Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How is Lexus doing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-14, 03:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Although it is a rather complex question, and an entire book can be written about it, there are two relatively simple answers. One, Lexus forgot who they were and what made them successful (primarily a builder of non-sport-oriented luxury cars) and tried to become a Japanese BMW. Two, the bean-counters in the organization got too much power, and we saw a decline in the quality of the materials used in many of the newer Lexus products. What the company needs to do is to return to its roots.
Lexus quality and sales have never been better so this makes little sense. If you don't like their sportier direction that's fine, clearly the market likes it.

Old 01-03-14, 03:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
Lexus isn't the only auto company that has undertaken a marketing shift.
Marketing shifts, though, despite what some auto executives convince themselves of, don't always make sense. History is full of auto companies that forgot their roots, their mission, the customers who were buying (and enjoying) their products, dumping them to try and reach out to so-called "New" markets. The results are often disastrous. Saab and Saturn are two good recent examples...so, to a slightly lesser extent, is Lincoln.

True, 10 years ago, Lexus would probably have laughed at the thought of actually plumbing engine roar into the cabin (GS) since cabin isolation was #1 on its list. .
And cabin isolation is what SOLD Lexus products.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-14 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-03-14, 04:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
IMO the thread title is misleading. It makes it sound like the division is going out of business.
Marketing errors don't necessarily mean that a company is going out of buisness. Lincoln is a good example of that, although they have lost a number of their former customers. BMW also (probably) made a mistake with the Chris Bangle redesigns of a decade ago....yet also remained firmly in the market. But, looking back, one sometimes has to ask himself or herself how much better it would have been if those mistakes had not been made in the first place?

Altough it's too early to tell for sure, I also think that, in the future, BMW's switch to all-electric power steering will probably be a major error. While providing only minor gains in MPG at best (and removing the chances of a power-steering fluid leak or contamination), it has, at the same time, robbed new BMWs of much of their traditional superb steering feel....a strong selling point.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-14 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-03-14, 04:14 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default .......

Sales numbers talk we will see what the latest generation will do. I am seeing tons of 3IS on the roads I am also seeing tons of RX's out there so something is working for Lexus.

I am not a big fan of the new Camry but it is still beating up every other brand in sales and that is the bottom line.

I think Lexus is on the right path.....if anything I remember how much I hated the big mouth grill on the Audi's when they started to go that direction, this has grown on me over the years and cant see how Audi will get out of that design in the near future.

Go Lexus!
Old 01-03-14, 04:36 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
L-Finesse was a great design direction. Unfortunately with it came cost cutting never seen before in previous Lexus’s. The 2006 GS300 and 2007 ES350 were prime offenders when it came to fit and finish, cabin materials and assembly. Compare to a 2005 GS300 or 2006 ES330 which while they weren’t the prettiest in terms of design, their material quality and assembly were bar none when compared to the competition. Thankfully this was corrected or rather addressed in 2010 when some poor plastics were taken care of and of course when new models like the CT and 4GS came out a renewed level of quality came back to play. In terms of technology they were always in the thick of it. Even though some of the navigation systems were primitive to today’s navi’s, they were ahead of the competiton.

I completely agree Lexus needs a four door coupe. I’ve petitioned for FS350, FS450h and FS-F

No surprise. The IS350 does not compete with the A7 which is more laden with tech and luxury. For what you pay I’d hope it’s quieter and more refined than our 2IS.

The sales success of the 2004-2009 RX and 2007+ ES, as well L-Finesse, more hybrids, DI 3.5 V6, LS600hL and 8-Speed auto helped push Lexus to the front. However 2010 was a dark age as mammoth recalls and the tsunami affected Lexus’s sales crown. L-Finesse quality (not design) caught up and bit them in the ****. Still you have to give credit that 4 years later Lexus is standing tall. That said the limited options (like choice of powertrains), packaging by region, little customization compared to the competition don’t do any justice for a Luxury badged automaker. While I do believe its important to add Sport into the mix as this is what society apparently wants now, I also believe its important to remember your core values and beginnings of what made your company so successful. I have no problem with aggressive, but Lexus needs to do it in a way that you still feel the Luxury aspect. VW and Audi may have a world domination mentality aimed at 2018 but Audi has a long way to go to catch Mercedes-Benz which is the undisputed king of both sales and Luxury at the moment.

I’ll agree to the effect that currently Lexus is making you choose Sport OR Luxury… no.. I want both. I want a vehicle that is elegant and refined yet can turn bonkers at a moment’s notice.

This is subjective so I won’t argue this. I happen to like certain Spindles but not others. I like the LS, RX and IS, but the half-arsed spindle on the GS (can’t wait till the full spindle refresh) and the one on the ES I can’t stand but that’s in part because of the gap between spindle and hood.

There is a forced induction future for Lexus soon. The TTV6 and TTV8 are supposed to have better power and efficiency than the competition. Let’s hope

With the exception of the GS anything below it.. well most know my opinion on some of the latest plastics..

N/A

RX is obviously a great seller, but it lacks many Luxury features in the States like panoramic sunroof, adjustable lift gate, rear seat climate controls that the competiton or even whats available on a fully loaded Nissan Pathfinder. The RX is a nice vehicle but is not as prestigious as it should be. BMW, MBZ and Audi have their own thing going on, Lexus, Cadillac and Jaguar are actually coming on with some intensity and Infiniti, Acura and Lincoln continue to search for an identity.
Yeah I agree with all your points.

One thing to take into consideration is that Lexus used to sell much more cars a few years ago in USA than what they do now.

Where as the Germans are all at records numbers now.

Lexus is probably having the same crisis that Mercedes had in the 90s and early 000s
But we will wait and see whether their new game plan will work or not.
Old 01-03-14, 04:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Marketing errors don't necessarily mean that a company is going out of buisness. Lincoln is a good example of that, although they have lost a number of their former customers. BMW also (probably) made a mistake with the Chris Bangle redesigns of a decade ago....yet also remained firmly in the market. But, looking back, one sometimes has to ask himself or herself how much better it would have been if those mistakes had not been made in the first place?

Altough it's too early to tell for sure, I also think that, in the future, BMW's switch to all-electric power steering will probably be a major error. While providing only minor gains in MPG at best (and removing the chances of a power-steering fluid leak or contamination), it has, at the same time, robbed new BMWs of much of their traditional superb steering feel....a strong selling point.
I was referring to just the thread title at first glance - Not the content.
Old 01-03-14, 05:24 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen A7s around, they're not that nice, I think a loaded GS450h is a nicer car overall.
Old 01-03-14, 05:30 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marketing errors don't necessarily mean that a company is going out of buisness...BMW also (probably) made a mistake with the Chris Bangle redesigns of a decade ago.... think that, in the future, BMW's switch to all-electric power steering will probably be a major error...it has, at the same time, robbed new BMWs of much of their traditional superb steering feel....a strong selling point.
Although widely criticized, the Bangle redesigns actually worked, from a sales number perspective. (Especially the bangleized 5 series) And I do agree that the switch to all electric steering was folly.
Old 01-03-14, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5gears-IS
Sales numbers talk we will see what the latest generation will do. I am seeing tons of 3IS on the roads I am also seeing tons of RX's out there so something is working for Lexus.
The RX, though, despite some styling and equipment changes/updates, is still basically the same vehicle, in concept and execution, as the original one was in the late 1990s. That's one of the reasons why it sells so well. Lexus clearly recognized who was buying that vehicle, and why. Except for a very slight stiffening of the underpinnings (and even that is not bad, as it uses nice-riding 60-series tires), the company has not tried to over-sport it. The sales figures show why.

The second/third genaration IS both sold better than the first-generation sedan and its Sport-Cross wagon variant (formerly owned a yellow 1Gen IS300 myself). The IS250AWD version does particularly well in the D.C. area (where I live), particularly with females....it seems to rival the VW Beetle in that regard. I see far more IS250AWDs than its RWD brother, even though winters here are usually not particularly severe. But I see very few IS350 or IS-F models here. What ones there are seem to be owned/driven by those who like the BMW 335i or M3 (and probably wanted one), but ended up settling for something with a little more reliability.....a weak point for a number of BMW products.
Old 01-03-14, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
Although widely criticized, the Bangle redesigns actually worked, from a sales number perspective. (Especially the bangleized 5 series)
True, some of the Bangle-Butt cars did sell, but a number of those buyers later had remorse. They either had problems with declining build-quality (something I myself noticed on the early Bangle-cars, even though I didn't own one), or they found the I-Drive a nightmare, even after trying, over time, to get used to it. Yes, some BMW owners did get used to the I-Drive, but you would be surprised at how many didn't (Audi is going through the same thing with its MMI, Ford with the MyTouch/SYNC, and Cadillac with the CUE).

And I do agree that the switch to all electric steering was folly.
BMW, IMO, wrote the book on how to do hydraulic power-steering. Nobody else even came close, except for Porsche and some older Mazdas. Electric steering is fine on a lot of vehicles, but once you have sampled BMW's traditional tactile-sensitive units on the road, there is just no other alternative , short of non-boosted straight- manual steering, which very few vehicles use anymore. I don't think you can find it even on the Mazda Miata anymore, which is arguably the world's purest-driving mass-produced sports car. Some Lotus products may (?) still have it, but they are produced and sell in very few numbers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-14 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-03-14, 05:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Yeah I agree with all your points.

One thing to take into consideration is that Lexus used to sell much more cars a few years ago in USA than what they do now.

Where as the Germans are all at records numbers now.

Lexus is probably having the same crisis that Mercedes had in the 90s and early 000s
But we will wait and see whether their new game plan will work or not.
More cars for sure, but despite the recalls and mother nature it's amazing how well they bounced back.

As for the Germans, you can thank their downmarket push with the CLA, A3, 1-Series and smaller engine choices like the 320i Stateside. Folks that just want the badge essentially.

Lexus has an heir of change going on the problem is that they're so darn slow to bring things to fruition. That said I hope that means every t is crossed and i is dotted. While 2014 will be a big year for Lexus with the NX, RC, GS-F and redesigned RX, personally I believe the 2016 LS (perhaps in 2015) will be the answer to questions we've all been asking. Back to the waiting game
Old 01-03-14, 05:57 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree with Mike's original post that Lexus forgot who they were. "The relentless pursuit of perfection" meant something to many of us. Lexus was the quietest, best riding cars you could buy. Now we see a cheapening of the interiors and a sportier side with a sacrifice in comfort. Strange, but about the time BMW changed to be more like Lexus, Lexus went after the old BMW image. Sure the magazine critics love the sportier Lexus, customers avoid the LS in huge numbers. Many of the so-called enthusiasts are young and only buy used cars. I don't like the sportier Lexus nor the crazy styling. My next new car will likely be something with a smooth ride and very quiet interior. Today, it looks like only the Koreans are listening, but a Mercedes S550 might work.
Steve
Old 01-03-14, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by yowps3

In the 1990s, Lexus (and, to a lesser extent, Infiniti), was the CAUSE of that famous M-B crisis. Unlike the 1980s, when Mercedes had the reputation of being (arguably) the best-built cars in the world, suddenly, after 1990, they found themselves in serious competition with the Japanese in both similiar (or better) quality and a generally lower price. Mercedes, for several economic reasons (including high-priced German labor and parts), simply couldn't compete, and both their vehicles and their reputation took a long downward spiral.
Old 01-03-14, 06:12 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
This conclusion makes no sense since Lexus sells more hybrids than all other luxury brands combined and all the other luxury brands rushed to make hybrids. The HS sold poor here but is a hit in Japan. Now we have Ferrari, Mclaren and Porsche hybrids.
Really - what luxury automakers rushed to make hybrids????

MB / Audi / BMW / Cadillac - please tell me a hybrid model they offer currently.
Luxury hybrids dont sell PERIOD.

We will see how BMW does with their new i brand of plug-in electrics - i have my doubts.

LaFerrari, 918Spyder and Mclaren are not hybrids in the true sense of using it for being fuel efficient. BTW they only cost $1MM+.
Old 01-03-14, 06:14 PM
LexFather

This is really not well thought out. If y'all don't like Lexus direction then there are other brands. It's not like Lexus didn't just have their best selling year in HISTORY. I could understand if Lexis sales dropped, the front end wasn't well received and quality dropped.

They have not. Here is a news flash some of us like/love the new direction. Those of you that don't, well that is fine but to say "Lexus lost their way" is preposterous.

You evolve or die. If Lexus continued to sell bland cushy cars they would be laughed out of the market.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
MB / Audi / BMW / Cadillac - please tell me a hybrid model they offer currently.

Really - what luxury automakers rushed to make hybrids????

lol

You could have looked up luxury hybrids sold before saying NONE are. lol

Audi Q5 hybrid
http://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-q5-hybrid

A8 hybrid
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

A3 hybrid
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...-benz/3668689/

Acura ILX hybrid
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

BMW Active 3 hybrid
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...Hybrid3RD.aspx

BMW Active 5 hybrid
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...Hybrid5RD.aspx

BMW Active 7 hybrid
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...Hybrid7RD.aspx

BMW X6 hybrid (discontinued)
http://green.autoblog.com/2011/09/27...rid-gets-axed/

Mercedes E400 hybrid
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...-E/model-E400H

S-class hybrid (previous gen had a hybrid too)
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/12/2...rankfurt-2013/

Porsche Panamera Hybrid
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/pa...ra-s-e-hybrid/

Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ca...enne-s-hybrid/

Infiniti M35 hybrid
http://www.infinitiusa.com/m/hybrid/

Range Rover hybrid
http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/lr/al...ybrid-release/

Cadlliac Escalade hybrid
http://www.cadillac.com/hybrid-technology.html

I'm sure I missed some. The luxury market has rushed to offer hybrids as they have seen the overall success of Lexus with their h cars. Lexus hybrid program has been very successful in the states and has been a big driver of growth in Europe and Japan. It might not be sexy but they were first, they lead with it and others have emulated.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-03-14 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: How is Lexus doing?