Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW parking assist fail?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 11:11 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default BMW parking assist fail?

A Florida driver told police that he had a car accident when his parking assistant mechanism malfunctioned.

Sounds like a driver fail to me!

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...fail.wpbf.html
Old 01-17-14, 11:41 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah this article is being discussed in the 3IS forum to.

A faulty parking-assist function has been blamed for sending a car zooming over a parking lot division, crashing into a parked vehicle. No one was injured in the accident.
The incident occurred in the Target parking lot in Stuart, Fla. Jonathon Libratore, 27, told police he was attempting to park when the parking-assist function on his 2013 BMW malfunctioned, causing the vehicle to accelerate over the parking mound and collide with a parked car on the other side, according to the accident report.
Both cars had to be towed from the scene.
Libratore’s infant son was also in the vehicle but was uninjured in the crash, according to the report. ABC News has been unable to reach him.
BMW defended its driver-assistance equipment, saying it is designed to assist drivers with parallel parking and does not control the speed of the car.
“The system does not control the speed of the vehicle at any time,” BMW North America spokesman David Buchko told ABC News. “The driver controls the speed of the vehicle with the accelerator and the brake.”BMW has not been contacted by authorities to investigate the incident, he added.

Owner claims the car did it.

From the BMW website:

BMW Parking Assistant searches for a parking pace, and does the parking for you at the drop of a command. Ultrasonic sensors in the side indicators search for availability when traveling at speeds of up to 22mph. Blue arrows indicate if parking is availiable on the left or right side of the road, while also taking care of steering as you select the correct gear and control accelerator and brake.
This is completely user error and the owner is a blooming idiot. He should have claimed unintended acceleration if he was going to use an excuse for causing this accidient. Stupid is as stupid does
Old 01-18-14, 12:38 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not completely unrelated, I saw a gray BMW M5 recently that reversed off a ledge and onto the sidewalk. The car was sitting at a 45 degree angle facing into the sky. I wonder if the lady claimed her rear view camera malfunctioned xD
Old 01-18-14, 02:26 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by nabbun
Not completely unrelated, I saw a gray BMW M5 recently that reversed off a ledge and onto the sidewalk. The car was sitting at a 45 degree angle facing into the sky. I wonder if the lady claimed her rear view camera malfunctioned xD
In this day and age it's getting easier and easier to blame technology. There is little accountablility anymore
Old 01-18-14, 03:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

pretty much the same as all those Lexus stories :-)
Old 01-18-14, 03:18 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
A Florida driver told police that he had a car accident when his parking assistant mechanism malfunctioned.

Sounds like a driver fail to me!

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...fail.wpbf.html

I do not know why everyone like to blame the programming at fault. It is almost always user error.
Old 01-18-14, 03:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

p.s. Lexus with automated parking turns of automation if you go over certain speed... i am sure that BMW is the same way.
Old 01-18-14, 03:28 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

This story reminds me of this video. Granted it was not using an auto park feature.
Old 01-18-14, 03:32 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by darkdream
I do not know why everyone like to blame the programming at fault. It is almost always user error.
like I mentioned above, there's no accountablility anymore. It's too easy to blame technology when something goes wrong.

Fords Sync system works just fine. It's all user error - and partly Ford Salespersons fault for not explaining how the sytems works at time of delivery
Old 01-19-14, 12:06 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Reminds me of these GPS Navigation fail stories

@spwolf

It reminds me of that old woman from Belgium who was supposed to travel to Brussels but instead ended up in Zagreb, Croatia.........because her GPS told he to do so
Old 01-19-14, 12:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Reminds me of these GPS Navigation fail stories

@spwolf

It reminds me of that old woman from Belgium who was supposed to travel to Brussels but instead ended up in Zagreb, Croatia.........because her GPS told he to do so

How about Japanese tourist driving into the aussie sea, at GPS's insistence?
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...o-the-pacific/
Old 01-19-14, 02:02 AM
Tim1988
Driver School Candidate

It's a bmw.. I'm surprised it didn't just blow up.

This guy is lucky his BMW actually lasted as long as it did.. my friend's BMW 3 Series lasted a total of 40k Miles before it started literally falling apart on the road. I laughed my *** off driving past him in my Lexus.

The 'L' brand is coming for Beemer's over rated azz......it won't be long before everyone realize BMW is horrible.

Lexus already dominated their pathetic X SUVS. RX destroyed their X.
Soon the combined might of the IS/ES sales will knock down the 3 Series.
Than the GS, than the LS. It's gonna be funny as hell in 2020... when BMW is competing against Volvo in that third tier of luxury cars.
Old 01-19-14, 02:04 AM
Tim1988
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf

How about Japanese tourist driving into the aussie sea, at GPS's insistence?
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...o-the-pacific/
If that car was a Lexus or Infiniti/Acura.. it still would have ran for another 200,000 miles.
Old 01-19-14, 09:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

The only thing that failed was the driver
Old 01-20-14, 07:10 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

I actually had to deal with a lady at work who claimed the same thing when her Ford didn't stop and hit a tree. Pulled out the owners manual and read the part that states it does NOT control the brakes or accelerator and she still said it was Ford's fault because nobody told her. People are just stupid.

Quick Reply: BMW parking assist fail?