Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 01:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

that graphite color is great... we can see more of the design with it and it is awesome.
Old 08-15-14, 02:15 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the red better lol
Old 08-15-14, 02:22 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^I wonder why
Old 08-15-14, 06:42 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Toyota gives classier look to FT-1 concept

MONTEREY, Calif -- Instead of wild and fun, Toyota just showed off a more sophisticated side to its FT-1 concept.

The mere fact that Toyota made a second FT-1, shown here to well-heeled crowd in an aircraft hanger, increases the likelihood that it may come to production. And no, it's not being called the FT-2.

This is serious stuff: When it the earlier one was shown in Detroit in January, some suggested that it come mark the revival of the Toyota Supra.

In January, it drew comparisons to being a more sophisticated version of the fun little Scion FR-S. The car was racy red with a black interior. To dress it up for the Pebble Beach shows here, the car is now a gray gunmetal color with saddle-leather upholstery.

"There were so many requests for the car we wanted to see it in a different color, with a different interior," says Alex Shen, studio chief designer at Toyota's Calty Design center in Newport Beach, Calif.

The new look gives the car a whole new vibe -- making it more of a competitor against luxury sports cars.

"We wanted to create a deeper sense of emotion," says William Chergosky, who designed the interior. To do it, says he resisted to design "with my head and designed with my heart."

The leather look wasn't just limiteed to appearance. Instead of new-car smell, the interior has the scent of a walk through a saddle and tack store in horse country. "It's a little more sophisticated," Chergosky says.

Which one does Chen prefer? Predictably, he isn't ready to choose among his children.

"To me, they both look great," he says.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...ft-1/14068029/
Old 08-16-14, 08:22 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Toyota ft-1 second edition- 08.14.14

Concept cars are like mythical creatures. Stunningly beautiful, comprised of so many things you wish you had… packaged up in a way you’re not sure would survive in the real world. Often you see them poised spinning on a platform at car shows, behind the rope on the Pebble Beach putting green, raced as renders in a video game… So I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to go play with the updated Toyota FT-1 when they offered a chance to put it anywhere I wanted at Calty Design Research, their North American design studio in Newport Beach, last week before it headed to Pebble Beach. With all the stunning (usual?) press photos coming, I was thrilled to imagine what it would be like if it was a real car, in real life, that you could really drive home… to look at the details, as if imagining them coming out of your driveway as you head up the coast along the beach…

The Toyota FT-1 second edition that Toyota just unveiled last night… is not a new car. The Second Toyota FT-1 Concept LOOKS a lot like a new car, but it’s really a second styling of their FT-1 Concept that was launched in January 2014 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Calty Design Research. The original was an experiment in what they love to call “functional sculpting,” where everything you see is contributing to the function of the car. They designed it around beautiful puddles of color, which is apparent in every mesmerizing reflection.

For this second edition, the Interior and Color+Trim designers were challenged to make the maximum impact with minimal changes, and wow. Unlike most cars - which start out designed and rendered in silver/grays, the FT-1 was always designed in RED, and has gone back to the more traditional for its second edition in Graphite. The Graphite Exterior with Saddle and Black Leather Interior couldn’t make it feel more different than the racer reds of the first edition. The look and feel have taken the Speed Racer feel of the first and made it more Bruce Wayne. It still screams sporty superhero, but with a bit more of a luxurious, understated twist. Ready to dive into the details of this stunning new colorway on the next page?

Let’s start with the fantasy… imagine the Toyota FT-1 is real… and pulling out of your driveway…

… in actuality, I found a seldom used nook in the back of the Calty grounds with a residential like hedge and basketball court. But we can dream. First impressions with this car are mean, aggressive, and super curvy. The reflections are incredible!

Every new angle and new environment reflected in the FT-1 shows off different curves…

Here are some of my favorite exterior details…

Most incredible detail - the DOORS! swoon - look at the fish hook like curve in the door. And that solid carbon fiber with the leather floating ever so slightly - or as the designers said “only where you need it”…

And the new wheels! Well same wheels as the original of course, but the colors make a world of difference. They are just stunning up close!

Old 08-16-14, 08:23 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

And the mirrors!

The detailing and textures in the LED lighting…

… heading inside… the camel/black leather combined with the technical carbon fiber and metal create a luxuriously comfortable yet refined cockpit of sorts to keep the driver focused on the task at hand (driving!)…

Exploring the details inside the design studio - note the scaled clay model and early sketches behind!

Every tiniest detail has been thoughtfully designed. From the headsup display and steering wheel graphics to the shifters and window tabs… look at the gas and thermometer gauges!

In the studio I was able to see the original FT-1 leathers versus the second edition -

… as well as the FT-1 concept in the context of the original clay models and sketches.

Calty gave us a peek into the making of this latest edition…

Here you can really see what a difference the interior has on the feel of the space…

… and a peek at the final color and trim decisions they landed on for a more modern and luxurious twist on their luscious sports car.

In the Calty lobby, you can’t miss the original FT-1 exterior and interior prototypes… positioned in front of their timeline of 40 years of stunning design work!

Of the stunning clay sculptures their modelers have created, this one of Bumble Bee is still my favorite! Some day our cars will transform?

But until then i’ll be dreaming about this futuristic supercar of a Toyota FT-1 becoming a reality… rolling out of my driveway…

http://www.notcot.com/archives/2014/...nd-edition.php

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 09-25-16 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-16-14, 08:31 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

awesome pics... thanks for sharing
Old 08-16-14, 08:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That steering wheel is sweet..
Old 08-16-14, 08:20 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

that is the best drivers side door I've ever seen lol. seriously they need to make this car
Old 08-17-14, 10:34 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

This design is Epic
SUPRA!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-14, 03:24 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Toyota FT-1 Concept Grays out Pebble Beach Concept Lawn

Toyota is dropping a not-so-subtle hint this week that its push for a new sports car as a spiritual successor to the Supra are alive and well.

In an unusual move, the company built a second copy of its FT-1 concept car, this time dressed in gray pain rather than the red it had during the surprise debut last January in Detroit. This time, the interior is revised with more premium-looking materials better suited to the environment and on-lookers at Pebble Beach.

But aside from that, news about the car is sparse at best. Official details about the powertrain and pricing are still unavailable although Toyota is expected to price the production car somewhere around $60,000 when it arrives.

Old 08-20-14, 12:38 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Calty’s Wonder Woman

How the FT-1 Concept became a super hero’s fortress

Inside Her Art – With the latest FT-1 Lee and her team showed how a simple color swap can change the personality of a car. Where the first version’s black was more Batcave, this tan interior appears more luxurious.

August 20, 2014

Sellene Lee has plenty of other interests besides cars. And that might be her greatest strength as a creative designer in Calty Color and Trim department.

Lee’s passion isn’t for what’s under a vehicle’s hood, but for what’s between its doors. And her work on the interior of the FT-1 Concept is turning heads.

Yes, there’s an inside to the FT-1. You may not have realized that, considering so much of the car’s buzz surrounds its sleek body. But Lee and her team developed an interior befitting the power of the car’s exterior. And, as the second FT-1 showed us last week, a simple color change can create a completely different concept within a car. It’s still the exact same car, but suddenly, the FT-1 has gone from super hero noir to plush luxury. That’s what Lee had in mind when she switched the interior’s dominant color from black to tan.

Lee was born in Seoul, South Korea, and came to the United States after graduating college. Outside of work, she’s turns furniture into art to display in Southern California galleries. She’s also a pretty huge movie buff. And all that went into creating a dynamic interior design for both FT-1 Concepts.

We sat down with Sellene to talk about the FT-1 and its super hero roots.

How did the FT-1’s powerful interior come about?
Each team, after the research, comes up with a key story for the whole project. For my team, I researched and came up with my own inspiration for color and trim based on super heroes. Mostly when I get my inspiration, it’s spontaneous. The new Superman poster for “Man of Steel” just grabbed my eye. I thought it was interesting to see how super hero costumes evolved over time. That was the seed. After that I researched the oldest super hero costumes and just took them as inspiration.

So Superman’s history was the inspiration for the original concept?
Yes! Before, the super hero costume was color-coded tights. It was interesting to see the “Man of Steel” poster. It’s very monotone, not just blue and red anymore. And you have all these intricate details. It’s a very interesting evolution of the Superman costume. We kept talking about the FT-1 interior being like a superhero suit that optimized the functionality of the driver. So I thought, ‘If I take the inspiration from the new super hero costume, I can apply it to the color theme of the FT-1.’

How does the super hero theme mesh with the rest of the interior?
The super hero costume is about optimizing the super heroes. The original color scheme is very monotone, black with a touch of red with an accent function. We wanted the driver’s seat to be comfortable so we used a soft, natural grain leather for where the driver touches with his body. The rest, we wanted to make it very functional.

Showing Off – One of Lee’s proudest moments at Toyota was the crowd’s reaction at the FT-1’s January debut in Detroit.

What are the interior differences between the first FT-1 Concept and the one unveiled last week?
The first version is very raw, masculine and sporty. But just by changing the color, you can see how much the product can change in perception. The color makes the product more premium. We were thinking maybe some people really want this sporty car, but they’re more comfortable with an upscale image. So we tried to make this version upscale but with a minimum amount of changes.

What was your favorite part of the FT-1 design process?
It was really fun for me because it was the first time all of our team members worked together in the research phase. Designing a car is different from designing furniture or something smaller scale. In order to make one car, you need a lot of different talents working together. So no one can be the product’s sole owner. I don’t have an automotive design background, so I brought a different perspective. I really enjoyed working with and learning from so many car enthusiasts. It was a really fun collaboration.

Do your other interests help you in your job?
My background is product design, so I have always been into smaller-scale design. But the auto industry wants a fresh perspective, and my background helps me infuse fresh ideas. I love design and art and music. Those different perspectives in the design world are helping me do this job now.

By Dan Nied
http://toyotadriverseat.com/associat...nder-woman.htm

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 08-20-14 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-20-14, 02:31 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

luving this car more and more with every pic....
Old 08-20-14, 07:24 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Old 08-21-14, 08:20 PM
LexFather

Utterly jaw dropping inside and out...can't believe Toyota nailed it like this...

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1