Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which car would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-14, 01:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why is is350 f-sport not on the list?
Already has an IS want something different perhaps? Or those are all $60K cars and the IS350 F-Sport is $50K?
Old 01-04-14, 01:28 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
1. CLA45
2. S4

Since this is for fun, reliability is thrown out the window.
Well you can't have any fun in it if it does work lol
Old 01-04-14, 03:26 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RC-F... k bye
Old 01-04-14, 03:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
eh park it in the garage and rub it with a diaper

Old 01-04-14, 04:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
My choice - GS350 Fsport then 335i with Msport or the new C350(depends how it drives).
The GS is a bigger car and way more premium.

S4 - its due for a makeover/change of bodystyle in the next year

CLA45 - Car is FUGLY to me.
agreed... if 0-60 is more important than everything else, then one of the turbo cars as they are easy to mod.. but 350 is perfectly fine for me and it handles great plus it is one class above everything else.

S4 is old, C350 know nothing about yet (maybe above 335i if it is better drive) and CLA is just class below pimped out.
Old 01-04-14, 04:22 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want something just for fun get a GTR or Vette.
Old 01-04-14, 04:55 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. 2014 GS350 F-Sport
2. 2014 BMW335i
3. 2014 CLA 45 AMG,
4. 2015 AUDI S4
5. 2014 C350
Old 01-04-14, 06:10 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For maintenance and reliability, I would go GS350 first. For performance, fast and fun, I would go S4 then 335i. S4 interior and exterior is FAR ahead of the 335i
Old 01-04-14, 06:49 PM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun
1. 2014 GS350 F-Sport
2. 2014 BMW335i
3. 2014 CLA 45 AMG,
4. 2015 AUDI S4
5. 2014 C350
Exactly the order I would have put them in
Old 01-04-14, 07:22 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

The Audi or Benz first (and it's going to be a C400 with a turbocharged direct-injected V-6, and not an Inline-6 yet as far as I know.

The BMW 335i second tier.

CLA45 or GS350 F-sport third choices.
Old 01-04-14, 07:25 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'd go with the S4. The BMW 335i was once a superb car, but they have screwed it up with the electric steering.
Agreed. Just got a call from my BMW CA today about what we're going to do with my E93 335i since it's within 6 months of lease turn-in now. She mentioned the 4-series and the convertible would be out by then. Just not interested. Why pay MORE money for a car that drives much poorer? Sad. So we're either going to flip my E93 to a CPO, or turn it in and I'll go back to driving the old 2002 Highlander and maybe keep my eyes peeled on the used market for a little something or other (buddy of mine just picked up an E60 M5 which is beautiful!!! )
Old 01-04-14, 07:38 PM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
2014 CLA45 AMG and then 335i.
Thanks bro! I was attracted by the 45 AMG at first too, but it seems like a small car or is it just me? and I would like to know why you choose 45 over 335i?

Originally Posted by "that boy"
GS350 F-Sport
I'm a big fan of the GS350 F sport too. But the thing is that I want a fast car! that would satisfy me without doing much of engine mods or even none, on the freeways and roads, sometimes tight corners like mountain run and so. I know this car has the best looking of all those cars. Do you think is this car really gonna satisfy me?

Originally Posted by lamar411
CLA, S4, 335i would be how i order them.
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
S4, C350, GS350, 335i, CLA45 in that order for me
Thanks guys! I did watched a review on the S4 it looks amazing for driver but for passengers there seems like not much of a leg room in the back seats, it's even smaller than our ISs, when I see it it make me think twice. Because I wanted me and my passenger sits pretty in a fast car lol. so is it worth it to be a good car for family and my self in long term?

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
335i; I think it's a good platform to start with and has ample aftermarket support. I would like to say CLA, but having
spent time in my wife's mom's CLA (non AMG), the materials are just OK and 26 PSI of boost on that little 2.0 liter doesn't appeal to me...

Not enough performance options for the GS IMO though you might be able to argue it is the best option in stock form.
Thanks bro! I really appreciate your opinions and for the material of the CLA, it sounded bad as it is. I owned an IS and the material inside is really good and not cheap looking so next car purchase I would like to get something even better. So CLA would less likely to be my next purchase, from it's engine and the material inside. As of GS the look is good and yea there arnt much of performance-wise parts for it. Just as a optional car if all of those dont work out.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
My choice - GS350 Fsport then 335i with Msport or the new C350(depends how it drives).
The GS is a bigger car and way more premium.

S4 - its due for a makeover/change of bodystyle in the next year

CLA45 - Car is FUGLY to me.
Thanks bro! I wonder have you try out the new 335i yet? The GS350 F sport is definitely a great car but it just kinda slow at 0-60 for 306 HP car. And I feel like the 335i has a better potential in the future to be faster since it has twin turbo. Which would be a good car for daily driver and go fast in some roads even tight corners. I want a great sport car that makes me smile and passengers sits comfortable on daily usage.
Would look forward for the S4 too! can't wait for it's makeover.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'd go with the S4. The BMW 335i was once a superb car, but they have screwed it up with the electric steering. The CLA, IMO, is not impressive as a sport sedan (generally an ordainary FWD compact), and is not well executed. The extra power in the AMG45 version is likely to cause a lot of torque steer, unless Mercedes does an AWD verson of it. The new GS is still a nice car, but, IMO, not built quite as well as the previous version. And the C-class has had reliability problems. The Audi, IMO, is the best choice of this specific bunch, has excellent fit/finish, nice interior materials, and comes with an excellent AWD system. You might not like its dash-video MMI system, though, which can be quite complex.

An aside note......don't be surprised if you have relatively steep insurance premiums with any of these cars, for several reasons.
Thanks a lot bro for taking times on this! I would def look into the S4 in person to see if the rear seats is really that small in the review I watched yesterday. I was gonna plan on getting that, because as you said it's AWD, has quat exhaust, nice finish inside out and so. But just from the video makes me think twice. I owned an IS and the rear seats just got complains from my family and my girl's family just because of the shortness of the rear. Do you think is that video reliable?
LOL yea insurance nowadays with those car just insane... I would def save up money for that too! Thanks.

Originally Posted by LexFather
Elaborate on "fun" and I can make my recommendation
OK, as of fun. I would like to get a great sport car that looks good forever, just like my IS ( ), fast enough to satisfy me in tight cornering and accelerating, reliable would be nice too but since I got the best on reliability company (Lexus) already, I won't be surprising when it has a little more problems than my IS. Sits comfortable for both driver and passenger for daily driving and fun at mountain runs, which I would like to be going with that new car. And I could have options to mod it even better and faster in the future when I have mod bug growing in the future, not crazing modding like engine swapping those kind of thing. I just want some upgrades and still have good amount of "OEM" looks if possible. Lastly I would be using this car for really long time. I know I have my IS and I shouldn't be worry about daily driving but it won't be as available as it used to be to drive since my family would sometime need it. Thanks bro!!

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yup. And we don't have any info on the 2015 C350 (C400?) so saying it has reliability issues is a nonstarter.

My order: S4, C350, 335i, GS350, CLA45. The CLA45 is likely the most hardcore out of the group but it's probably too one-dimensional compared to the others.
Thanks bro! Do you think S4 has a good amount of aftermarket parts then others? I think I would have to get rid of CLA in this list, I totally agree with your statement on it's being too one-dimensional.

Last edited by JasonChang; 01-04-14 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-04-14, 07:42 PM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rkyat
335I / S4.

One word.. Manual! Lol
HAHA! that's a must on Manual! My IS is auto so~ lol
It's really hard decision for me between these two. One has pretty short rear leg room and the other needs more exterior work like exhaust. Thanks btw! apprecitated man!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why is is350 f-sport not on the list?
Because I already owned an IS and I want something different~ The gauge cluster of the LFA is really attracted me when it first came out! But then performance wise it losed 335i and even the Cadillac CVT or CTV I forgot.

I would pick the GS350. The SO has a few BMWs and they all had electrical issues that cost an arm and a leg to
repair. After that, no more German cars for us.
LOL straight forward and I do agree on electrical issues. But I just want something different since life is too short to get a boring car. Not saying GS350 is boring, I like it alot. Just not as sport car as I think. If none of them work out I would get GS350 F sport for sure!

Originally Posted by edgeucated
1. CLA45
2. S4

Since this is for fun, reliability is thrown out the window.
True! But I think I don't want a new car with bunch of problems lol, a little bit more problem than my IS is the best. Is S4 is the type? Both fun and reliable?

Already has an IS want something different perhaps? Or those are all $60K cars and the IS350 F-Sport is $50K?
Yea, that's why!! hehe

LOL

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
RC-F... k bye
I do want that but it's two door..... If my girl, which gonna be my wife, would accept two door car for me. I would straight up goes to 435i or S5 with no thoughts.

eh park it in the garage and rub it with a diaper

HAHA! mbn! so little maintenance!

Originally Posted by spwolf
agreed... if 0-60 is more important than everything else, then one of the turbo cars as they are easy to mod.. but 350 is perfectly fine for me and it handles great plus it is one class above everything else.

S4 is old, C350 know nothing about yet (maybe above 335i if it is better drive) and CLA is just class below pimped out.
Are you saying the 335i or the C350? I bolded the words. Yea stock turbo cars are easy to mods to make it faster. That's why I pick 335i and C350 and S4. Just can't decide which will be good for my own time fun driving on cornering and daily driving with family that they will feel comfortable. I'm also looking forward to see the S4 makeover too!

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
If you want something just for fun get a GTR or Vette.
I do wish I'm that Baller to get those cars... lol too bad I'm not!

Originally Posted by nabbun
1. 2014 GS350 F-Sport
2. 2014 BMW335i
3. 2014 CLA 45 AMG,
4. 2015 AUDI S4
5. 2014 C350
I appreciate the list bro! GS350 is nicer than every cars on the list, but it's the slowest of all of them. If 335i don't work on me, and C350. I would go with GS350 F sport. Do you think is there anyone that modified the GS350 engine that is not a crazy mod and can beat cars on the road like G37 and so? Thanks!

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
For maintenance and reliability, I would go GS350 first. For performance, fast and fun, I would go S4 then 335i. S4 interior and exterior is FAR ahead of the 335i
Yea bro! as of stock version S4 really is nice, just the freaking leg room is making me think twice and twice! Have you try it before? Is the leg room in the back that small? or is it just the review guy is too tall lol. I got enough complains on my IS's rear seats and I want something a little bigger than that. let me post a video of the Audi S4 rear seats.

HERE is the Audi S4 rear seats of think twice design. Jump to 5:20 for the short cut.
Old 01-04-14, 07:51 PM
JasonChang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by robloc93
Exactly the order I would have put them in
Thank bro! I would def consider it! haha!

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
The Audi or Benz first (and it's going to be a C400 with a turbocharged direct-injected V-6, and not an Inline-6 yet as far as I know.

The BMW 335i second tier.

CLA45 or GS350 F-sport third choices.
Hmm, by the sound of the C400 it sounds really nice. I'm looking forward to the Detroit auto show this month. Hopefully it would have some good stuffs to beat with these other cars. BUT! I'm really not liking the rear tho... I would the sport package would make it better!

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Agreed. Just got a call from my BMW CA today about what we're going to do with my E93 335i since it's within 6 months of lease turn-in now. She mentioned the 4-series and the convertible would be out by then. Just not interested. Why pay MORE money for a car that drives much poorer? Sad. So we're either going to flip my E93 to a CPO, or turn it in and I'll go back to driving the old 2002 Highlander and maybe keep my eyes peeled on the used market for a little something or other (buddy of mine just picked up an E60 M5 which is beautiful!!! )
Really? Is BMW that worthless to buy as a car to drive? Or is it just a car that is fun to drive but need works done on the way with it? Damn nice! congrats! I wonder how did he made up his mind to get a used fast car? is it CPO? or is it from a local car seller? I don't really wanna concern about those type of used car because who know how they been abused? Is it worth the money? or it depends on the condition? And second question what is so turned down on the performance by making the 335i electrical steering? Thanks!!
Old 01-04-14, 11:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JasonChang

OK, as of fun. I would like to get a great sport car that looks good forever, just like my IS ( ), fast enough to satisfy me in tight cornering and accelerating, reliable would be nice too but since I got the best on reliability company (Lexus) already, I won't be surprising when it has a little more problems than my IS. Sits comfortable for both driver and passenger for daily driving and fun at mountain runs, which I would like to be going with that new car. And I could have options to mod it even better and faster in the future when I have mod bug growing in the future, not crazing modding like engine swapping those kind of thing. I just want some upgrades and still have good amount of "OEM" looks if possible. Lastly I would be using this car for really long time. I know I have my IS and I shouldn't be worry about daily driving but it won't be as available as it used to be to drive since my family would sometime need it. Thanks bro!!

:
Okay then my list

1. CLA 45…
2. S4
3. GS 350
4. 335
5. C350 (no idea how it drives)

AMG wins here……reviews for the car have been splendid….

Quick Reply: Which car would you choose?