Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

RIP Dodge Avenger - You will NOT be missed

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-14, 09:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not impressed with the Dart either. Compare it to the similarly priced Mazda 3, and its no comparison.
Old 01-17-14, 05:27 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a huge car enthusiasts and I always try to find a good reason to like each and every car out there. However, the latest model avenger is one car I seem to cringe at every time I see one. The previous avenger looks better and more sporty.
Old 01-17-14, 02:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I'm not impressed with the Dart either. Compare it to the similarly priced Mazda 3, and its no comparison.
It's not really supposed to go one-on-one with the Mazda3. The Mazda3 was designed primarily for those who want an inexpensive sports-sedan (or hatchback)...and it fulfills that role pretty well. The Dart, though with some Italian input (and, of course, using a modified Alfa Romeo Giulianni chassis/platform) was generally designed for a more pedestrian crowd than the Mazda3.
Old 01-17-14, 08:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's not really supposed to go one-on-one with the Mazda3. The Mazda3 was designed primarily for those who want an inexpensive sports-sedan (or hatchback)...and it fulfills that role pretty well. The Dart, though with some Italian input (and, of course, using a modified Alfa Romeo Giulianni chassis/platform) was generally designed for a more pedestrian crowd than the Mazda3.
Im not talking about sportiness at all here. They are not sport Sedans, and while Mazda might have very good handling, its still FWD econobox when it comes down to it. I'm talking about build quality and materials, and the Mazda easily trumps the Dart. I'm too lazy to check right now, but I'm willing to bet Mazda 3 sells a lot better as well, largely due to that reason.
Old 01-17-14, 09:02 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Im not talking about sportiness at all here. They are not sport Sedans, and while Mazda might have very good handling, its still FWD econobox when it comes down to it. I'm talking about build quality and materials, and the Mazda easily trumps the Dart. I'm too lazy to check right now, but I'm willing to bet Mazda 3 sells a lot better as well, largely due to that reason.
The Mazdas are awful tempting, I have to tell you. I'm going to be shopping for a late-model car in the next few months and both the 3 and 6 are on my list.
Old 01-17-14, 09:06 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The Mazdas are awful tempting, I have to tell you. I'm going to be shopping for a late-model car in the next few months and both the 3 and 6 are on my list.
I'm leasing a 2013, and its a good, solid car. The 2014 is even better, and looks even better in person than it does in photos. From your previous posts you do need a new car, and I highly recommond checking out the 3 - its inexpensive, practical, attractive and very well built. The 2 liter engine may be a bit anemic, but fuel mileage makes up for it.
Old 01-17-14, 09:25 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I'm leasing a 2013, and its a good, solid car. The 2014 is even better, and looks even better in person than it does in photos. From your previous posts you do need a new car, and I highly recommond checking out the 3 - its inexpensive, practical, attractive and very well built. The 2 liter engine may be a bit anemic, but fuel mileage makes up for it.
Thanks for the recommendation

I probably won't get the current gen, unless I can get a real good deal. My plan is to buy something about 3-4 years old. I'm aiming for a monthly payment of around $200 so I can throw as much of my disposable income as I can into savings
Old 01-17-14, 09:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Thanks for the recommendation

I probably won't get the current gen, unless I can get a real good deal. My plan is to buy something about 3-4 years old. I'm aiming for a monthly payment of around $200 so I can throw as much of my disposable income as I can into savings
Im paying $237 a month for brand new 2013, nothing down. Only paid about $200 registration fee, everythign else is figured into the payment. Can't be happier.
Old 01-17-14, 11:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Im paying $237 a month for brand new 2013, nothing down. Only paid about $200 registration fee, everythign else is figured into the payment. Can't be happier.
excellent
Old 01-18-14, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Im not talking about sportiness at all here. They are not sport Sedans, and while Mazda might have very good handling, its still FWD econobox when it comes down to it.
Mazda3s ARE sport-sedans by FWD compact standards. The Zoom-Zoom ad campaign is not there for nothing...it sums up the Mazda chassis pretty well. Small Mazda sedans, over the years, wit their "Kanzai" engineering, developed a reputation as the "'Poor Man's BMW". I myself owned three of them....a GLC, a 323, and a Protege.

I'm talking about build quality and materials, and the Mazda easily trumps the Dart.
Have you sat in and/or driven a Dart? Granted, neither one is a Rolls-Royce or Maybach inside, but both seem well-built with reasonably good materials. The main difference is the Mazda's more refined powertrains....there, the Dart, with its underpowered Fiat-derived engines/transmissions, still needs a little more work.

I'm too lazy to check right now, but I'm willing to bet Mazda 3 sells a lot better as well, largely due to that reason.
No big deal. Just go back to the original post (the article). I didn't totally agree with it, but it mentioned the effect of the Avenger on Dart sales. For several reasons, the Mazda3 isn't getting quite as much competition from its own brother Mazda6.
Old 01-18-14, 11:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
However, the latest model Avenger is one car I seem to cringe at every time I see one.
Take a Smart-for-Two out for a test drive. You'll probably be glad to get back in an Avenger.

However, I agree that, compared to most of its mid-sized competition, the Avenger is second-rate.
Old 01-18-14, 12:27 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha! I has this guy in my unit who thinks his Avenger is the bees knees. V6 with such and such horse power. He also "knew" that his car was RWD and handled like a dream. He claimed it had so much power that he would often fishtail in the rain.

I lol'd so hard in his face after I pointed out that there was no drive shaft and that he couldn't tell the difference between torque steer and fishtail xD

For context, he's one of those know it alls that will always call you an idiot until proven wrong with the facts and then still try to play it off like he wasn't entirely wrong in some shape or form.
Old 01-19-14, 12:19 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nabbun
Haha! I has this guy in my unit who thinks his Avenger is the bees knees. V6 with such and such horse power. He also "knew" that his car was RWD and handled like a dream. He claimed it had so much power that he would often fishtail in the rain.

I lol'd so hard in his face after I pointed out that there was no drive shaft and that he couldn't tell the difference between torque steer and fishtail xD

For context, he's one of those know it alls that will always call you an idiot until proven wrong with the facts and then still try to play it off like he wasn't entirely wrong in some shape or form.
LOL

In any case, I lol'ed at one comment:
The Avenger has a blind spot as BIG as the HULK HIMSELF
Old 01-19-14, 10:36 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And I'm sure that the new Chrylser 200 will be just as disappointing.
Old 01-19-14, 10:47 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
And I'm sure that the new Chrylser 200 will be just as disappointing.
Sweet troll post.

Quick Reply: RIP Dodge Avenger - You will NOT be missed