Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official Next Gen Chrysler 200 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 04:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
A recent issue of R&T showed the new direction MB is taking with their grills. Less gaping and more cohesive with the rest of the car. Could it be this styling trend has peaked and will be going the other way in the near future? The magazine made mention of this in their recap of the look.
Quite honestly trends seem to come and go through decades. I wouldn't be suprised to see more '17, '18, '19 etc.. model lose the large grill in favor of smaller or just more aerodynamic bumpers/bodies. Either way I like a mix of small, large and inbetween grills on the market.

In this instance, I think it gives the 200 a personality it's never had before + the car gives off a more premium feel which Chrysler was always supposed to have but never was than Dodge.

Example:
Dodge - Chrysler
Ford - Mercury
Chevy - Buick
Kia - Hyundai

Last edited by Hoovey689; 03-20-14 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 05:31 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's a tough one. Not sure if it's a matter of "trends".

historically people IMO regardless of trends, Just prefer a a strong, boxed out front end. Whether it be at the grille level or at the bumper level, it just looks more aggressive. This liking maybe associated with the first cars ever made referencing the super grilles like the Ford Model A.

even during the 1950's and 1960's, you had those huge american grilles. In the 1970's you had those huge mercedes E and S class grilles. Bmw's had those super aggressive forward slanted kidney grilles (which by the way look so powerful now). Then you had the Ford Mustangs as well.

The new chrysler 200 already has a super short front end, I guess they did that to increase the interior space. But to make up for that shortfall, you need to have a massive grille like the Ford Fusion. The fusion looks so nice because of the snouty grille even though it has a overall short front end.

the team that designed this were definitely not the same guys who did the chrysler 300, challenger or charger that's for sure. Those big iconic cars have super nice proportional front ends unlike this 200.

the funny thing is Chrysler's concept of the 200 was actually very good looking. Their concept of it few years back in 2008 was pretty good to. So I don't know why they went with this direction.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Just to play devils advocate since the design doesn't strike me offensive, the other way to look at it is with many manufacturers like Audi, Ford, Toyota, Mazda, Lexus, Cadillac to name a few going with the large gaping grills, this design seems to buck the trend and gives Chrysler possibly a new direction with their design language to make things more fluid and stream lined whereas the Dodge brand could be seen as more aggressive/bold.
Originally Posted by LexBob2
A recent issue of R&T showed the new direction MB is taking with their grills. Less gaping and more cohesive with the rest of the car. Could it be this styling trend has peaked and will be going the other way in the near future? The magazine made mention of this in their recap of the look.
Quite honestly trends seem to come and go through decades. I wouldn't be suprised to see more '17, '18, '19 etc.. model lose the large grill in favor of smaller or just more aerodynamic bumpers/bodies. Either way I like a mix of small, large and inbetween grills on the market.

In this instance, I think it gives the 200 a personality it's never had before + the car gives off a more premium feel which Chrysler was always supposed to have but never was than Dodge.

Example:
Dodge - Chrysler
Ford - Mercury
Chevy - Buick
Kia - Hyundai
Old 03-20-14, 05:47 PM
Hoovey689

Not a bad look Tantrix. Though I do see some Chrysler Crossfire in the C-pillar from that angle , and then looking at the rear reminds me of the current CLA. Not bad though. I will say I am suprised that the 200 went the way it did while the 300 took as you say the bold boxy look and sharpened it up a bit from its first gen. One can't argue that they are doing the "one sausage different lengths" mentality in this case. Really makes me curious to see what they do with the front end of the Town & Country (if it lives, debate has it that or the Caravan will get the axe).

Remember the Chrysler 700C Minivan Concept from 2012 (more current 200ish than current 300ish)

Old 03-20-14, 07:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

why are you answering the first question of this thread that dates back to december. I think I got it by now
OK, Point taken, but not everyone scrolls through all the posts. And the main point was not only the new transmission, but all of the other good improvements on the new 200 as well. I'm looking forward to an MM Full-Review (or a Hoovey-Review). It will be interesting how this car stacks up against the Buick Verano and Regal, which, with the demise of the Mercury Milan, will probably be its closest domestic competition.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-20-14 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-25-14, 11:28 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2015 Chrysler 200 is all new. But is it a better mid-sized sedan than the Honda Accord, the Ford Fusion, the Nissan Altima or the Toyota Camry. Perhaps more interestingly is the 2015 Chrysler 200 faster than all of those best-selling sedans from 0-60 MPH. In another accurate, fun and informative TFLvideo review with mashup all of these vehicles with several different engines to determine if the new Chrysler 200 has what it takes to compete with the big boys in this very popular sedan class.
Brian Robinson gives us a "First Look" at the 2015 Chrysler 200.
The 2015 Chrysler 200C is powered by an award winning 3.6 liter V-6 engine named Pentastar. The best-in-class power output is 295 horsepower and 262 lb-ft. of torque. Combined with a 9-speed automatic transmission and an AWD system, the Chrysler 200C has some respectable acceleration numbers.

A best 0-60 MPH time of 6.5 seconds was accomplished with the Drive Mode set to "Sport" and the Traction Control turned "Off"
Here is what you need to know about the 2015 Chrysler 200: it is nothing like the previous model. The 200 rides on a totally new Alfa Romeo based platform that is very advanced. The first thing you notice is how quiet the car is. The V-6 engine is smooth, quiet, and powerful. The 2015 Chrysler 200 marks a turning point with a solid new platform, slick styling, a splendid interior, and top shelf technology.

A lot of time and effort went into designing a very slick exterior and the resulting 0.27 drag coefficient is the lowest in the category. These aerodynamics help the fuel economy as does under-belly aerodynamics and active shutters. The 2 powertrains include a 2.4 liter 4-cylinder Tigershark engine that makes 184 horsepower and a larger 3.6 liter V-6 Pentastar engine that makes 295 horsepower.

On the inside the first thing you notice is the large Uconnect 8.4-inch touch-screen unit in the center stack. The rotary **** controls the transmission. Gone are the large shifters replaced by smaller more technologically advanced systems.
Old 03-25-14, 01:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ran across this today....

Percent U.S./Canadian content: 76 (highest % of ANY car or truck)

Final assembly point: Sterling Heights, Michigan

Engines and transmissions from: U.S, Mexico

Bottom Line: The 2014 Dodge Avenger looks great and comes with a long list of features, but it's just not rewarding to spend time behind the wheel.

The Dodge Avenger scores a few percent higher on the federal percentage of U.S./Canadian content than the nearly identical Chrysler 200. Although the Avenger's replacement is still in limbo, the all-new 2015 Chrysler 200 keeps the current Sterling Heights, Michigan, assembly plant, primary engines, and a U.S.-sourced ZF nine-speed automatic transmission, so we expect to see these Chrysler mid-sizers remain near the top of the list.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/cars/b...a45_story.html
Old 03-25-14, 03:42 PM
Hoovey689

Default 2015 Chrysler 200 snags EPA ratings of 18 mpg city and 29 highway

While Chrysler hasn't officially announced fuel economy figures for its new 200 sedan, the information for one model has just leaked out thanks to the US Department of Energy's FuelEconomy.gov website. It certified the 200 with the 295-horsepower and 262-pound-feet 3.6-liter Pentastar V6, nine-speed automatic and all-wheel drive as getting 18-miles-per-gallon city, 29-mpg highway and 22-mpg combined.

Last year's front-wheel drive 200 with a less-powerful version of the Pentastar was rated at 19-mpg city, 29-mpg highway and 22-mpg combined. That means that buyers are getting more power and all-wheel drive traction at almost no loss in economy. However, compared to current, all-wheel drive sedan competitors, the Chrysler comes in the middle. The Ford Fusion with all-wheel drive with the 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder has 240 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque is somewhat down on power but bests it in economy at 22-mpg city, 31-mpg highway and 25-mpg combined. The current Subaru Legacy 3.6R loses in both metrics with 256 hp and 247 lb-ft and a rating of 18-mpg city, 25-mpg highway and 20-mpg combined. However, Subaru claims the next generation with the same engine will boast 20-mpg city, 28-mpg highway and 23-mpg combined. But these numbers are just estimates from the automaker at the moment, and they haven't yet been certified by the EPA yet.

The numbers for the four-cylinder and front-wheel drive 200 drivetrains are not yet available, but Chrysler has been promising the sedan gets an estimated 35-mpg highway with the 184-hp and 173-lb-ft Tigershark 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/25/2...and-29-highwa/
Old 03-25-14, 11:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Let's not skirt around some obvious facts. 18 mpg in the city is low for 2014, and will look worse in three short years as new models arise. Should all be in the low 20's by now. This is the result of wastefully making AWD standard, which is the fallout of a powerful V6 in a FWD vehicle. Wrong recipe and marketing in my opinion.
Old 03-26-14, 06:48 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Let's not skirt around some obvious facts. 18 mpg in the city is low for 2014, and will look worse in three short years as new models arise. Should all be in the low 20's by now. This is the result of wastefully making AWD standard, which is the fallout of a powerful V6 in a FWD vehicle. Wrong recipe and marketing in my opinion.
Yet you managed to skirt around the obvious fact that AWD is not standard. These are the fuel economy figures for the "worst case scenario" model.
Old 03-26-14, 12:08 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-26-14, 02:02 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Once Chrysler gets around to adding direct injection to the pentastars, it should jump a decent amount as well.
Old 03-26-14, 02:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Yet you managed to skirt around the obvious fact that AWD is not standard. These are the fuel economy figures for the "worst case scenario" model.
I was referring only to the V6 fuel economy numbers, where AWD is standard. Hence my comment about forced AWD if you want the V6 and the requisite poor fuel mileage that always comes with it. Poor choices forced on buyers. Nearly all the competition can engineer and offer a high-horsepower FWD option without major complications.
Old 03-26-14, 03:11 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was referring only to the V6 fuel economy numbers, where AWD is standard. Hence my comment about forced AWD if you want the V6 and the requisite poor fuel mileage that always comes with it. Poor choices forced on buyers. Nearly all the competition can engineer and offer a high-horsepower FWD option without major complications.
You can get FWD with the V6. AWD is not required by the V6, but to get AWD, you must get the V6, can't get AWD paired with the 4 cylinder.
Old 03-26-14, 03:47 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

AWD is not standard. Which is why I made that post..
Old 03-27-14, 12:03 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TangoRed
AWD is not standard. Which is why I made that post..
AWD is standard on the V6, right? I was referring to getting stuck with that if one wanted the top engine. I was going by post #35 on page three by Hoovey, but I'm thoroughly confused at this point.

Quick Reply: Official Next Gen Chrysler 200 Thread