Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus make a new IS-F base on 3IS?
Yes, the M3, C63, RS4, and ATS-V sedan needs some competition.
85.71%
No, the RC-F should get the job done.
14.29%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus IS and IS-F rumors and news

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 08:19 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
Manual shift gearbox? Automated-manual or traditional manual?

Ummm...all of the above?!

I do hope its the latter. That would be amazing to see!
Old 06-19-14, 08:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I doubt we'll ever see a manually operated clutch in any Lexus vehicle in the future. And for good reason. They're dinosaurs. Once you've driven paddle shift at the track, you'll never even think about heel/toe again.
Old 06-19-14, 08:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I doubt we'll ever see a manually operated clutch in any Lexus vehicle in the future. And for good reason. They're dinosaurs. Once you've driven paddle shift at the track, you'll never even think about heel/toe again.
I agree with you on traditional 3-pedal manuals, but not necessarily for that reason. The main problem with them is that they are generally not suitable for the steadily increasing gridlock on the nation's roads. That far outnumbers the small percentage of owners who actually do track or autocross.
Old 06-19-14, 09:27 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've driven both types of transmission, I would still take manual over automatics. How fun is it to let imaginary hand rowing gear for you? They are as dinosaur as cars with wheels, but a car with wheels is not considered ancient?
Old 06-20-14, 08:27 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With GS F coming next summer, I hope that an IS F follows shortly after that - maybe fall of '15 or spring of '16? Lexus needs consistency and variety with the F marque right now, not one off projects here and there.
Old 06-27-14, 01:03 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Lexus IS announced with minor updates

Features new LED fog lights

Lexus has announced a series of updates for the 2015 IS.

Starting with the exterior, the entry-level sports sedan gains new LED fog lights which promise to improve visibility.

Bigger changes occur in the cabin as there's Siri Eyes Free compatibility and piano black accents on the instrument panel and window switches. The car also gains a new Stratus Gray interior color, an upgraded backup monitor and heated / ventilated front seats on F Sport variants. Last but not least, the model receives a Lexus Enform Remote system that enables users to control certain vehicle functions - such as the door locks and climate control system - from a mobile app.

Engine options carryover and include a 2.5-liter V6 with 204 bhp (152 kW) and a 3.5-liter V6 that develops 306 bhp (228 kW). The entry-level engine is paired to a six-speed automatic transmission while the 3.5-liter unit is connected to an eight-speed Sport Direct Shift automatic gearbox.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11406277...-minor-updates
Old 06-27-14, 01:42 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
With GS F coming next summer, I hope that an IS F follows shortly after that - maybe fall of '15 or spring of '16? Lexus needs consistency and variety with the F marque right now, not one off projects here and there.
Pessimist that I am, still have doubts that GS F will ever arrive. Do we have confirmation?
Old 06-27-14, 03:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by NewSpace
Pessimist that I am, still have doubts that GS F will ever arrive. Do we have confirmation?
There's no corporate confirmation, but sighting of mules with V8 soundtracks and the actual empty space between the radiator and engine block (which we covered roughly two years ago) suggest it's near. All signs are pointing to Summer 2015. For this year 2014 it's all about the RC and NX, whereas 2015 will be about the GS refresh and GS F and the redesigned '16 RX. In Septemeber of 2015 the IS200t, GS200t and RC200t are slated to arrive. After that it's anyone's guess but the LS and SC are likely not far behind.
Old 06-27-14, 06:35 PM
LexFather

It's coming next summer, I've been updating here about the car since day one.

Old 06-28-14, 10:38 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default The turbocharged 2015 Lexus IS 200t will hit BMW 328i where it hurts - See more at: h

Lexus is about to replace the sedate IS 250 with a punchy new engine. This new Lexus model will beat BMW at its own game.

The 2015 Lexus IS 200t will have the company’s new 2.0 liter turbocharged engine. This new vehicle will match to a tee the specifications of BMW’s top-selling car, the 328i. The length, width, height, horsepower, torque, number of doors, will all be the same. However, there will be one important difference. Comparably equipped with heated leather seats, back-up camera, moonroof, navigation and keyless entry the Lexus will cost $5,000 less than the BMW.

Say Goodbye to the IS 250
The current IS 250 is a decent car. The six cylinder engine is smooth, but underpowered. Worse, the engine develops only 185 ft-lb of torque. That is an economy-car level of twist. This will doom the IS 250 to be discontinued to make room for the more modern new engine.

The new IS 200t will use a turbocharged four cylinder a half-liter smaller than the current IS 250’s V6 engine, but it will produce about 260 lb-ft of torque, and it will make that torque at lower RPMs. The result will be a very quick car. So quick, it might even cut into the Lexus IS 350 sales a bit. That car has a 306 horsepower engine.

Price Comparison to the BMW 328i
The 2014 BMW 328i has a very tempting “starting price.” However, that price does not include a back-up camera, or leather seating, or keyless entry, or a navigation system. Add these items to the tempting $ 37,300 base MSRP and one is very quickly staring at a $47,000 compact car. Even the black paint on the BMW is a $550 option. Outfitting a Lexus IS 250 with the same equipment results in a car with a price tag of $42,000. Five grand is a very powerful motivator. We expect that Lexus will hold its price levels for the new IS 200t close to, or the same level as the current IS 250.

To its credit the BMW does come with 4 years of included maintenance compared to two for the Lexus, but the Lexus also has other features such as perforated and ventilated leather seating that the BMW will not come with.

The BMW 3 Series is the company’s mainstay. Although it has very successfully diversified its 3 series into the smaller 2, the larger 4, and many derivatives like the X3, the 3 Series is still BMW’s main line of business. The 328i is its heavy mover. Lexus IS line is coming on strong since its redesign last year. Sales effectively doubled and are now growing to rival the 3 Series. Lexus’ wise move to update its base model to use a more capable engine might close that gap completely in the next year or so.
http://www.torquenews.com/1083/turbo...where-it-hurts
Old 06-28-14, 11:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Good riddance to the IS 2.5. I can't wait to drive the turbo.
Old 06-28-14, 12:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That article is wrong. The IS200t is a 2016 model announced for Sept 2015.

The 2015 IS250 was revealed in a press release a few days ago
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...duct+specs.htm
Old 06-28-14, 12:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That article is wrong. The IS200t is a 2016 model announced for Sept 2015.

The 2015 IS250 was revealed in a press release a few days ago
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...duct+specs.htm
A really minor error, don't sweat it.
Old 06-28-14, 01:08 PM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Default Gs-f

I work at Lexus of Omaha in Omaha, NE. We just had the Lexus Vice President Jeff Bracken at our store for it's grand opening. He was talking to us about future stuff. GS-F is confirmed. He also stated that this next batch of sports cars to wear the F badge will have more than enough power to compete with the Germans. He said " I'm not going to tell you how much power (as he used his finger to draw a # 6 in the air), but it will be more than enough to compete with the BMW M's and AMG's. He also said we are probably going to see an F sport ES when they switch production over to the new plant in Kentucky for next year.
Old 06-28-14, 01:59 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
I work at Lexus of Omaha in Omaha, NE. We just had the Lexus Vice President Jeff Bracken at our store for it's grand opening. He was talking to us about future stuff. GS-F is confirmed. He also stated that this next batch of sports cars to wear the F badge will have more than enough power to compete with the Germans. He said " I'm not going to tell you how much power (as he used his finger to draw a # 6 in the air), but it will be more than enough to compete with the BMW M's and AMG's. He also said we are probably going to see an F sport ES when they switch production over to the new plant in Kentucky for next year.
Hell yeah!

Quick Reply: Lexus IS and IS-F rumors and news