Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Old 02-12-18, 08:14 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
I feel the pain for people who are invested in the Supra name. I love the Supras too. But sometimes you have to realize that Godzilla is not coming back for a rerun and understand what a different car market this is in the 21st century. I had a chance to ride in the original Celica from 82, and then subsequently drove the 84 Supra with the manual. Even drove an original Celica Supra circa 1978. Never got a chance on the 88-92 Supra turbos which were GT style. But those were the cars that sold. MKIV didn't sell well so you see what happens.

Look at the numbers here: I recall that MKIV and how astonishing it was, but I remember its pricing was ridiculous. It priced itself out of the market and yep, it did not sell well. Do folks realize that the MKIV barely nudged itself past 11K total for most of its run (93-98)? Those are not good economics for a big car company like Toyota.

Today these are nostalgia memories about a car that can be modded to a thousand horsepower, but that's not realistic for the average sporty car buyer. I don't agree with what Toyota's done here, but you can see what they're thinking. This will be a "Celipra" and it will be a lightweight sporty dental assistant's car with movie car styling in some markets and safe tame driving characteristics. In other places you can get the Zs 335hp engine. Manuals are fun, but not quick anymore, so that's a moot point.

Yes, it's going to end up being a troublesome Bimmer under the skin but it looks like Toyota's ready to risk it. If they kept the curb weight at 3500lbs or less that inline six will put up plenty of grunt for the average buyer. You can buy the badge, or you buy the edgy styling.
The Fast and Furious franchise made the Supra a household name.
All Toyota had to do is just put a half decent car together with some turbo power and it would sell like crazy but it has to have a manual as to not be a poseur type car or at least a DCT!

As great as the BMW inline 6s are, Toyota really should of built their own.
Hell bring back the 2JZ and the old bodystyle just add some new interior tech.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 02-12-18 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-12-18, 08:37 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Great another concept now it has a giant wing too.....

I still can't believe its all BMW parts and no manual in a SUPRA!?!
WTF is Akio thinking?

The last Supra had a giant wing too, the caption even says this is a RACING concept based off what should be the Supra. And who says it's going to be "all bmw"? Lets wait and see what the car is looking like and then how it drives before taking some 'BMW insiders' words for it. I wonder if anyone ever thought the guy is playing up BMW's role because that's who he supports? We heard the same stuff with the GT86/BRZ and that car set it on fire with the reviews.
Old 02-13-18, 12:11 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

what's so bad about a bmw?

if it handles anything close to the 3 series, there's nothing to cry about.
Old 02-13-18, 01:43 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
what's so bad about a bmw?

if it handles anything close to the 3 series, there's nothing to cry about.
If it handles like the current 3 series, everyone will cry. Let's hope it's more like the older E90 rather than the F30.
Old 02-13-18, 02:11 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Someone on bimmerpost by the sn ynguldyn, according to autoblog is saying this car will have a Toyota badge and Toyota body, but interior and powertrains are sourced from BMW.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/12/...bodied-bmw-z4/

___

If true I’m disappointed. Toyota has the lovely FT-1 concept, I was hoping if they could make the Lexus LF-LC concert reality, that they could make FT-1 a reality too. Not to mention Toyota has a nice 400+hp 3.5L V6 they could have sourced from Lexus. Le sigh
Old 02-13-18, 05:37 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I feel the pain for people who are invested in the Supra name. I love the Supras too. But sometimes you have to realize that Godzilla is not coming back for a rerun.
Then grant Supra the honorable death it deserves.

If Toyota and BMW want to get in bed and procreate some bastard project, fine. I'm all for it, just don't call it Supra. It's a desecration of the the legend. Calling it Supra is a cheap grab at nostalgia misusing a name to sell cars.

And no manual is salt in the wound. Simply baffling.
Old 02-13-18, 06:50 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I would have preferred that Toyota, Nissan and Mazda collaborated on developing a body and then just add their own drivetrains, suspensions and interiors. At least it will be Japanese and still have its own distinctiveness. Or Toyota, Mazda and Subaru. Toyota already owns pieces of them.
Old 02-13-18, 07:20 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like the MKV Supra forum boys found a Japanese car magazine cover that has spilled the specs on the car. This is what one of the forum members posted in a thread there. Curb weight shows as 3284 lbs and the powertrain is supposed to be BMW 3.0 liter inline six with 335 hp with eight speed dct auto. The scan shows a projected 0-60 time of 3.8 secs.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/mkv...-magazine.737/

MKV
Wheelbase 2,470 mm (97.2 in)
Length 4380 mm (172.4 in)
Width 1855 mm (73 in)
Height 1,290 mm (50.8 in)
Curb weight 1,496 kg (3,284 lb)
Engine: 3.0L turbo inline-six with 335 hp and 332 lb-ft, plus 37 lb-ft overboot.
Transmission: 8 speed auto transmission.
Tires: 225/50/17 front, 255/45/17 rear
Old 02-13-18, 09:17 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Someone on bimmerpost by the sn ynguldyn, according to autoblog is saying this car will have a Toyota badge and Toyota body, but interior and powertrains are sourced from BMW.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/12/...bodied-bmw-z4/

reminds me of the brand new mazda6 v6 5 speed in 2003. i had no idea at the time of purchase that the mazda6 v6 had a 3L V6 ford duratec engine, mazda body, jatco (japanese) 5 speed transmission. the mazda body and paint, imo, were beautiful and lasted great through the 6+ years i had it. however, integration and longevity of the powertrain wasnt there. the car fell apart. 2 out of 3, engine mounts broke, clutch went out prematurely etc. mazda later dropped the ford duratec engine.. hope the new Supra doesnt share this same fate and integration of the parts have been thoroughly tested.. And, hopefully buyers know that it is a BMW engine under the hood at the time of purchase.

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Then grant Supra the honorable death it deserves.

If Toyota and BMW want to get in bed and procreate some bastard project, fine. I'm all for it, just don't call it Supra. It's a desecration of the the legend. Calling it Supra is a cheap grab at nostalgia misusing a name to sell cars.

And no manual is salt in the wound. Simply baffling.
reminds me of the Mitsubishi Eclipse. at least toyota didnt make it a crossover lol

Last edited by jadu; 02-13-18 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-13-18, 09:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

toyota already uses other manufacturer engines or at least designs (yamaha, subaru) and at least share some designs (fr-s/86/br-z). the disappointment/loathing here is that it's bmw this time maybe because it feels like toyota's conceding defeat? no, i think it's just a cheaper way for toyota to get a sports car. if it turns out great, there will be buyers. if it REALLY feels like a bmw with a toyota veneer, it will likely be a flop.
Old 02-13-18, 09:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I have to agree, the Japanese don't seem to or rarely stick to anything high performance or luxurious, especially the more expensive vehicles that don't sell well. Look at all the cars all the Japanese companies have killed that are now cult classics and very few seem to be coming back, 3000GT, Eclipse, FTO, RX-7, Cosmo, Millenia, 929, MX-6, Supra, Celica All Trac, Cressida, MR-2, Prelude, CRX, S2000, Accord coupe now, Legend coupe, CL, Integra/RSX, 240SX, 300ZX, possibly 370Z, Q45, SVX, etc. Basically most performance/upper end cars get killed if they are not big sellers or they have no desire to spend the money for new versions.
good point, it seems like the japanese don't stick with many things if the sales get slow, but it's a chicken and egg, if a car's overpriced or gets old, sales will die! it's not hard to understand.

you mention the 300zx, 370z but nissan still sells the Z car, plus the skyline/gt-r has been around forever, so nissan at least has stuck with sports cars.

Originally Posted by situman
Im not sure this can be blamed on the bean counters. It seems to be the Japanese car business culture. Europeans will slowly cultivate even low volume models. Japan prioritizes efficiency and volume. The ES and possibly the RX will get a 3rd gen before the LX and GX gets a full overhaul, if at all. The LS took 9 yrs and the GS might take 10 yrs.
true.
Old 02-13-18, 09:40 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Looks like the MKV Supra forum boys found a Japanese car magazine cover that has spilled the specs on the car. This is what one of the forum members posted in a thread there. Curb weight shows as 3284 lbs and the powertrain is supposed to be BMW 3.0 liter inline six with 335 hp with eight speed dct auto. The scan shows a projected 0-60 time of 3.8 secs.

MKV
Width 1855 mm (73 in)
Engine: 3.0L turbo inline-six with 335 hp and 332 lb-ft, plus 37 lb-ft overboot.
the specs look good on paper. less than 3300 lbs curb weight. quick 0-60 times. Im sure toyota thought of this, but the more I think about it, it seems they did not market this car us people like us, and i also know we are only a small fraction of car buyers. Everything discussed in this thread, imo, I think Toyota may have already known--that the new MKV supra would not be initially accepted or liked by toyota loyalists and enthusiasts. I'm sure Toyota knew this and all i know is this better be a super kickass handling, jaw dropping, neck breaking car and better have some great reviews for us toyolex owner car guys to even consider.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
toyota already uses other manufacturer engines or at least designs (yamaha, subaru) and at least share some designs (fr-s/86/br-z). the disappointment/loathing here is that it's bmw this time maybe because it feels like toyota's conceding defeat? no, i think it's just a cheaper way for toyota to get a sports car. if it turns out great, there will be buyers. if it REALLY feels like a bmw with a toyota veneer, it will likely be a flop.
good point. toyota did a great job integrating those engines.
Old 02-13-18, 11:12 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

As a current MKIV Supra owner I'm not expecting the specs of the new car to be catered toward us. But if those specs from the Japanese magazine with 3300 lbs and 335HP are true it won't be a bad car even with a DCT and no manual assuming price is reasonable. My plan in near future was to buy a used FBO R35 GTR to have along with my MKIV Supra. I may wait and see about Toyota's new coupe and how it does.
Old 02-13-18, 02:00 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

MKV
Width 1855 mm (73 in)
That is totally lame and disappointing, so in 20 years since the Supra left the US market the new one has gained only 15hp and they need to use a BMW engine, meanwhile a Corvette has 460hp standard, base 911 has over 350hp, 370Z has 350hp, 8 cylinder Mustang and Camaro have over 400hp, M3 has over 400hp. Don't call this a Supra, it now has almost the least hp in class. There is no way 335hp in a car around 3300lbs is going to do 0-60 in 3.8 sec either. Some of the illustrations on the styling look really bad, don't know if they are artist renditions or accurate.
Old 02-13-18, 02:03 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good point, it seems like the japanese don't stick with many things if the sales get slow, but it's a chicken and egg, if a car's overpriced or gets old, sales will die! it's not hard to understand.

you mention the 300zx, 370z but nissan still sells the Z car, plus the skyline/gt-r has been around forever, so nissan at least has stuck with sports cars.

true.
370Z or a new Z car may not be returning from some reports. They did kill the Z car for a while but brought it back, it was a lower end car that they brought back compared to the last 300zx tt. I still give Nissan credit when it comes to sports cars, they quickly brought back the GTR which is on a higher level then the last one and still have a Infiniti coupe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1