Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quick Spin: 2014 Lexus GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-13, 04:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Then Toyota must not have even the slightest clue of how to design a proper diesel powertrain. What's so bad with their diesel? Lots of lag? Improper gearing and/or shift-mapping? Powerband is too narrow? What? The BMW diesels are brilliant. Same weight, similar power specs, both 6-speed automatics, both full-time AWD systems. Our X5 flies and gets 28-30 mpg on highway trips if you drive properly.
Don't forget that the GX is designed as an offroad vehicle afterall, and for an offroad vehicle instant torque is key. When you're trying to crawl over a big rock, you want instant torque on tap of throttle - and a turbo engine is just not going to provide that, there is always some lag. And a diesel engine isn't making any torque or power until turbo kicks in.
Old 12-27-13, 05:31 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Don't forget that the GX is designed as an offroad vehicle afterall, and for an offroad vehicle instant torque is key. When you're trying to crawl over a big rock, you want instant torque on tap of throttle - and a turbo engine is just not going to provide that, there is always some lag. And a diesel engine isn't making any torque or power until turbo kicks in.
Understood, but I think with low-range gearing and proper technique it shouldn't be an issue. Toyota does offer these things in other markets with diesel engines, just not in the U.S. Jeep is offering diesel models also....

I parked my wife's X5 in a parking spot that was obstructed by a mound of snow that other people had avoided. When I was backing out it was going to take a bit of power, and I could feel it wanting to take off as the low-RPM turbocharger spooled up. But... application of some light power-on braking and that smoothed things out.
Old 12-27-13, 05:39 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Then Toyota must not have even the slightest clue of how to design a proper diesel powertrain. What's so bad with their diesel? Lots of lag? Improper gearing and/or shift-mapping? Powerband is too narrow? What? The BMW diesels are brilliant. Same weight, similar power specs, both 6-speed automatics, both full-time AWD systems. Our X5 flies and gets 28-30 mpg on highway trips if you drive properly.
well, it got pretty decent reviews in european press, compared to other diesels in same vehicles, for instance Q7.

V8 petrol is just better, a lot, in everything but mpg. You get instant response from the engine, it is really quiet, it is just very nice V8 engine.

X5 and Land Cruiser drive completely different though. I dont think you can compare the feel properly between the two.
Old 12-27-13, 08:16 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

I think you just don't like diesels.
Old 12-27-13, 09:15 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you just don't like diesels.
One could argue for and against diesels, and there are many legit arguments on both sides. But nobody seems to mention one reason why diesel in luxury cars, at least in the US, is a nuisance. You see, diesel pumps at most gas stations are just plain out filthy. I guess it might have to do with diesel fuel being "oily" and therefore it doesn't really evaporate - so often the pump handle is all greasy and often there is a puddle of diesel spilled by the pump. My work truck is a diesel ford, and I actually carry a pair of heavy duty gloves in it all the time, and I wear them whenever I have to fuel up. Otherwise, if you get diesel on your hands, that smell i hard to wash off, and I wouldn't want to get it on the steering wheel/interior parts.

Also, not every gas station has diesel. Most gas stations that carry diesel are in high traffic, filthy, industrial areas. You not gonna find it in posh neighborhoods where luxury owners usually reside.
Old 12-27-13, 09:53 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
My daughter's new GX.She just stopped by and I took a pic.
$652XX list.My son in law actually paid invoice.
I really like the new design.Looks great in white and much better in person than in pics.

Congratulations to your daughter and son-in-law. We got our GX in starfire pearl as well on December 1 and we love it!
Old 12-27-13, 10:27 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i like the new facelift, the price is reasonable for its class. but it's underpowered, 310hp from a V8 is pretty lame especially with the weight of this truck. my other gripe is the manual swing-out rear door, why does the 4runner has option of power lift gate and the GX does not?
Old 12-28-13, 09:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Trexus
Have to say I'm happy with the 2014 GX for the most part. I wouldn't put 20 in. wheels as stock. If others want to customize their own GX then that's fine but the 18 in. wheels work great. It's smooth and the 20 in. wheels will add weight to the GX.

Just took a trip to Vegas and the GX handled very well and was very comfortable. As for the gas mileage it's a big jump from the CT. I understand what the GX is all about and happy with what it offers...

I wouldn't say the GX is all alone in it's class. The Cadillac Escalade is a competitor to the GX. The Escalade has a 6.2L V8 engine with 403hp and 6 speed transmission.

http://autos.yahoo.com/cadillac/esca.../platinum-awd/

The Escalade is nice but I'd rather keep my GX 460...
Originally Posted by Joeb427
My daughter's new GX.She just stopped by and I took a pic.
$652XX list.My son in law actually paid invoice.
I really like the new design.Looks great in white and much better in person than in pics.

Nice pick ups!! Sales for the GX have risen so the changes have worked. It has its niche it has always met. I also much prefer the new spindle grill whereas the pre-facelift just was very inoffensive.

Old 12-28-13, 10:49 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Nice pick ups!! Sales for the GX have risen so the changes have worked. It has its niche it has always met. I also much prefer the new spindle grill whereas the pre-facelift just was very inoffensive.
Thanks! Agreed the spindle grill treatment and the LED headlights were improvements and adding a base model and pricing it at a lower price point has definitely increased sales.

Hopefully Lexus keeps the GX and adds the TX (3 row unibody SUV based off the LF-X) into the lineup. Infiniti has a 4 SUV lineup, EX, FX, JX and QX. BMW as well, X1, X3, X5, X6 and there have been talks of the X7...and Mercedes as well...G, GL, GLK and M Class...

Lexus with a wide variety of SUV's:

NX
RX
TX
GX
LX

Last edited by Trexus; 12-28-13 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-29-13, 02:44 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
One could argue for and against diesels, and there are many legit arguments on both sides. But nobody seems to mention one reason why diesel in luxury cars, at least in the US, is a nuisance. You see, diesel pumps at most gas stations are just plain out filthy. I guess it might have to do with diesel fuel being "oily" and therefore it doesn't really evaporate - so often the pump handle is all greasy and often there is a puddle of diesel spilled by the pump. My work truck is a diesel ford, and I actually carry a pair of heavy duty gloves in it all the time, and I wear them whenever I have to fuel up. Otherwise, if you get diesel on your hands, that smell i hard to wash off, and I wouldn't want to get it on the steering wheel/interior parts.

Also, not every gas station has diesel. Most gas stations that carry diesel are in high traffic, filthy, industrial areas. You not gonna find it in posh neighborhoods where luxury owners usually reside.
Has not been an issue for me here in the DC suburbs.
Old 12-29-13, 10:46 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

Definitely not a problem in metro Atlanta. Also, many places are now carrying a pump "condom" of sorts so you don't have touch dirty diesel nozzles with your own hand.