Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Car Resolutions….

Old 01-02-14, 06:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The youth that buys these cars like the CT, IS and older GS's mod their cars Mike. Similar to LexFather's project Lexus's.
OK.....I haven't seen many modified CTs in my area, but I'll take your word for it (modders in my area generally avoid hybrids, especially with expensive-nameplates like Lexus). Older Honda Civic and Acura Integra (and sometimes Honda Accord or Acura RSX) coupe/hatchbacks are generally the vehicles of choice. At one time, older Mitsubishi Eclipses (particularly turbos) were popular with modders, but their generally poor build quality and unreliability did not bode well for long vehicle life like with the Hondas.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-02-14 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-02-14, 09:28 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK.....I haven't seen many modified CTs in my area, but I'll take your word for it (modders in my area generally avoid hybrids, especially with expensive-nameplates like Lexus). Older Honda Civic and Acura Integra (and sometimes Honda Accord or Acura RSX) coupe/hatchbacks are generally the vehicles of choice. At one time, older Mitsubishi Eclipses (particularly turbos) were popular with modders, but their generally poor build quality and unreliability did not bode well for long vehicle life like with the Hondas.
Not to go completely off topic,

CL Moderator Matt_RN from SoCal has one of those modded CT's:

My area is notorious for modded Lexus and BMW in the Bay Area, but there is plenty of those older civics and integra's more specifically in the South Bay
Old 01-02-14, 10:32 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

IS-F: 2014 OEM CF rear spoiler. Also been meaning to paint my calipers for ages but haven't gotten to it. I also bought a silicone intake ages ago but for some reason I keep putting off installing it. ...Maybe this year? lol.

Venza: LED all the interior lights. Custom LED brake lights. ...I think that's all. (Not much modding on the soccermom car! haha...)
Old 01-03-14, 05:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

o-m-g at that ct interior.
Old 01-03-14, 05:58 AM
nikko2jzge
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get rid of at least one gas guzzler for a Honda Accord.
Old 01-03-14, 05:58 AM
DOC4LEX
Pole Position

Busy year for Lexus and heres why.

Lexus in 2014

The Facelift CT
Bringing the premium hybrid hatchback into line with the luxury Japanese car maker’s ‘L-Finesse’-styled line-up, the facelifted Lexus CT200h arrives locally in the first half of 2014 spruiking improved dynamics, comfort and driveability.

RC
Designed to challenge the likes of the Audi A5 coupe, BMW 4 Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class coupe, the Lexus RC coupe is scheduled to arrive on local shores in late 2014 following its fourth-quarter Japanese launch. An RC350 and RC300h are expected to introduce the new range

GS F
Planned to tackle Germany’s heaviest hitters, the BMW M5, Audi RS6 and Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG, the Lexus GS F is tipped to break cover in full production trim early in 2014. Set to be unveiled at either the Detroit auto show in January or at Geneva in March

NX
Powered by the premium Japanese car maker’s first-ever turbocharged engine, the production version of the Lexus LF-NX concept is slated to make its debut in 2014 before reaching showrooms the following year to rival the likes of the Audi Q5 and BMW X3
Old 01-03-14, 10:37 AM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

My Lexus is the way I wanted factory wheels and tinted windows. Prob tint the windows in the AC and put a spoiler on it that's it.
Old 01-03-14, 03:02 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Replace my '06 IS350.

Greetings.. CL noob here... I signed up a couple weeks ago to post in the IS-F forum..

-Mike
Old 01-03-14, 03:09 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Replace my '06 IS350.

Greetings.. CL noob here... I signed up a couple weeks ago to post in the IS-F forum..

-Mike
Welcome to CL!

What new vehicle(s) do you have your sights on?
Old 01-03-14, 03:36 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Welcome to CL!

What new vehicle(s) do you have your sights on?
Thanks..

I want something a bit exclusive with more power than I have now. Also, I like cars that are sort of "sleepers" to average people (not car enthusiasts). I'm getting too old & responsible to street race, but I still love surprising people that don't realize what they're dealing with. When I first got my IS350, there weren't a ton of cars in that price range with the same power. Now, it's common.

An IS-F is currently at the top of the list. However, there are a lot of cars for that price (or less) that interest me. I will probably keep the new ride for as long as I've had the IS (bought her new), so something known for reliability is important.

I'm also looking considering a C63 AMG, ATS-V, RS3, and CLA45 AMG.

-Mike
Old 01-03-14, 04:31 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Probably pick up something cheap and stick shift for my son, so he can stop driving my car so much.
Old 01-03-14, 04:37 PM
Hoovey689

Thanks..

I want something a bit exclusive with more power than I have now. Also, I like cars that are sort of "sleepers" to average people (not car enthusiasts). I'm getting too old & responsible to street race, but I still love surprising people that don't realize what they're dealing with. When I first got my IS350, there weren't a ton of cars in that price range with the same power. Now, it's common.

An IS-F is currently at the top of the list. However, there are a lot of cars for that price (or less) that interest me. I will probably keep the new ride for as long as I've had the IS (bought her new), so something known for reliability is important.

-Mike
We share the same thought. Personally waiting on GS-F information before I whittle down my list
Old 01-03-14, 04:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks..

I want something a bit exclusive with more power than I have now. Also, I like cars that are sort of "sleepers" to average people (not car enthusiasts).

An IS-F is currently at the top of the list.

-Mike
I also welcome you to CL as a new poster.

In that class of cars, if it is reliability you are looking for, yes, I agree...the IS-F is probably the least risky. Also keep in mind that you will probably pay a hefty insurance premium, especially with any kind of serious driving infraction. It's not just because those cars are powerful and fast (which, of course, they are), being risky in some sutuations......but also that if damaged, totalled, or stoled, they cost so much to repair or replace.

As an aside note, I'd think twice about the CLA. It is not like most other American-market M-B products. It's essentially an ordinary front-drive compact (and, IMO, not a terribly impressive one at that). Yes, the 45AMG version will have power, but all that power funneled through the front driveshafts could cause a good dose of torque-steer. I'd consider the AMG version only if Mercedes does an all-wheel-drive version of it.

I'm getting too old & responsible to street race,
It's good that you are more mature now, but street racing is dumb (and sometimes dangerous) at ANY age, young or old. You (apparantly) were fortunate enough to survive it, but, unfortunately, a lot of people don't. That Fast and Furious stuff is one thing on a movie screen....another thing altogether in real life.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-14 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-03-14, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
Probably pick up something cheap and stick shift for my son, so he can stop driving my car so much.
Can he drive a traditional three-pedal manual, or will you have to teach him Stick-Shift 101? Also, for a number of reasons (I'm not sure just where in IL you live), traditional manuals are usually not a good idea for dense urban/suburban traffic areas.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-03-14 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-03-14, 09:17 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nice, but who's it really for?
I just need it for winter, its hers the other three seasons

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Car Resolutions….