Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Speed" ad reminds us the danger of speeding

Old 01-12-14, 05:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default "Speed" ad reminds us the danger of speeding

This was posted by Shervin350 in the 2IS section and I thought I'd share it here since it doens't matter if you drive a Lexus or a Kia as there is always the danger of speed.

Old 01-12-14, 05:11 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting add. It always irritates me when I see people speeding and weaving in and out of traffic like nothing bad could possibly happen. IMO that is just selfish.
Old 01-12-14, 05:22 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

very interesting. I will admit that I am a fast(er) driver than those on the road that don't know how to drive. Sometimes, I know I need to step back and think about what I could lose, but its so hard in the heat of the moment.

Also interesting that it says, "Other drivers make mistakes" .... lol....that's how I feel all the time.
Old 01-12-14, 05:39 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, that's a really sobering commercial. I hope I can remember it at the time I should.

Thanks for positing it Hoovy
Old 01-12-14, 05:56 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the message I got is if you can't drive a tank legally drive a Hummer H3
Old 01-12-14, 06:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Wow, that's a really sobering commercial. I hope I can remember it at the time I should.

Thanks for positing it Hoovy
Doesn't mean you can't have fun in the Vette, just do so responsibly

No problem!
Old 01-13-14, 07:54 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dc893
Interesting add. It always irritates me when I see people speeding and weaving in and out of traffic like nothing bad could possibly happen. IMO that is just selfish.
But, if ALL people would follow the rules of the road...you know, like the one that says "Slower Traffic Keep Right"...faster drivers wouldn't have to "weave in and out of traffic".

To me, the weaving guy isn't the arrogant *** who doesn't know how to drive, it's the morons who think that "Whatever speed I'm going is the absolute maximum speed that ANYONE ELSE ON THE ROAD should drive" - that's the arrogant asshat driver.

I'm fine if someone isn't comfortable driving fast..if you're not comfortable, for God's sake, don't do it! and I'm fine if you think 10 UNDER the limit is a "reasonable" speed to drive. That's fine, you've got nowhere to be right now. Good for you. But, follow the rules of the road and drive slowly in the FAR RIGHT lanes!
Old 01-13-14, 09:21 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Habious
But, if ALL people would follow the rules of the road...you know, like the one that says "Slower Traffic Keep Right"...faster drivers wouldn't have to "weave in and out of traffic".

To me, the weaving guy isn't the arrogant *** who doesn't know how to drive, it's the morons who think that "Whatever speed I'm going is the absolute maximum speed that ANYONE ELSE ON THE ROAD should drive" - that's the arrogant asshat driver.

I'm fine if someone isn't comfortable driving fast..if you're not comfortable, for God's sake, don't do it! and I'm fine if you think 10 UNDER the limit is a "reasonable" speed to drive. That's fine, you've got nowhere to be right now. Good for you. But, follow the rules of the road and drive slowly in the FAR RIGHT lanes!
QFT!

The left lane isn't the "fast" lane, Its the PASSING lane. I.E. if you are getting passed on the right, you aren't in the correct lane.
Old 01-13-14, 10:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Good thread.

Excessive speed (or driving too fast for conditions)is just as dangerous, if not more so, than driving under the effect of drugs/alcohol, texting/cell-phone use, falling asleep or dozing off, kiddie-distractions in the back seat, screwing around with NAV/GPS/video-screens while taking one's eyes off the road, or any one of a number of other distractions/hazards. While it's true that some speed limits here and there can be safely raised a little, in most cases, they exist (and are enforced) for good reason.

Originally Posted by ExtremeDimensions
The left lane isn't the "fast" lane, Its the PASSING lane. I.E. if you are getting passed on the right, you aren't in the correct lane.
Originally Posted by habious

if you think 10 UNDER the limit is a "reasonable" speed to drive

follow the rules of the road and drive slowly in the FAR RIGHT lanes!
These statements are well-meaning, but are only partly correct. It's true that slower traffic is generally encouraged to stay to the right. But, legally, speed limits apply to ALL of the lanes in the roadway, not just the ones on the left. In other words, legally, if you exceed the limit even in the left lane, you are speeding, although, in most cases, police won't bother you unless you are going 10 MPH or more over. In fact, even the speed-cameras are usually set to 10-11 MPH over to allow for things such as speedometer error and the effect of downgrades/hills .
Old 01-13-14, 10:53 AM
Extreme Dimensions
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Good thread.

Excessive speed (or driving too fast for conditions)is just as dangerous, if not more so, than driving under the effect of drugs/alcohol, texting/cell-phone use, falling asleep or dozing off, kiddie-distractions in the back seat, screwing around with NAV/GPS/video-screens while taking one's eyes off the road, or any one of a number of other distractions/hazards. While it's true that some speed limits here and there can be safely raised a little, in most cases, they exist (and are enforced) for good reason.

These statements are well-meaning, but are only partly correct. It's true that slower traffic is generally encouraged to stay to the right. But, legally, speed limits apply to ALL of the lanes in the roadway, not just the ones on the left. In other words, legally, if you exceed the limit even in the left lane, you are speeding, although, in most cases, police won't bother you unless you are going 10 MPH or more over. In fact, even the speed-cameras are usually set to 10-11 MPH over to allow for things such as speedometer error and the effect of downgrades/hills .

yes, the speed limit does apply to all roadways, and I understand that. Habious specifically stated that if you feel safe doing 10 under the limit, to do so, but not at the expense of others. However If i feel doing the speed limit is safe, then I should not have to be forced to drive around slower drivers.

While we can all agree that driving at excessive speeds can be dangerous, the same can be said of driving too slow.

I think what it comes down to is the need for more drivers education.
How is that amateurs can get on the track at Fontana and drive faster than 150 mph? It is because they have training to drive that fast. If everyone took a defensive driving course, the roads would be a much safer place.

Anyone can have a license, and we all know someone who is constantly getting into fender benders. That is where the real problem lies.
Old 01-13-14, 11:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Anyone can have a license, and we all know someone who is constantly getting into fender benders. That is where the real problem lies.
That's because, in the U.S., in most states, once somebody passes a behind-the-wheel driving test and actually GETS a license, in most cases, they are never actually required to do so again, or to actually re-demonstrate their proficiency behind the wheel. They just pay the renewal-fee to DMV (which, in reality, is just another state tax), and keep going their merry way. I strongly suspect that's why you hear so many stories of 80 and 90-year old people confusing the accelerator/brake pedals and going off the road or running into the sides of buildings.

And, decades ago when I first got my license in 1969 , it was not a graduated process like it is done today (or done in steps). After the test-drive, the cop or examining official either gave you an unrestricted license or flunked you. If the license was unrestricted, you were (at least in the eyes of the law), entitled to drive anywhere, any time, with no legal restrictions (though, of course, you could be subject to your parents' rules/restrictions if you lived at home with them and used their car). Some licenses, if applicable, had a contact-lens/glasses requirement written on them, or did not allow driving at night, but, of course, that didn't apply to many teen agers.

But the point was that back then, and even today, once you first got your license as a 16-18 year old, it was usually good for the rest of your life unless you screwed up with the law and and got it suspended/revoked. You never had to formally take a driving-proficiency test again behind the wheel, no mattter how many times you renewed it with your state's DMV.

Contast that with what a pilot or air-crew member goes through. To keep either a civilian or military pilot's rating current, one must not only take regular medical exams from a Certified Flight Surgeon (and pass them), but also, at least once or twice a year, pass a rigorous flying-skill test in an advanced flight-simulator or actual cockpit. No pass.....no fly.
Old 01-13-14, 11:31 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess the message is (or should be):

Do not drive faster than you can react given your ability and the conditions.
Old 01-13-14, 11:34 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

QFT!

Good memory jog here.

The general guideline is to drive up to the speed limit in the right lane. When you come up to somebody who is slower, switch to the left lane, pass that car, and switch back to the right lane.
Old 01-13-14, 12:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chikoo
The general guideline is to drive up to the speed limit in the right lane. When you come up to somebody who is slower, switch to the left lane, pass that car, and switch back to the right lane.
Your statement, though, while generally true, ignores the fact that, legally, in all 50 states, the speed limit also applies to the left lane. But so many people, though, DO actually speed in the left lane that, as I mentoned above, most cops usually allow at least a 10 MPH leeway or so before they hand out warnings or tickets.
Old 01-13-14, 01:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I would like to thank the member who posted this. This is something we could all use a reminder of....... Including me . Thanks again !!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Speed" ad reminds us the danger of speeding