Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Should Lexus make a new IS-F base on 3IS?
Yes, the M3, C63, RS4, and ATS-V sedan needs some competition.
85.71%
No, the RC-F should get the job done.
14.29%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus IS and IS-F rumors and news

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-14, 02:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
There has been talks and rumors of a new SC or GS coupe for quite sometime now, but we haven't seen anything from Lexus :/
The LF-LC is the SC-F.

RC-F is the GS coupe.
Old 01-24-14, 03:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
The LF-LC is the SC-F.

RC-F is the GS coupe.
As Lexus and multiple people have stated the RC F is the RC F and not an IS or GS coupe. No misinformation please.

Old 01-24-14, 03:05 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LF-LC is the SC-F.

RC-F is the GS coupe.
But the length of the RC is closer to the size of the IS rather than the GS.

IS length: 183.7
RC length: 184.8
GS length: 190.7

Also price wise, the RC is $45k and LC is $100k+. There is still a huge price gap between the two.

Lexus could use a something to take on the BMW 6-Series or Mercedes SL. I don't think the RC will compete with those two but rather the 4-Series, C-Class coupe, A5, and ATS coupe.

The LC is a luxury coupe no? I think it is going to be aimed at the S-Class coupe and BMW 8-Series (previewed by Pininfarina Gran Lusso V12 Coupé)? I'm just saying another coupe, sports car, or roadster to fill in the gap between the RC and LC wouldn't be a bad idea.

I would be happy if Lexus took the GS, took off two doors. Reskin it and than slap on the SC nameplate. That would = 6-Series competitor.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 01-24-14 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-24-14, 03:17 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
f-sport (yeah this happened, but the execution on RX and CTh are just cosmetic, weakening the brand).
I call cow pie on this one. The CT200h has springs. sway bars and lighter wheels. The 2ISx50 had BBK, bigger/lighter wheels, intake, exhaust, springs, shocks, sways, chassis brace, lip kit, carbon engine cover.

F-Sport cars have sport tuned suspensions along with F-Sport exclusive equipment standard.
Old 01-24-14, 03:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

But the length of the RC is closer to the size of the IS rather than the GS.

IS length: 183.7
RC length: 184.8
GS length: 190.7
IS and GS is pretty much based on the same chassis right, just modified a bit? There you go, RC is based on the same chassis as well, just modified a bit as well, right in the middle of the 2. Is just a lego set.

Also price wise, the RC is $45k and LC is $100k+. There is still a huge price gap between the two.
I agree. But then the RC-F is $70k~$80k.......... LC will probably be $125k.

Lexus could use a something to take on the BMW 6-Series or Mercedes SL. I don't think the RC will compete with those two but rather the 4-Series, C-Class coupe, A5, and ATS coupe.
I agree. MB got the C/E/S-Class coupe, BMW got the 4 and 6-Series coupe, Audi just got the 5-Series coupe.

I am predicting Lexus is following Audi, just one medium size coupe in the middle.

Ideally a coupe in every size is best of course, but I guess depends on how much the manufacturers want to spend on R&D, they all offer different amount of coupe model. Seeing how Lexus has so little coupe in history and just starting out, I say they are just going to do one RC coupe for now, then add a top level coupe. Another coupe in between maybe 10 years from now? We are lucky Lexus is making coupe at all.

The LC is a luxury coupe no? I think it is going to be aimed at the S-Class coupe and BMW 8-Series (previewed by Pininfarina Gran Lusso V12 Coupé)?
The LC is a short stylish 2+2 GT with tiny back seat, so is most similar to a MB SL, old BMW 8-Series, Jaguar XK.

I'm just saying another coupe, sports car, or roadster to fill in the gap between the RC and LC wouldn't be a bad idea.
Of course, one in every size is best. But I don't think Lexus is doing that in the near future.
Old 01-24-14, 03:30 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

they should just make just a GS coupe to compete with the E class and 6 series. that would most likely be the cheapest and fastest thing to do.

Old 01-24-14, 03:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
As Lexus and multiple people have stated the RC F is the RC F and not an IS or GS coupe. No misinformation please.
You are correct, I should have been more careful.

The RC is between IS and GS...........so IS/RC/GS...............just like Audi's 4/5/6 Series.
Old 01-24-14, 03:36 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gymratter
they should just make just a GS coupe to compete with the E class and 6 series. that would most likely be the cheapest and fastest thing to do.

That reminded me of the Camry coupe, they sold like 3 of them, is more rare then an Enzo on the street.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus IS and IS-F rumors and news-wk9408_1-lg.jpg  
Old 01-24-14, 03:36 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

IS and GS is pretty much based on the same chassis right, just modified a bit? There you go, RC is based on the same chassis as well, just modified a bit as well, right in the middle of the 2. Is just a lego set.

I agree. But then the RC-F is $70k~$80k.......... LC will probably be $125k.

I agree. MB got the C/E/S-Class coupe, BMW got the 4 and 6-Series coupe, Audi just got the 5-Series coupe.

I am predicting Lexus is following Audi, just one medium size coupe in the middle.

Ideally a coupe in every size is best of course, but I guess depends on how much the manufacturers want to spend on R&D, they all offer different amount of coupe model. Seeing how Lexus has so little coupe in history and just starting out, I say they are just going to do one RC coupe for now, then add a top level coupe. Another coupe in between maybe 10 years from now? We are lucky Lexus is making coupe at all.

The LC is a short stylish 2+2 GT with tiny back seat, so is most similar to a MB SL, old BMW 8-Series, Jaguar XK.

Of course, one in every size is best. But I don't think Lexus is doing that in the near future.
The IS/RC/GS and Crown are all built on some version of the Toyota S platform yes. What I am saying is that Lexus needs a larger coupe closer to the size of the GS.

I'm also not talking about the F or F Sport version. They still need something in base form at the $60k-$80k price range.

The Mercedes SL is just a two seater, not a 2+2. I still think it is closer to the two cars I posted above. In an interview they also hinted that it may be built on a LS platform. (See LF-LC thread).

I also agreed that we shouldn't expect anything soon. But its nice to dream
Old 01-24-14, 03:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
I call cow pie on this one. The CT200h has springs. sway bars and lighter wheels. The 2ISx50 had BBK, bigger/lighter wheels, intake, exhaust, springs, shocks, sways, chassis brace, lip kit, carbon engine cover.
like the 2IS f-sport treatment - drives great, better balanced to me than the is-f even.

but putting a sport suspension on the CT200h with a 10 second 0-60 seems weak to me.
Old 01-24-14, 03:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

The IS/RC/GS and Crown are all built on some version of the Toyota S platform yes. What I am saying is that Lexus needs a larger coupe closer to the size of the GS.

I'm also not talking about the F or F Sport version. They still need something in base form at the $60k-$80k price range.

The Mercedes SL is just a two seater, not a 2+2. I still think it is closer to the two cars I posted above. In an interview they also hinted that it may be built on a LS platform. (See LF-LC thread).

I also agreed that we shouldn't expect anything soon. But its nice to dream
I knew what you meant

We are lucky to have the RC, a GS/LS coupe is a dream for now. They need to make the GS-F, SC-F and LS-F first...........that is a lot of work, will take a while
Old 01-24-14, 04:07 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I knew what you meant

We are lucky to have the RC, a GS/LS coupe is a dream for now. They need to make the GS-F, SC-F and LS-F first...........that is a lot of work, will take a while
Well there is the BMW/Toyota sports car.

I'm thinking either a new Z4 for BMW and a roadster for Lexus like reports are suggesting.

Or a larger 2 seater roadster for both BMW and Lexus

That is what both brands are missing after all. A true Mercedes SL competitor.

Sorry to go off topic. Back on the IS-F now
Old 01-26-14, 02:51 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

any news on the TT V6?
Old 01-26-14, 09:36 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Well there is the BMW/Toyota sports car.

I'm thinking either a new Z4 for BMW and a roadster for Lexus like reports are suggesting.

Or a larger 2 seater roadster for both BMW and Lexus

That is what both brands are missing after all. A true Mercedes SL competitor.

Sorry to go off topic. Back on the IS-F now
The BMW/Toyota join sports car is anyone guess right now, we will see.
Old 01-30-14, 09:56 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Any updates on the new drivetrains?

Quick Reply: Lexus IS and IS-F rumors and news