Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-13, 05:52 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
The 2007 Toyota concept sure has some things the 2016 NSX shares and the NSX rips the LFA interior. Not to mention Lexus and Toyota lead with hybrid tech which Honda is now going after (real hybrids not an IMA assist)

Me thinks you should stop with the insults and accept reality
I love your hate toward anything related to Acura. I also would love to inform that the highest spender in R&D in auto industry can't make a better electric engine than Tesla.
Old 12-13-13, 01:31 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
I love your hate toward anything related to Acura. I also would love to inform that the highest spender in R&D in auto industry can't make a better electric engine than Tesla.
Of course they can just like any other big manufacturer, they just do not want to. Reasons are numerous.
Old 12-13-13, 10:04 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default From Toyota UK

First glimpse of new Toyota sports car concept

December 12th, 2013 by Joe Clifford

Owners of the new Gran Turismo 6 game could be the first to experience Toyota’s exciting new sports car concept.

Would you like to ‘drive’ a brand-new Toyota sports car concept?

Gran Turismo 6, the latest version of the world’s best driving simulator game, launched worldwide last week. As well as including a TRD 86 Racing version of the GT86, Toyota committed to develop an exciting new sports car concept for the game that owners will be able to put through its paces.

Available as free downloadable content early in 2014, the collaboration between Toyota and developer Polyphony Digital forms part of the ambitious Vision Gran Turismo programme. Its purpose is to reward the franchise’s loyal fan-base with a unique window into the future of automotive design and celebrate 15 years of GT gaming history.

This is the only image available at the moment but any talk of Toyota and new sports cars always leads to speculation on the introduction of a spiritual successor to the Supra.

We never comment on speculation but it’s clear that there are familiar proportions in the shape of the silhouette…
http://blog.toyota.co.uk/first-glimp...ts-car-concept
Old 12-13-13, 11:47 AM
LexFather

Before you attack you might want to do some research Not only did Toyota state they don't have much faith in that market, they made money owning Tesla stock

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intel...e-is-a-market/

Toyota Motor Corp. isn’t going to be investing heavily into electric vehicles and the company Chairman, Takeshi Uchiyamada, doesn’t think there is much of a market for them.

“The reason why Toyota doesn’t introduce any major [all-electric product] is because we do not believe there is a market to accept it,” Mr. Uchiyamada said in an interview following a speech on Monday at the Economic Club of Washington, D.C.

That’s not to say Toyota hasn’t benefited from its partnership with electric vehicle maker, Tesla Motors. Toyota has received a powertrain for its RAV4 electric vehicle and also some venture-fueled excitement for its employees. Oh — and it also has paper gains of approximately $503 million on the 2.941 million shares of stock it bought in the Palo Alto, Calif.-based auto maker.
My apologies for thinking some of the NSX styling looks like the 6 year old FT-HS…..

Old 12-13-13, 12:12 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexFather
Before you attack you might want to do some research Not only did Toyota state they don't have much faith in that market, they made money owning Tesla stock

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intel...e-is-a-market/

My apologies for thinking some of the NSX styling looks like the 6 year old FT-HS…..
Keep believing those scripted interview.
Isn't that the way corporations make money? Invest in a company that do better than them in a category?
Why would they want to take risk investing on something already exist when they can buy it much much cheaper?
If there is something NSX looks similar to, it's r8. No matter how you slice it, RR will never have the proportion of FR.
Old 12-13-13, 12:22 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Both cars have the air vent behind the door. Headlights are also a little similar.
Old 12-13-13, 08:39 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Both cars have the air vent behind the door. Headlights are also a little similar.
And the vents on 918 and R8 probably copied from FT-HS too since they have B pillar vents, and R8 is heavily influenced by FT-HS since the headlight is also similar to NSX. I'm not defending NSX, but hate on Lexus forums toward Acura is disgusting.
Old 12-14-13, 02:46 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

And the vents on 918 and R8 probably copied from FT-HS too since they have B pillar vents, and R8 is heavily influenced by FT-HS since the headlight is also similar to NSX. I'm not defending NSX, but hate on Lexus forums toward Acura is disgusting.
Lol, I wasn't trying too "hate" on Honda/Acura. Besides the upcoming NSX, their whole entire line up is pretty bland (and this coming from a TL owner).

FT-HS, and the 918, and R8 look nothing alike.

You should go look on those Honda/Acura forums. They hate on everything that doesn't have a "H" or and "A" on the hood. I agreed with you that there needs to be less hate across all the boards. But with all the fanboys out there it is most likely isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Maybe you and LexFather can take your flight somewhere else. And can we please get back on topic? This thread is about Toyota's upcoming sports car concept.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 12-14-13 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-14-13, 06:23 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Lol, I wasn't trying too "hate" on Honda/Acura. Besides the upcoming NSX, their whole entire line up is pretty bland (and this coming from a TL owner).

FT-HS, and the 918, and R8 look nothing alike.

You should go look on those Honda/Acura forums. They hate on everything that doesn't have a "H" or and "A" on the hood. I agreed with you that there needs to be less hate across all the boards. But with all the fanboys out there it is most likely isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Maybe you and LexFather can take your flight somewhere else. And can we please get back on topic? This thread is about Toyota's upcoming sports car concept.
And NSX doesn't look like FT-HS either. Well maybe the way I look at it is different from you guys.

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to go off topic. Let's get back in.
Old 12-14-13, 09:54 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what he posted in the other Supra thread.

^ I can see the similarities.... The main one being the vent behind the doors.

Not hating ... Just observing.
Old 12-14-13, 10:00 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
^ I can see the similarities.... The main one being the vent behind the doors.

Not hating ... Just observing.
I can also see it...I don't know if others say different, but I clearly see it.

The weird thing is that I never see Ferrari look similar to a Lambo
Old 12-14-13, 11:12 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

I agree that the headlights and vents near the B-pillars are similar....but that's Toyota's bad. Smaller Honda is beating them to the punch with the new NSX being released sooner, so this design will now rightfully become theirs.

It is truly inexcusable how long it has/is taking Toyota to offer any type of sports car replacement for Supra/MR2 Turbo. We're now closer than ever to one finally being released... but that just means we only have to wait a few more years, lol.
Old 12-14-13, 11:36 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Initial B
I agree that the headlights and vents near the B-pillars are similar....but that's Toyota's bad. Smaller Honda is beating them to the punch with the new NSX being released sooner, so this design will now rightfully become theirs.

It is truly inexcusable how long it has/is taking Toyota to offer any type of sports car replacement for Supra/MR2 Turbo. We're now closer than ever to one finally being released... but that just means we only have to wait a few more years, lol.
That "Few" can be as much as A Few Few more years.

Toyota usually take years, and I mean 3-4 years or even more before production

Which is good though, I can keep on saving money LOL!
Old 12-14-13, 12:35 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i hope they don't compete with NSX and GTR. i hope it won't topped out at $45k loaded. if so, it'd be sell like hot cakes just for its name plate.
Old 12-14-13, 01:02 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i hope they don't compete with NSX and GTR. i hope it won't topped out at $45k loaded. if so, it'd be sell like hot cakes just for its name plate.
It will. Expect a bit more

Because it just makes all the senses.

MK3 was costing nearly Corvette price. 45k

This will also be around the same as C7 price

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1