Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 07:13 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This car makes sense for those who want flash and badge and for the price in upper 30s its not that bad.
It gets really ugly if you opt for this particular AMG model which is a waste of money. Other than being a straight line rocket there is nothing to it. AWD technology is a complete disgrace to carry AMG tag.

And its not the most powerful four banger in the world either, that honor belongs to Evo FQ360.
Old 01-20-14, 07:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Neat little car, but it's not for me.
Old 01-20-14, 07:33 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
i am sure it's a nice car but i am also not sure about the 60+k "normal" pricing. i personally would pay a bit more for the c63 / m4
At $54k you can choose this or a nearly-loaded S4.
Old 01-20-14, 07:52 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
This car makes sense for those who want flash and badge and for the price in upper 30s its not that bad.
It gets really ugly if you opt for this particular AMG model which is a waste of money. Other than being a straight line rocket there is nothing to it. AWD technology is a complete disgrace to carry AMG tag.

And its not the most powerful four banger in the world either, that honor belongs to Evo FQ360.
I don't think they have claimed it to be the most powerful 4 cyl. They claim it is most powerful in production... lol

Im fine with the way it looks, and I am also fine with the pictures posted so far. Its base price is 15 thousand less than the next amg, which is a considerable sum of money. You have to opt for the right packages in order to get the car looking good. Leather is a must on this car as it adds texture to the doors and dash, without which look horrible.

And with the C class moving slightly more upmarket, that price delta may be even larger when the w205 comes out
Old 01-20-14, 08:23 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

So I guess you haven't noticed the CLS, E, and S-class AMG models all come with AWD now. Welcome to MB acknowledging the threat that is Audi's S/RS lines. And all the reviews have pointed out that the CLA45 is a great handler, if not as entertaining as AMG's previous RWD efforts.

Originally Posted by Infra
Uh...You must be using "nearly-loaded" very loosely. The S4 is a great value but $54k is what you get when you choose options very carefully on a Premium Plus model. That being said, the S4 would be hard to turn down.
Old 01-21-14, 04:36 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TangoRed
So I guess you haven't noticed the CLS, E, and S-class AMG models all come with AWD now. Welcome to MB acknowledging the threat that is Audi's S/RS lines. And all the reviews have pointed out that the CLA45 is a great handler, if not as entertaining as AMG's previous RWD efforts.
Nah its not about AWD instead of RWD but about AWD implementation in CLA45. Its a bare bone non performance AWD setup, it has nothing do to with AWD in other AMG models, that is my gripe. Freakin car drives FWD permanently until you push it and then it sends power to the back, its nothing more than typical PTO setup. Budget cutter right there.

And of course mag journalist jumped on to compare it to Evo X and WRX STi that actually have proper sportscar AWD setups. Mitsus S-AWC features front LSD with two differentials; central and back for torque vectoring and it runs permanently at 50:50. STi has front and back LSDs and famous driver controlled central differential. Both of those would devour CLA45 as soon as turn comes in, for $10,000 less.

This car is a scam for the price its selling. Its just a pocket rocket and very overpriced one.
Old 01-21-14, 05:24 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Nah its not about AWD instead of RWD but about AWD implementation in CLA45. Its a bare bone non performance AWD setup, it has nothing do to with AWD in other AMG models, that is my gripe. Freakin car drives FWD permanently until you push it and then it sends power to the back, its nothing more than typical PTO setup. Budget cutter right there.

And of course mag journalist jumped on to compare it to Evo X and WRX STi that actually have proper sportscar AWD setups. Mitsus S-AWC features front LSD with two differentials; central and back for torque vectoring and it runs permanently at 50:50. STi has front and back LSDs and famous driver controlled central differential. Both of those would devour CLA45 as soon as turn comes in, for $10,000 less.

This car is a scam for the price its selling. Its just a pocket rocket and very overpriced one.
To say this is a scam because the Evo and WRX STI (a car notorious for its understeer in its current gen) handle just as well or better for $10k less is missing the point. You sound like a Corvette or Mustang owner bragging about how they can cut down higher-priced offerings in the sports arena. The CLA45's cheap-for-a-Mercedes interior is still significantly better than what's found in the EVO and WRX, not to mention its overall refinement is in a different stratosphere. Those cars are much more laser focused, one trick ponies than the MB. And there's nothing wrong with that.

As I said before, every magazine review I've come across (even EVO) has praised the handling of the CLA45 while calling it a bit boring due to its stability. The Audi S3, which is the CLA45's more natural competitor, is using a Haldex system that is similar in concept. Clearly it's accepted in this class, although it would be nice to see performance take a precedence over efficiency concerns in these performance models.

I see where you're coming from in the fact that the MB is overpriced, but this ain't no charity. These luxury car makers (see Porsche and their pricing strategy) aren't going to lower their prices until people stop buying their cars. It's a sick game.
Old 01-21-14, 05:37 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

To say this is a scam because the Evo and WRX STI (a car notorious for its understeer in its current gen) handle just as well or better for $10k less is missing the point. You sound like a Corvette or Mustang owner bragging about how they can cut down higher-priced offerings in the sports arena. The CLA45's cheap-for-a-Mercedes interior is still significantly better than what's found in the EVO and WRX, not to mention its overall refinement is in a different stratosphere. Those cars are much more laser focused, one trick ponies than the MB. And there's nothing wrong with that.

As I said before, every magazine review I've come across (even EVO) has praised the handling of the CLA45 while calling it a bit boring due to its stability. The Audi S3, which is the CLA45's more natural competitor, is using a Haldex system that is similar in concept. Clearly it's accepted in this class, although it would be nice to see performance take a precedence over efficiency concerns in these performance models.

I see where you're coming from in the fact that the MB is overpriced, but this ain't no charity. These luxury car makers (see Porsche and their pricing strategy) aren't going to lower their prices until people stop buying their cars. It's a sick game.
Don't you dare compare me to 'Stang owners :P

My whole point is that its not a competition to Evo or STi like journalists want them to be. I do not doubt that its a great handler for what it is but its no Evo or STi in terms of how good handling is.
And as far as the interior both Lancer and CLA are made of same cheap plastic, its all same crap. MB cut corners on this one big time. I had a chance to drive one in Budapest even before it got out on sale and its nothing more exciting than Lancer. Its not a bad car but Its an economy FWD drive after all with insulting looks that certainly get your attention. And that's exactly what MB is aiming at and they are banking, very good for them.

My conclusion is: get the base car cause you still get the looks and the badge and skip the AMG, if you are gonna spend that money on econoboxes you are much better off with another arguably overpriced economy coupe known as M235 which most likely drives with more excitement due to RWD setup
Old 01-21-14, 05:58 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

We get it you don't like the car. Seriously I doubt most middle age adults with decent money would be comparing this car to a Lancer or WRX. I completely doubt a Lancer or WRX has the features a CLA45 offer. Most adults don't know which wheel is driving a car anyway.

I honestly don't like the CLA but in Amg form I'll take one. Everybody knows MB cars cost more than the compareable vehicles so that's nothing new.

Last edited by rogers2; 01-21-14 at 06:02 AM.
Old 01-21-14, 08:54 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this car looks pretty good in photo. but after seeing a few on the road i have to say they are ugly in person.
Old 01-21-14, 10:07 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Uh...You must be using "nearly-loaded" very loosely. The S4 is a great value but $54k is what you get when you choose options very carefully on a Premium Plus model. That being said, the S4 would be hard to turn down.
Not at all. You can get a premium plus with everything except adaptive damping and choose Alcantara over full leather (better for sport driving anyways) and come in @ <$57. Some of what's included in that is for aesthetics, too. These cars are essentially the same price because 2-3k is so close it's not going to be an obstacle relative to the cars themselves.
Old 01-21-14, 10:09 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

? Neither of those cars are a Mercedes. The materials in this might be cheap for a car in it's price range, but it still way outdoes either of those two cars.

This is a rather silly comparison - this car isn't 100% about performance like an Evo or STi.
Old 01-21-14, 11:50 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
54k gets you the prestige package, that doesn't include dsg, locking diffs, sports suspension and drivers aids... you are far from nearly loaded.
Old 01-21-14, 12:25 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I see so many CLA's on the road, and about 90% of those are driven by young women.
Old 01-21-14, 12:38 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I see so many CLA's on the road, and about 90% of those are driven by young women.
chic car

Quick Reply: Review: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG