Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I feel like I cheated... I drove a Q5 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-14, 06:45 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I feel like I cheated... I drove a Q5 2.0T

and really liked it. Peppy and nimble. Just a short drive but I am actually considering changing.

I will be driving it again. I love my Lexus. Great ride, no issues at all. A cream Puff. BUt the thing is I sometimes get bored.

Anyone here cross research the Q5? I had all but tuned it out and then one day I was reading a review and got curious.

Darn, hate when that happens
Old 01-10-14, 06:59 PM
wase4711
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check their service and quality history over the last few years before you get to excited about them..
Old 01-10-14, 07:45 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

I do realize it is different than a Lexus for sure. But current research tells me they are better than before

But you are right, because I hate to ever have a car in for repair and I am totally spoiled by the Lexus. Granted, I have only 25K on it.
Old 01-10-14, 07:47 PM
RXinNJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We looked at the Q5 before buying the RX. Honestly I thought the 2.0 felt a little underpowered. I did not test the 3.2 (now a 3.0 I believe). Beautiful interior and great handling. I would be curious if people are actually getting the advertised MPG. For us it came down to the fact that we were buying with the plan of long-term ownership, and felt better about the Lexus in that regard.
Old 01-10-14, 09:03 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
and really liked it. Peppy and nimble. Just a short drive but I am actually considering changing.

I will be driving it again. I love my Lexus. Great ride, no issues at all. A cream Puff. BUt the thing is I sometimes get bored.

Anyone here cross research the Q5? I had all but tuned it out and then one day I was reading a review and got curious.

LEASE it.
If after the lease, you still feel the same, then BUY it.
WIN WIN.

But before you drive off the dealer..
Don't forget to try RANGE ROVER Evoque
Old 01-10-14, 09:20 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Audis are dope, but after a few years they turn into a pretty expensive Lego
Old 01-11-14, 06:23 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Try the RX F Sport too!
Old 01-11-14, 08:32 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXinNJ
We looked at the Q5 before buying the RX. Honestly I thought the 2.0 felt a little underpowered. I did not test the 3.2 (now a 3.0 I believe). Beautiful interior and great handling. I would be curious if people are actually getting the advertised MPG. For us it came down to the fact that we were buying with the plan of long-term ownership, and felt better about the Lexus in that regard.
I too did the same thing. I was digging the Audi 2.0T and even 3.2. They are very competitive pricing to the RX350.

The things were that I got onto the Audi forums, and all the Services, maintenance records. I gave it up, and went the RX350 route.

1/ Customer services, Lexus will replace Brand-new car for you, if your new car have any problem.

2/ Audi have problems with Carbon built up in their 2.0T model.

and there are way too many Horrible stories, as in where if you compare to Lexus

In the end Audi and BMW owners will always come out Butt Hurted as the result, Lexus owners are however faced with less Horror stories, and would always come out Satisfied.

So Lexus it was. Even though all the Gadgets, and Features are still lacking....but...I don't really care about those little things
Old 01-11-14, 09:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

You can always lease and come back to Lexus OP. Nothing wrong with variety
Old 01-11-14, 09:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wase4711
check their service and quality history over the last few years before you get to excited about them..
we've put about 25K on a 2010 A5 2.0T with zero issues....(but it does have an extended warranty).

Carbon buildup generaly only affects the 3.2FSI and 4.2FSI engines...and Audi is aware of the issue and has tweaked the ECM to help/prevent this issue.

Last edited by bagwell; 01-11-14 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-11-14, 09:53 AM
ngerstman
Rookie

Originally Posted by CapeDave

I drove one three years ago when I was looking to upgrade my wife from her 2005 rx330. I loved the way it drove and handled. It was the 3.2 engine. It was the top of the line model and had the great B&O sound system. It was tempting. But I am a very value and practical type of buyer. I couldn't get over the price versus value. The cute yutes in the luxury category are just terrible value. The q5 is just plain small. Not much room anywhere. Terrible storage in the cargo area relative to the rx. For what you pay there is not much utility at all. I personally don't quite get that segment. I ended up buying an MDX for my wife. She loves it and I think it is the best value crossover on the planet. It is a little large, especially wide. The new one is actually smaller which is good, 2 inches narrower and much nicer inside. I just bought a 2011 CPO rx on trade from my 2005 rx. The 2011 mdx has a much better suspension and handles better than the rx, but gets horrible gas mileage. The new ones are much better in that regard. I also still don't quite trust Audi reliability. I think I had seen something about the 2.0 engine and burning oil. There is no perfect vehicle in this segment but I think the rx and mdx are still the best overall products. Good luck. Regards. Ned.
Old 01-11-14, 09:53 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I've driven my GF's mom's Q5 a few times. I like that 2.0L. Nice sized SUV too. Not too big or too small.
Old 01-11-14, 10:37 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Now that the facelift Q5 has a MUCH better ride (with the exception of the SQ5) I'm really attracted to them. They're my favorite in the class.
Old 01-11-14, 11:03 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You can always lease and come back to Lexus OP. Nothing wrong with variety
absolutely... if you like it, buy it.
Old 01-11-14, 01:15 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Thanks for all the input! I agree, lease is good. Sometimes I just need to change things up. And at almost 62, one realizes that life really IS short weather was bad today, but dealer is open tomorrow and I will be there!

Second test drive with a friend to get their input and hopefully get it on a faster road than the first drive.

I have worked through any possible issues and since I am always lucky, I feel good. Everything is a risk. But I think with the model I want is a very solid vehicle.

I am glad I was moved to this part of the forum as I can see there are many like me who like to explore different vehicles.

Quick Reply: I feel like I cheated... I drove a Q5 2.0T