Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 10:24 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
I see this and think its worth the coin. It's amazing to see the C class and TLx debut the same time and Acura can say it's competing but there is no way. Thus new C class is amazing. The interior alone is worth the added cost.

As you stated not everyone wants a larger car. The C class offers what's the larger cars do in a smaller package.
The TLX tops out at $45k, is the C-class worth an additional $20k+? I doubt it.

2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread-x3dly7f.jpg
2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread-i8xllzd.jpg

I'd go maybe another $10k for the Merc, assuming it will have all the options the TLX has.

It's a trend I've noticed with Mercedes, build a car that's 10% better, charge 25% more for it.
Old 08-08-14, 11:24 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The TLX tops out at $45k, is the C-class worth an additional $20k+? I doubt it.

I'd go maybe another $10k for the Merc, assuming it will have all the options the TLX has.

It's a trend I've noticed with Mercedes, build a car that's 10% better, charge 25% more for it.
Of course it does!! The real question is, does the tlx justify 15k premium over the accord?

Once the tlx gets air suspension, tt V6, rwd, leather everything, pedigree, variety of powertrains etc... than you can make that argument but for now its just an accord with fancy headlights and a transmission out of a jeep..
Old 08-08-14, 12:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by doge
Once the tlx gets air suspension, tt V6, rwd, leather everything, pedigree, variety of powertrains etc... than you can make that argument but for now its just an accord with fancy headlights and a transmission out of a jeep..
Absolutely.

Again, you're talking like ALL C Classes will be $60k Mr. Burns. They won't be, a $60k C Class will be a loaded C400 car that will be well more car than something like a TLX with more features, more options. more power, etc.
Old 08-08-14, 01:28 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Honestly a loaded Accord + $35k to a C-class? Is a C-class worth two loaded Accords?
Old 08-08-14, 01:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Honestly a loaded Accord + $35k to a C-class? Is a C-class worth two loaded Accords?
seriously, you putting a comparison between luxury and non-luxury cars? you are trying to make sense of something where "sense" is not the priority.

i am sure a phantom is not 3 s class either
Old 08-08-14, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Like rominl said, thats a ridiculous comparison. Is a GS worth "two Accords"? It just doesn't work that way. Plus, you continue to ignore my point about $60k being an atypical totally loaded C Class. You keep insisting "the C Class costs $60k" and that statement is just not logical or factual.

If an Accord is whats right for you, then buy an Accord. Lots of people don't value the things about a luxury car that make them worth the additional money to those that do. I have a great friend who can afford any car, but he drives Honda Accords. He's had like 7 of them, to him a car is just transportation and thats fine. I don't understand why someone would spend $20,000 for a Rolex...but people who value what makes a Rolex better do all the time. Is a Rolex worth 20 Raymond Weil watches like I have? The comparison makes no sense.

They will sell plenty of C Classes I promise you, look how well the S Class is selling, and its the most expensive car in its class by a wide margin.
Old 08-15-14, 11:06 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

in case anyone is wondering, the 2015 is updated on mbusa.com
Old 08-15-14, 11:10 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take the new C Class over the TLX any day.
Old 08-15-14, 11:41 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You can put that to a lot of high end cars. Is one Audi R8 worth two Porsche Boxsters? Is a Phantom worth 3 7 series?
Old 08-15-14, 12:56 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Demos have started arriving at dealers. Interested to see how it looks in person.
Old 08-18-14, 12:05 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brabus presents new customization program for Mercedes C-Class

Click here to view more photos

Available for standard and Avantgarde specifications

Brabus has released a new tuning program for the current generation Mercedes-Benz C-Class.
Available for standard and Avantgarde specifications or models fitted with Exclusive package, the kit features "elegant" aerodynamic enhancements and "tailor-made alloy wheels" with diameters of up to 20 inches. The kit consists of a new front spoiler that minimizes negative lift on the front axle and improves handling at high speeds and a spoiler lip for the trunk lid. The front of the C-Class models with standard-spec or Avantgarde front bumper can be further upgraded with Brabus air intakes. A massive insert for the rear bumper is also available.

A new performance kit for the gasoline-powered C200 will be offered. The four-cylinder turbo engine of the vehicle generates an extra 41 PS (30 kW) and 30 Nm (22 lb-ft) more torque. The tuned sedan sprints from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 7.0 seconds and reaches a top speed of 242 km/h (150 mph). To retain the engine’s durability and longevity, this tuning kit is designed to only use the performance-enhancing mapping once all parameters such as engine coolant and oil temperatures are in the green.

Now in final stages of development, the PowerXtra D3 performance kit will boost the power of the C220 BlueTEC by 50 PS (36 kW), while the peak torque jumps to 450 Nm (332 lb-ft). The sprint time from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) is shortened to 7.1 seconds and the top speed is increased to 240 km/h (149 mph).
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11408187...m-for-mercedes
Old 08-23-14, 07:33 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Demos have started arriving at dealers. Interested to see how it looks in person.
Gotta bring back this thread because I saw one on the highway today (near the MB dealer in Plano so it was probably on a test drive). It was white and I thought at first it was an S Class from behind. It didn't get any worse as I passed it by. Now that I've seen it on the road, IMO it is a beautiful car. I've been totally satisfied with my '13 GS350 F Sport, but this car is making me think twice.
Old 08-23-14, 08:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Gotta bring back this thread because I saw one on the highway today (near the MB dealer in Plano so it was probably on a test drive). It was white and I thought at first it was an S Class from behind. It didn't get any worse as I passed it by. Now that I've seen it on the road, IMO it is a beautiful car. I've been totally satisfied with my '13 GS350 F Sport, but this car is making me think twice.
Variety is the spice of life
Old 08-23-14, 11:18 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Gotta bring back this thread because I saw one on the highway today (near the MB dealer in Plano so it was probably on a test drive). It was white and I thought at first it was an S Class from behind. It didn't get any worse as I passed it by. Now that I've seen it on the road, IMO it is a beautiful car. I've been totally satisfed with my '13 GS350 F Sport, but this car is making me think twice.
Don't worry too much about it. In six months, they will be all over the place, and the GS will still be exclusive. It's just the bait of the season vehicle. Happens often, and then another new one will come along. Enjoy what you have. It will cost less to keep.
Old 08-24-14, 02:10 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jwong77
You can put that to a lot of high end cars. Is one Audi R8 worth two Porsche Boxsters? Is a Phantom worth 3 7 series?
You're moving ever more into desirability territory, the C-class is nowhere near there, it still has to make sense from a practical perspective.

Originally Posted by doge
Of course it does!! The real question is, does the tlx justify 15k premium over the accord?

It's a flawed argument to say just because the Merc doesn't have a mainstream counterpart, it's a better car. This has been proven wrong so many times with German cars over the years. Standalone brands and standalone platforms do not automatically translate to better products actually worth their price tags.

Quick Reply: 2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread