Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Burned by Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 06:40 AM
ebt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burned by Dealership?

Took my RX300 to the dealership that has always serviced it for an oil change, told it also needed new brakes......so, okay....bill was $800.00....ouch. When VSC and check engine light came back on took it to my regular mechanic. Are rear brakes that expensive ?
Old 01-05-14, 07:30 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look at your itemized list of things they've done, they probably re surfaced or gotten you new rotors.

I took my car in for a rear brake change as well, I brought the brake pads. They wanted to charge me $110 and even though that is a rip off I said fine.

They then told me my caliper is seized and I will need new rotors, calipers, and the whole nine yards. How much will I pay? $1200. The service rep took me out to the garage and had a tech grab onto my caliper, while everything is bolted to the car with the brake pad still in, shook it and then said 'see? its siezed'

I told them to give me my car back in pure disbelief the scamming that was going on in front of my eyes.

A friend and I then changed both brake pads in a parking lot after dinner in 15 mins. Caliper was not seized.

That was 2 months ago, I am still on the phone with Lexus corporate asking the dealership to call me and apologize for the outright lies and treating me like a moron. The dealership promised to call me, but still has not done so.

The dealership was Lexus of Bridgewater in New Jersey, please do not ever go to them. Worst bunch of liars, scammers, and unqualified bunch of individuals under one roof.
Old 01-05-14, 09:35 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Even with pads and resurfacing thats expensive. Pads rotors and oil change that would be too cheap plus labor?

Anytime u go to a dealer u should also look at the itemized list. Almost everytime i've taken my cars to any dealer... They link stuff up around the work that may or may not need done. Sometimes im okay with it after reviewing the paper prior to signing and other times i have them take stuff off:

Tire rotation they prob added since they r there anyways. I take that off cause its free at Americas tire
Sometimes if i go in for a quik oil change they try to get me for a air and cabin filter. There is about $80+ when u can get it on Sewell for $20 together. Blah blah blah

Anyways depending on the list it could be a rip off but when is it not at a dealer.

Edit: re read the original didnt realize it was just the rear... But still :-/

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 01-05-14 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-05-14, 10:30 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

ehhhh.. if it was for new rotors and pads. sounds about normal.

about $250 for 2 rotors
about $100 for new pads.
about $150 for brake bleeding
about $200 for labor.
.. $750 ish..
Old 01-05-14, 12:09 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Originally Posted by joedaddy1

about $250 for 2 rotors
about $100 for new pads.
about $200 for labor.
.. $750 ish..
Yep, sounds about right. I had a set done at the dealer for one of my old GS's and it was about that....

Not sure why the thread says burned? I know its a 10 year old RX, but Lexus parts, especially OEM parts and dealer labor is expensive but often done right.......

Jumped on tirerack, you prob could have picked up some non-oem pads and rotors for around $300, throw in $200 for labor (just a guess?) and you are at $500 for non-oem..........
Old 01-05-14, 12:54 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I do my own brakes for this reason. Taking your car to a dealer for brakes is asking to be ripped off.

Even regular mechanics can be untrustworthy. We took our truck in for indirection one year. Guy said the brakes were worn clear out all around. Pads, rotors, drums, etc. We didn't have time to do it at home, so we let him do it. When we took it in the next year for inspection, guess what he said needed to be replaced?

Needless to say, we took it elsewhere rather than using him again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 01-05-14, 03:21 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never take my car to the stealership for repairs. They always change higher than your average shop.
Old 01-05-14, 03:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I would never take my car to the stealership for repairs. They always change higher than your average shop.
On the other side of it you're paying for something that is essentially factory backed with the name so it's understandable why Dealership services are more expensive. Plus from Luxury makes you get extra perks that some non Luxury or Independents don't offer such as loaners, shuttle services, salons, wi-fi, food and drink spreads, etc... But yes I agree for what services they are performing an Independent makes more sense nowadays. Obviously theres bad ones, but with the power of social media, they can't afford to stay in business with shady buisness practices. Yelp and BBB freighten them
Old 01-05-14, 07:13 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

lexus dealerships have to pay for all the sodas and snack food!lexus service bays are the last place i would have my car at.
anything that i dont want to do i take it to a toyota dealer and get it done for a lot less then lexus dealer.
example was the timing belt and water pump at the lexus dealer wanted $1k to change it out with me supplying the parts.toyota was $650 and thats with the tensioner and bearings replaced too.06 ls430.

Last edited by jimbosr1; 01-05-14 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-05-14, 07:52 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Plus from Luxury makes you get extra perks that some non Luxury or Independents don't offer such as loaners, shuttle services, salons, wi-fi, food and drink spreads, etc... But yes I agree for what services they are performing an Independent makes more sense nowadays. Obviously theres bad ones, but with the power of social media, they can't afford to stay in business with shady buisness practices. Yelp and BBB freighten them
I guess I must be an odd person, but those additional services usually aren't anything I would get excited about. If we ever take a car in for service, we drop the thing off and drive one of our other beaters around. That's the beauty of owning beaters I guess, lots of spares.

Bad mechanics have a very easy time staying in business around here, but that may because I live in a rural town of about 3,500. Not a lot of competition, and there's still a large number of people that don't even USE the internet(and take pride in it).
Old 01-05-14, 08:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I guess I must be an odd person, but those additional services usually aren't anything I would get excited about. If we ever take a car in for service, we drop the thing off and drive one of our other beaters around. That's the beauty of owning beaters I guess, lots of spares.

Bad mechanics have a very easy time staying in business around here, but that may because I live in a rural town of about 3,500. Not a lot of competition, and there's still a large number of people that don't even USE the internet(and take pride in it).
guess you could say it differs by demographic
Old 01-05-14, 08:35 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joedaddy1

about $250 for 2 rotors
about $100 for new pads.
about $200 for labor.
.. $750 ish..
This is completely correct. Lexus OEM parts are expensive, but try those Germain for 10 years old vehicles and see.

Remember, Lexus last.........for years.

Try any performance vehicle like Genesis with Brembo brakes, and see how ridiculously fast they fade, and expensive to replace
Old 01-05-14, 09:25 PM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
This is completely correct. Lexus OEM parts are expensive, but try those Germain for 10 years old vehicles and see.

Remember, Lexus last.........for years.

Try any performance vehicle like Genesis with Brembo brakes, and see how ridiculously fast they fade, and expensive to replace
That is partially true, I drive a CLS63. Front rotors are alone are about $150 a pop how ever if you opt for the performance package which comes with 2 piece front rotors you'll be paying close to $2000.
Old 01-06-14, 02:33 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks

+1 I rather bring my own snacks and drinks and save $$$$$$$
Old 01-06-14, 04:10 AM
ebt
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks....

It's true, I think I was lolled into a stupor by the free food and comfy sofa's in the lounge. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Burned by Dealership?