Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-14, 08:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
$50k, $60k, whatever... there will still be $299 leases. most people rent luxury these days.
Yup, for sure!
Old 07-30-14, 09:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
$50k, $60k, whatever... there will still be $299 leases. most people rent luxury these days.
lol this post is a winner
Old 07-31-14, 08:31 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
Yes, a loaded IS and ES is 50K but we are talking about a "base" C400 at close to 50K. Loaded, it can easily reach past 60K. I think they might have priced it a bit too much, or they should not force the standard sport package on the 400
It doesn't compete against those. As I said above (and Doge apparently completely missed the point) it's priced identical to its competitors.
Old 07-31-14, 02:32 PM
LexFather

It seems to me that in the context of things here in America, Mercedes really completely upped the ante with the S-class and now the C-class. They also made their own knock-off in the CLA which is a hit and the original CLS spawned multiple copies.

I look at the specs and the options, features and the looks of this C-class inside and out and it seems head and shoulders more luxurious than anything in this class, BY FAR. I cannot think of anyone close and yes the price is up but heck a loaded IS 350 or Q50 is over 50k today and a 328/335 is 55/60k EASY and people buy/lease them.

Not sure how it will drive but in regards to luxury/features, this new C-class seems to have changed what we thought an "entry" level car could be. Not really worried about the IS, it leans far to the sport side but the ES will need to step it up with luxury.

Old 07-31-14, 02:45 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^I guess that's the thing: for Mercedes, C Class is no longer "entry level." They now have CLA, which is selling like the 5 O'Clock free crack give away, so they can afford to move it up. It will be interesting to see how that strategy plays out, and whether or not they bump up the next E Class a bit as well.
Old 07-31-14, 02:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^I guess that's the thing: for Mercedes, C Class is no longer "entry level." They now have CLA, which is selling like the 5 O'Clock free crack give away, so they can afford to move it up. It will be interesting to see how that strategy plays out, and whether or not they bump up the next E Class a bit as well.
I died at 5 o'clock crack giveaway

So I guess there is entry level class and entry level luxury? It still isn't a midsize. It does seem to really tip toe based on features and not size. Amazing.

Old 07-31-14, 04:59 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
It doesn't compete against those. As I said above (and Doge apparently completely missed the point) it's priced identical to its competitors.
Not sure what you mean by the C class does not compete with the IS...

It has always been a 3 series, IS, A4 competitor. Just because they make it a bit more luxurious and with better materials doesn't change the fact that the C class nameplate will always be synonymous with entry level luxury.
Old 07-31-14, 07:05 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
I died at 5 o'clock crack giveaway
Me too. Great analogy!
Old 08-01-14, 08:13 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
Not sure what you mean by the C class does not compete with the IS...

It has always been a 3 series, IS, A4 competitor. Just because they make it a bit more luxurious and with better materials doesn't change the fact that the C class nameplate will always be synonymous with entry level luxury.
Not the C class, the C400 specifically. The C400 outclasses the IS in just about every way.

The IS doesn't play in the 55k+ space, while Audi (S4), BMW (335i), and Mercedes (C400) do. Frankly, it's a hole in Lexus' lineup and loses buyers like myself, and it's surprising considering how heavy Lexus is pushing the F-sport brand.
Old 08-01-14, 08:20 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Not the C class, the C400 specifically. The C400 outclasses the IS in just about every way.

The IS doesn't play in the 55k+ space, while Audi (S4), BMW (335i), and Mercedes (C400) do. Frankly, it's a hole in Lexus' lineup and loses buyers like myself, and it's surprising considering how heavy Lexus is pushing the F-sport brand.
You're incorrect. You have to look at starting price for these cars. All the models you mentioned starts at similar price including IS. You can add all the options in 335i and it will be $65k. So 335i competes with E-class?
Old 08-01-14, 11:57 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Change is inevitable. Entry level cars like the C-Class, 3, IS are getting more expensive because new tech, features, lux, assembly, materials, inflation, models slotted below (ie CLA) etc..

I paid $41,500 for my IS350 new back in 2008. I don't expect to pay that again on an IS ever, as it's seemingly moved up the price bracket. 350/300t variants should easily venture into the 50's which is fine to me as long as it's nice to the touch
Old 08-01-14, 12:30 PM
LexFather

How about the entire segment, not just the IS. A loaded C400 with air, that interior, HUD etc has more luxury and features than anything in the class. Not just the IS.

They seem to have created a new kind of "tweener" here. One not based on size like the Japanese/Americans do but one based on a truly upscale, feature filled experience.

Old 08-01-14, 12:44 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Review

Class Warfare Lit Anew

Withering competition from vehicles like the Audi A4, BMW 3 Series and Cadillac ATS have forced Mercedes-Benz’s long-standing C-Class to fall behind.

FAST FACTS
  • Engine: 2.0L turbo four cylinder makes 241 hp and 273 lb-ft of torque in the C300. The C400 has a 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 with 329 hp and 354 lb-ft of torque.
  • Transmission: Seven-speed automatic only.
  • Fuel Economy: C400 4MATIC models get 22 MPG city and 29 highway or 24 MPG combined.
  • Pricing: The C300 starts at $39,325 or $49,515 for the C400 including delivery.

The compact sports sedan has a few gray hairs showing as fresher rivals from across the globe threaten to take its place. To help it remain relevant, Mercedes comprehensively reworked it for the 2015 model year, gaining fresh styling, class-leading features and exciting new powertrains.

By The Pound

Vehicles tend to get bigger with each successive generation; it’s almost like they’re human. Not ones to rest on their laurel-laced logo, the folks at Mercedes-Benz went ahead and made the 2015 C-Class slightly larger than its predecessor.

The car’s wheelbase has been stretched by three inches, overall length has grown by nearly four inches and the car is some 1.6 inches wider. The dividends from these incremental increases are mostly paid to rear-seat riders as the C’s back bench is noticeably more hospitable. Its trunk grows as well and can now swallow like a baleen whale, accommodating up to 17 cubic feet of goods.

Working against the odds, engineers were actually able to lighten the car despite its growth spurt. The weight reduction clocks in at up to 200 pounds, a figure they achieved by incorporating quite a bit of aluminum into the C-Class’ structure.

Powertrain Prowess

Ahead of the firewall, base C300s feature a newly invigorated 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine. With advanced features including direct fuel injection this refined powerplant puts out a class-competitive 241 horses with 273 lb-ft of torque.

This engine will get the job done for practically every C-Class customer but it’s merely an appetizer for the main course, which is found under the C400s hood. This model is propelled by a strapping 3.0-liter V6. Brandishing twin hair-dryers it cranks out 329 hp and a maximum of 354 lb-ft of twist.

Customers may have two engines to choose from but there’s only one transmission available in this 2015 model. It’s a familiar and pleasingly responsive seven-speed automatic that can be controlled via standard paddle shifters.

Giving snow-belt residents a leg up on old-man winter, C300s can also be had with the company’s 4Matic all-wheel-drive system. Helping justify the added expense, this traction-enhancing technology is standard in the C400 where it helps put the engine’s abundant torque to the ground.

Speaking of drivetrain technology the company’s adjustable Airmatic suspension system is also available. This class-exclusive and quite-appealing feature is available on both versions of the car and is reasonably priced at just $1,190.

Technicalities

Mercedes-Benz has really stepped up its game in designing interiors. The current C-Class’ cabin is serviceable, though hardly stellar. Fortunately the 2015 iteration completely changes things for the better.

Round vents ensure climate-controlled air is placed precisely where it’s needed, artfully designed seat controls are mounted on the doors for easy access, optional open-pore ash-wood trim invites inquisitive digits to feel its exposed grain and elegantly stitched leather runs across the doors and dash. Nearly everything in the 2015 C-Class interior is thoughtfully crafted to luxury standards, but there is one glaring exception.

Just like its CLA-Class little brother – the Mazda3 is guilty as well – this car’s navigation screen looks like a complete afterthought. The layout looks like an iPad Mini that’s been zip-tied to the dashboard; it sticks out like a parrot on a pirate’s shoulder, fortunately though it never asks for crackers. The way Audi handles its screens is much more appealing. They tuck away neatly into the dashboard when not needed.

Of course there’s a new version of the company’s COMAND infotainment technology. It maintains the ease of use this system has been known for yet it adds a redesigned look and some appealing new features including a gesture-sensitive touch pad. At first some of the added functionality is a little confusing and the interface does take some getting used to, but with a little practice it should quickly become second nature.

This car’s available Burmester Premium Sound system (standard on C400 4Matic models) is absolutely phenomenal. The symphonic addition is part of the $2,700 premium package, which also includes things like LED headlights and heated front seats. The audio quality it provides is totally kicks ***. It’s one of the best systems to be found in any car at any price point.

The Drive

The new C-Class’ on-road manners are laudable. The car is refined when you need it to be and quite a bit of fun when you want a double-shot of driving excitement.

Evaluating it on stretches of rain-scarred highway revealed that quite a bit of tire noise can breach its NVH defenses. Coarse road surfaces result in a fair bit of ruckus, though in reality it’s probably better than many competing models. On smooth surfaces the car is about as quiet as an S-Class.

The C300’s acceleration is a little tepid, but honestly it’s fine even without pulling quite as strongly as its numbers would suggest. Stepping up to the C400 obliterates this minor complaint.

The up-level C-Class is seriously quick. Its twin-turbo six is exceedingly refined yet it still kicks like a wild stallion. This engine is impressively flexible, delivering tons of torque at very low RPM yet it’s still sparkling at high speed, surging ahead as the tachometer needle zips to redline.

Moving one step down the car’s drivetrain, there’s not much to say about the transmission and that’s a good thing. This gearbox is pretty much seamless, slurring between ratios or snapping off quick upshifts as required.

The available Airmatic suspension is another welcome extra. Included with this option is the Agility Select system, which allows you to switch between five separate driving modes, from Eco and Comfort to Sport and Sport Plus. For even greater customizability there’s an Individual setting that lets the driver tweak several vehicular parameters to suit his or her desires.

Surprisingly, I prefer Comfort mode. It kept things nice and smooth but it didn’t seem to sacrifice much in the handling department. Ride quality in Sport and Sport Plus is pretty stiff and the steering only slightly firmer.

The C-Class’ electrically boosted tiller is just fine, though it falls short of being telepathic. Overall, this setup is well done but it still feels like something subtle is missing, like there’s not quite enough road texture coming through.

My biggest – and only scathing complaint – about the 2015 C-Class has to do with its front seats. They’re cripplingly uncomfortable. After just half an hour my bony backside was numb and I was squirming like a night crawler in the noonday sun, desperately trying to find a comfortable position. That never happened.

In addition to being too low and firm, the bottom cushion feels improperly shaped. Adjusting the seats in every direction and playing with the lumbar didn’t make a difference either. Curiously other journalists did not complain about this so it could have been a fluke.

Helping make up for this comfort catastrophe is the available Distronic Plus adaptive cruise control system, which is bundled in the $2,800 driver-assistance package along with features like blind-spot assist, cross-traffic alert and rear-end collision protection. This technology is nothing short of astounding; it’s one of the greatest features ever put in a car. When engaged, the system will stop, start and steer the new C-Class almost without intervention. It works amazingly well at both highway speed and in stop-and-go traffic, greatly reducing driver fatigue. These are flagship-level features the company is democratizing by making them available in such a popularly priced and prolific model.

Pricing

The 2015 C-Class kicks off at $39,325 for a rear-wheel-drive C300. If you fancy a base model with 4Matic you can snag one for $41,325. Naturally, a top-of-the-line C400 4Matic is a bit richer; they start at $49,515. Please note, all of these figures include $925 for destination and delivery.

This car should start arriving at U.S. dealers next month.

As for fuel economy the C400 stickers at 22 miles per gallon in the city and 29 on interstate jaunts. Combined it averages a claimed 24 MPG.

The Verdict

The 2015 Mercedes-Benz C400 4Matic looks and feels like a premium product. It raises the bar in a segment that’s rife with excellent choices.

It drives nicely, offers some pretty astounding technology and coddles passengers in a luxurious, well-built cabin. But arguably its best features are the torque-rich twin-turbo V6 and available Distronic Plus cruise control.

The new C-Class is more than competitive with its main rivals. Assuming you don’t mind the position of its navigation screen and the front seats don’t leave you crippled after a brief test drive, the new C-Class could be for you.

LOVE IT
Amazing Distronic Plus cruise control
Smooth, torque-rich twin-turbo V6
Rapid acceleration
Luxurious cabin

LEAVE IT
Poorly integrated navigation screen
Torturous front seats
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...view-4053.html
Old 08-01-14, 02:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

awesome.....
Old 08-01-14, 04:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Too bad about the poor nav integration. The screen and resolution looks good nonetheless. 3.0TT sounds like a real winner

Quick Reply: 2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread