Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealership Employee Totals Customer's Camaro ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-14, 08:52 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership Employee Totals Customer's Camaro ZL1

Chevy Camaro ZL1 owner fights dealership that totaled his car

At 580 hp and a starting price of $55,000, the Chevy Camaro ZL1 ranks as the top dog of the Camaro lineup (at least until the Z/28 hits the track.) For Camaro enthusiasts like John Hooper, author of six books on the history of Camaros, it's a dream car — or at least was a dream car, until an employee at a Chevy dealership totaled his ZL1 on an unauthorized joyride. Nearly a month later, Hooper and the dealership have yet to agree on how much that particular top dog was worth.

Something about Camaros seems to bring out the dark side of the dealer service department; recall the man who hid a voice recorder in the door pocket of his Camaro SS and caught mechanics doing burn-outs. According to Hooper's posts on the Camaro5 forum, he had taken his 2012 Camaro ZL1 to First State Chevy in Georgetown, Del., for warranty work on a paint issue. On Dec. 15, a Sunday, one of the dealer's employees took the keys from the closed dealership and went for a spin — that ended when the ZL1 sheared off a telephone pole.

The next day, the dealership told Hooper about the incident, and by the end of that week, the car had been declared a total loss. Since then, Hooper and First State have been unable to reach an accord over how to replace the ZL1.

To First State's credit, it immediately fired the employee who took the car and tried to pursue charges against him — but local officials said since the car was in the dealership's legal possession at the time of the crash, no crime was committed. Hooper's ZL1 had about 10,000 miles on it, and while First State has offered other used ZL1s as replacements, Hooper has said those cars were not worth as much as his example was pre-crash.

Hooper told the Cape Gazette of Lewes, Del., today that while the dealership has given them a loaner to drive, they are still making payments on the ZL1 while it sits in a salvage yard. “We're losing sleep over this, time off from work, and this still isn't resolved,” Hooper told the paper. “This is so ethically and morally wrong it isn't funny.”
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...170136602.html
Old 01-10-14, 08:55 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

F'ng ridiculous, and totally why I watch my vehicles like a hawk when I take them in for service.

I'm curious as to why they haven't been able to come to an agreement yet. They obviously accepted the liability for the loss and are attempting to make it right by offering him another ZL1. If it doesn't have the same options and mileage, why not just allow him to locate a similar vehicle and pay for it? It's all going to be written off under the dealership's insurance anyway.
Old 01-10-14, 09:37 PM
Stormwind
Racer

but local officials said since the car was in the dealership's legal possession at the time of the crash, no crime was committed.
Well if you live in Georgetown take comfort in knowing that if you work at a dealership it's OK to steal their property and go for a joy ride, it's NOT a crime.
Old 01-10-14, 11:53 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cant believe some people in this world.
Old 01-11-14, 12:46 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Giving a bad rap to dealer employees . That is inexcusable for any employee to abuse another's property like that. The employee should be fired and the dealer should simply buy back the ZL1 and get another one of their liking. At the same time the dealer is now at fault for not owning up to the incident. Shady..
Old 01-11-14, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, a sorry incident, but it could (probably) have been very simply avoided, if the owner would have taken a couple of precautions, just stayed with the car, watched what the technician did, and/or kept his or her eyes on things as much as possible. Not many technicians/dealer-employees (even dumb ones like in this case) would have the guts or stupidity to do a classic burnout right in front of a customer's nose (and a lot of V8 Camaro/Mustang owners do enough burnouts themselves). And, even if the customer was not watching, who knows?....the dealership's GM or the employee's boss could be standing just a few feet away. The customer waiting room, of course, is there for the convienence of the service-customers (sometimes with perks like free Internet terminals), but no one is actually forced to use it.

Some dealerships (my old VW/Subaru shop would do this, and, to a lesser extent, the Chevy/Buick/GMC shop I now use), when the car pulls up for service, mark down, on a car-diagram, any dents, large scratches, cracked windows, etc.... BEFORE the car actually goes into the ssevice-bin. Any significant damage that was not on the car (or marked down when the customer pulled in), is, of course, the shop's responsibility....although that may (?) or may not include any weather/storm-related damage from being parked outside at the dealership.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-11-14 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-11-14, 11:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, a sorry incident, but it could (probably) have been very simply avoided, if the owner would have taken a couple of precautions, just stayed with the car, watched what the technician did, and/or kept his or her eyes on things as much as possible.
what are you talking about? i mean...................
Old 01-11-14, 11:41 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Hence my dash cam....
Old 01-11-14, 12:56 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Originally Posted by RXSF
Hence my dash cam....
What if the guy steals your dash cam after he steals your car?
Old 01-11-14, 01:44 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I read the Title, one thing comes to mind "The dealer is Screwed"

I would be glad if somebody total my brand new car from the dealer. Their insurance money will cover me for another new car that I need.

If not, I can always stir things up with an attorney, and get like hundred thousands dollar

lol!

Anyways, the picture is like it is Winking at you. That doesn't look anywhere even close to Totals.

It would be bad if they Crash it though IMHO, you will then have to deal with a lot of stuff to trade in, or to get a fair deal on another car. But with their insurance, and your pressing up their ***, they will have to go out of their way and cut you a big check

Sarcasm, but Those damage could easily be put on a Body-kit, together with a new Supercharge and big tune, then making 1000+ RWHP, more update to the suspensions....etc. On the dealer check.

Again, why don't dealer do that to my car ? LOL

The only thing everyone should be worried about is the things they can do to ruin your car, and you do not know. For example, puncture your radiator.....steal parts......whatever....nobody would expect it

Last edited by Whitigir; 01-11-14 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-11-14, 02:43 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Been following this for a couple days on the Camaro5 forums where the owner is laying it out. Feel bad for the dude, especially while the dealer is screwing him like this.
Old 01-11-14, 02:47 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lamar411
Been following this for a couple days on the Camaro5 forums where the owner is laying it out. Feel bad for the dude, especially while the dealer is screwing him like this.
Being lazy... Have a link to the thread?
Old 01-11-14, 04:14 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
What if the guy steals your dash cam after he steals your car?
Im just trying to catch people joy riding. My dash cam is small and Mercedes' rear view mirrors are huge and think. from the driver's seat, you can't see it.

And you better believe I review the footage after a service, body work, or valet
Old 01-11-14, 04:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, a sorry incident, but it could (probably) have been very simply avoided, if the owner would have taken a couple of precautions, just stayed with the car, watched what the technician did, and/or kept his or her eyes on things as much as possible.
So you think it's the owner's fault? Regardless, a dealer employee could drive the car away from the lot at slow speed, and THEN drive it like a bat out of hell and maybe crash it. Dealers drive customer cars all the time to test them and make sure they're fixed too.

Anyway, this dealer, like so many, seems intent on doing the wrong thing, and destroying any good will it may have created. that is, unless this customer has a completely unrealistic demand, I don't know.
Old 01-11-14, 08:23 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't get why the dealer isn't just cutting him check for whatever the consensus (KBB, NADA, etc) says its worth....

Quick Reply: Dealership Employee Totals Customer's Camaro ZL1