Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 10:27 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!

I was out running some errands and saw this beautiful 1950s Jaguar D Type out for a ride. The driver looked the part with the goggles and bandana as well as the racing gear.i followed this guy for about 8-9 miles and I couldn't believe how fast it was. He knew I was taking pics and video so he would show off for me by blasting out of every light and then cruising right next to me. Had to share his for the CL members who love and appreciate real automotive history in the flesh and on the road. As you might be able to see the car is wearing historical vehicle plates. It's also auto week in AZ so I would be surprised if the car was going across the block at Barrett Jackson this week.

Just for reference and a little lesson. The Jaguar D was only produced from 1954-57. What makes the at even more special is that it won at LeMans in 1955,56, AND 57. In fact these cars destroyed Ferrari and even took 5 of the 6 top spots at LeMans in 1957. To boot and to add some mysticism the factory that produced these gorgeous machines burned down while the final 25 cars were being completed. Only 9 of the 25 made it through the fire. This beautiful machine was heavily based on the pre generation C Type and even have birth to the super hardcore Jaguar XKSS ( I posted a pic of an XKSS lasts week at the AZ concours De Elegance).
Old 01-17-14, 10:37 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I posted pics but thy didn't take. Here they are again
Attached Thumbnails I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-image-3044467540.png   I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-image-4193159448.png   I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-image-326023156.png   I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-image-2477295627.png   I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-image-2002384611.png  

I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-image-3084871707.png   I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-image-2495832571.png  
Old 01-17-14, 10:50 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Does it get anymore real deal than this. The guy is even wearing the old school racing gear. I felt like I was following a ghost . Like a spirit from LeMans 60 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-image-1477731054.png   I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-image-4187471752.png  
Old 01-17-14, 10:53 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

OMGosh!! fantastic!!

Jaguar payed homaged to the D-Type a few months ago with the F-Type Project 7 Speedster Concept

The bandana and goggles make it that much better
Old 01-17-14, 01:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
OMGosh!! fantastic!!

Jaguar payed homaged to the D-Type a few months ago with the F-Type Project 7 Speedster Concept

The bandana and goggles make it that much better
The drivers outfit did make it that much cooler to see. He was driving like he wanted me to take pics but never moved his head right or left to look at me. It was almost erie, like he was a ghost or spirit. You could tell the driver was elderly from the way his skin looked and it was seen near one of the largest retirement communities in the area. How cool would it be if he was an original driver of one of the original D Types and kept the car all of these years. I asked around at the Concours De Elegance and nobody knew the owner. Believe it or not this is the second Jaguar D Type race car I have seen in AZ . The last one was a white one I caught at the AZ Festival of speed ( the super bowl of Cars and coffee out here)

It was amazing. I was so excited . The guy was at an intersection when the light turned green. I had to do 100 mph for a mile or so to catch up to him. When I did I was in Automotive Nirvana. What a machine and what a sound. I think many people, including myself, think these old cars wrer slow. This thing took off from the light faster than anything I have ever seen before, and the exhaust sounded like a beast with zero restriction.

Thanks for sharing the excitement with me Hoovey. Most dont care about these pieces of history or are simply not familiar with the history of these classic model. Even though my threads on this historical stuff get no love I share this stuff to hopefully spread some excitement for these machines, to teach people a little about them, and to expose them. I am happy to have members as knowledgable as you

I may hit Barrett Jackson this weekend . I will have my eyes open for something cool.........as long as its not classic American . I am so tired of those cars. I like earlier European cars that made their names at Lemans and not at the drive in theater
Old 01-17-14, 01:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

by the way these cars are valued at $2,500,000 to $4,500,000. This dude was cruising in something twice the value of a Veyron. You can tell by the historical plates its the REAL DEAL !!! Thats how we can tell who is rocking a replica or the real thing.
Old 01-17-14, 01:07 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

that thing is gorgeous. thanks for sharing. i hope when i age, the country and justice system will allow me to take one of my classics on the road just to enjoy the pleasure of driving. we will see what the world is like in 50 years.
Old 01-17-14, 04:45 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The drivers outfit did make it that much cooler to see. He was driving like he wanted me to take pics but never moved his head right or left to look at me. It was almost erie, like he was a ghost or spirit. You could tell the driver was elderly from the way his skin looked and it was seen near one of the largest retirement communities in the area. How cool would it be if he was an original driver of one of the original D Types and kept the car all of these years. I asked around at the Concours De Elegance and nobody knew the owner. Believe it or not this is the second Jaguar D Type race car I have seen in AZ . The last one was a white one I caught at the AZ Festival of speed ( the super bowl of Cars and coffee out here)

It was amazing. I was so excited . The guy was at an intersection when the light turned green. I had to do 100 mph for a mile or so to catch up to him. When I did I was in Automotive Nirvana. What a machine and what a sound. I think many people, including myself, think these old cars wrer slow. This thing took off from the light faster than anything I have ever seen before, and the exhaust sounded like a beast with zero restriction.

Thanks for sharing the excitement with me Hoovey. Most dont care about these pieces of history or are simply not familiar with the history of these classic model. Even though my threads on this historical stuff get no love I share this stuff to hopefully spread some excitement for these machines, to teach people a little about them, and to expose them. I am happy to have members as knowledgable as you

I may hit Barrett Jackson this weekend . I will have my eyes open for something cool.........as long as its not classic American . I am so tired of those cars. I like earlier European cars that made their names at Lemans and not at the drive in theater
It makes it that more nostalgic, well that and those plates . That is kinda eerie he never turned his head, but he knew. I'd have thought it was the ghost of Sir William Lyons himself or perhaps Mike Hawthorn winning the 1955 LeMans which incidently was the worst accident in motorsports history where several drivers and 80 spectators lost their lives.

That's awesome man. You should invest in a dash camera so we can see rolling footage of all these classic and exotic cars you see

No no, THANK YOU for sharing . If it weren't for enthusiasts (such as yourself) that embrace the past and share the passion, icons such as this would go unloved. Which is a travesty considering it's cars like this and other automotive icons steming from racing pedigree that paved the way for modern cars in engineering, aerodynamics, innovation, technology etc. The beauty of older automobiles and racecars is that they were ahead of their time and carry with them the Spirit of Automobiling. Driving raw but pure.

I look forward to pictures if you go

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
by the way these cars are valued at $2,500,000 to $4,500,000. This dude was cruising in something twice the value of a Veyron. You can tell by the historical plates its the REAL DEAL !!! Thats how we can tell who is rocking a replica or the real thing.
As cool as a Bugatti is, that is straight gangsta
Old 01-17-14, 06:45 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice catch! I would love to have been there to witness it and hear it too.
Old 01-17-14, 10:11 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up Jaguar D Type #3 was the 1957 LeMans winner !!!!!!!!!!

This just got even sweeter !!!!! I just did a little archival research and the #3 Jaguar D Type was the winning car in the 1957 LeMans race !!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one of the most significant Jaguar vehicles in history. There are even die cast models of the car all over the net for sale !!!!!!!

http://motorsportsminiatures.com/spa...mans-1957.html

Spark Jaguar D Type #3 Le Mans Winner 1957 - I Bueb/R Flockhart 1/43 Scale Resin Collectors Model: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games Spark Jaguar D Type #3 Le Mans Winner 1957 - I Bueb/R Flockhart 1/43 Scale Resin Collectors Model: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games
Attached Thumbnails I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-1957-le-mans-winner-d-type.jpeg   I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-images.jpeg   I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-jaguar-d-type-1956-57-longnose.png  
Old 01-17-14, 10:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

check this out !! Found more archival photos of the winning car of the 1957 24 hours of LeMans race . The #3 Jaguar D Type !!!!!

Feeling ever more fortunate to have caught such an amazing car ON THE ROAD !!!!
Attached Thumbnails I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-c3205-jaguar-d-type-1957-b.jpg   I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-newaf082.gif   I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!-0nymv0hqwi2dvq.png  
Old 01-17-14, 11:29 PM
Hoovey689

An even more incredible sighting then

this is so cool btw. I want to blow these up and frame them

Old 01-18-14, 12:41 AM
LexFather

That was a really cool find and I learned some things today because of this thread. Nice!

Old 01-19-14, 11:28 AM
Hoovey689

Not to thread jack, but with the Barrett-Jackson Auction going on right now, something in a similar light to this D-Type popped up and I just wanted to share:

1963 Shelby Cooper Monaco King Cobra

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/1963-...photo-2162864/

Press Release on it:
Chassis No. CM/3/63. The only original surviving Shelby Factory Team King Cobra authenticated by Carroll Shelby and SAAC that retains most of its original components. Eligible to participate in the most important historic events. An essential part of Shelby history and a unique opportunity. This is one of the most sought-after and significant automobiles ever built and raced by Carroll Shelby and the Shelby American team. CM/3/63 has been driven by America's premier drivers including Holbert, Miles, Leslie, Pabst, Scott and Bucknum in the USRRC Series, setting the stage for the most famous of all American road race series, the Can-Am. This magnificent beauty has impeccable history and provenance from new. Rand E. Bailey, renowned Shelby restorer and Concours Director, found that many of the Shelby/Ford sourced parts are stamped with matching date codes, a testament to this car's authentic character. CM/3/63 has been authenticated on several occasions in writing by Carroll Shelby and has a known, continuous history, as verified by the Shelby Registry, since leaving Shelby American's ownership. Powered by a 289cid OHV V8 with four Weber carburetors and 400hp at 7,000rpm. Also features a 5-speed manual transaxle, 4-wheel disc brakes and 4-wheel independent suspension with coil springs over tubular shock absorbers. One of two Cooper-Monaco Shelbys purchased by Shelby American for the 1963 Fall Series. Ray Salvadori, Ford Advanced Vehicles Europe driver, raced this car as the development vehicle for the Ford GT40 Program.
Old 01-19-14, 11:33 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Phenomenal I8ABMR. You're very lucky to have seen that in person!

Quick Reply: I8AMBR caught Jaguar's famous and rare 1950s D Type on the road !!!