Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A teen with some questions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 07:46 PM
Codeodd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face A teen with some questions?

Hi everyone-

I'm turning 16 in less than 6 months and I've already been thinking about what kind of car to get. My mother has a 2006 RX 330, and my grandfather used to have a 1994 ES 300.

So far, my mother's told me that she really doesn't want to get a car that isn't a Lexus because of its better protection during accidents- is that true? Are Lexus's (Lexi?) better built for things like accidents?

Another question, how good is gas milage? The RX we have is averaging 16MPG, and living in a sparsely populated suburban area it's not very stop and go. That seems really low- and I'm not going to have the kind of money to keep feeding it gas, especially at these prices. For a few months after I get my license, my mom's decided to let me use her car as my driver because she can't use it.

My final question- are Lexus's generally more costly to insure? I would believe so, but sorry if this is a stupid question.

So basically my three questions are
1.) How good are they in terms of passenger accident protection?
2.) Is the 16MPG average very low for an SUV, and if I buy a used sedan it shouldn't be that low?
3.) Are they more costly to insure, significantly?

Sorry if these are stupid questions- I'm really looking for information on cars and I want to be prepared when the time comes. Thank you!
Old 01-12-14, 07:56 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well

1/ Japanese imports are not that good in accident protections, german and american are. But in trade, German and American are heavier, so they feel less snappy, more sluggy compare to Japanese. Those are in general. But as all of the vehicles have to pass crash test, then you dont have anything to worry much, especially large car like RX.

2/ insurance will be rated due on Brands, Model Year, Driver record, Some Credit history. So yes, Lexus will be more expensive compare to cheaper Brands as Ford, toyota...etc.

3/ milage per gallon ? Suv, Van, larger vehicles are generally consuming more gas. Also bigger displacement will consume more gas. But japanese are generally the best in gas consumption in the same class. For that said, your RX will spend more than a V6 camry, let alone a i4
Old 01-12-14, 08:02 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want my suggestion. Trade in the RX for the same year Camry I4, or accord, or civic. Reasons are as follows.

1/ smaller car = easier to handle, hence easier to drive with, and learn with
2/ those cars are cheaper to ensure
3/ they spend less gas
Old 01-12-14, 08:14 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Ahh, I remember that age when I first got my learner's permit.

1) most modern day cars are going to give you good (enough) protection. They all meet stringent standards for safety and the RX will fair well. That being said, many people believe european (read: german) carmakers give better protection but its all based on personal opinions, experience and stories. The only thing you can rely on is crash ratings and the RX fairs well. I believe the only area it was lacking was in rear crash protection. Back then, they did not have whiplash lessening seats and so it received a poor rating from the IIHS.

2) 16 sounds about right if you are driving mostly in the city.

3) Yes, they will be more costly to insure, but not so more than other luxury carmakers. Just make sure when they add you onto the policy, make sure you are just registered as an extra driver and not the sole driver of the Lexus.
Old 01-13-14, 08:06 PM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Codeodd
So far, my mother's told me that she really doesn't want to get a car that isn't a Lexus because of its better protection during accidents- is that true? Are Lexus's (Lexi?) better built for things like accidents?
Notice the damage to my 2000 ES 300 (totaled a year ago) in the pic; rear-ended by that 2002 Jeep Liberty.
The only damage to that Jeep was his front license plate fell off.
A teen with some questions?-forumrunner_20140113_200539.png

Proof is in the pics.

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.
Old 01-14-14, 07:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Hi everyone-

I'm turning 16 in less than 6 months and I've already been thinking about what kind of car to get. My mother has a 2006 RX 330, and my grandfather used to have a 1994 ES 300.

Another question, how good is gas milage? The RX we have is averaging 16MPG, and living in a sparsely populated suburban area it's not very stop and go. That seems really low- and I'm not going to have the kind of money to keep feeding it gas, especially at these prices. For a few months after I get my license, my mom's decided to let me use her car as my driver because she can't use it.

My final question- are Lexus's generally more costly to insure? I would believe so, but sorry if this is a stupid question.

So basically my three questions are
1.) How good are they in terms of passenger accident protection?
2.) Is the 16MPG average very low for an SUV, and if I buy a used sedan it shouldn't be that low?
3.) Are they more costly to insure, significantly?

Sorry if these are stupid questions- I'm really looking for information on cars and I want to be prepared when the time comes. Thank you!
Welcome to the Club.

1) I'd put Lexus and Toyota products among the best from my own knowledge, I know that may not be the case for others , but we have pretty low insurance rates on both, my 99 RX300 and our 2006 4Runner
2) 16 MPG is not out of the question for the RX330, but it really depends on how you drive it and how well you take care of it. You will find a lot of hints and tricks over in our RX forums about how to improve MPG (a lot small little things can add up to better MPG)
3. Lexus is a luxury vehicle, but the RX330 is a lot newer, more common, there are parts for it, but keep in mind too, it's one hell of a reliable vehicle and consider your friends who will pay out the the ear on parts and maintenance (much of the basic maintenance you can DIY as we show in our forums here), so you might pay more on the insurance than its Toyota brother the Toyota Highlander, insurance will be the most of your issues with the reliability of this vehicle.
Old 01-14-14, 10:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL as a first-time poster.

Don't be ashamed to ask things like this....especially on this CAR CHAT forum, which it what it is for. You raise some valid questions, especially for a young person with little or no car-buying experience.

Although Mercedes and Volvo products, in general, lead the auto industry in safety-equipment and safety-innovations (they have done so for many years), any relatively recent Lexus product would also be quite credible in the safety-department. Subarus, in general, are also known for a very strong unibody-frame and good crashworthiness in an accident.

are Lexus's generally more costly to insure? I would believe so, but sorry if this is a stupid question.
Again, no, it's not a stupid question, but it is hard to give a definitive answer. Many different factors go into a typical insurance premiums....age/experience of the primary driver(s), the (primary) drivers' record of tickets/violation, local crime-rates and the location/area the car will be registered and parked in, the car's age, used-car value, limits of the policy itself (collision/liability/comprehensive), amount of deductibles, the record of what the insurance company actually pays out in claims for that model, and the actual performance of the car in government crash tests.

(And, perhaps, the amount of money the company spends on stupid TV commercials like with Progressive's Flo, the GEICO reptile/cave-man, General's cartoon-general, Allstates's smooth-talking CEO, and State Farm's lively little tunes).

my grandfather used to have a 1994 ES300.
Generally a nice car, but many 3.0L V6-equipped Toyota/Lexus vehicles from that vintage 3.0L V6 had serious gel/sludging problems in the engine if the oil and filter were not changed within reasonable intervals. There was (usually) no problem if the owners kept the oil changed at the proper intervals, but, those who were lazy or negligent often paid the price in ruined or seriously damaged engines. If you or any one in you family are going to look at an older Toyota/Lexus used vehicle with that engine, make sure it has documented service and oil-change records. That way, though of course there are no guarantees on a vehicle that old, you will at least minimize any possible risks from negligent owners.
Old 01-14-14, 12:35 PM
Codeodd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thank you for all of these thorough answers- it really helps a lot!