Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A car dealer’s scientific guide to the 10 worst used vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 01:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm not a moderator, but it seems to me like this thread is going off-topic. We're not dealing with popularity, marketing, or sales-figures here, but with how likely a vehicle is to stay in or out of a repair shop. But, of course, the more a vehicle sells to the general public, the bigger the (potential) data is available to actually GET that repair/reliability information.

I'm surprised we don't see more German-designed vehicles on the list. While not universal by any means (and with some improvements lately), many of them have had more than their share of electronic and quality-control glitches for years.
Old 01-19-14, 01:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm surprised we don't see more German-designed vehicles on the list. While not universal by any means (and with some improvements lately), many of them have had more than their share of electronic and quality-control glitches for years.
It's because they sell well. The list is about the worst vehicles to take in on trade...whatever the issues may be with German cars people buy them...so that negates the issues off reliability for dealers taking cars in on trade .
Old 01-19-14, 01:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
It's because they sell well. The list is about the worst vehicles to take in on trade...whatever the issues may be with German cars people buy them...so that negates the issues off reliability for dealers taking cars in on trade .
Yes, you might (?) have a point, though it's hard to gauge whether the article is dealing with actual repair-rates themselves or how they affect its trade-in value. And, of course, some quite-reliable vehicles don't bring much of a trade simply because of their relative unpopularity either new or used. A good example of that is the awkward-looking Acura ZLX...a vehicle that, like other Honda/Acura products, is built with Swiss Watch precision, but, because of its ludicrous rear-end styling, simply sits on lots/showroom floors and goes nowhere.
Old 01-19-14, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's an anecdotal article, not a scientific article. It's dealership buyers saying what cars they don't want to purchase to sell on their lots, that's all.
Old 01-19-14, 03:12 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, you might (?) have a point, though it's hard to gauge whether the article is dealing with actual repair-rates themselves or how they affect its trade-in value. And, of course, some quite-reliable vehicles don't bring much of a trade simply because of their relative unpopularity either new or used. A good example of that is the awkward-looking Acura ZLX...a vehicle that, like other Honda/Acura products, is built with Swiss Watch precision, but, because of its ludicrous rear-end styling, simply sits on lots/showroom floors and goes nowhere.
As a counterpoint (to confirm your assertion), I would suspect the Jeep Wrangler isn't very far out of the top 10. It's not a reliable vehicle by any means--in its best years it's merely average--but retains value like nobody's business. This is where marketing and desirability takes over, and dependability takes a back seat.
Old 01-20-14, 04:18 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

i'm sure used car dealers love Mercedes and BMW regardless of quality issues - because they know the brands will sell regardless.
Old 01-20-14, 09:13 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The list doesnt surprise me at all. I have friends and coworkers who have owned 8 0f the cars AND THEY SUCK. The mini cooper had tranny issues like crazy and when my friend went in they wanted $4500 to replace a tranny in an 05 vehicle. Nuts
Old 01-20-14, 09:28 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Now that I think of it one of the MDs I work with had an Aviator and the car would not start all of the time, window motor issues, and his stereo went out. He now drives an LX
Old 01-20-14, 02:20 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would agreed with that list also.
Old 01-20-14, 03:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I would suspect the Jeep Wrangler isn't very far out of the top 10. It's not a reliable vehicle by any means--in its best years it's merely average--but retains value like nobody's business. This is where marketing and desirability takes over, and dependability takes a back seat.
true....[btw I wouldn't get anything w/o the 3.6-liter V6 285 hp, starting in '12 and its below avg]
Attached Thumbnails -capture.jpg  
Old 01-20-14, 08:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Now that I think of it one of the MDs I work with had an Aviator and the car would not start all of the time, window motor issues, and his stereo went out. He now drives an LX
My father in law had a Navigator. Left him stranded a bunch of times...lots of other problems too.
Old 01-20-14, 09:37 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

My aunt has a 2000ish Beetle. Diesel, 5 speed, 200k+ miles on it now. That little car is A TANK. Gets 50mpg, has never given her any problems(she bought it used 4-5 years ago with 100k on it).

About the only thing she can say bad about it(and any diesel really) is they don't like to start when its cold. She usually has it plugged in at her house on cold nights, but it left her stranded at work when it was like -5 degrees in Ohio a couple of weeks ago. She was funny, "Oh I let my poor car freeze to death, it was 0 degrees all day and that wind just whips through that parking garage."

But yeah, gas powered VW's generally suck IMO. My friend is a VW nut, has owned 2 or 3 of them, and swears off any VW that was made at the Mexican plant. He had a German made, diesel Golf, said it was a tank. The two gas Jettas, made in Mexico were pieces of junk.

Last edited by Aron9000; 01-20-14 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-21-14, 02:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Gekko
J.D. Power
Car Reliability Ratings - 2013 Vehicle Dependability Study
Infiniti is way below average here. The new q50 won't help either...

What happened?

Old 01-21-14, 06:16 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

that's exactly right around the time i had major problems with my mazda =\
Old 01-21-14, 07:31 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I work on cars on a daily basis, and I can't argue against any of the cars on the top 10... I've seen every problem listed...

IMO, there are a lot of other vehicles that could go up there on the list as well, but they probably aren't because their issues are significantly cheaper to fix, things such as ball joints, tie rod ends, etc...

Quick Reply: A car dealer’s scientific guide to the 10 worst used vehicles