Toyota Supra / FT-1 - Page 54 - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 96 84.21%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-15, 12:57 PM   #796
Levi68
Pole Position
 
Levi68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Prague
Posts: 299
Default

But Supra with 50% BMW engine is a fail. Just seen the other N63 thread. And look over the I6 engine problems. No thanks, would even take a Toyota I4 over BMW I6 in a Toyota car.
Levi68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-15, 01:06 PM   #797
cino
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 1,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi68 View Post
But Supra with 50% BMW engine is a fail. Just seen the other N63 thread. And look over the I6 engine problems. No thanks, would even take a Toyota I4 over BMW I6 in a Toyota car.
Would take new V6 3.5L DI and twin turbocharge it over BMW crap.
cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-15, 03:05 PM   #798
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fl
Posts: 45
Default

^ I would think this would be the cheapest route for Toyota.

But I just wonder if the co-development with BMW on the chassis they are making to share for w/e comes out of this will be best just incorporating an inline 6 rather than a V6 and/or a V8 due to the way it will be designed. This may also have to do with weight to balance ratio and driving dynamics, etc.

I would think even if this is the case, they have all the engineering that it took to make the 2JZ. So why not just rebuild the 2JZ with modern upgrades like direct injection and w/e else is needed to help meet emission regulations + improve MPG. We know the 2JZ is bullet proof and proven and I'm sure no one would mind if they bring it back to life.
Jason2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 02:53 AM   #799
Levi68
Pole Position
 
Levi68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Prague
Posts: 299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2801 View Post
^ I would think this would be the cheapest route for Toyota.

But I just wonder if the co-development with BMW on the chassis they are making to share for w/e comes out of this will be best just incorporating an inline 6 rather than a V6 and/or a V8 due to the way it will be designed. This may also have to do with weight to balance ratio and driving dynamics, etc.

I would think even if this is the case, they have all the engineering that it took to make the 2JZ. So why not just rebuild the 2JZ with modern upgrades like direct injection and w/e else is needed to help meet emission regulations + improve MPG. We know the 2JZ is bullet proof and proven and I'm sure no one would mind if they bring it back to life.
The chassis depends on how "cheap" BMW is. I hope it is mid-front engine with transaxle gearbox, otherwise it is not worth the sports-car status at that price point, with other cars like the unfortunately ugly AMG GT or the boring 911.

If the chassis has good balance with an I6, it can only be better with a V8 or V6.
Good balance is rear biased, not 50:50 as BMW marketing is claiming.
Levi68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 02:10 PM   #800
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LA
Posts: 5,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDel View Post
I disagree about the FT1 having Supra styling cues, I don't see them especially with the F1 pointed nose, rear end, windshield/side glass, very low stance, and more dramatic styling touches, it lacks the most of the cues of the last Supra like the high loop spoiler, round tail lights, chunkier GT looks though I still think the FT1 is good looking and has potential.
Ok I don't give a crap about the NSX anymore.

So moving on. Tons of people also think FT-1 has 2000GT and MKIV in it. Even the Calty Design team said it has styling cues from past models like the MR-2, 2000GT, Celica, and Supra.

Its a concept, its suppose to be super low. Roof line did came from the 2000GT, however I did say mix of (2000GT/MKIV). MKIV didn't have the F1 nose, but there are also other styling cues. For example,:

Both the FT-1 and MKIV have wide hips.
Both cars also have a pretty high wings.
Both cars have 3 beam headlights.
Both cars have the duck tail if you will.
Both cars have the long hood and short deck.
Both cars have tons of round curves, unlike with the FT-HS concept (that was my main point a few post back).









Vh_Supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 02:17 PM   #801
LOWFAST
Pole Position
 
LOWFAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Texas - DFW Area
Posts: 352
Default

Man I dig the FT-1 If they could bring it to market with decent power and around $75K I would figure out a way to get one. A very fresh design in my opinion, and I also agree it looks allot like the MKIV on a very basic design proportion level.
LOWFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 02:34 PM   #802
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LA
Posts: 5,027
Default Mesmerizing video of FT-1 Concept being hand drawn


http://www.supramkv.com/threads/mesm...and-drawn.146/
Vh_Supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 08:47 AM   #803
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Fl
Posts: 45
Default

I think the FT-1 looks great. You can see a few similarities from the last Supra. But it is a combination of the MKIV + 2000 GT + Celica + GT86. One thing I do want to point out is that there was a design change from the MKIII Supra to the MKIV. So I wouldn't mind it looking like the concept and rocking the Supra name plate.After all it has been out production for so many years.

One thing I do like is the fact that you really don't hear people saying oh the FT-1 looks like a Corvette. Or it looks like a corvette and a Porsche 911 got together etc. like we do with some cars. Calty did a nice job with this inspiring this car from previous Sports cars within Toyota. Look at the new NSX, tons have already said it looks like an Audi R8.

Last edited by Jason2801; 01-22-15 at 08:51 AM.
Jason2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 09:16 AM   #804
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
 
Gojirra99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 28,746
Default

Well, it does have an Enzo -like probosis
Gojirra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 09:56 AM   #805
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LA
Posts: 5,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2801 View Post
I think the FT-1 looks great. You can see a few similarities from the last Supra. But it is a combination of the MKIV + 2000 GT + Celica + GT86. One thing I do want to point out is that there was a design change from the MKIII Supra to the MKIV. So I wouldn't mind it looking like the concept and rocking the Supra name plate.After all it has been out production for so many years.

One thing I do like is the fact that you really don't hear people saying oh the FT-1 looks like a Corvette. Or it looks like a corvette and a Porsche 911 got together etc. like we do with some cars. Calty did a nice job with this inspiring this car from previous Sports cars within Toyota. Look at the new NSX, tons have already said it looks like an Audi R8.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirra99 View Post
Well, it does have an Enzo -like probosis




Vh_Supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-15, 05:08 PM   #806
Hoovey2411
Moderator
iTrader: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 33,811
Default

Definitely some F1 influence
Hoovey2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-15, 02:25 AM   #807
Levi68
Pole Position
 
Levi68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Prague
Posts: 299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason2801 View Post
I think the FT-1 looks great. You can see a few similarities from the last Supra. But it is a combination of the MKIV + 2000 GT + Celica + GT86. One thing I do want to point out is that there was a design change from the MKIII Supra to the MKIV. So I wouldn't mind it looking like the concept and rocking the Supra name plate.After all it has been out production for so many years.

One thing I do like is the fact that you really don't hear people saying oh the FT-1 looks like a Corvette. Or it looks like a corvette and a Porsche 911 got together etc. like we do with some cars. Calty did a nice job with this inspiring this car from previous Sports cars within Toyota. Look at the new NSX, tons have already said it looks like an Audi R8.

I guess those "tons" were monkeys?
Levi68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-15, 08:11 AM   #808
cino
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 1,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi68 View Post
I guess those "tons" were monkeys?
Yeah. Midship has the same basic proportion. Go look at Lamborghini Huracan, it looks like a more angular R8, is it a copycat? Just because Honda position headlight on NSX similar to where R8 headlight, doesn't make NSX a R8 clone. Lamborghini always use flat on-the-bonnet headlight design, and it looks just like... nothing out there, but Huracan/Gallardo, in fact, shares similarites with R8 than anything else. Those monkeys "kinda" don't know "automotive design".

Back to FT-1 Topic.
cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 10:13 AM   #809
GS3Tek
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: so cal
Posts: 11,352
Default

^^^Got dang love that side view
GS3Tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-15, 03:53 PM   #810
gymratter
Lead Lap
 
gymratter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 557
Default





http://www.supramkv.com/threads/mkv-...-imagined.152/
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2016 Chevy Malibu (Page 4) Vh_Supra26 Car Chat 60 04-04-15 06:12 AM
Toyota FT-86 VS Nissan IDx FreeFlow: Battle of The Japanese Compact Cars Vh_Supra26 Car Chat 16 11-28-13 02:17 AM
Two New IS-F Concepts from Tokyo Auto Salon St00k IS F (2008-2014) 46 03-10-12 01:04 PM
Honda Micro Commuter Concept Motor Car Chat 7 11-30-11 09:34 PM
CTh F-sport at Tokyo Auto Salon with different bodykit LexFather CT 200h Model (2011-present) 11 02-22-11 01:20 PM


Tags
concept, forums, ft, ft1, future, gran, gran turismo, mirai, price, sports, supra, supre, toyota, tube, turismo, vision

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved