Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How is Lexus doing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 08:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Not every car is suitable for real performance version... I dont think RX is particularly... Hopefully they dont make 2015 RX much sportier (harsher/harder). It is best selling luxury SUV for a reason.

Q5 looks great, easily best looking SUV (and much better looking than RX), but its interior is nothing special, back is cramped (not much bigger than 2IS) and ride is harsh.

I would guess that NX would be something a lot more similar to Q5/X3 than 2015 RX. There is huge amount of growth possible in luxury SUV market for Lexus.
Actually for the RX I want it to get bigger and more luxurious. The NX has taken the spot the original RX once held. The RX needs to evolve and offer more plushness, power and prestige.
Old 01-05-14, 08:47 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I understand, I'm not a CVT fan either. Was merely pointing out that features that should be available on a vehicle such as the RX are not while they are on a less luxurious nameplate, not acceptable.

New baby and she felt the Pathfinder had better flexibility. Don't get me wrong, the RX is a nice vehicle with good standard features, but the competition is stiffer than ever, and the lack of options, powertrains, and some cheap plastics are unbefitting of a vehicle in this segment.
RX330 is more refined than the RX350 IMO. Softer and higher quality interior.

-Defiantly better sound and tyre roar insulation..
Old 01-05-14, 09:12 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by yowps3
RX330 is more refined than the RX350 IMO. Softer and higher quality interior.

-Defiantly better sound and tyre roar insulation..
In the States we had it the best of both worlds. The RX350 in 2RX body starting 2007-2009. Material quality was superb for it's price point. The the latest one's credit, the technology and wider stance make it more agile though than the 2RX which has more body roll. Agreed on the sound insolation, the 3RX has a more "booming" engine noise in the cabin.
Old 01-05-14, 09:34 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

In the States we had it the best of both worlds. The RX350 in 2RX body starting 2007-2009. Material quality was superb for it's price point. The the latest one's credit, the technology and wider stance make it more agile though than the 2RX which has more body roll. Agreed on the sound insolation, the 3RX has a more "booming" engine noise in the cabin.
I just wish Lexus could go back to the theme that made them the golden standard.

Or at least have F-sport and 'normal models'

Lexus doesn't seem to be able to pull 'sport luxury' like how the Germans manage.

-I hate to say this but looking at their current lineup there is nothing that I find compelling.
Old 01-05-14, 09:56 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Remember, though......change is what killed Saturn. They'd probably still be around today if the bozos at GM management hadn't forced them to leave what made them successful.
One must remember that change is constant. For Saturn it was change for the worst not change for the better that GM was ultimately responsible for...and now Saturn no longer exist today...
Old 01-05-14, 10:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or at least have F-sport and 'normal models'
I am confused. With CT, IS, GS, LS and RX you can choose from hybrid, "normal"/luxury and F sport models. Is that different from what you are asking for?

Old 01-05-14, 10:42 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I am confused. With CT, IS, GS, LS and RX you can choose from hybrid, "normal"/luxury and F sport models. Is that different from what you are asking for?

I think he means like some model lines being dedicated towards "luxury" and some towards "sport". Sorta like ES vs IS. Although if you look at the German competition, they don't offer that (although BMW is sort of heading that way with their weird GT variants on their sedans).

Personally, I don't have an issue with how Lexus is going; they're clearly trying to head in a certain direction, and separate themselves from their competition. Big steps like that won't always please everyone (and they've come out and mentioned that they know the new design direction will not make some of their traditional fanbase happy), but that was something that they clearly felt they had to move away from, design that was based already being as inoffensive to everyone as possible. My 2 current Lexus vehicles are both pre spindle, but when it comes time for a change, I don't think I'll have any issue with the current (and future) lineup to choose from (waiting for RC-F!).
Old 01-05-14, 10:46 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Actually for the RX I want it to get bigger and more luxurious. The NX has taken the spot the original RX once held. The RX needs to evolve and offer more plushness, power and prestige.
I wouldn't mind if the RX was a little more luxurious for the next gen, but I would be hesitant about making it bigger. I think it's already plenty big enough as an SUV (for every market outside of the US) and making it bigger would inevitably add more weight, especially if it were more luxurious.

I'm actually quite keen to see how the interior on the NX looks; I hope it's more Evoque, rather than X1/Q3 (in terms of material quality).

Audi here offers the SQ5 SUV with a 3.0L TDI V6 that does 0-100kmh in 5.1 seconds

So 0-60mph in about 4.8 seconds

And it cost less than the RX450h, looks way better, gets better MPG and absolutely smashes it in performance and handling.
SQ5 (no options) costs more than a RX450h (no options) in Australia. It has a lower rated MPG than the RX450h on paper (and in real life will be worse off if the majority of driving is done in metro areas as opposed to highway). The only thing it does is go faster. And yes, it's a different sized vehicle. Try the back seat in a SQ5. It's like people that were comparing a CLA to the IS, they're in different market size segments.

Last edited by Nights; 01-05-14 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Added second section
Old 01-05-14, 11:18 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

Im talking about the vehicles themselves. For example the new IS. The 'luxury' model has nothing luxury about it.

The new ES is a poor effort at 'luxury' as the interior is made from flimsy, rough dyed plastics.
Pretty bad ergonomics and illogical placement of buttons and cup holders.

My 2011 2IS is way more 'luxury' than the new ES350/ES300h
My car comes with real wood, nice switchgear, dampened cup holder and ash trays, no cheap plastic anywhere. And nice hefty and well padded door panels. And everything feels substantial like how LEXUS WAS INTENDED TO BE!

All which are lacking from the new IS, ES, GS & CT
Old 01-05-14, 11:24 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nights
I wouldn't mind if the RX was a little more luxurious for the next gen, but I would be hesitant about making it bigger. I think it's already plenty big enough as an SUV (for every market outside of the US) and making it bigger would inevitably add more weight, especially if it were more luxurious.

I'm actually quite keen to see how the interior on the NX looks; I hope it's more Evoque, rather than X1/Q3 (in terms of material quality).

SQ5 (no options) costs more than a RX450h (no options) in Australia. It has a lower rated MPG than the RX450h on paper (and in real life will be worse off if the majority of driving is done in metro areas as opposed to highway). The only thing it does is go faster. And yes, it's a different sized vehicle. Try the back seat in a SQ5. It's like people that were comparing a CLA to the IS, they're in different market size segments.
Yeah the difference between the Germans and Lexus Australia is that the Germans are willing to negotiate price.

Where as Lexus are stubborn. Hence why Lexus has fallen way behind the Germans in sales.

You can get a loaded SQ5 for circa 90k. Where as Lexus will not negotiate the price of the RX.

The local Lexus dealer here also doesn't let you test drive any of their cars. Where as the Audi next door allows you to test drive all their cars..
Old 01-06-14, 02:40 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Thats weird, I never heard of a Lexus dealer not letting people test drive a car.
Old 01-06-14, 03:20 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Nights

At the same time you don't want to much overlap, because then people will just pick the cheaper NX and RX sales would be severely affected
Old 01-06-14, 03:47 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Yeah the difference between the Germans and Lexus Australia is that the Germans are willing to negotiate price.

Where as Lexus are stubborn. Hence why Lexus has fallen way behind the Germans in sales.

You can get a loaded SQ5 for circa 90k. Where as Lexus will not negotiate the price of the RX.

The local Lexus dealer here also doesn't let you test drive any of their cars. Where as the Audi next door allows you to test drive all their cars..
Err, I'm not sure why you say that. The two Lexus dealers I've been to in Sydney both offered to let me take the car home for a day and drive it around, let alone the standard dealership test drive. One even wanted me to take a GS450h for the weekend to see if I wanted to upgrade from my IS the last time I had it in for service and I was wandering around the showroom.

And we got more than $10k off RRP of our RX450h when we bought it 3 years ago. We even got a bit of a discount on the IS which was surprising to me considering we bought it about a fortnight after it was released.

Your experience is really very different from what myself and my colleagues/friends have who own Lexus vehicles.

Last edited by Nights; 01-06-14 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-14, 03:51 PM
Nights
Pole Position

At the same time you don't want to much overlap, because then people will just pick the cheaper NX and RX sales would be severely affected
Yea that's true, although BMW and Audi haven't encountered the same issue with their X3/5 and Q3/5. There may be some slight overlap and sales cannibalisation, but some people are always going to want the bigger car. I don't mind a slight size increase, but definitely nothing near like a LX size. I think it's still preferable to get more potential buyers in the showroom, especially for a brand like Lexus in Australia and some other markets, where the population still generally defaults to the "German = premium" mentality.
Old 01-06-14, 04:48 PM
65lucille
Driver School Candidate

I think Lexus/Toyota got to focussed on gross sales, being top dog and lost their vision. I just replaced my Lex with and BMW 335I with the full electronic package. 22 MPG around town and really a nice car to drive. Full sports package etc. I am now looking to replace my wifes GX with an RX, BMW, Tesla X or Mercedes new releases. However I drove 2013 RX 350 full package and it is very much lacking. Backup camera had not visual assistance. No overhead views, limited help on blind spot etc. I am hoping the 2015 RX 350 based on the 2014 Harrier will have a much better package. Last Lexus has lost is design. The lines with the spindel grill is a love it or hate it. This approach limits your market.

Quick Reply: How is Lexus doing?