Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-14, 07:32 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I saw the spec sheet for the new C300 and C400.

Holy smokes....

There are a lot of impressive features, it will be very difficult to kill someone or be at an at fault accident with this car. Brakes are locked on a red light, can sense pedestrians, 360 cameras, you can post on Facebook while driving, active LED headlights, start stop tech.
Old 07-15-14, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I saw the spec sheet for the new C300 and C400.

Holy smokes....

There are a lot of impressive features, it will be very difficult to kill someone or be at an at fault accident with this car. Brakes are locked on a red light, can sense pedestrians, 360 cameras, you can post on Facebook while driving, active LED headlights, start stop tech.
If that's the kind of transportation I wanted, I'd take the subway.
Old 07-15-14, 07:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If that's the kind of transportation I wanted, I'd take the subway.
Cars are entering a new evolution of safety. It is pretty impressive the level of safety features that will be coming soon. The features will also advance faster than ever before. I think the new tech is exciting and something I like. You obviously do not agree.
Old 07-15-14, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Cars are entering a new evolution of safety. It is pretty impressive the level of safety features that will be coming soon. The features will also advance faster than ever before. I think the new tech is exciting and something I like. You obviously do not agree.
No, but I still respect your opinion on it. Here's the real solution, IMO. Perhaps Mercedes will use it.

Old 07-15-14, 08:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

No, but I still respect your opinion on it. Here's the real solution, IMO. Perhaps Mercedes will use it.

Why?

Not everyone thinks like this. People have shown that they want tech.
Old 07-15-14, 08:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Cars are entering a new evolution of safety. It is pretty impressive the level of safety features that will be coming soon. The features will also advance faster than ever before. I think the new tech is exciting and something I like.
agree 100%

Old 07-15-14, 08:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

why are you opposed to safety tech?

there's a lot of TERRIBLE drivers out there. there's zero chance the govt will make the driving test harder, so it's logical that there's value in smarter cars.
Old 07-15-14, 08:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

there's a lot of TERRIBLE drivers out there. there's zero chance the govt will make the driving test harder, so it's logical that there's value in smarter cars.
I'm not opposed to all high-tech systems by any means. I thought ABS, TC, and VSC were all good worthwhile systems. But I don't think we should depend on electronics to everything for us behind the wheel. One thing we have found in aviation (I was a pilot for some years) is that piloting skills have sharply declined with the growing use of automated flight-systems. When systems fail, and they do, especially with the often-unreliable electronics from Mercedes (though their reliability seems to be improving), then driving skills (just like flying skills) are needed. Many of those "terrible drivers" you mention should probably not have an active license in the first place.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-15-14 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 08:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not opposed to all high-tech systems by any means. I thought ABS, TC, and VSC were all good worthwhile systems. But I don't think we should depend on electronics to everything for us behind the wheel. One thing we have found in aviation (I was a pilot for some years) is that piloting skills have sharply declined with the growing use of automated flight-systems. When systems fail, and they do, especially with the often-unreliable electronics from Mercedes (though their reliability seems to be improving), then driving skills (just like flying skills) are needed. Many of those "terrible drivers" you mention should probably not have an active license in the first place.
Forget planes and avaiation. That has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

I guarantee the new tech is smarter and will react faster than a human.

Vehicle components can be engineered to never fail, ever if wanted.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-15-14 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 08:43 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Our reliance on tech has had an adverse affects on our skills, health, ability and overall IQ.

I just look at kids of this generation (born post 1995) and they really do seem quite dull-witted.

The awful music these days doesn't help the cause.
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

for $2800, the distronic safety systems with the steering assist are a bargain compared to every other package
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Forget planes and avaiation. That has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

I guarantee the new tech is smarter and will react faster than a human.
That's part of the problem...it may react TOO fast. Jam on the brakes full-force (like some of today's advanced braking systems do when they think (?) that the driver wants or needs it) and it's a good recipe for getting rear-ended. Take a car, for example, like the Porsche 911, with superlative carbon-brakes, that can stop from 60 MPH in less than 100 feet. There's no way that Grandpa's Buick Lesabre, behind the Porsche, is going to be able to do the same thing in the same distance.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-15-14 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 08:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ at speeds of only up to like ~30-40mph, they can prevent a crash. Anything higher and it just reduces the severity of the impact. Also, the brake lights on the Mercedes flash to warn drivers in the rear
Old 07-15-14, 08:53 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6

looks better than the 3 wagon.
Wow, that 3 wagon looks downright homely in comparison.
Old 07-15-14, 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It could be a "four-door coupe" which will be positioned between the CLA and CLS since there is a big gap to fill.
On a different thread-related issue, they seem to have done a much nicer job (IMO) with this so-called (four-door coupe) than with the original CLS. The CLS had small slits for windows that were rather difficult to see out of......not a good omen, IMO, for M-B's well-known emphasis on safety. These windows look like they are much more visibility-efficient.

Quick Reply: 2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread