Toyota Supra / FT-1 - Page 58 - Club Lexus Forums

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 97 84.35%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 18 15.65%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Old 09-07-16, 07:39 AM   #856
rotaryrock
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
Nissan has had great success with the GT-R, despite its small sales volume. Is that the niche Toyota is going for with the new Supra???

Although I will agree they are way late to the party, the GT-R came out in what, 2009???

Also this looks more like a GT-86/BRZ replacement in terms of scale and body shape.
I think so. They know the sports car segment is small. FR-S sales figures alone should tell them that. But I applaud them for coming out with the Supra despite that so that the brand has a halo car. But also looks like they're serious about making sportier cars now that they have the Supra and FR-S. Few companies have genuine two sports cars in their lineup.
rotaryrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 08:21 AM   #857
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Word is that's the FT86 replacement not the Supra but who knows what's what these days.
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 08:24 AM   #858
RNM GS3
Lexus Champion

Not crazy about this whole partnership with BMW to produce a SUPRA.
The interior is straight from BMW, hopefully that's just for testing.

Exterior styling lines look good but not as aggressive as the concept.
RNM GS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 08:50 AM   #859
GS3Tek
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNM GS3 View Post
I totally agree with you there.

This leak looks too much like an ft-86 than the upcoming supra (if it's heavy camouflaged then it's doing a good job
I would be super disappointed if it looks like the ft-86 (again, hopefully a camo) and not anything like the concept.

That interior is a total let down if it's the new "supra".
GS3Tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 09:31 AM   #860
JessePS

I do hope in 2017, we will see the production ready version of the Supra.
JessePS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 01:01 PM   #861
pman6
Lexus Test Driver

please be affordable
pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 03:33 PM   #862
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Those proportions and stance don't look good at all. Looks like a FT-86 update over something more upscale and more performance oriented, it is too small. I hope they are just stretching a FT-86 body over it because I don't see it looking anywhere near as nice as the last Supra with those proportions and shape. What is going on with the tail lights?
UDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 03:55 PM   #863
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman6 View Post
please be affordable
why would you want that? it should be at least $90,000. although i don't know what affordable means to you.
Stroock639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 04:49 PM   #864
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNM GS3 View Post
yea screw that, i want the supra to be reliable
Stroock639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 04:53 PM   #865
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The basic shape looks to me like the old Datsun 240/260Z from the early/mid-70s.
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 04:57 PM   #866
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Car and Driver estimates the 4 cylinder version will start around $40k.

Quote:
Both four- and six-cylinder engines are expected, although they won’t be shared. The Supra will use a Toyota four-cylinder in the most affordable variants, while higher-zoot versions will get a new V-6 (code name 943F) bolstered by a pair of turbos that will push output to 400 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque. A performance-themed hybrid setup—which would be shared—also is a possibility. More sharing would take place in the transmissions, suspension, and other chassis components. In these spy pictures, we even see a BMW steering wheel, column stalks, and gauges. Although the final cars may share these cabin parts, they could simply be stand-ins being used during development.
Quote:
Reports indicate that the cars will be assembled on what could be considered the neutral ground of Austria, by Magna Steyr. Production—at an annual rate of 60,000 cars in total—is due to begin sometime in 2018, and we expect the cars to arrive as 2019 models. It’s likely that Toyota will want to keep the starting price of the Supra near the $40,000 mark—which is considerably less than what the old model cost toward the end of its life span—although high-performance variants would drift far upward from there.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news
JDR76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 05:57 PM   #867
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroock639 View Post
why would you want that? it should be at least $90,000. although i don't know what affordable means to you.
If they price it at 90K it won't sell. 90K is way too high for a Toyota. Back when the Supra came out 50K was too high for the top twin turbo. I don't know what kind of engine options it will have but it should start in the mid to upper 40's for around 350hp and maybe in the 50's for over 450hp.
Old 09-07-16, 06:00 PM   #868
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR76 View Post
Car and Driver estimates the 4 cylinder version will start around $40k.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news
4cyl Supra? Totally lame. tt V6 is even kind of disappointing too . Since Toyota does not have a inline 6 why not use a 4.0 tt V8 for it. Not sure how I would feel about using a BMW inline 6 but that seems better then a ttV6.
Old 09-07-16, 06:05 PM   #869
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Kinda looks like an F12 from the back (obviously they just put some random tail lights to throw things off).

Supra is/was a very special car. I hope they get things right with it. Also curious how mod-friendly they make it and if it will be "over engineered" and have a stout drivetrain out of the box.
97-SC300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 08:24 PM   #870
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default Toyota benchmarking previous Porsche 911 GT3 for new Supra?

Quote:
Toyota engineers have been spotted at the Nurburgring testing a Porsche 911 GT3 RS, potentially getting down some benchmarks in the development of its upcoming Supra revival.

An image has appeared on renowned Nurburgring enthusiast website BridgeToGantry, spotting the Porsche apparently owned by and/or under the control of Toyota. It was seen during a scheduled industry testing day.

It seems engineers could be using the previous-gen 997 GT3 RS at the ‘Ring to gain some valuable data in relation to cornering abilities and performance. We’re sure we don’t have to tell you, the GT3 is a very serious, stripped out race car for the road. Although the new Toyota Supra isn’t likely to be as serious as the GT3, Toyota could be benchmarking to understand the limits.

Engineers were also seen testing the last, fourth-gen Supra on the Nurburgring, possibly to make sure the new model rekindles some of the original spirit. Back then, the Supra came with a now-legendary ‘2JZ’ 3.0-litre twin-turbo inline six engine.

For the new model rumours suggest Toyota could adopt one of BMW’s TwinPower turbo four- or six-cylinder engines, while pairing in some kind of electric hybrid assist system using its own expertise.

Last week we heard news that Toyota had registered a trademark for “Supra” in Europe, following an earlier registration of the name in the USA back in 2014. It seems logical Toyota will apply the legendary name to the new sports car.

BMW, as part of an agreed co-development deal signed in 2012, is also engineering a vehicle alongside the Supra and will introduce a separate model based on the same foundations. There’s talk of it being its new sports convertible, replacing the Z4. The name ‘Z5’ has been thrown around but nothing is official just yet.
http://performancedrive.com.au/toyota-1511/
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote