Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New Car Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-14, 12:24 PM
TDub301
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Thoughts

Hello Lexus people. I'm starting to research into getting a new car.

I currently have a 2000 Maxima with about 240,000 miles on it. I put in a used engine at around 120,000 and the engine had about 60,000 miles on it at the time.

I love the car and have been happy with it, but it now has significant rust issues that I should have addressed long ago and am now reaping the benefits of my procrastination.

It has a handful of other issues, too, but if not for the rust I'd probably keep the car and just try to fix it up instead of getting a new one.

I know it may not be a popular choice here, but I really want to get a Charger (V8).

But I'm also looking at a G37 or a newer Maxima.

Someone on another forum suggested a Lexus GS, which I'm not sure why I never thought of, so that's easily a possibility.

The appeal of the G37 is that it is basically the car I wanted to turn my current Maxima into (I wanted to drop a G35 engine in it, a sports transmission, and convert it to 4 wheel drive). I'm specifically looking at a G37X sedan.

I'd also get a newer Maxima, as well. As I said, I'm happy with my current Maxima, so it vouches well for a newer one.

In a general sense, I'm looking for a sedan that I can fit into (I'm 6'4" and barely fit comfortably in my current Maxima with the seat all the way back) that gets at least as good gas mileage as my current car (about 20, probably because it's old and has 2 bad cats) and isn't wimpy. I'm looking to spend around 15 or 16 (but could go a little higher if it's worth it) and don't want to get anything older than an '08.

What are peoples' thoughts? Would there be any Lexuses that fall in that price range that are not older than an '08? I came here because obviously you guys are experts when it comes to one of the choices I'm leaning towards and I want to see what you think coming from that perspective.
Old 01-18-14, 12:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL and CAR CHAT as a brand-new poster.

I know it may not be a popular choice here, but I really want to get a Charger (V8).
If that what you have your heart set on, then go for it. Today's 2Gen Charger is head and shoulders above the old 1Gen one, has a choice of two potent Hemis, has far better interior materials, has better assembly at the factory, has a choice of RWD/AWD, and can be had in some of the old classic muscle-car colors it had in its late-60s/early-70s heyday. In fact, one of the local shops in this area has a bright purple (Plum-Crazy) R/T sitting right out on the lot in front of the showroom....yes, a factory paint-option. Insurance premiums, though, may be steep on the V8 versions, especially if you are a young unmarried male with a less-than-perfect driving record.

(In fact, since you're relatively nearby in MD, that purple one was still listed in the new-car inventory as of today, at the Fairfax, VA Farrish Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler shop)...but I'd call them first if you are interested in it, to make sure it hasn't been sold. They also have a bright red and an orange one.

http://www.farrishdodgejeep.net/new-...&SBprice=clear

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-18-14 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-18-14, 01:19 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

If your looking to spend 15-16k a 1st gen Charger with a V8 is definitely in your reach but the year requirement of 08+ may hold you back some. As for G37x and Maxima, those also should be easy to find. IMO i would go charger, those things are cool. good luck.
Old 01-18-14, 01:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
If your looking to spend 15-16k a 1st gen Charger with a V8 is definitely in your reach but the year requirement of 08+ may hold you back some.
True, a 2Gen Charger (especially an R/T or SRT8), would cost more...but, in general, it's a far better product, at least IMO.
Old 01-18-14, 02:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, a 2Gen Charger (especially an R/T or SRT8), would cost more...but, in general, it's a far better product, at least IMO.
with the exception of some Petastar/Mopar/Dodge forums I think the world may agree on this one
Old 01-19-14, 10:19 AM
TDub301
Driver School Candidate

Interesting replies, haha.

Yes, the Charger is my top choice, right now, simply based on which car I LIKE the most. But I'm torn because I'm afraid that the repair and gas costs will be significantly higher than other choices.

As far as the year goes, I would prefer getting the last of the 1st gen, rather than get the first year of the 2nd gen, only because there's kinks to be worked out whenever a new model comes out (as I've learned quite well with my Maxima and from doing research). If Chargers are an exception to that trend, then that might change things, of course, but I'm still thinking that the '09 will have less problems than the '10. But thanks for the info.

What if I were to look at a GS, though? How do you think that would compare in terms of upkeep and gas costs? If I'm not mistaken, they generally come in a V6 and a V8, right? 330 and 430?
Old 01-19-14, 10:39 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

If u want 08+ then it would be GS350 and 460.
The V8s are very rare and would be out of ur price range i think.
The 06 and 07 were GS430s - also rare.

The 08+ GS V6 are nice cars with a great engine still used on the current gen GS.
Old 02-10-14, 05:42 PM
TDub301
Driver School Candidate

Ya, I made a spreadsheet with a bunch of different choices. The only GSes that were close to my price range were the '08s. If I can find a good deal, one may still be a possibility.
Old 02-10-14, 08:15 PM
LexFather

I am 6"4 and the GS fits great and the F-sport has 16 way seats and the Luxury model 18 way both featuring leg extenders for those long legs. The GS is leasing extremely well now so I highly recommend it. If you mean the previous model, I have it too and the seats are not great and I wish it had leg extenders.

The newer maxima also has leg extenders, they are manual but still work the same. To me this is something to look for in cars if you have long legs. I am a huge fan of the current maxima.

If you want to stick with Nissan you can lease a Q50 for $300-$350 a month and it has manual leg extenders also. I cannot remember if the G37 has it, I do believe so. The seats are decent but not great.