Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-15, 12:57 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But Supra with 50% BMW engine is a fail. Just seen the other N63 thread. And look over the I6 engine problems. No thanks, would even take a Toyota I4 over BMW I6 in a Toyota car.
Old 01-20-15, 01:06 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Levi68
But Supra with 50% BMW engine is a fail. Just seen the other N63 thread. And look over the I6 engine problems. No thanks, would even take a Toyota I4 over BMW I6 in a Toyota car.
Would take new V6 3.5L DI and twin turbocharge it over BMW crap.
Old 01-20-15, 03:05 PM
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate

^ I would think this would be the cheapest route for Toyota.

But I just wonder if the co-development with BMW on the chassis they are making to share for w/e comes out of this will be best just incorporating an inline 6 rather than a V6 and/or a V8 due to the way it will be designed. This may also have to do with weight to balance ratio and driving dynamics, etc.

I would think even if this is the case, they have all the engineering that it took to make the 2JZ. So why not just rebuild the 2JZ with modern upgrades like direct injection and w/e else is needed to help meet emission regulations + improve MPG. We know the 2JZ is bullet proof and proven and I'm sure no one would mind if they bring it back to life.
Old 01-21-15, 02:53 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jason2801
^ I would think this would be the cheapest route for Toyota.

But I just wonder if the co-development with BMW on the chassis they are making to share for w/e comes out of this will be best just incorporating an inline 6 rather than a V6 and/or a V8 due to the way it will be designed. This may also have to do with weight to balance ratio and driving dynamics, etc.

I would think even if this is the case, they have all the engineering that it took to make the 2JZ. So why not just rebuild the 2JZ with modern upgrades like direct injection and w/e else is needed to help meet emission regulations + improve MPG. We know the 2JZ is bullet proof and proven and I'm sure no one would mind if they bring it back to life.
The chassis depends on how "cheap" BMW is. I hope it is mid-front engine with transaxle gearbox, otherwise it is not worth the sports-car status at that price point, with other cars like the unfortunately ugly AMG GT or the boring 911.

If the chassis has good balance with an I6, it can only be better with a V8 or V6.
Good balance is rear biased, not 50:50 as BMW marketing is claiming.
Old 01-21-15, 02:10 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I disagree about the FT1 having Supra styling cues, I don't see them especially with the F1 pointed nose, rear end, windshield/side glass, very low stance, and more dramatic styling touches, it lacks the most of the cues of the last Supra like the high loop spoiler, round tail lights, chunkier GT looks though I still think the FT1 is good looking and has potential.
Ok I don't give a crap about the NSX anymore.

So moving on. Tons of people also think FT-1 has 2000GT and MKIV in it. Even the Calty Design team said it has styling cues from past models like the MR-2, 2000GT, Celica, and Supra.

Its a concept, its suppose to be super low. Roof line did came from the 2000GT, however I did say mix of (2000GT/MKIV). MKIV didn't have the F1 nose, but there are also other styling cues. For example,:

Both the FT-1 and MKIV have wide hips.
Both cars also have a pretty high wings.
Both cars have 3 beam headlights.
Both cars have the duck tail if you will.
Both cars have the long hood and short deck.
Both cars have tons of round curves, unlike with the FT-HS concept (that was my main point a few post back).

Old 01-21-15, 02:17 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man I dig the FT-1 If they could bring it to market with decent power and around $75K I would figure out a way to get one. A very fresh design in my opinion, and I also agree it looks allot like the MKIV on a very basic design proportion level.
Old 01-21-15, 02:34 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Mesmerizing video of FT-1 Concept being hand drawn

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/mesm...and-drawn.146/
Old 01-22-15, 08:47 AM
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate

I think the FT-1 looks great. You can see a few similarities from the last Supra. But it is a combination of the MKIV + 2000 GT + Celica + GT86. One thing I do want to point out is that there was a design change from the MKIII Supra to the MKIV. So I wouldn't mind it looking like the concept and rocking the Supra name plate.After all it has been out production for so many years.

One thing I do like is the fact that you really don't hear people saying oh the FT-1 looks like a Corvette. Or it looks like a corvette and a Porsche 911 got together etc. like we do with some cars. Calty did a nice job with this inspiring this car from previous Sports cars within Toyota. Look at the new NSX, tons have already said it looks like an Audi R8.

Last edited by Jason2801; 01-22-15 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-22-15, 09:16 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Well, it does have an Enzo -like probosis
Old 01-22-15, 09:56 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I think the FT-1 looks great. You can see a few similarities from the last Supra. But it is a combination of the MKIV + 2000 GT + Celica + GT86. One thing I do want to point out is that there was a design change from the MKIII Supra to the MKIV. So I wouldn't mind it looking like the concept and rocking the Supra name plate.After all it has been out production for so many years.

One thing I do like is the fact that you really don't hear people saying oh the FT-1 looks like a Corvette. Or it looks like a corvette and a Porsche 911 got together etc. like we do with some cars. Calty did a nice job with this inspiring this car from previous Sports cars within Toyota. Look at the new NSX, tons have already said it looks like an Audi R8.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Well, it does have an Enzo -like probosis

Old 01-22-15, 05:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Definitely some F1 influence
Old 01-23-15, 02:25 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

I guess those "tons" were monkeys?
Old 01-23-15, 08:11 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Levi68
I guess those "tons" were monkeys?
Yeah. Midship has the same basic proportion. Go look at Lamborghini Huracan, it looks like a more angular R8, is it a copycat? Just because Honda position headlight on NSX similar to where R8 headlight, doesn't make NSX a R8 clone. Lamborghini always use flat on-the-bonnet headlight design, and it looks just like... nothing out there, but Huracan/Gallardo, in fact, shares similarites with R8 than anything else. Those monkeys "kinda" don't know "automotive design".

Back to FT-1 Topic.
Old 01-27-15, 10:13 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

^^^Got dang love that side view
Old 01-27-15, 03:53 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/mkv-...-imagined.152/

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1