Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hoovey Review: 2013 Lexus GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 07:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lexus would get so much more interest if they added a IS300h and GS300h Stateside. I don't understand their reasoning.
Not sure how americans would like 9s GS300h for $50k? It would probably sell 100 units per month.

They will likely do GS200t and IS200t though.
Old 01-13-14, 05:26 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nicely trimmed

Seriously the best part

Excellent Fit and Finish

Met up with CL member @Swtjlsy for lunch at In N Out

Old 01-13-14, 05:33 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Excellent review on a very interesting car. It is a shame it's so expensive and out of reach.
So I'm clear, this model comes with paddle shifters? Does the non hybrid and non-sport also come with paddles? I thought for the GS, paddles only came on sports.
Would love to see pics of the tested vehicle. The color combo you listed is my dream match. That light bamboo is hot.
thanks. Yeah all 4GS GS350 and GS450h have paddle shifters standard. Pictures up!

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
Great review, Hoovey. I always enjoy reading your posts. I sometimes think the Land Cruiser needs a little sister, either the IS or GS ...I went to the local dealer and found out a GS450h costs around $80k.....It was beautiful inside but not worth that amount of money. (We also get the F-sport version here )
Thank you sir. Jealous of your F-Sport. Does it have Bamboo or Aluminum trim?

Originally Posted by yowps3
Excellent review man! Very informative.

But if I had to say one thing it is that the 3GS exterior had a more 'futuristic' design to it and the interior had a little more 'luxury' feel and it had the blue LEDs everywhere.

Not sure why Lexus has decides to skimp on many Lexus signature touches with their new Spindle Grilled sedans..
Thanks, I agree the 3GS had a more futuristic profile. I have a feeling the 2015 model will get the full Spindle treatment

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great review! thank you.

name dropper. no seriously, great story, and fun task!!

hopefully they're nice in person.
I'm still not a balling as you bud

Nice, but a tad cynical which made for some fun conversation

Originally Posted by spwolf
Not sure how americans would like 9s GS300h for $50k? It would probably sell 100 units per month.

They will likely do GS200t and IS200t though.
I didn't realize it was that slow. That's too slow for a sedan of this caliber.

They def need a base model with 240ish hp
Old 01-13-14, 09:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

So your dealer tints windows on loaners?? Interesting.

I mentioned when this hybrid debuted, they really need to include exposed tailpipe tips on this model. It's decidedly more plain back there w/o them. Another area that needs improving are the choice of rims. Something a shade sportier with thicker spokes and more dead space would bring out more character and reduce some homeliness.

Thanks for the pics and VANS ftw!
Old 01-14-14, 12:33 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
So your dealer tints windows on loaners?? Interesting.

I mentioned when this hybrid debuted, they really need to include exposed tailpipe tips on this model. It's decidedly more plain back there w/o them. Another area that needs improving are the choice of rims. Something a shade sportier with thicker spokes and more dead space would bring out more character and reduce some homeliness.

Thanks for the pics and VANS ftw!
Not typically. I believe this 450h is from the lot. Probably sat for close to a year and to get some use out of it, turned it into a loaner.

Couldn't agree more on exposed tailpipe and different wheels. These are the same wheels found on the Luxury Package GS350.
Old 01-14-14, 04:59 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not offering GS450h in F-Sport in US baffles me. Its clearly a performance oriented hybrid and omission to obvious sports package is like "Whut?" But then again GS450h is the best car no one wants to buy, it truly is. If it was just $5K cheaper it would make a lot of sense.
Old 01-14-14, 05:02 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The 450h is very nice.
The only two knocks for me is the cost and the dull wood look.
Old 01-14-14, 05:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

F-Sport model has the look :-)
Old 01-14-14, 06:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not typically. I believe this 450h is from the lot. Probably sat for close to a year and to get some use out of it, turned it into a loaner.
wow, it sat for a year? why do you think it didn't sell?
Old 01-14-14, 11:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice review, Hoovey. Sorry if it took me a little while to respond to it.....I didn't see or read the thread till today. You obviously put some thought into it. Based on my own review of the new GS350 (which, of course, has a somewhat different powertrain) I have to agree with much of what you say....especially with the comments about the interior, which, I agree, is a definite upgrade from that in the somewhat disappointing new IS and ES.

Thankfully there is a spare tire even though it’s not a full size. BMW’s don’t have them because of runflats and Cadillac has a large open space with a can of fix-a-flat where a spare would be. So thank you Lexus .
I have to disagree somewhat here, though. The fact that Cadillac and BMW don't provide a real spare tire is not an excuse, in my book, for the GS not providing one either. IMO, that just compounds the error three ways instead of solving it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-14-14 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-14-14, 12:15 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUT

Personally:
I'd like to know the retard who decided to include those ***** wheels as part of the manufacturer wheel rim lineup for the 4th generation Lexus GS.
Old 01-14-14, 12:38 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven

Personally:
I'd like to know the retard who decided to include those ***** wheels as part of the manufacturer wheel rim lineup for the 4th generation Lexus GS.
They're a PITA to clean and detail too.
Old 01-14-14, 02:33 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the late reply. The GCC-Spec F-Sport comes with Aluminum trim.

I'm not a fan of the Aluminum trim. I hope Lexus adds different trim options in the near future

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 01-14-14 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-14-14, 06:14 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Vladi
Not offering GS450h in F-Sport in US baffles me. Its clearly a performance oriented hybrid and omission to obvious sports package is like "Whut?" But then again GS450h is the best car no one wants to buy, it truly is. If it was just $5K cheaper it would make a lot of sense.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The 450h is very nice.
The only two knocks for me is the cost and the dull wood look.
Agree with the first knock. I actually like the matte bamboo, but what do you think of the gloss bamboo in the ESh if you've seen it?

Originally Posted by spwolf
F-Sport model has the look :-)
Other than missing AVS, I guess I could always just buy the F-Sport bumper and add it after

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow, it sat for a year? why do you think it didn't sell?
Yeah, and from what I understand (from my managers) if a vehicle sits for a year the dealer has to buy it or take a loss (or something like that). But I'm certain the price is a major factor, but also the fact that Lexus marketing has cooled off for the GS (which they never pushed the hybrid anyway just the F-Sport). We had another which has been sitting for months as well. We just dealer traded it away.

We had a LFA for 6-months in the showroom. Management was happy it was sold before a full calendar year. Ironically our owner Rick Hendrick of Hendrick Automotive and Hendrick Motorsports bought it and had it shipped to Charlotte

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nice review, Hoovey. Sorry if it took me a little while to respond to it.....I didn't see or read the thread till today. You obviously put some thought into it. Based on my own review of the new GS350 (which, of course, has a somewhat different powertrain) I have to agree with much of what you say....especially with the comments about the interior, which, I agree, is a definite upgrade from that in the somewhat disappointing new IS and ES.

I have to disagree somewhat here, though. The fact that Cadillac and BMW don't provide a real spare tire is not an excuse, in my book, for the GS not providing one either. IMO, that just compounds the error three ways instead of solving it.
Thanks, I don't do many reviews (5 to date), but plan to do more of my own

I see your point. While the GS's donut perhaps could have been a full size, in the GS450h's case though, the room is a bit more compromised by the hybrid tech so I think its understandable that it's a donut and not a full size.

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Yeah the GS wheel line leaves me a little . Good news is wheels can be changed

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
Sorry for the late reply. The GCC-Spec F-Sport comes with Aluminum trim.

I'm not a fan of the Aluminum trim. I hope Lexus adds different trim options in the near future
Cool thanks for the info. Yeah I like this matte bamboo or even the Linear Espresso Wood for the luxury package.
Old 01-15-14, 05:42 PM
Hoovey689

Just turned the GSh back in . Service writer had to somewhat pry the fob from my grip

Let's see if I can wait 14 months

Quick Reply: Hoovey Review: 2013 Lexus GS450h