It is a prediction article about the announcement of the new car in January 7, 2014. It does not guarantee publication
http://www.carsensor.net/contents/newmodel/_24292.html
Old 01-23-14, 04:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

RC F is supposed to take the limelight while the IS F is meant to go on hiatus while the next generation is being developed. Not many caught this when the 3IS was released, but the RC was built with an optional V8 in mind. The IS was not. Expect this next generation of IS F to go FI 6 likely with these rumored TTV6 and TTV8 powertrains in develpment.

There's a meeting in Torrance today. Hope to know more tomorrow.
Old 01-23-14, 04:44 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
RC F is supposed to take the limelight while the IS F is meant to go on hiatus while the next generation is being developed. Not many caught this when the 3IS was released, but the RC was built with an optional V8 in mind. The IS was not. Expect this next generation of IS F to go FI 6 likely with these rumored TTV6 and TTV8 powertrains in develpment.

There's a meeting in Torrance today. Hope to know more tomorrow.
Seriously no 3IS-F? It is a no brainer to just be a 3IS with the RC-F hardwares.........no?
Old 01-23-14, 04:44 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Exciting times, looking forward to hearing what you learn Hoovey.

And that rendering is pretty well done, still dont like the 3IS style, but its well done
Old 01-23-14, 04:47 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Seriously no 3IS-F? It is a no brainer to just be a 3IS with the RC-F hardwares.........no?
Unfortunately yep, Lexus is serious about no 3rd gen IS-F. The answer from corporate folks has been no for quite some time now.
Old 01-23-14, 04:48 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

If the next IS-F goes V6 TT that sounds like a direct competitor for the new M3.

Also maybe the same drivetrain for the FT-1

Old 01-23-14, 04:54 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Unfortunately yep, Lexus is serious about no 3rd gen IS-F. The answer from corporate folks has been no for quite some time now.
Wow really, that sure is a surprise. Is hard to imagine why not?
Old 01-23-14, 04:57 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, this makes no sense. And IS-F would compete with the M3, C63 AMG and Audi RS4. Let the RC-F compete with the 2 door equivalents!
Old 01-23-14, 05:02 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Someone told me it is not possible to drop in the V8 into 3IS?
Old 01-23-14, 05:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Someone told me it is not possible to drop in the V8 into 3IS?
Several members have posted this, myself and rominl included, may or may not have been one of us you heard from
Old 01-23-14, 05:45 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Several members have posted this, myself and rominl included, may or may not have been one of us you heard from
It was on another forum. Care to explain again
Old 01-23-14, 06:06 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I don't believe that, you can fit a V8 into a Miata, a V10 into a E30 M3, a V12 into a S13 Silvia...........those are much smaller car then a 3IS. There is no way a V8 won't physically fit into the 3IS, that's total BS.
Old 01-23-14, 06:18 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow really, that sure is a surprise. Is hard to imagine why not?
The copy+paste answer that I get most is that Lexus is focusing sport efforts on the RC F. And believe me, I've talked to everyone at Lexus corporate who would listen. I can understand them not wanting to develop two cars that occupy a similar segment, but they're going to lose a lot of customers who want four doors (like me).
Old 01-23-14, 08:22 PM
eoph
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe that, you can fit a V8 into a Miata, a V10 into a E30 M3, a V12 into a S13 Silvia...........those are much smaller car then a 3IS. There is no way a V8 won't physically fit into the 3IS, that's total BS.
Because the people that do it don't sell brand new cars. When you sell a car there are certain crash standards, like having a certain amount of space between the hood and the engine

Quick Reply: Lexus IS and IS-F rumors and news