Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Car Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2014/2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Thread

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-13, 11:14 PM   #46
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
TRDFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: A better place
Posts: 7,289
Default

Another goofy-looking Benz with the new styling theme that uses Hyundai-style exaggerated styling cues. No thanks. It seems as though Benz didn't learn anything from the mess of the late 1990-early 2000s, when their models had Asian styling cues and quality dropped and when they had way too many models and variations.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________
"A tradition cannot be founded if you reject the first generation" - Kazuo Okamoto, Chief Engineer 2nd generation LS 400.
-----------
A wise person recently told me, internet forums are mostly for whining.
-----------
The anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in everyone.
TRDFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 11:30 PM   #47
TangoRed
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDFantasy View Post
Another goofy-looking Benz with the new styling theme that uses Hyundai-style exaggerated styling cues. No thanks. It seems as though Benz didn't learn anything from the mess of the late 1990-early 2000s, when their models had Asian styling cues and quality dropped and when they had way too many models and variations.


You act as if the "Asian styling cues" and quality issues go hand in hand. Last time I checked styling has nothing to do with the quality of the car. How would you know Mercedes didn't learn any lessons, quality wise? Their reliability has shot way up from where it was during their dark period.

And way too many models and variations? Show me what competitive car maker hasn't increased the amount of models in its line up over the past decade. If Mercedes is going to stay afloat, it better be creating more models and variations because otherwise the competition will leave it far behind.
TangoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 12:10 AM   #48
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
TRDFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: A better place
Posts: 7,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post


You act as if the "Asian styling cues" and quality issues go hand in hand. Last time I checked styling has nothing to do with the quality of the car. How would you know Mercedes didn't learn any lessons, quality wise? Their reliability has shot way up from where it was during their dark period.

And way too many models and variations? Show me what competitive car maker hasn't increased the amount of models in its line up over the past decade. If Mercedes is going to stay afloat, it better be creating more models and variations because otherwise the competition will leave it far behind.
Sigh.

I was talking about the general period of time for Benz at that point, during the "dark period" for them, where both quality and design was mediocre.

I didn't say anything about quality being bad now, I was merely making an analogy.

With that said, while quality seems fine for the new Benz models, their interiors are getting a bit too shiny, and they're not exactly class-leading interiors right now (save for one or two models).

I guess you forgot that during the "dark period" Mercedes concluded they had too many models that were cannibalizing sales from each other, and other models were suffering from poor sales. Mercedes then at that point made their model lineup a bit smaller and more organized, yet now they've decided to go against that and reverse direction again!

Just because you CAN make a new model doesn't mean you SHOULD. Many of the new niche models from BMW and Audi are answers to questions that nobody asked, and they're not exactly achieving huge sales. Benz should not be so desperate to follow them.

Having too many models risks diluting your brand, and it also stretches engineering resources more thin.

Benz is not Volkswagen. They should not be aiming for a model for every niche. Benz historically is all about class and luxury. I see very little class in most of their new designs, and desperately trying make to new models for every niche is not luxury.
__________________
"A tradition cannot be founded if you reject the first generation" - Kazuo Okamoto, Chief Engineer 2nd generation LS 400.
-----------
A wise person recently told me, internet forums are mostly for whining.
-----------
The anonymity of the internet brings out the worst in everyone.
TRDFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 12:35 PM   #49
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
Slvr surfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: dc
Posts: 1,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDFantasy View Post
Sigh.

I was talking about the general period of time for Benz at that point, during the "dark period" for them, where both quality and design was mediocre.

I didn't say anything about quality being bad now, I was merely making an analogy.

With that said, while quality seems fine for the new Benz models, their interiors are getting a bit too shiny, and they're not exactly class-leading interiors right now (save for one or two models).

I guess you forgot that during the "dark period" Mercedes concluded they had too many models that were cannibalizing sales from each other, and other models were suffering from poor sales. Mercedes then at that point made their model lineup a bit smaller and more organized, yet now they've decided to go against that and reverse direction again!

Just because you CAN make a new model doesn't mean you SHOULD. Many of the new niche models from BMW and Audi are answers to questions that nobody asked, and they're not exactly achieving huge sales. Benz should not be so desperate to follow them.

Having too many models risks diluting your brand, and it also stretches engineering resources more thin.

Benz is not Volkswagen. They should not be aiming for a model for every niche. Benz historically is all about class and luxury. I see very little class in most of their new designs, and desperately trying make to new models for every niche is not luxury.
^^^ This is what ive been thinking/saying for the longest time now. Thanks TRDFantasy!
__________________
05 LS430- Mercury Metallic (ML) aka The Silver Surfer
Slvr surfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 03:07 PM   #50
TangoRed
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDFantasy View Post

I guess you forgot that during the "dark period" Mercedes concluded they had too many models that were cannibalizing sales from each other, and other models were suffering from poor sales. Mercedes then at that point made their model lineup a bit smaller and more organized, yet now they've decided to go against that and reverse direction again!

Just because you CAN make a new model doesn't mean you SHOULD. Many of the new niche models from BMW and Audi are answers to questions that nobody asked, and they're not exactly achieving huge sales. Benz should not be so desperate to follow them.

Having too many models risks diluting your brand, and it also stretches engineering resources more thin.

Benz is not Volkswagen. They should not be aiming for a model for every niche. Benz historically is all about class and luxury. I see very little class in most of their new designs, and desperately trying make to new models for every niche is not luxury.

I do remember that time, a time when Mercedes had Chrysler in the corporate portfolio too. They're going in that opposite direction for a reason. The top level segment is stagnant where all the potential for profit is in the bottom end. Mercedes is well aware they can't play the "I only play in the big leagues" game the way they used to in the past- Audi and BMW have increased their prestige, and brands like Maserati and Bentley are becoming more accessible.

Very little engineering resources are wasted on these niche vehicles as they're using the same components as their platform mates. And those models don't need to sell in big numbers to bring profit to the company, which is the end goal. With the Euro market going softer than ever, these models are very important to the bottom line.

Time to let go of the MB of the past. Times have changed and so must Mercedes. Without these bottom end models bringing money they won't have the funds to keep the S-class as the standard of the world.
TangoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-13, 04:58 PM   #51
T0ked
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (2)
 
T0ked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 2,402
Default

MB has more models options than ever before and they have had huge strides in quality from the early 2000s. While also increasing sales. Aside from new tech such as ABC and airmatic suspension and such, much of their quality rep was destroyed by the intro of the M class. That was a reliability debacle.

Their "asian" styled vehicles of the early 2000s, those were the best selling models of all MB history. The new S carries design themes from the Maybach, the W220 and the W221 and has been universally well received as a elegant and beautiful design. I guess MB will never learn...
__________________
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser, TRD exhaust and intake, Rock sliders, A-Track, Rear Lockers,
2007 Mercedes Benz S550, PPackage II, AMG Sport Package, 19" staggered AMG 5-spoke


"Psychology is just meta-hacking an OS that was randomly bashed out by a million monkeys on typewriters over a few billion years and runs on constantly changing, badly shielded hardware with a lot of legacy design issues. I think."
T0ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 04:08 PM   #52
Hoovey2411
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 29,432
Default Spy Shots: Next-ge Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Next-gen Mercedes C-Class spotted under the covers


Click the image to open in full size.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/merce...photo-5939652/

We aren't expecting to see the next-generation Mercedes-Benz C-Class until the 2014 Detroit Auto Show next January, but our quick-snapping spy shooters managed to catch a prototype being pulled out from under the covers. In these shots, we can clearly see that the new C-Class will take many of its design cues from the larger E- and S-Class sedans something that's especially noticeable with the more vertical taillamps.

When Mercedes-Benz launches the new C-Class next year, it will reportedly come with a range of gasoline, diesel and hybrid powerplants, as well as a couple of different bodystyles (at least sedan and coupe, anyway). Of course, Mercedes-Benz will need to reposition the C-Class in its lineup, since this small sedan will no longer be the entry point to the brand, what with the fresh new CLA-Class hitting our market later this year.

Still, there should be a lot to like about the upcoming C-Class, and folks from Mercedes-Benz are eager to get this thing on the road. In an earlier Automotive News report, the company's US CEO, Steve Cannon, admitted that, "We were fighting the 3 Series with two arms tied behind our back, and now we will change that."

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/06/n...er-the-covers/
__________________
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic95774_1.gif
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
GIANTS|NINERS|SHARKS|WARRIORS
Hoovey2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 05:34 PM   #53
RXSF
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
RXSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 9,982
Default

Cant wait. Probably will trade my C class in for this or for the CLA

funny how the headlight design looks like the 2008 one before the mid cycle refresh which they then make slimmer and now its back
__________________
2011 RX450h, 2002 IS300, 2009 C350
Retired- 2004 RX330, 1999 RX300
RXSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 07:25 AM   #54
Infra
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 1,007
Default

Another MB with a dull rear end. It all just melds together, absolutely no interesting details on the back of their recent cars.
Infra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 07:33 AM   #55
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (3)
 
MPLexus301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 8,825
Send a message via AIM to MPLexus301
Default

^That's because the entire rest of their cars are so overstyled
__________________
"It's not so much that I drive in excess of the speed limit, officer... I just like to reach it as quickly as possible."
MPLexus301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 08:26 AM   #56
Hoovey2411
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 29,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLexus301 View Post
^That's because the entire rest of their cars are so overstyled
by the time they get the end, they've run out of style
__________________
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic95774_1.gif
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
GIANTS|NINERS|SHARKS|WARRIORS
Hoovey2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 08:29 AM   #57
TangoRed
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infra View Post
Another MB with a dull rear end. It all just melds together, absolutely no interesting details on the back of their recent cars.
Look for that design trend to continue. Apparently its wholly intentional on non-coupe cars.
TangoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-13, 09:14 PM   #58
Hoovey2411
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 29,432
Default

Click the image to open in full size.

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/merce...photo-5982311/
__________________
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic95774_1.gif
|Version 3.5 |TLN #918|
GIANTS|NINERS|SHARKS|WARRIORS
Hoovey2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-13, 11:09 PM   #59
trexlexus
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 364
Default

Perhaps it is the black camo, but the next C looks long..... Almost E class long.

I guess what they say about cars is true: every gen gets bigger, heavier, and costs more.

In 20 years, there will be C classes that are longer than today's LWB S550s.
trexlexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-13, 11:34 PM   #60
Fizzboy7
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Fizzboy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 5,983
Send a message via AIM to Fizzboy7
Default

Vertical taillights look dumpy. Actually, the whole sloping trunk looks dumpy and feminine. Copying the new S-class here was not a good idea.
__________________
auto, air, tilt wheel, and more...
Fizzboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-13, 11:34 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2014, 2015, 2016, 9gtronic, amg, automobilemag, benz, bmw 3-series, c-class, c205, c400, cabriolet, cclass, cl, class, club, convertible, coupe, crown, dapper, date, detailing, forum, information, interior, jaguar xs, latest, lexus, lexus is, majesta, merceded, mercedes, mercedes-benz c-class, mercedesbenz, moving, mra, navigation, news, photos, pics, pictures, platform, revamp, rwd, screen, shot, shots, spy, tacked, toyota, transmission, undisguised, w205, white

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spy Shots: Next-ge Mercedes-Benz C-Class Hoovey2411 Car Chat 15 08-29-13 04:59 PM
2015 Mercedes-Benz W205 C-Class Exposed cmk1 Car Chat 17 04-18-13 04:58 PM
Spy Shots: Revamped 2014 Mercedes C-Class looks dapper in camo Hoovey2411 Car Chat 14 02-18-13 12:53 AM
Autocar reveals 2014 Mercedes-Benz C-Class details Hoovey2411 Car Chat 4 01-09-13 05:19 PM
Next Mercedes-Benz C-Class getting worked out at the 'Ring Hoovey2411 Car Chat 6 08-22-12 06:35 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:43 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info