Toyota Supra / FT-1 - Page 62 - Club Lexus Forums

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 101 84.17%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 19 15.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Old 09-09-16, 01:36 PM   #916
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
i think $40k is delusional.

The Supra Turbo in 1993 was about $46k. In 1998 (18 years ago!), when it was cancelled, the Supra Turbo was base MSRP of over $55k.
The Supra was killed in the US relatively quickly because it was priced too high and did not have many buyers. I think they had a special edition/price on Supra turbo's in 97 of around $40K or 45K and it still did not sell very many. I hope they don't make the same mistake of pricing it too high again especially considering how big the market is for muscle cars with their relatively low price for the performance they offer but from the looks of that camo concept and it possibly having a 4cyl base engine this new Supra is not going to be anywhere near as special, desirable, and high end as the last one.
UDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 01:49 PM   #917
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroock639 View Post
a Supra shouldn't be something that everyone can buy. it's not an FR-S. the Supra has always been a Skyline competitor with similar performance, why would you want this new one to get completely #rekt by the GT-R? the Supra shouldn't sell in large numbers, seeing one on the street should make you go "whoa!! it's a Supra!!" i don't want to see a lot of Supras being driven around, rarity and exclusivity creates demand and excitement.
The last Supra being a rare site on the streets and not selling in large numbers is why it was killed pretty quickly in the US, it was too expensive for most buyers and they did not sell many. Same exact thing will happen if they price it anywhere near 90K, they won't sell and they will quickly take it off the market.

The GTR is now a huge hp exotic killer costing as much as a S class, it was not like that in the 90's where it was not as expensive, performance more in line with the 300ZX turbo, and was not putting out 911 turbo/Ferrari numbers so expecting a new Supra to compete directly with a 100K specialty vehicle like the modern GTR with its bespoke 550hp engine, advanced awd system, etc is setting yourself up for disappointment.
UDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 03:35 PM   #918
redspencer
Lexus Test Driver

One of the best indicators on what to anticipate from the new Supra is from an interview with Tetsuya Tada, the Chief Engineer of Toyota's sports division. Based on the little clues that he left, it's extremely unlikely that the highest trim version of the MKV Supra is going to be priced at $40k.

Here's an excerpt of the interview:

Quote:
Nearly five years on from the debut of the 86 and Tada-san is ready to look at the future of the sports car for Toyota.

Traditionally polite, warm and with a cheeky sense of humour, Tada-san sat down with news.com.au over dinner in Tokyo to talk about what lies ahead for sports cars.

“Our sports car future at Toyota will revolve around three cars — 86 in the middle, S-FR down the bottom and one on top like the Supra,” he said.

The mention of the Supra immediately garnered excitement by all in the room, it’s a nameplate that Toyota has retired, but there had been word that the company is working on a replacement with BMW for some time now.

“If we do it, it must be something never seen before by Toyota,” he said.

“Hybrid technology is a key technology for us, but if we release a hybrid sports car in the market, it must be something new.

“It must be something that makes people say ‘wow!’”

“Like with 86, when we put small Prius tyres on it. Journalist’s complained when they saw it announced, but most were really surprised when they drove it. That’s the type of surprise we want.”

Toyota’s strong investment in hybrid technology, beginning with the very unsporty Prius will likely result in the tech evolving into high performance powertrains for the next Supra.

But it won’t be like Honda’s new NSX, Tada-san said. How that will differ from the Honda’s use of an electric motor to compliment its turbocharged six-cylinder engine, he wouldn’t say, but he promised it will be something completely unseen before.
http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...54971cc633c466
redspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 03:40 PM   #919
Hoovey2411

If there is a base turbo 4 I can see it being around $40K. With a six cylinder and / or with electric motors, the Supra will likely be $60-70K. Regardless the Supra will likely be playing with Corvette money.
Hoovey2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 05:51 PM   #920
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default Decamoing the Supra Prototype

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/deca...prototype.362/

Last edited by gymratter; 09-25-16 at 10:42 AM.
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 06:16 PM   #921
redspencer
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
That looks a bit like the old MKIV Supra Concept.

redspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 06:21 PM   #922
gymratter
Lead Lap

^I heard the same comments from other forums as well.

I'm thinking it will be an I6. The hood appears to be pretty long. Compare to FT-HS which designers envision to be a V6 hybrid.

Old 09-09-16, 06:35 PM   #923
RNM GS3
Lexus Champion

If it's not a Toyota Inline 6 - I'm not interested!

If I want a BMW engine, just get the M4 or Z5 version also I'm not a fan of turbo V6s.

OTOH if this new Supra is priced between $55-70k with a Toyota TT Inline 6, I will sell my BRZ and put a deposit down immediately.
RNM GS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 07:19 PM   #924
Och
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNM GS3 View Post
If it's not a Toyota Inline 6 - I'm not interested!

If I want a BMW engine, just get the M4 or Z5 version also I'm not a fan of turbo V6s.

OTOH if this new Supra is priced between $55-70k with a Toyota TT Inline 6, I will sell my BRZ and put a deposit down immediately.
BMW never made a turbo V6, or even NA V6 to the best of my knowledge. All of their 6 cylinder engines are inline.
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-16, 09:47 AM   #925
RNM GS3
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
BMW never made a turbo V6, or even NA V6 to the best of my knowledge. All of their 6 cylinder engines are inline.
Yes i know that hence why I drive BMWs because I love the inline6s and hate V6s.
But I dont want a BMW engine in a new Supra!
RNM GS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-16, 11:57 AM   #926
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

yea i don't want anything called a Supra to not have an inline-6 and not be a complete toyota only effort. if they're going to collaborate with anyone let it be yamaha (like they have successfully done many times already) i don't want bmw to be involved with this, at least not if they're going to call it a Supra.
Stroock639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 03:28 AM   #927
AshyBone
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessePS View Post
As a previous FR-S owner I never once had an issue, other than the brake lights constantly having condensation.
Also as a previous FR-S owner, I can confirm this statement. Only Issue I've ever had in my 3 years of ownership were the condensation in the taillights. And that car saw numerous track days, drift events, street races, and highway pulls.... I miss you little buddy :'(
AshyBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 07:12 AM   #928
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default New Round of Spied Shots

Quote:
TOYOTA’S much-loved – and greatly missed – Supra is poised make a triumphant return.

A new technological tie-up between Japan’s largest automaker and German luxury marque BMW is producing the mechanical bits to make Toyota’s next-gen sports car a reality.

Our spies have spotted a prototype undergoing street trials in Europe, where much of the technical development for the new Supra – and its BMW Z5 cousin – is taking place. Swirly camouflage shrouds most of the finer details and the makeshift headlight and tail-lamp clusters aren’t representative of the final product – but there are still plenty of discernable details.

While the Supra’s styling is expected to be distinct from its BMW-badged cousin, there are some key similarities. Compared with the BMW Z5 prototype also spied recently, the Supra ditches the Bimmer’s kidney grille in favour of a sloping snout that recalls the 1990s-era fourth-generation Supra, while the all-metal turret is entirely different from the folding fabric soft top of the Z5.

The Supra’s rear is reminiscent of the Toyota FT-1 concept’s rump , with a ducktail spoiler and wide haunches framing a pronounced (and presumably functional) rear diffuser. The upturned window line and double-bubble roof of the FT-1 also appear to make the transition from showpiece to showroom, but the concept’s wild scoops and vents sadly won’t.

The next-gen Supra will also drop the practical liftback bodystyle of the original. A conventional bootlid and a fixed rear windscreen both support this.

But while the nose, top and tail are Toyota-specific, the midsection reveals the Supra’s German DNA. The bonnet cutline aft of the front wheel well is identical between the Toyota and BMW, as are the wing mirrors, doorhandles and wheelbase. The door shutlines are different, however, a tell-tale sign that this car is not simply a hardtop derivative of the BMW Z5.

What’s under the bonnet remains a mystery. A BMW-sourced turbocharged 3.0-litre inline six is the most likely candidate, with potential output ranging from the 240kW/450Nm of the BMW 440i to the 331kW/550Nm of the BMW M4.

Other rumours hint that Toyota will turn to a plug-in hybrid setup for its Toyota Supra redux, with 50km of EV-only range and over 300kW of power when the petrol engine and electric motors are working in concert. We’ll likely find out which rumour is on the money in 2017, when the all-new BMW-based Toyota Supra is expected to have its first showing.
https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/16...upra-spy-pics/

Old 09-20-16, 11:56 AM   #929
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default 2018-2019 Toyota Supra (MKV) Spotted at BMW M Test Center Nurburgring

Quote:
We're happy to bring you the first video of the 2018/2019 Toyota Supra prototype! It was spotted leaving and entering the BMW M Test Center at the Nurburgring, which is no surprise considering the Supra is being co-developed and shares a platform with the upcoming BMW Z5.

Last edited by gymratter; 09-25-16 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-20-16, 06:56 PM   #930
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

^^^^It could be the new BMW Z5 maybe the motor will be same as supposed new Supra.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote