Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2015 Camry, commentary

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-14, 06:53 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
I own a 2012 camry. Is it the best car in the class? IMHO, no. Do i trust it the most? Yes. Test drove a sonata, wasnt impressed, so I went camry again. Would i be happier if I had waited for Accord? Probably but I don't think about it anymore. It does everything I want very well.
and why do you trust camry more than other models? it's not like other models will break down after 5 years. unless i'm buying 10 year old cars with 150k+ miles, i wouldn't have problem buying any new cars on the market.
Old 01-21-14, 06:58 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every Camry that we have own has never let us down. My sister had a 93 with 375k on it. She sold it too this poor family and they told us its still going and has 450k on it now. My mom brought a new one in 2005 and no issues to this day. Is it a fun car, no. Will it get you to point A to B with no issues, for us, yes
Old 01-21-14, 06:59 PM
LexFather

Sure they are

3 year study..look at Toyota, look at the rest… Lexus is in another LEAUGE and shouldn't be compared to anyone..

Old 01-21-14, 07:00 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26

so basically new one really is more of an evolution of previous design without any quality improvements.

most sedans had a drastic improvements

sonata - huge improvement from previous gen. drastic design change
mazda6 - gigantic leap from previous gen
accord - back with vengeance. best looking accord in years
fusion - huge improvement with drastic departure
optima - from crap to good looking alternative

i mean i can go on and on. most of them took a huge leap. IMO camry didn't really improve much.
Old 01-21-14, 07:14 PM
LexFather

Old 01-21-14, 07:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Here is nice pic of SE, real life dealer pic, no photoshop.

that looks like an abomination, especially that the front axle and suspension looks like they're broken.

Originally Posted by LexFather
For whatever reason on a Lexus site, people (most of them the same) like to beat the Camry up then you look at their garage and you wonder what grounds do they have to do so. Honestly its perplexing.
you're saying only Camry or Lexus owners can critique a Camry? uh, right.

its funny to see people basing their opinions solely on STYLE.
in a group of cars that are generally boring 'appliances' to drive, style is a key differentiator among those actually interested in cars as opposed to most mid-market sedan buyers who just want reliable transportation.

Yet you posted how the Jetta looks amazing, shall I find your quote? So how is the Jetta so great and the Camry so bad. Please do tell.
i think it drives better and looks better.

Originally Posted by spwolf
well how can it exceed the competition when it is brand new... it exceeded them back in 2011.
it means toyota aimed too low. toyota has approached much of their models just like GM did in the past... with a mindset of "what can we get away with?" rather than "how can we make something special that will not only appeal to the faithful, but also put us way ahead of any likely competition?" regardless of sales quantities, the camry SCREAMS CHEAP. the kia optima and honda accord do not. the u.s. honda accord is special, and let's see who agrees...

I think we can all agree the Accord is best in class
Maybe just maybe people like the Camry b/c its not trying to be something it isn't. Its an honest car
an 'honest car'? bwahaha... sounds like a line used car salesman would use. "yeah dats a real honest car right there..."

Considering how much better the competition has gotten, the Camry still is #1 in sales.
always the fall back to sales. we all know the camry sells. just like the big mac is the biggest selling burger, but is it great? or special?

It seems the entire class was pretty forgettable in looks and the others tried to beat the Camry by offering more stylish looks. It didn't work, the Camry is still #1.
it hasn't been long and a lot of conservative (in buying habits) owners will be staunchly loyal to a brand, so even if one or more brands offer 'better' vehicles in most objective categories, the camry is still likely to outsell them for a while. it's just like how GM continued to sell enormous volumes of utter crap for decades - due to loyalty, and also back then many didn't want to buy a 'foreign' car, which was also stupid.
Old 01-21-14, 07:19 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Where the heck is this thread going? I can't believe all the apologists going on about sales and such when the point is that Akio san has said he wants a more expressive Camry. That's supposed to be good isn't it? Instead, we're on about how vanilla is good for the segment. Isn't that viewpoint EXACTLY why the Camry is boring? Thank goodness Akio Toyoda doesn't share such a position.
Old 01-21-14, 07:19 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I know you like to defend Toyota at all costs, but it's Toyoda himself saying that the current Camry isn't living up, so all you're doing is making up excuses for Toyota's own mediocrity. Yeah I get it, people like vanilla, but LESS people are liking vanilla these days and even Toyoda knows this. Why keep trying to deny the obvious?
yeah, i'm noticing the trend. most homers will defend their brands till death even if toyoda himself said current camry isn't living up.

i favor brands that always try to get better. i'm sure mr. toyoda wants to get better. i give mad props for lexus for getting better.

people buy vanilla because brands feed them vanilla. if toyota feeds them vanilla with little bit of tabasco sauce they will buy it and like it.
Old 01-21-14, 07:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hlee12
so basically new one really is more of an evolution of previous design without any quality improvements.

most sedans had a drastic improvements

sonata - huge improvement from previous gen. drastic design change
mazda6 - gigantic leap from previous gen
accord - back with vengeance. best looking accord in years
fusion - huge improvement with drastic departure
optima - from crap to good looking alternative

i mean i can go on and on. most of them took a huge leap. IMO camry didn't really improve much.
100% correct.

doesn't mean the camry is "bad", just nothing special, except a reliable bland driving appliance.
Old 01-21-14, 07:30 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

vanilla done right

i don't care for passat's boring interior, but exterior looks great. will take passat over camry anytime anyday.
Old 01-21-14, 07:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
Where the heck is this thread going? I can't believe all the apologists going on about sales and such when the point is that Akio san has said he wants a more expressive Camry. That's supposed to be good isn't it? Instead, we're on about how vanilla is good for the segment. Isn't that viewpoint EXACTLY why the Camry is boring? Thank goodness Akio Toyoda doesn't share such a position.
thank you. too many supporters of a far too safe accountant-defined camry design.

looking forward to toyota doing something special which we know they can!
Old 01-21-14, 07:38 PM
LexFather

Hey lets compare a Camry at the worst angle possible with a loaded Jetta GTi at the best angle possible. Do a fair comparison for the sake of FAIRNESS and not add to the big BEAT UP THE CAMRY weekly thread.

Speedflex there is no one saying the Camry is best or even that stylish. We are saying it is fine for what it is and not the "abomination" some of you make it out to be. That is ridiculous. What happened is a bunch of people who ironically drive or own Camry equivalents of the sort or throwing stones (with a glass house).

How is is this ANY BETTER and not WORSE than a Camry?

Then this other guy says the Passat exterior is great? Are we for real here?

Then you same people give the Acura RDX a pass claiming the same sales feats are good but bad for the Camry. At least the Camry is not badged a luxury car. Lets go in

-no led ligths for the brakes…ridiculous
-no rear air vents for passengers
-stock halogen and no fog lights…
-cheap leather, hard plastic
-no I-4, no hybrid, loses SH-AWD, the main thing
-bland as a Camry
-does nothing remarkable
-no blind spot option, no parking assist, basics on cars today
-no cooled seats, a 4 way power passenger seat from the 1980s

And yet, we give this vehicle a pass and praise it for selling well and being an improvement then beat the living daylights out the Camry.

Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-21-14 at 07:42 PM.

Old 01-21-14, 07:46 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thank you. too many supporters of a far too safe accountant-defined camry design.

looking forward to toyota doing something special which we know they can!

no doubt toyota can deliver a good looking sedan

they could've easily settled for another variation of this.

get better or die tryin.
Old 01-21-14, 07:52 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Damnit I should have done this….

Guess who reads the Toyota/Lexus bashing constantly?….

Last edited by LexFather; 01-21-14 at 08:22 PM.

Old 01-21-14, 09:07 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
100% correct.

doesn't mean the camry is "bad", just nothing special, except a reliable bland driving appliance.
there is an advantage of driving an appliance - zero emotional attachment.

Quick Reply: 2015 Camry, commentary