Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How is Lexus doing?

Old 01-04-14, 10:57 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
"AWD is a failure in the luxury market, because only Audi offers a sedan (the A7/A8) available exclusively with AWD. All others have two-wheel-drive variants because nobody wants AWD."
Failure or not AWD is being pushed especially by MBZ. The upcoming C300 and C400 are initially offered in 4Matic Stateside with RWD being available at a later date. Many AMG's are now looking at standard 4Matic too.
Old 01-04-14, 11:47 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Failure or not AWD is being pushed especially by MBZ. The upcoming C300 and C400 are initially offered in 4Matic Stateside with RWD being available at a later date. Many AMG's are now looking at standard 4Matic too.
geko29 was making a facetious argument to point out bad logic.
Old 01-04-14, 12:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

awd is awesome as long as it doesn't rob too much fuel efficiency. rwd burnouts are not for the grey poupon crowd.

lexus though still hasn't figured out how to package it on sedans so that the front end isn't jacked up. but it doesn't seem to be affecting sales as in the NE u.s. at least most GS stocked and sold are awd apparently.
Old 01-04-14, 12:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gengar
geko29 was making a facetious argument to point out bad logic.
Amen!!!

To make matters worse, rmm Gs, who had no idea the Germans sold hybrids, attacks the CT when the car has been an amazing success. It's the first successful selling luxury hatch here as BMW and audi failed with their hatches and te CT helped sales explode in Europe and Japan.

These types of threads simply attract people that dont like Lexus and post illogical comments and fallacies based on pre-determined thoughts on the failure of Lexus. What does the A7 have to do with it as so what if someone doesn't like the looks, they are entitled to their opinion. Do we need a picture of the A7 which proves nothing.

Geko29 hit the nail on the head as 4-5 others here.

For anyone to conclude Lexus fails at hybrids or Lexus "went so wrong" is beyond ridiculous. Makes for a good laugh though.

Old 01-04-14, 12:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
awd is awesome as long as it doesn't rob too much fuel efficiency. rwd burnouts are not for the grey poupon crowd.

lexus though still hasn't figured out how to package it on sedans so that the front end isn't jacked up. but it doesn't seem to be affecting sales as in the NE u.s. at least most GS stocked and sold are awd apparently.
it has nothing to do with packaging at all... they do it because they assume people buying AWD need AWD due to snow and winter. It gives larger ground clearance and it is easier to install chains.

If you really need AWD, it is good, otherwise it is not fun... RWD is much nicer. Overall, AWD cars, even luxury ones, dont sell that well... they sell good on Audi as they are mostly FWD based so it is either FWD or AWD.
Old 01-04-14, 12:49 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Amen!!!

To make matters worse, rmm Gs, who had no idea the Germans sold hybrids, attacks the CT when the car has been an amazing success. It's the first successful selling luxury hatch here as BMW and audi failed with their hatches and te CT helped sales explode in Europe and Japan.

These types of threads simply attract people that dont like Lexus and post illogical comments and fallacies based on pre-determined thoughts on the failure of Lexus. What does the A7 have to do with it as so what if someone doesn't like the looks, they are entitled to their opinion. Do we need a picture of the A7 which proves nothing.

Geko29 hit the nail on the head as 4-5 others here.

For anyone to conclude Lexus fails at hybrids or Lexus "went so wrong" is beyond ridiculous. Makes for a good laugh though.
LOL i think i know just a lil more about cars than u and im definitely more open minded.

I knew Germans sell hybrids so does everyone else nowadays. There is no standalone model that is offered my any German company thats only was engineered to be a hybrid from the start.

If as u claim - hybrids were such a big hit- there would be much more focus placed on developing those cars.
Instead the Getmans have focused on bringing over Diesel powarplants as the answer for fuel efficiency.

The reason there are only Lexus hybrids in Europe is because Lexus doesnt offer any type of petrol engines.
Im sure if a diesel was offered it would far outsell the hybrid like the gas engines do here in the US.
Old 01-04-14, 01:05 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just hope Lexus builts more sports cars and coupes
Old 01-04-14, 01:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
LOL i think i know just a lil more about cars than u and im definitely more open minded.

The reason there are only Lexus hybrids in Europe is because Lexus doesnt offer any type of petrol engines.
Im sure if a diesel was offered it would far outsell the hybrid like the gas engines do here in the US.
Toyota/Lexus offer hybrids because they are leader in Hybrid technology.

Toyota will sell over 1.5m hybrids in 2014 alone... next year they will probably sell more hybrids than BMW/Audi/MB cars total :-).

Only problem with well done hybrid powertrain is cost... otherwise, it is technologically on another level compared to simpler petrol/diesel engines. With 300h, cost is reasonable... with 450h/600h cost is simply too high to sell well in the USA.
Old 01-04-14, 01:41 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I believe 75% of hybrids sold in the US actually comes from Toyota.
Old 01-04-14, 02:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

I knew Germans sell hybrids so does everyone else nowadays. There is no standalone model that is offered my any German company thats only was engineered to be a hybrid from the start.

If as u claim - hybrids were such a big hit- there would be much more focus placed on developing those cars.
Instead the Getmans have focused on bringing over Diesel powarplants as the answer for fuel efficiency.

The entire thread told you how you are 100% wrong. Continue to share your great knowledge.

Old 01-04-14, 03:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I believe 75% of hybrids sold in the US actually comes from Toyota.
I'd venture a guess that Ford is the second largest Hybrid seller after Toyota
Old 01-04-14, 03:37 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One thing that is helping both the MKZ and Fusion hybrids is their relatively low base price compared to the gas-engine versions. Lexus, IMO, would be wise to consider a similiar pricing structure for their hybrids. The traditonal arguement argument against that (and there may be some justification for it) is that hybrids cost more to produce, with a substantially more complex powertrain. But, as I see it, if Ford and Lincoln can still make money by keeping hybrid prices down, other companies should generally be able to follow suit.
Lincoln and Ford have the same MSRP for the hybrids but do not offer much for incentives and discounts for the hybrid versions.
Old 01-04-14, 04:15 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Three words- Toyota Is Hybrid.

Lexus increasing sales to a record level is not an indication of "where did lexus go so wrong". In 20 years, they have elevated themselves to Benz, BMW, Audi beaters. Companies who have had nearly a century of business. Thread should be closed as its just another uninformed opinion piece looking for hits imo.
Old 01-04-14, 04:25 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lolol, thanks for the laugh. i just saw one in town.
It reminds me of the Volkswagen CC
Old 01-04-14, 05:09 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding why Lexus doesn't make a competitor to niche vehicles like the A7, I remember a survey I took for Lexus. It was about the possibility of a new vehicle. I think they were gauging interest in several different body styles. One, in particular, stuck with me. It was during the time before the launch of the new GS when the LF-GH was still fresh in everyone's mind. The survey spoke about the possibility of a 5 seat sedan shaped very much like the Porsche Panamera. Then we saw glimpses of a LF-GH wagon versoin and some, like me, were excited but the ideas were shot down.

Lexus isn't run by a brash, crass spontaneous bunch. They are meticulous. Calculated. They know the risks for a young company are great. It's by this calculated risk approach that Lexus has grown to be what they are. Their failure rate is low. We can count on 1 hand how many products were flops. Lexus might have started strong and then wandered off line a bit in recent times. However, I really don't think Lexus has gone so wrong. They've finally gotten a stronger voice. Branching out and trying to be daring. Being bold. We're seeing F-Sport and F lineups that bring life into this brand. The spindle grille. Whether you like it or not, it's not here to stay forever. Ask the designer of the 3rd gen IS. When pressed about design and why take such a bold approach, he responded that styling is just styling. It can change. And the best thing is that it will change. But I like where Lexus is headed right now. For the most part. I feel like they have cheaped out here and there to save a few pennies but still, in the overall direction Lexus is headed? I'm liking what I see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How is Lexus doing?