Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quest for Automotive Excellence

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 07:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Quest for Automotive Excellence

So it was another beautiful sunny day in the Bay today. Warm enough to even have the moonroof open for a nice 72 degree breeze. Leaving the gym, I made a quick stop at Starbucks for my tea fix then headed for home. It's not uncommon in my area to see 2:1 Tier ones vs more mainstream. And a slew of exotics on warmer summer days. That said I found myself surrounded by several new cars on one stretch of road. Now obviously there's always cars around us when we drive and we may tell ourselves "nice car" or "why would anyone choose that". In this instance there was a new Ford Focus, new MBZ C250, and new Panamera S all with paper plates, my car and a new body MBZ GL450. All different vehicles with strengths and weaknesses. So it got me thinking. While there won't ever be a perfect vehicle, what vehicle comes close?

The following question(s) is very subjective so please be respectful of each others opinions.

What current vehicle (any body style) is "most complete"? There are many aspects to consider when choosing such as but not limited to build quality, performance, engineering, efficiency, usability, design etc.. If you can please explain why you choose such vehicle.

Follow up question

What current automaker is "most complete"?

Discuss!
Old 01-21-14, 07:35 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Question 1: Cayenne Turbo. It has the power, decent cargo space, can go offroad if need be, amazing options, is great on road trips and in the city, and has great ride quality when the suspension is set to comfort. You'll pay for it though.

Runner up: Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Question 2: Mercedes-Benz. I nearly picked Audi, but it doesn't have a hardcore SUV. Mercedes has the cheap CLA250, superb S-class, mountain goat G-class, family hauler GL, supercar SLS, and everything in between.

Wildcard: In terms of portfolio (entire corporate umbrella) I believe VW has the widest reach.
Old 01-21-14, 07:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

tango nailed it. although i don't need a turbo for the cayenne, just an S
Old 01-21-14, 07:50 PM
LexFather

1. Went with the Audi RS7..would have went with the Panamera but it only seats 4 not 5 which hurts it in my eyes. You get performance and utility with the hatchback. The Tesla comes close as it has a 7 seat option, unheard of in a car but the electric range is a worry. Next would be the 7 seat GL 63….combines luxury, performance, features

2. I also go with Mercedes Benz, including Sprinter Vans. AMG everything for me please I had my first experience with the A-class and loved it. SLS, love it. They also have the E63 WAGON, a rarity here along with the usual suspects. They have diesel and hybrids.

Old 01-21-14, 08:11 PM
Hoovey689

Thank you those who have chimed in thus far.

Question 1: Lexus GS450h. Let me knock it for price, lack of 60/40 (not its fault) and sunglasses holder. Besides those, the 4GS chassis is among best in class for drive and feel. It is incredibly plush, rich and refined. Tech and safety laden. As well as powerful yet very efficient efficient powertrain and can even run in full EV close to 40mph for some short range extending. Add in stellar reliability and assembly. This is one buttoned down vehicle.

Question 2: Mercedes-Benz. Following the trend thus far MBZ seems to encompass anything from $29,xxx to $229,xxx. Venerable, lavish and full of pedigree, Mercedes offers a wide array of choices to the consumer on any model they offer. Runner up is Ford with a full-size line-up, modern, improved reliability and affordable make it a versatile brand.
Old 01-21-14, 08:59 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll pick 3

how to do a conservative sexy

how not to do vanilla

how to rewrite the segment

question 2
tough question. i guess i'm going with porsche.
Old 01-21-14, 11:09 PM
Hoovey689

I'm impressed hlee12. Very tasteful selection. No arguments of the 6-Series Gran Coupe which speaks Business and Performance. The Mazda6 I did consider also before I chose, It's a bold Vanilla. My only wish was that it offered more configurations such as wagon, AWD, turbo, Speed Version. Great picture btw, shows beauty in white. And lastly what the Transporter would drive if they made a fourth sequel. The current standard in Mainstream Luxury Coachbuilding.

Porsche. Good choice, their portfolio is expanding, quality is among the best, and their stir emotion in every form.
Old 01-21-14, 11:31 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) A Porsche Cayenne variant of some sort. I think part of what makes it most complete is the fact that you can get exactly what it is you want with it. V6, diesel, turbo, NA V8s, and a hybrid! Equipped properly and it is a great road cars with offroad capabilities.

2) MBZ.
Old 01-22-14, 12:24 AM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

This...

Before everyone calls foul because it isn't a "current" body style hear me out. This is a "kit" car that would have originally had a BMW V12, but they ran out of time to complete the wiring before it premiered, so they put an LS1 in it. It has a thoroughly modern tubular chassis, all of the components are modern (even if the lighting is retro), and you can build or have one built to your very own specifications. To me an automobile should be hand built, and tailored to the individual. Coachbuilders used to do this, and in some respects a handful of modern luxury brands still keep this alive. I love every aspect of this vehicle as "to me" it exemplifies everything that an auto should be - beautiful, powerful, open, and simply exist to glorify the experience of driving.

Presently I would consider the VW group to be the most complete. You can't argue with the diversity of brands that they own, that cover nearly every aspect of land-based travel and transport(bikes, economy vehicles, mass market, luxury, exotic, commercial).

Now I admit that my response is a bit (ok way) outside the lines, but I do believe that it adheres to the overall nature of the inquiry.
Old 01-22-14, 12:47 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harbinger
This...

Before everyone calls foul because it isn't a "current" body style hear me out. This is a "kit" car that would have originally had a BMW V12, but they ran out of time to complete the wiring before it premiered, so they put an LS1 in it. It has a thoroughly modern tubular chassis, all of the components are modern (even if the lighting is retro), and you can build or have one built to your very own specifications. To me an automobile should be hand built, and tailored to the individual. Coachbuilders used to do this, and in some respects a handful of modern luxury brands still keep this alive. I love every aspect of this vehicle as "to me" it exemplifies everything that an auto should be - beautiful, powerful, open, and simply exist to glorify the experience of driving.

Presently I would consider the VW group to be the most complete. You can't argue with the diversity of brands that they own, that cover nearly every aspect of land-based travel and transport(bikes, economy vehicles, mass market, luxury, exotic, commercial).

Now I admit that my response is a bit (ok way) outside the lines, but I do believe that it adheres to the overall nature of the inquiry.
My God, that is one beautiful car. Nicely played
Old 01-22-14, 04:02 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Most complete? Do you mean most complete except for reliability and fuel efficiency? Those don't count? How can a
Cayenne Turbo be complete when it's fuel mileage is horrendous? How can a BMW 3/5/7 be complete when they're
in the shop continuously?

I thought your question was about a car being the most complete, as in the most well rounded and balanced of all
criteria.

Styling
Utility
Status
Reliability
Power
Performance
Fuel efficiency
Quality
Smoothness
Price
Value
Resale value

Porsche? BMW? Mercedes Benz?

I guess I just read the question wrong.
Old 01-22-14, 04:52 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I love the responses in this thread- people came up with cool submissions/rationale. Good idea for a thread Hoovey.

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Most complete? Do you mean most complete except for reliability and fuel efficiency? Those don't count? How can a
Cayenne Turbo be complete when it's fuel mileage is horrendous? How can a BMW 3/5/7 be complete when they're
in the shop continuously?

I thought your question was about a car being the most complete, as in the most well rounded and balanced of all
criteria.

I guess I just read the question wrong.
Just have some fun with it. What are your choices? I don't view 15 city 22 hwy horrendous by the way, although as others have noted perhaps the Turbo is overkill. Call me a glutton for power.
Old 01-22-14, 05:05 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Just have some fun with it. What are your choices? I don't view 15 city 22 hwy horrendous by the way, although as others have noted perhaps the Turbo is overkill. Call me a glutton for power.
I'd have to go with Hoovey, on that one, the GS450h.
Manufacturer? I guess Mercedes.
Old 01-22-14, 05:15 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

I like this thread.

1) One of the Porsche SUV's, new Macan Turbo maybe?
2) Mercades as a single brand or VW (If you take it with all of its sub brands).
Old 01-22-14, 10:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

What current vehicle (any body style) is "most complete"? There are many aspects to consider when choosing such as but not limited to build quality, performance, engineering, efficiency, usability, design etc.. If you can please explain why you choose such vehicle.
I'm going to skip voting for a specific vehicle on on this one. "Most Complete", IMO, is simply too vague a term to include only one vehcle and/or body-style

What current automaker is "most complete"?
If, as I interpret it, by "most complete, you mean the widest line of different vehicles, then it would probably be a (roughly) 3-way tie between three large corporations.......Ford/Lincoln, GM (particularly Chevrolet), and Toyota/Lexus. All three corporations, even in the American market, produce and sell an extremely wide variety of vehicles from A and B-class subcompact sedans/hatchbacks to full-size trucks and SUVs. At major auto shows in America, you will notice that these three companies/corporations usually have the biggest blocks of floor-display space.....for a reason.

Quick Reply: Quest for Automotive Excellence